The Ole Ball Coach

Weegle777

I have always liked CSS. He Is a great coach no doubt. Last night SC was 6 of 14 on 3rd down, that in itself is good. Problem was they went 5 of 6 on 4th down. When was the last time you saw a team go for 6 forth downs in a game ? When teams get desperate at the end of a game a lot of times are successful. Had that first one had failed the score would have been a slaughter. WDE

We were damn lucky to have intercepted USC on their second drive. I don't think we would have won had they gone up 21-0.

Unless the SEC reorganizes again or Auburn and USCe meet in the SEC championship game, we will not play USCe again until 2021.

Last night was probably the last time a Steve Spurrier coached team will ever play in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

I don't think he would take this career path, but I think it would be a hoot if he took the last USCe's coach's place on ESPN. I wonder if they would let him use a few free shoes university type jabs.

No question ...he kicked our ass....less talent all over the place but we did not have much of an answer for him. His game plan for AU was outstanding....took advantage of every defensive weakness.

What a great game but about gave me heart failure.

he was almost 100% of attacking the weakness on D last night. He went after the Therezie on their best receiver in the slot often, knew when the blitz was coming and adjusted for quick hitting plays, let our "pass rush" get suckered in on screens and runs away from the pressure, and he had a great set up with his WR routes causing our own defenders to pick each other if they were playing press coverage or getting the slot guy to adjust the LB covering the flat.

Total respect for CSS.

The Universe and i want him back at Florida. It wont happen, but CSS will be remembered for being the class of the SEC for several decades.

I've enjoyed this thread......seems funny how much better everyone likes the OBC when he can't quite figure out how to beat us. I suspect that If he were 5-0 or something against us at USCe we might not be so magnanimous .....but also, he's aged gracefully and that's something for us to admire...especially those of us from his generation.

The SEC does indeed have some outstanding coaches....even some of the guys we hate are pretty damned good. Guys like Spurrier are going to be hard to replace in the years to come.

It is going to be a sad day for the SEC when Steve does retire. No only is he one of the greatest coaches in the history of the conference he is obviously the most fun coach we have ever had. Just ask Free Shoes University.

Yeah, I used to hate him at UF.

He always seemed to beat some directional school 63-0.

Then one day I heard him say that it wasn't his job to keep his team from scoring. That made a lot of sense to me. I always used to let up a little if I got ahead of someone in something competitive. I always liked playing against people who were better than I was, since then I could give my unrestrained best. But what Spurrier said showed me something about me. Why was I making myself perform worse just to play down to my competition? That wasn't my job.

Anyway, after that, I sorta started to like him, unless we were playing UF.

Now I like him. But I also like beating him.

;D

I heard a similar line from a coach re: running up the score and I attribute it to Spurrier as well - though I might be remembering wrong.

The coach said, when asked why, when his team was winning going away and the game was waning, he chose to go for it on 4th down rather than kick a field goal, the insinuation being that he was running up the score.

The reply was that kicking a field goal is, in fact, the play that would have been running up the score. At least by going for it on 4th down, he's giving the other team a chance to make a stop.

Changed my thinking on the matter, to be sure.

I don't recall Spurrier ever having any respect for Auburn until Gus got here. He's developed quite a reputation for being a great interview because of his willingness to throw out a few well timed barbs. Auburn has been the subject of quite a few Spurrier zingers over the years but mostly when he was at UF. I have been reminded that he did that to everybody, which is true, but that doesn't mean I had to like it when he did it to Auburn.

It'd suit me just fine if we never had to face him again. He's a great coach but I always enjoyed seeing him lose...just sayin.

The more I think of that game, that was the most balls-out job of offensive coaching I have ever seen.

ESPN has what they call Instant classics and that game should qualify....if for no other reason than the OBC's go for broke attitude all night. That's a rare thing these days where we still see a 20 point underdog, down 28 points, kick a field goal on fourth and goal.

Spurrier is the best. I liked him at UF as well. One of his best press conferences after a game (I think) they lost, he kept referring to his team as "the mighty florida gators". He is a funny guy that pokes fun at himself, his team, but always at others. I will miss him and Les (if he goes to MSU). They are amusing guys.

I have yet to find the alleged quote of Spurrier's about sabn and bamr being the perfect match. But it sounds like something he would say.

Not sure that this is what you're thinking but this one wasn't bad, back a couple years ago...

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2012/steve-spurrier-quotes/

"Here’s Spurrier taking a jab at Nick Saban and what he’s accomplished at Alabama:

“He’s got a nice little gig going, a little bit like (John) Calipari. He tells guys, ‘Hey, three years from now, you’re going to be a first-round pick and go.’ If he wants to be the greatest coach or one of the greatest coaches in college football, to me, he has to go somewhere besides Alabama and win, because they’ve always won there at Alabama.”

I have yet to find the alleged quote of Spurrier's about sabn and bamr being the perfect match. But it sounds like something he would say.

Not sure that this is what you're thinking but this one wasn't bad, back a couple years ago...

http://www.saturdayd...purrier-quotes/

"Here’s Spurrier taking a jab at Nick Saban and what he’s accomplished at Alabama:

“He’s got a nice little gig going, a little bit like (John) Calipari. He tells guys, ‘Hey, three years from now, you’re going to be a first-round pick and go.’ If he wants to be the greatest coach or one of the greatest coaches in college football, to me, he has to go somewhere besides Alabama and win, because they’ve always won there at Alabama.”

No. thats not it.

It was along the lines sabn being the perfect coach for bamr. An unscrupolous coach at a school where the fans don't know any better.

Or something similar

It was somewhere along the lines of "a coach that doesn't practice morals and character, with a fan base that doesn't have either"

That's it or pretty close.

But i have yet to find it anywhere as a true quote of his.

Something not mentioned yet in this thread is that Spurrier was inside the mind of his former DC all night long. It seemed like he knew what defense CEJ would be in and had the perfect play to exploit it more often than not. Playing mind games with Spurrier is like going into a knife fight against a guy with a howitzer.

I remember researching that quote. He never said it, but it doesn't mean we're not all thinking it....

Something not mentioned yet in this thread is that Spurrier was inside the mind of his former DC all night long. It seemed like he knew what defense CEJ would be in and had the perfect play to exploit it more often than not. Playing mind games with Spurrier is like going into a knife fight against a guy with a howitzer.

Actually in a knife fight, I'd like my chances against a guy with a howitzer. ;D

Archived