Ellis Johnson

Ed_

Why are people talking about bringing Rocker in as a DC. I'm sorry but at our program's current level I don't think we should be bringing in anyone other than a proven DC. Would love Rock back as a position coach/asst. DC but not as actual DC.

He can't do no worse, and besides that, at least he would be on the field instead of the press box. I also believe he would get the best out of his players. And hold players accountable for their missed tackles, especially not wrapping up and diving at feet

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because someone played football at AU, doesn't make them a great coach. Kevin Green was a standout and pro player but he has no coaching experience. CRG isn't a DC; I'm not sure his Dline coaching is all that. Rocker is a position coach not DC. If and when the time comes, we need a very good and proven DC who can recruit and bring hard missed football back.

Kevin Greene was a Linebacker coach in the NFL. Wasn't saying he should be DC, but on staff.

I've been a CEJ supporter, but that is changing rapidly. My only question is, who would we hire? All I've seen as suggestions on here is Tracy Rocker and Coach Boom. I'm not sure Boom will come back because of how his last stint ended and Rocker has never been a DC before. Would Ole Miss's DC be good?

I've been a CEJ supporter, but that is changing rapidly. My only question is, who would we hire? All I've seen as suggestions on here is Tracy Rocker and Coach Boom. I'm not sure Boom will come back because of how his last stint ended and Rocker has never been a DC before. Would Ole Miss's DC be good?

Might need to look outside the SEC. :dunno:

The AU Defense cannot stop anyone 3rd and long, and how many 4th downs did USCe get against the AU defense? Weren't they 4 for 4 or maybe even 5 for 5? This is on Johnson. He's the leader of the defense. It's also on Gus since he's the head coach.

this still baffles me... How can you be SO awful at 3rd and long ?

^This^ I've almost come to expect the opposition to pick up anything 3rd and 7 or shorter

I can't help but believe there is something more going on here. Some of our players are regressing. Some have just disappeared. The episode with Whitehead indicates some sort of dysfunction or dissension.

I can't help but believe there is something more going on here. Some of our players are regressing. Some have just disappeared. The episode with Whitehead indicates some sort of dysfunction or dissension.

You can't help but wonder, you might be right.

The AU Defense cannot stop anyone 3rd and long, and how many 4th downs did USCe get against the AU defense? Weren't they 4 for 4 or maybe even 5 for 5? This is on Johnson. He's the leader of the defense. It's also on Gus since he's the head coach.

I believe they were 4/5. I bet they couldn't do that on any other team in the SEC. I fully expect Johnson to finish the season. I don't expect him to change anything, though. I'll be disappointed in him if he puts more blame on his players. KSU, MSU, MSU, Utah - they all have much better Ds with far less talent. It ain't the players.

Michigan st has really great players. Especially on corner and secondary. Line is tough too

I know the defense is great. I'm watching it. They out recruited Auburn?

28 points and 332 yards allowed in the first half is great defense? WOW... things are worse than I thought at Auburn.

They're making stops, are keeping their team in the game, and are not playing aTm. They are strong in fundamentals and are doing a helluva lot better job right now than our D did tonight.

I thought about it and figured it all out. I will call Gus later tomorrow.

We hire a 1st half defensive coordinator and keep EJ as the 2nd half DC. :homer:

Don't throw stuff at me!!!

I have seen a lot of posts in this thread and the post game thread talking about halftime adjustments and I have a question about that. Is this a product of CEJ being in the booth instead of on the field during the game? In other words, is there a problem with communication between CEJ in the booth and somebody else on the sideline that conveys his message to the players? If CEJ was on the sideline, where he can look his players in the eye and coach them up, could he make those adjustments sooner?

I have seen a lot of posts in this thread and the post game thread talking about halftime adjustments and I have a question about that. Is this a product of CEJ being in the booth instead of on the field during the game? In other words, is there a problem with communication between CEJ in the booth and somebody else on the sideline that conveys his message to the players? If CEJ was on the sideline, where he can look his players in the eye and coach them up, could he make those adjustments sooner?

From experience I say no to scheme adjustments but yes to effort and attitude adjustments

Ding, Ding, Ding. Even Q said after half "That Auburn was showing what they were going to do" & you have a freshman q-back with his first start on the road & you are not trying to confuse or get in his head, really ? Are our player so out of it that we have to be so base D.

AU is not in the top 50 in total defense.

AU is 16 in total offense (Alabama is 11)

Alabama is better because their defense gets off the field...teams are having long drives against us

My point is that if we had a defense that was top 50... We'd score enough to win every game. Not being in the top 50 is incredibly hard to deal with.

Bye Ellis hope you're not a coach next week for auburn

Hope all you want, but that would be just plain stupid. That move would be so devastating to the team. Not calling you out, but some on here are very near sited when it comes to football and/or football programs..

OK. I respect you and your opinion. Why do you disagree? I can be persuaded, heck, I'm an Auburn man. Give me a reason. Is it scheme? Do we have to have the recruits for the scheme? Am I just dumb? The latter would make me feel better about my team, so don't hesitate to unload!

Not here to defend CEJ but players need to make plays. Missed tackles (diving at legs not wrapping up), poor angles, not setting edges, lack of understanding the scheme, DL being pushed around and poor discipline (inc. penalties). But as others have mentioned we have seen that since 2009. Watching LSU and Bama play it's amazing how their defenses can actually tackle and look for the ball. We have M. Kennedy pinned in the backfield (jet sweep) for a loss, 2 players in position to make a play, and it turns into a big gain... CEJ or the players? Oh well, looks like the final 2 games will determine what kind of team this is.

I don't think our defense is as bad as everyone says it is. This game was not lost because of our defense. Here are my reasons.

1. We gave them a 14 point lead. 7 came off the fumble on our first offensive possession.

2. We gave up a blocked fg returned for a td

3. Our defense was the reason we were able to make a comeback after the slow first half, forcing turnovers and limiting their tds.

4. Our defense gave our offense 2 opportunities to win. We just didn't get the job done unfortunately.

I personally think our defense will not be as good statistically as in the past because our offensive pace gives our defense more possessions to defend and less time to recover and prepare for the next drive. Also since it is known we are going to score, teams are going to open their playbok and throw everything at us offensively, whereas if you are playing teams like lsu or bama, teams will focus on field position and limit their playbook.

I'm EXTREMELY disappointed in the defensive execution. Too many busted coverages where no one is even in position to miss a tackle. That's coaching, pure and simple.

Archived