Ellis Johnson

Ed_

Eagle eye is dead on. Let's not forget the pick 6 that JJ dropped in the first half. Coach Sumlin was sand bagging in the game against LA Monroe. They did not run the same offense as they did yesterday.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eagle eye is dead on. Let's not forget the pick 6 that JJ dropped in the first half. Coach Sumlin was sand bagging in the game against LA Monroe. They did not run the same offense as they did yesterday.

Ok but then we are back to coaching and improper preparation and inability to make adjustments before halftime. Everyone has learned that they can change up what they do on offense and we won't catch up until at least halftime.

Let me make one disclaimer, anyone looking for a Pat Dye or Tubbervile AU defense is already lost. The game has moved to offense and those defense do not exist anymore. If you want to compare we gave up the same amount of yards to LSU that uat did and we gave up less to Arky than uat did. The reason their defense seems to look better is their offense is usually much slower paced and prevents a lot of scoring on either side. Going into the game last night our defense ranked in the top 25 in most catagories and even some in the top 10. Everyone needs to remember that was no ordinary freshman last night. He was a 5 star recruit, #1 QB in the country. Most insiders figured he was better than thrill Hill but since he was a freshman Hill got the start. USCe made Hill look like the second coming of Johnny Football but then he got exposed. Sumlin has been bringing Allen along slowly. TAM was not as good as they played against USCe and not as bad as they played against uat. That said we made a lot of bad tackles and missed assignments on defense last night. That has re-occurred over the last 3 games. Also the game could have turned on so many points. The ten point swing on the botched FG. Of course the other three turnovers. A couple of dropped passes and some more dumb penalties. Plenty of room for blame other than just defense. As I said other places, the schedule was as bad as I have ever seen. Most pundits early on said we would lose 3 or 4 games due to that schedule. So we fans need to just suck it up and put or big boy pants on and support this team. Maybe this loss and the loss of the pressure will make some improvement and we can win out and get good bowl game. Every year is not going to be a championship year. By the way when I looked at the missed FG it sure looks like the guy beat someone of the corner unblocked and got to the ball, and also made the recovery. WDE

The guy that came around the corner didn't block it. #15 coming over the right tackle got enough penetration to block it.

Let me make one disclaimer, anyone looking for a Pat Dye or Tubbervile AU defense is already lost. The game has moved to offense and those defense do not exist anymore. If you want to compare we gave up the same amount of yards to LSU that uat did and we gave up less to Arky than uat did. The reason their defense seems to look better is their offense is usually much slower paced and prevents a lot of scoring on either side. Going into the game last night our defense ranked in the top 25 in most catagories and even some in the top 10. Everyone needs to remember that was no ordinary freshman last night. He was a 5 star recruit, #1 QB in the country. Most insiders figured he was better than thrill Hill but since he was a freshman Hill got the start. USCe made Hill look like the second coming of Johnny Football but then he got exposed. Sumlin has been bringing Allen along slowly. TAM was not as good as they played against USCe and not as bad as they played against uat. That said we made a lot of bad tackles and missed assignments on defense last night. That has re-occurred over the last 3 games. Also the game could have turned on so many points. The ten point swing on the botched FG. Of course the other three turnovers. A couple of dropped passes and some more dumb penalties. Plenty of room for blame other than just defense. As I said other places, the schedule was as bad as I have ever seen. Most pundits early on said we would lose 3 or 4 games due to that schedule. So we fans need to just suck it up and put or big boy pants on and support this team. Maybe this loss and the loss of the pressure will make some improvement and we can win out and get good bowl game. Every year is not going to be a championship year. By the way when I looked at the missed FG it sure looks like the guy beat someone of the corner unblocked and got to the ball, and also made the recovery. WDE

1) We are 54th in yards allowed and scoring defense this season. So statistically speaking we are in the middle of the pack; AL, FL, GA, Ole Miss, LSU, all give up less PPG than us. Even TN gives up less PPG than us and is ranked 7 points higher in YPG given up.

2) We are 91st in passing defense...there's just not much to say about that...speaks for itself

3) I have seen Kyle Allen play all his games this year...my daughter is an Aggie. He has looked very average in all his previous games; throwing INT's in mop up action and this performance against ULM; his only start was cause for alarm with the Aggie nation. He threw for a whopping 118 yards against ULM who is ranked 61st in passing YPG surrendered. His is 18; a true Freshman...he looks 14.

4) Pat Dye and Tubb's D's do exist; AL is only giving up 14 PPG; LSU 16; Ole Miss 11....you get the picture...Tubbs and Dye defenses don't exist at Auburn anymore apparently; even though our Defensive salaries are now in the top 5 of college football

5) Did you see TAMU at Alabama? Ole Miss? State? This team was abysmal. I cannot for the life of me figure out how we did not beat them 50 points

6) The missed FG was blocked by a true freshman; Myles Garret from off left tackle. The picture is famous on Aggie message boards this morning. There was also a missed block on the wing.

I cannot believe we can't cover anyone; ever; no matter who we play; we make every QB look amazing. Watch the films; the DB's typically have their backs to both the receiver and QB with no clue where the ball is. If this is how they are coached then this staff has to go. If this is the execution we are getting with the talent we have; well, that's another matter I guess. I can only assume that if there was any option to play better talent we would. We need an all out DB recruiting effort...get 3 or 4 JUCO guys if needed....but get some talent.

If we are going to get a new D Coordinator; then get the best young D mind in football. We pay enough; that should not be an issue. Don't get a Manny Diaz type retread; he was a disaster at TX these past few years.

Everyone had to know ULM was a mere dress rehearsal for aTm. After all they had done, and with all Sumlin has shown, over the past season and years... my question is.. does Coach Johnson even bother w/ watching video of the opposing team's offense ?

It sure as hell doesn't appear so. They CONSTANTLY look completely caught off guard and lost out there.

Meanwhile, other teams sniff our OUR plays are are in our backfield, blowing things up. How the MF hell does that happen,over and over again??

Maybe the Whitehead situation was more far-reaching and had more of an impact on more than just Whitehead. Maybe GW was the only one that had the balls to speak out while the others remained silent. As intelligent as Whitehead is, why would he risk losing playing time unless he and others felt that someone needed to speak up? I think that there might be more to it than we see.

I cannot believe we can't cover anyone; ever; no matter who we play; we make every QB look amazing. Watch the films; the DB's typically have their backs to both the receiver and QB with no clue where the ball is. If this is how they are coached then this staff has to go. If this is the execution we are getting with the talent we have; well, that's another matter I guess. I can only assume that if there was any option to play better talent we would. We need an all out DB recruiting effort...get 3 or 4 JUCO guys if needed....but get some talent.

Which seems impossible, but yeah, that seem to be playing the open grass, and not the ball, the receiver, or noticing what the QB is doing.

If we are going to get a new D Coordinator; then get the best young D mind in football. We pay enough; that should not be an issue. Don't get a Manny Diaz type retread; he was a disaster at TX these past few years.

I thought Coach Boom was gonna be available, but now I'm not so sure.

:lol:

We do need to get someone else in there. Of course, I've been saying that since Ted Roof was our DC, and we've really not had a GOOD defense since Tuberville was here.

So, I like many watched AU and UAT back to back yesterday and the differences in our defensive abilities were more than obvious. The most obvious was the ability to tackle. AU, for the most part, was not wrapping up or breaking down or doing any of the fundamentals correctly. Often out of position and just plain out bad. We have gotten worse as the year has gone on. Gus must address this. I will trust in Gus to do the right thing, but I hope he gets serious about defensive recruiting. This team will not crumble and the future is bright.

Maybe the Whitehead situation was more far-reaching and had more of an impact on more than just Whitehead. Maybe GW was the only one that had the balls to speak out while the others remained silent. As intelligent as Whitehead is, why would he risk losing playing time unless he and others felt that someone needed to speak up? I think that there might be more to it than we see.

Can't be a coincidence that there seems that level of animosity on that side of the ball and there being such an abysmal fall off from earlier this year. Holding K-State to 14, LSU to 7, and despite our offense handing Miss State 21, we still really only gave up 17 to their offense.

35, 31, 41 pts given up. In the past 3 SEC games, against 2 really bad teams, and losing to one of them.

Inexcusable.

Bama is not afraid to hit, they punish anyone with the ball by trying to run thru them. We don't, it looks like we play with our eyes closed while looking like we're taking swimming lessons by diving at feet

I have no argument to keep CEJ, and agree with you that he should go. Our defense has regressed with him. WE always make adjustments at the half and at least play better in the second half. Why can we not be ready from the start? The game is 60 minutes and not 30 minutes long.

This is my exact thinking. Why in the world does it take us until halftime to make adjustments? Why don't we make those after the first 2 or 3 drives?

Weegs, we think alike on this subject. And that scares the helloutta me. :hellyeah:

Weegs, we think alike on this subject. And that scares the helloutta me. :hellyeah:

It's definitely a plausible and frightening possibility. Maybe it's fortunate we're ignorant of what really happened.

Our defense actually kept us in a couple of games early on. It is so disheartening to see them digress and be so lost out there. It looks like we have the talent...they do occassionally make a play. But the breakdowns are across the board. The D-line, the linebackers and the secondary look like they don't know what is going on. We can't expect to hang 38 on Georgia and Bama, and even if we did it might not be enough there either. I know we were all hoping to be the first SEC team in the playoffs and barring a miracle, that's not going to happen now.

The good news is, our new trees will probably be safe.

If coach Malzahn doesn't name a new defensive coordinator for next year, then we will lose 3 and maybe 4 games in 2015. If that happens, Gus may find himself on the hotseat. Who's the DC's at Louisville and Arizona State?

If coach Malzahn doesn't name a new defensive coordinator for next year, then we will lose 3 and maybe 4 games in 2015. If that happens, Gus may find himself on the hotseat. Who's the DC's at Louisville and Arizona State?

I'll take what we got over Grantham.

I'll wait till the end of the year and see where we come out like a rational person would. I trust in Coach Malzahn to do what's best for the team.

Torches and pitchforks are not needed at this point. If we end the season on an abysmal losing streak because of defensive break downs, I'll join everyone who wants to march through town looking for a scapegoat like a scene out of an old Frankenstein monster movie. Until then....it's thUGA week.

War Damn Eagle!!!

We haven't really had any defense since 2008. It's pretty frustrating.

We haven't had any pass defense. We've done pretty well with the run defense overall. Pretty consistent play from the defensive front and linebackers on that end of things.

Just because someone played football at AU, doesn't make them a great coach. Kevin Green was a standout and pro player but he has no coaching experience. CRG isn't a DC; I'm not sure his Dline coaching is all that. Rocker is a position coach not DC. If and when the time comes, we need a very good and proven DC who can recruit and bring hard missed football back.

Bingo!

I think you give any coaching staff 4 years to show what they can do.

Pulling the trigger too soon can be self-defeating.

I think you give any coaching staff 4 years to show what they can do.

Pulling the trigger too soon can be self-defeating.

If you have to build a program practically from the ground up and bring in two or maybe three recruiting classes maybe. This program was supposed to have a good amount of talent that would be ready to go. It just needed coaching.

Just because someone played football at AU, doesn't make them a great coach. Kevin Green was a standout and pro player but he has no coaching experience. CRG isn't a DC; I'm not sure his Dline coaching is all that. Rocker is a position coach not DC. If and when the time comes, we need a very good and proven DC who can recruit and bring hard missed football back.

Bingo!

Kevin was Outside Linebacker Coach for the Green bay Pacers for four years. He stepped away after last season to spend time with his wife and family. He felt like coaching was taking too much of his life and he needed to spend more time with his family. He hopes to return to coaching after his kids are in college.

Archived