Ellis Johnson

Ed_

I thought about it and figured it all out. I will call Gus later tomorrow.

We hire a 1st half defensive coordinator and keep EJ as the 2nd half DC. :homer:

Don't throw stuff at me!!!

Can you do that? :yes: Yes. I'm that desperate. :(

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think our defense is as bad as everyone says it is. This game was not lost because of our defense. Here are my reasons.

1. We gave them a 14 point lead. 7 came off the fumble on our first offensive possession.

2. We gave up a blocked fg returned for a td

3. Our defense was the reason we were able to make a comeback after the slow first half, forcing turnovers and limiting their tds.

4. Our defense gave our offense 2 opportunities to win. We just didn't get the job done unfortunately.

I personally think our defense will not be as good statistically as in the past because our offensive pace gives our defense more possessions to defend and less time to recover and prepare for the next drive. Also since it is known we are going to score, teams are going to open their playbok and throw everything at us offensively, whereas if you are playing teams like lsu or bama, teams will focus on field position and limit their playbook.

We are slower on offense than the tide. We are not running fast on O. So we are just bad? This excuse doesn't wash. Ask Stat Tiger.

I thought about it and figured it all out. I will call Gus later tomorrow.

We hire a 1st half defensive coordinator and keep EJ as the 2nd half DC. :homer:

Don't throw stuff at me!!!

Can you do that? :yes: Yes. I'm that desperate. :(

:noevil:

I don't think our defense is as bad as everyone says it is. This game was not lost because of our defense. Here are my reasons.

1. We gave them a 14 point lead. 7 came off the fumble on our first offensive possession.

2. We gave up a blocked fg returned for a td

3. Our defense was the reason we were able to make a comeback after the slow first half, forcing turnovers and limiting their tds.

4. Our defense gave our offense 2 opportunities to win. We just didn't get the job done unfortunately.

I personally think our defense will not be as good statistically as in the past because our offensive pace gives our defense more possessions to defend and less time to recover and prepare for the next drive. Also since it is known we are going to score, teams are going to open their playbok and throw everything at us offensively, whereas if you are playing teams like lsu or bama, teams will focus on field position and limit their playbook.

I didn't read any of this except "I don't think this defense isnt that bad" and yes it is

We didn't just give them a 14 point lead - they took it from our porous D. Just like the MSU game. Just because you make some mistakes on offense doesn't mean you have to roll over and give up TDs every time. We look ill-prepared on defense out of the locker room almost every game. Inexcusable.

I don't think our defense is as bad as everyone says it is. This game was not lost because of our defense.

Whoa, Hoss! Stop right there. Please feel free to avail yourself the use of the myriad offerings provided by the King of all things statistical, StatTiger. For starters, peruse the After Game Report Card. This defense is a fire-engulfed 11 car pileup.

A change has to be made after the season and I think it has to start with Ellis. I mean, we literally have to have this discussion every week because of awful D and at some point it has to stop or at least improve a tad. We have been blessed with great offenses while with Gus at the helm but have to rely on the O sooo very much that eventually it's gonna fail some. Caught up with us tonight.

I don't think our defense is as bad as everyone says it is. This game was not lost because of our defense.

Whoa, Hoss! Stop right there. Please feel free to avail yourself the use of the myriad offerings provided by the King of all things statistical, StatTiger. For starters, peruse the After Game Report Card. This defense is a fire-engulfed 11 car pileup.

What he said.

I admit... I laughed

What he said.

Show me the win percentage of teams that turn it over 3 times and have a blocked fg returned for a td. You can't say we lost only because of our defense.

It is not even like we need a good or even mediocre defense to win a championship.

If we can just get a bad defense and be one step above dumpster fire we are in the playoffs.

It is not even like we need a good or even mediocre defense to win a championship.

If we can just get a bad defense and be one step above dumpster fire we are in the playoffs.

Unfortunately we can't get past dumpster fire level on a consistent basis.

my main issue is how undisciplined the defense looks.Tons of blown coverage in the secondary and it has become a rarity to see a WR not breaking a tackle or juking a DB out of his shoes after the catch. Furthermore, most of the penalties in recent weeks have been offsides or stupid late shoves that do absolutely nothing to help the team and cripple attempts to build momentum. I can stomach a pass interference or a targeting if it means our guys are playing their butts off and get caught trying to make a play, but lazily pushing a guy when he is out of bounds is ridiculous.

Just because someone played football at AU, doesn't make them a great coach. Kevin Green was a standout and pro player but he has no coaching experience. CRG isn't a DC; I'm not sure his Dline coaching is all that. Rocker is a position coach not DC. If and when the time comes, we need a very good and proven DC who can recruit and bring hard missed football back.

really, did a helluva job in Green Bay with the Packers, players excelled and loved working for him with his intensity and enthusiasm

The first glaring problem is a lack of focus and discipline evidenced by penalties on that side of the ball. That lies with the coaches. Someone said that the issue with Whitehead might reveal that their is a problem on that side of the ball with coaches.

I hate to say it, but LSU knew how to hire a good defensive coordinator.

We need The Hat to bolt for Michigan when they fire Hoke at the end of the season then pick up Chavis.

What he said.

Show me the win percentage of teams that turn it over 3 times and have a blocked fg returned for a td. You can't say we lost only because of our defense.

"I don't think our defense is as bad as everyone says it is. This game was not lost because of our defense." That's you, right?

I think the report card pretty much confirms that the defense was very much the problem here. There were offensive mistakes, for sure, EVERYBODY makes mistakes and sometimes you make more than one, two or three, but the rest of the team has to be there when you're really screwing the pooch. This offense has been pretty consistently scoring in the 30s since CGM got here. And they almost pulled this one out despite those miscues. All they needed was an average game from an average D. They didn't get it.

What he said.

"I don't think our defense is as bad as everyone says it is. This game was not lost because of our defense." That's you, right?

I think the report card pretty much confirms that the defense was very much the problem here. There were offensive mistakes, for sure, EVERYBODY makes mistakes and sometimes you make more than one, two or three, but the rest of the team has to be there when you're really screwing the pooch. This offense has been pretty consistently scoring in the 30s since CGM got here. And they almost pulled this one out despite those miscues. All they needed was an average game from an average D. They didn't get it.

To lose by 3 with giving up 7 on special teams and having a -2 in the turnover battle, and give our offense 2 opportunities to get the game winning td. As much as everyone hates it here, but the defense didn't lose us the game. Yes, stat tiger shows the defense not performing well, but he doesn't include one of the most important stats, turnovers.

What he said.

To lose by 3 with giving up 7 on special teams and having a -2 in the turnover battle, and give our offense 2 opportunities to get the game winning td. As much as everyone hates it here, but the defense didn't lose us the game. Yes, stat tiger shows the defense not performing well, but he doesn't include one of the most important stats, turnovers.

I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree about that. And that's OK. God knows I've had plenty of these conversations recently that have ended that way. Maybe you're even right the offense just needs to do things better. More stats pointing toward offense troubles.

Incidentally, this thread is about Ellis Johnson, presumably about whether he is coaching well enough for the Auburn Tigers to stay on. Since this loss is really equally distributed amongst all members of the team, should we stay the course then, and say Ellis Johnson's position should be safe after the season ends?

Well, Inthink he is right ab us not being physical enough and he has made adjustments in most games. Not sure ab his scheme and as someone said, he seems to do better against more pro style offenses which got me thinking ab the 2010 SEC champ game. OTOH, our personnel is either not very good and/or are not being coached well. With all he has to do game planning, etc. he needs his DBs coach, etc. to teach fundamentals and help with placing and grouping personnel. Not sure if that is an issue and communication is questionable but is it slow from the booth or slow being relayed by coaches on the field?

Archived