Ellis Johnson

Ed_

Guest jojo1515

Let us not forget that the play calling on offense is always so dand predictable and stubborn at times as well.

Yeah, that was the problem. Offense had over 550 yards. NEXT!!

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let us not forget that the play calling on offense is always so dand predictable and stubborn at times as well.

If stubborn gets us over 575 yards per game then paint me "stubborn".

We need The Hat to bolt for Michigan when they fire Hoke at the end of the season then pick up Chavis.

Chavis can't do s*** against high powered spread offenses.

How can anyone defend the way this defense has went backwards since the LSU game? I watched two outstanding defenses tonight in another contest, and longed for the days when we played even close to that. If Gus could get a good defense, Auburn would be in the mix continually. We are close to being 5-4 right now. We should have lost last week and was dang lucky to beat SC. How many third and longs can we give up? How many slants have been completed on us. The middle of the field is always wide open. It is frustrating to say the least but certainly not a life and death matter. LOL

I don't think our defense is as bad as everyone says it is. This game was not lost because of our defense.

Whoa, Hoss! Stop right there. Please feel free to avail yourself the use of the myriad offerings provided by the King of all things statistical, StatTiger. For starters, peruse the After Game Report Card. This defense is a fire-engulfed 11 car pileup.

What he said.

Show me the win percentage of teams that turn it over 3 times and have a blocked fg returned for a td. You can't say we lost only because of our defense.

"I don't think our defense is as bad as everyone says it is. This game was not lost because of our defense." That's you, right?

I think the report card pretty much confirms that the defense was very much the problem here. There were offensive mistakes, for sure, EVERYBODY makes mistakes and sometimes you make more than one, two or three, but the rest of the team has to be there when you're really screwing the pooch. This offense has been pretty consistently scoring in the 30s since CGM got here. And they almost pulled this one out despite those miscues. All they needed was an average game from an average D. They didn't get it.

To lose by 3 with giving up 7 on special teams and having a -2 in the turnover battle, and give our offense 2 opportunities to get the game winning td. As much as everyone hates it here, but the defense didn't lose us the game. Yes, stat tiger shows the defense not performing well, but he doesn't include one of the most important stats, turnovers.

I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree about that. And that's OK. God knows I've had plenty of these conversations recently that have ended that way. Maybe you're even right the offense just needs to do things better. More stats pointing toward offense troubles.

Incidentally, this thread is about Ellis Johnson, presumably about whether he is coaching well enough for the Auburn Tigers to stay on. Since this loss is really equally distributed amongst all members of the team, should we stay the course then, and say Ellis Johnson's position should be safe after the season ends?

In case you were wondering, here are some stats on how important winning the turnover battle is. http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/nfl-teams-that-win-turnover-battle-have-72-17-record/26247/

I understand this is NFL data, but I would guess the results would be similar in the NCAA.Again, our offense had a great day moving the ball, but we still turned the ball over too much. It is unfair to say the game was lost because of the defense. We could have been better in every phase of the game.

Offense: turnovers.

Special teams: blocked fg returned for a td

Defense: big plays and penalties

Boom Will be available after the season. He will be good. Unless chiz wants to come back.As dc

I agree. I want Boom back. I started a thread 2 weeks ago that said that, and a moderator deleted it.

Boom Will be available after the season. He will be good. Unless chiz wants to come back.As dc

I agree. I want Boom back. I started a thread that said that, and a moderator deleted it.

Wanting and getting are two different things.

Not sure he would come even if offered.

Yeah, that was the problem. Offense had over 550 yards. NEXT!!

Did not say it was the main problem but when our entire section was guessing play calls we were most often right. You think players and coaches on the field cannot? Our personnel groups on O are st a giveaway as well and the playbook is apparently not as big as we thought either. Secondary and a crazy defensive scheme as well as dumb fumbles and bad official calls are the bane of our season, however.

Do we ever run stunts on the Dline or just bullrush for pressure?

If stubborn gets us over 575 yards per game then paint me "stubborn".

It is not just ab total yards though, timing of calls and yards at critical points are important

Something has to be done.

I give CEJ till the end of the year. If his defense is good enough to beat UGA and UA, I'll be ok. I do agree that something needs to be done on the discipline side. Costly and stupid penalties were part of what has cost us in these games.

If it doesn't improve, someone's got to go.

I won't begin to suggest who we could/would get as a DC.

This team is one of the most experienced teams in the entire country that began the season in the driver's seat to the CFP. It's literally been a tale of two seasons. Pre- and Post-LSU.

This mid-season regression is disheartening to say the least. 149 offensive points in the last four games, silly drive-extending defensive penalties, terrible tackling fundamentals, surrendering 3rd-&-longs far too frequently, secondary is routinely out of position, lack of consistent penetration from the defensive line. It's been living on the laurels of the offense for the past month and if finally caught up. Frost appears to be the lone leader on defense, which is more disappointing considering the amount of upperclassmen back there. No emotion nor intensity present until after halftime; a lingering problem since the season opener.

For all intents and purposes, this is a year two of the defensive rebuild. However, I refuse to subscribe to the notion that AU isn't capable of fielding a more solid defense. I realize that the defensive days of 7 - 3 scores are in the past, but this has downward trend has been remarkably underwhelming. How is that Ole Miss has managed to build a far more stout defense than Auburn relative to how each school typically recruits?

True enough, the players have to execute, however Johnson has had far more talent at his disposal than any of his last two SEC stops, and doesn't appear to making the best of it. Like others, I am losing faith weekly in the 4-2-5. The reality is defense is a major reason why AU won't be competing for the National Championship this season.

This team is one of the most experienced teams in the entire country that began the season in the driver's seat to the CFP. It's literally been a tale of two seasons. Pre- and Post-LSU.

This mid-season regression is disheartening to say the least. 149 offensive points in the last four games, silly drive-extending defensive penalties, terrible tackling fundamentals, surrendering 3rd-&-longs far too frequently, secondary is routinely out of position, lack of consistent penetration from the defensive line. It's been living on the laurels of the offense for the past month and if finally caught up. Frost appears to be the lone leader on defense, which is more disappointing considering the amount of upperclassmen back there. No emotion nor intensity present until after halftime; a lingering problem since the season opener.

For all intents and purposes, this is a year two of the defensive rebuild. However, I refuse to subscribe to the notion that AU isn't capable of fielding a more solid defense. I realize that the defensive days of 7 - 3 scores are in the past, but this has downward trend has been remarkably underwhelming. How is that Ole Miss has managed to build a far more stout defense than Auburn relative to how each school typically recruits?

True enough, the players have to execute, however Johnson has had far more talent at his disposal than any of his last two SEC stops, and doesn't appear to making the best of it. Like others, I am losing faith weekly in the 4-2-5. The reality is defense is a major reason why AU won't be competing for the National Championship this season.

Nailed it. ^^ How anyone can say otherwise is laughable!

I don't think our defense is as bad as everyone says it is. This game was not lost because of our defense.

Whoa, Hoss! Stop right there. Please feel free to avail yourself the use of the myriad offerings provided by the King of all things statistical, StatTiger. For starters, peruse the After Game Report Card. This defense is a fire-engulfed 11 car pileup.

What he said.

Show me the win percentage of teams that turn it over 3 times and have a blocked fg returned for a td. You can't say we lost only because of our defense.

"I don't think our defense is as bad as everyone says it is. This game was not lost because of our defense." That's you, right?

I think the report card pretty much confirms that the defense was very much the problem here. There were offensive mistakes, for sure, EVERYBODY makes mistakes and sometimes you make more than one, two or three, but the rest of the team has to be there when you're really screwing the pooch. This offense has been pretty consistently scoring in the 30s since CGM got here. And they almost pulled this one out despite those miscues. All they needed was an average game from an average D. They didn't get it.

To lose by 3 with giving up 7 on special teams and having a -2 in the turnover battle, and give our offense 2 opportunities to get the game winning td. As much as everyone hates it here, but the defense didn't lose us the game. Yes, stat tiger shows the defense not performing well, but he doesn't include one of the most important stats, turnovers.

I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree about that. And that's OK. God knows I've had plenty of these conversations recently that have ended that way. Maybe you're even right the offense just needs to do things better. More stats pointing toward offense troubles.

Incidentally, this thread is about Ellis Johnson, presumably about whether he is coaching well enough for the Auburn Tigers to stay on. Since this loss is really equally distributed amongst all members of the team, should we stay the course then, and say Ellis Johnson's position should be safe after the season ends?

In case you were wondering, here are some stats on how important winning the turnover battle is. http://www.coldhardf...7-record/26247/

I understand this is NFL data, but I would guess the results would be similar in the NCAA.Again, our offense had a great day moving the ball, but we still turned the ball over too much. It is unfair to say the game was lost because of the defense. We could have been better in every phase of the game.

This is the best exchange in the thread to me. Agree with arein0 that you cannot blame the loss solely on the D, but also with Realist that something has to be done about the D and that the thread is about Ellis.

I'm with InfernoOrangeSS that we should see what happens the rest of this season, then make a determination. That's consistent with Bird's view, which I share, that we'd be crazy to fire CEJ right now. It would be devastating.

That said, I am sick and tired of terrible tackling. I am baffled that we give up 28 points in the first half and 6 in the second. There just isn't a good reason I can think of why we must wait until the second half to start playing D. The D is not completely to blame for this loss (or the one to Miss State); but it is currently the weakest part of our team.

We need to hire Takeo Spikes as a positional coach

Do we? This isn't on the job training. Being a great defensive player doesn't make you a good defensive coach. Does he have any experience coaching?

I've been a CEJ supporter, but that is changing rapidly. My only question is, who would we hire? All I've seen as suggestions on here is Tracy Rocker and Coach Boom. I'm not sure Boom will come back because of how his last stint ended and Rocker has never been a DC before. Would Ole Miss's DC be good?

Might need to look outside the SEC. :dunno:/>

Louisiana Monroe?

What he said.

In case you were wondering, here are some stats on how important winning the turnover battle is. http://www.coldhardf...7-record/26247/

Two things: The offense made mistakes. Special teams made a mistake. I accept your argument that the responsibility for the loss is evenly distributed among the players. You win. The defense cannot be blamed for the loss, because technically they didn't make any mistakes. They actually gave up only 450 yards or so, which is actually an improvement. The defense did not lose this game and by extension of that same logic, they didn't lose to MSU, either.

So... Back to the topic of the thread: Ellis Johnson should stay after this season, then? Should AU just go ahead and extend the contract to 2019?

*sigh* If only CGM could do something with this offense. If only he could get this offense to be as consistent and mistake-proof as the D... :-\

Dom1ni0n, on Today, 04:46 AM, said:

Perfectly said!

The offense had 3 turnovers which are terrible but something that can be fixed. Does anyone think we come out next week and the defense plays strong? Does anyone think we hold UGA to under 24 points? Does anyone think we hold hammer to under 24 points? All we need is an average defense. First drive our star and safety go for the WR screen and leave the other WR wide open for a 75 yard TD. How many weeks of hearing we need better communication?? Coaching. Have the players gotten better from last year? Have Wright, Adams, Owens, Holsey, Mincy, McKinzie, and company improved since they came to Auburn? That is coaching. Still not wrapping up. We seem to love to come up and bump you from the side to make you fall. LBers don't fill the holes, DTs/DEs don't get penetration, and DBs have no clue how to cover. Pretty grim. We'll see what the D coaches come up with this week or we will be here next week complaining about the same things again.

Trap game or not, it's still unacceptable. We will end the season 8-4. Hate to say that but I think it is too late in the season with everything that was at stake to get this team back. Before this loss, I felt we had a chance to win out. Now not so much, it will be a miracle to win at uga, and uat. It will also be a miracle if we find a defense by then as well. This year was suppose to be fun, I'm just tired of watching poor execution on the defensive side of the ball. It's pretty clear to me we won't catch LSU or bama on defense until we get someone that is considered a no nonsense, hardnosed defensive coach, until then.....?

As noted by many, we have not had a D since Tubs left.

We have had 3 different (well known and experienced) DCs and essentially three different sets of position coaches for the defense with pretty much the same result.

I say this seriously.....the only common thread in that time is that Gus has run the offense....

So someone tell me how the next see of defensive coaches will be better?

Archived