Ellis Johnson

Ed_

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bye Ellis hope you're not a coach next week for auburn

Glad you dug through 20 pages of the same thought to call me out but I'm the one that needs to grow up. Please

I hope you're not posting until you grow up.

Grow up and learn how the quote function works. ;)

The defense needed a DC who would coach them up and get the very best out of them each and every week. EJ has not done any of that during his 2 years at Auburn. Hopefully coach Malzahn has been seeing what we've been seeing this year and last year.

Said I'd stay away but after our loss yesterday and it still stinging I've got to get this idea out of my mind. So everyone is calling for CEJ's head and that's understandable. BUT, he leaves at the end of the season and what do you have? A bunch of players that we all defended last year because they were learning a new scheme, that now know CEJ's scheme, are left without a coach who they've been with for basically 3 years. You bring in a new coordinator and now they all have to learn a brand new scheme, the 2015 class that was recruited specifically for the 4-2-5 defense are now on campus and have no idea where they'll be playing, and now the whole 2015 season we'll once again be defending the defense again because they're learning a new scheme. I don't really know what the answer for this is, because I'm on the fence with firing CEJ and not. I also can't help but wonder if there's some underground stuff going on between the defensive staff and the defensive players, just seems like there's a lot of animosity between the two. I know CWM is NOT the answer to our defensive struggles, Kirby Smart will never leave Bama knowing he's the heir to the throne, and Chavis ain't leaving LSU. If Ellis gets the boot, go ahead and give Cheese the boot too. Bring in a young charismatic guy who is on the sideline and coaches the boys.

Said I'd stay away but after our loss yesterday and it still stinging I've got to get this idea out of my mind. So everyone is calling for CEJ's head and that's understandable. BUT, he leaves at the end of the season and what do you have? A bunch of players that we all defended last year because they were learning a new scheme, that now know CEJ's scheme, are left without a coach who they've been with for basically 3 years. You bring in a new coordinator and now they all have to learn a brand new scheme, the 2015 class that was recruited specifically for the 4-2-5 defense are now on campus and have no idea where they'll be playing, and now the whole 2015 season we'll once again be defending the defense again because they're learning a new scheme. I don't really know what the answer for this is, because I'm on the fence with firing CEJ and not. I also can't help but wonder if there's some underground stuff going on between the defensive staff and the defensive players, just seems like there's a lot of animosity between the two. I know CWM is NOT the answer to our defensive struggles, Kirby Smart will never leave Bama knowing he's the heir to the throne, and Chavis ain't leaving LSU. If Ellis gets the boot, go ahead and give Cheese the boot too. Bring in a young charismatic guy who is on the sideline and coaches the boys.

That's the thing. Do they actually know the 4-2? Is it that they know it, but can't run it? Do they know it and the 4-2 really doesn't work? If they don't know it, will they know it in another month? Another year? Ever? I don't know. I do know that it looks like the players have given up not only on implementing the 4-2, but on implementing even the very basics of coverage and tackling. Something is not right in this squad.

I'm not certain firing CEJ is the answer because I can only see symptoms without a clue as to what the actual problem might be.

I don't think our defense is as bad as everyone says it is. This game was not lost because of our defense. Here are my reasons.

1. We gave them a 14 point lead. 7 came off the fumble on our first offensive possession.

2. We gave up a blocked fg returned for a td

3. Our defense was the reason we were able to make a comeback after the slow first half, forcing turnovers and limiting their tds.

4. Our defense gave our offense 2 opportunities to win. We just didn't get the job done unfortunately.

I personally think our defense will not be as good statistically as in the past because our offensive pace gives our defense more possessions to defend and less time to recover and prepare for the next drive. Also since it is known we are going to score, teams are going to open their playbok and throw everything at us offensively, whereas if you are playing teams like lsu or bama, teams will focus on field position and limit their playbook.

worst post ever on this site^^^^

What is odd to me, is that I thought this 4-2-5 was a hybrid type defense that was supposed to help defend the passing game; or am I wrong on this. The theory being that the star position helps match up with a slot type or H back type receiver and then everyone's passing game just kills us. Not saying the star is the issue but makes you wonder about the scheme.

What is odd to me, is that I thought this 4-2-5 was a hybrid type defense that was supposed to help defend the passing game; or am I wrong on this. The theory being that the star position helps match up with a slot type or H back type receiver and then everyone's passing game just kills us. Not saying the star is the issue but makes you wonder about the scheme.

I'd say the issue is recruiting. Just spit balling.

Just for the record, EJ was at So Miss for one year and they were terrible before he got there and are no better now.

Otherwise, I'm amazed that so many people just pass off the special teams and offensive mistakes yesterday .... as if the defense is supposed to clean up the messes made by them ....as if losing the fumbles and getting the kick blocked were immaterial. I mean lose a fumble on our first offensive play? that did not matter?

JMO, this was MSU all over again.....dug a deep hole in the first quarter and could not get out of it because of mistakes and penalties at critical times.

edit: no matter what happened for the first half, the D put the offense in position to win the game TWICE in the last 4 minutes and the team made two stunning mistakes.....those kind of things can happen but the lost does not belong to EJ alone.

. Very true! ^^^^

It'll never happen but Muschamp would be perfect!

In my dream world, yes. Wanted him as coach before Chizik because we needed better defense back then. Doubt he would come back as a DC and DEFINITELY not with Jacobs there (will he ever leave? Grrrr). After how he was treated, I do not blame him. Anyway, not going to happen.

I'm not done with Ellis. It may not be his fault or it may be. I am disappointed we have a powerful offense and hardly any d. It sucks it's ok to say it just sucks.

I have supported CEJ for the past month. I am done, don't know where to go from here but we can't cover anybody, rush the passer (not even an 18 year old true freshman making his first meaningful start) nor did we stop the run Saturday. Poor pursuit angles, bad tackling, DL getting blown off the ball by a team that couldn't run the ball against ULM. I have nothing. I was hoping for improvement, preached patience and improvement to many on this site. I now apologize, glad I'm not the HC because I would have fired him at half time I was so mad and would be left with a mess because of my haste. As AU64 pointed out our O had a chance to bail out the D and win the game but to expect perfection from one facet of the team and accept total failure from another is ludicrous IMO! Oh well, I'm just hoping for better defensive play whoever the coach is (even if it remains Ellis)

As if he doesn't have enough concerns with his defense, now he is poking at Todd Gurley. Real smart. http://www.al.com/au...as_stopped.html

Maybe he's trying on his best Steve Spurrier impression. Ya know how the OBC loves to poke fun at uga. Maybe he thinks it'll help.

As if he doesn't have enough concerns with his defense, now he is poking at Todd Gurley. Real smart. http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/11/only_defense_that_has_stopped.html

What did you expect AL(BAMA).com to do ...

Guys, I've been a lurker on this board for four years now, checking this place for info nearly every single day. As you can probably tell, I don't post much, and that's because I don't post unless I have something to say. So let me say this:

Everyone is pointing fingers at who to blame for the A&M loss, but no one has quite hit it yet, so I will. Blame our position coaches, because after all this time, we are still having trouble communicating in the secondary and tackling (everywhere). Some of you blame our recruits, but you must not have noticed how much better our recruiting classes have been since even Chiz got here, much less Malzahn. Some of these same recruits you guys are slamming now you were praising when they committed. Would I like 5* defensive ends, corners, and safeties? Yes. Is it necessary to win championships? No. Mississippi State is proving that (even if it took them FOREVER). You guys remember Tubbs, right? How many five stars did he sign? How many four stars did he sign? How many games did we win? He had a knack for finding position coaches and coaching his players up. That happened last year, but doesn't seem to have carried over this year, at least not for the defense. It's a coaching problem. While we're on the subject, blame the defense, because they still can't communicate, tackle, or penetrate, and because they gave up 35 points in the first half alone. (But how many did they give up the second half? How many critical stops did they make, including a near safety?) Blame the offense. Yes they scored over thirty points and have looked the best they have all season, but who was it that fumbled the ball on our first possession? Who was it that fumbled the ball in the A&M redzone, only for our defense to hold and almost get a safety? Then, who fumbled it again?! I have never been so impressed with our offense as I have during that game (such beautiful, clutch passes), but turnovers will almost always decide a game. Like last year, neither team could stop the other's offense; the defenses were terrible. But how many turnovers did A&M have compared to us? There ya go. Blame the fans. I went to the LSU game, but couldn't make it to this one. The atmosphere for the LSU game was amazing. It was rocking from start to finish. I watched this weekend's game on tv, and let me say, that crowd sucked. After the first couple of completions on the first drive, that crowd was lifeless. If you can see it on tv, then you know it's bad. Did we not expect A&M to score at all or something? What's the difference between LSU, SC, and A&M? They were all supposed to suck. LSU was the only team that didn't nearly beat us. "Bad" teams score on us because we have a bad defense. Get used to it. If you are going to the game, don't stop cheering no matter what happens. Seriously, it was pathetic. I'm still pissed about it.

So to finally answer this question of who deserves the blame for our second loss: if you are at all associated with Auburn University, you cost us the game. That includes players, coaches, and fans. And let's give credit where credit is due: A&M played like winners. They did everything they had to do to win, even blocked a field goal. So blame them too.

Archived