Ellis Johnson

Ed_

As far as the communication thing the players are talking about getting the plays from the sideline not communicating with each other on the field

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the feeling that if Carl Lawson were on the field to give a pass rush then this thread would not exist. Maybe it would, but with a different tone. It does kill me that we play so much better after half but CEJ has given us our best defense in over 5 years. I blame aTm for having a good game plan with receivers who made every catch. I blame AU for having two horrible miscues with 2 shots at winning the game.

BTW - Marshall is a great QB for us and we are not in that game without him. Maybe its just me but I believe Marshall had his first selfish moment in two years on the Plains. He should have handed that ball off and CAP walks in for a TD. Instead he held on too long then decided to take it himself.

Too much happened to blame Ellis for that one.

Pass rush of course would help but our secondary isn't good. No way around it. There isn't a team in the SEC who don't think their wr can beat our corners in one on one match ups

As far as the communication thing the players are talking about getting the plays from the sideline not communicating with each other on the field

Yeah, but I was referring more to the zone plays where the players bust coverage. Maybe that doesn't happen very often, and I just saw it a couple of times and it stuck with me.

This should not be that hard.

2011 Southern Miss 12-2 record..... finish the season in the top 15 final BCS ranking.

2012 ( First year with EJ ) 7 returning starters on defense, 4 of 5 starting O-line returning, 0-12

The players went to the AD after an 0-5 start and complained that the game plans were horrible and gave them zero chance to win.

The only way he could have left that program in any worse shape would be if he burned down the field house on his way out of town.

He has no fire in his belly, cannot motivate and is not motivated himself. In addition to his Auburn salary, Southern Miss is paying him ~$850,000 for the next two

years to NOT coach there anymore.

Listen to his press conference this week..... on tackling...... "We have to coach it better, I guess.”

“We have to find a way to be more consistent,” Johnson said. “If that means cutting it back or if that means teaching better, we have to find a way as coaches to get that done.”

"We are just making some mistakes sometimes that are uncharacteristic. When we find the answer to that, we have to coach better, play a little harder, coach smarter, something."

He has no clue and admits it on a daily basis.

2011 Southern Miss 12-2 record..... finish the season in the top 15 final BCS ranking.

2012 ( First year with EJ ) 7 returning starters on defense, 4 of 5 starting O-line returning, 0-12

The players went to the AD after an 0-5 start and complained that the game plans were horrible and gave them zero chance to win.

The only way he could have left that program in any worse shape would be if he burned down the field house on his way out of town.

He has no fire in his belly, cannot motivate and is not motivated himself. In addition to his Auburn salary, Southern Miss is paying him ~$850,000 for the next two

Listen to his press conference this week..... on tackling...... "We have to coach it better, I guess.”

“We have to find a way to be more consistent,” Johnson said. “If that means cutting it back or if that means teaching better, we have to find a way as coaches to get that done.”

"We are just making some mistakes sometimes that are uncharacteristic. When we find the answer to that, we have to coach better, play a little harder, coach smarter, something."

WOW, I had no idea SoMiss was obligated to pay him thru his contract expiration. Raking in hefty salaries from two programs at the same time - Ellis is financially set.

As if he doesn't have enough concerns with his defense, now he is poking at Todd Gurley. Real smart. http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/11/only_defense_that_has_stopped.html

Actually, I think Ellis meant it as a funny compliment he just wasnt in a smiling mood, understandably. Anyway, I dont like the scheme but I like Ellis. He mentioned that the bye week was good because they did not have a really physical camp. That concerned me then because that is the best way to work on tackling in space imo. Whatever is going on, it stinks. Also, when I hear Melvin Smith speak I get ill. Not knocking the guy bc I do not know him personally but he sounds a little too" topical" when talking ab football if you catch my drift. Also, why is he up in the box with Ellis instead of working with the players on the sideline? If he is not doing that, is a coaching intern taking his place??? Anyone know? Thanks

WOW, I had no idea SoMiss was obligated to pay him thru his contract expiration. Raking in hefty salaries from two programs at the same time - Ellis is financially set.

financially set but can't coach, can't relate to players, cannot elvauate talent and put the correct players in the correct positions........

the way the defense is playing right now Auburn's offense has to score every time it has the ball. It's the only way they have a chance to win. I don't mean field goals, I'm talking touchdowns.

The most likely scenario is that at the end of the season, Coach Johnson will announce he's "retiring". No way CGM fires him.

Having said that, I believe Ellis Johnson is a proven coach and coordinator. Maybe he's lost his touch after so many decades of coaching, or maybe the scheme isn't right for Auburn. But, it's impossible to say we've gotten better defensively. If anything, we've regressed. Something needs to change, and I think bringing in new blood with new ideas is the right course of action.

Said I'd stay away but after our loss yesterday and it still stinging I've got to get this idea out of my mind. So everyone is calling for CEJ's head and that's understandable. BUT, he leaves at the end of the season and what do you have? A bunch of players that we all defended last year because they were learning a new scheme, that now know CEJ's scheme, are left without a coach who they've been with for basically 3 years. You bring in a new coordinator and now they all have to learn a brand new scheme, the 2015 class that was recruited specifically for the 4-2-5 defense are now on campus and have no idea where they'll be playing, and now the whole 2015 season we'll once again be defending the defense again because they're learning a new scheme. I don't really know what the answer for this is, because I'm on the fence with firing CEJ and not. I also can't help but wonder if there's some underground stuff going on between the defensive staff and the defensive players, just seems like there's a lot of animosity between the two. I know CWM is NOT the answer to our defensive struggles, Kirby Smart will never leave Bama knowing he's the heir to the throne, and Chavis ain't leaving LSU. If Ellis gets the boot, go ahead and give Cheese the boot too. Bring in a young charismatic guy who is on the sideline and coaches the boys.

Smart isn't leaving Bama for a lateral move, especially for a school that interviewed him for the head coaching job. He's not the heir apparent at UAT either. He'll need a year at a small school before he's handed the reigns anywhere big.

Cha is won't be st LSU next year because Les Miles is going to Michigan. Unless Chavis follows him or the new boss at LSU keeps him, he'll need a job.

Muschamp? If Jay Jacobs keeps him away we have bigger issues than a bad defense. He will also need a lifeline if he wants to stay in coaching.

Chizik? You must like pouring gas on a dumpster fire. He's going to be great DC again somewhere, but not AU.

Said I'd stay away but after our loss yesterday and it still stinging I've got to get this idea out of my mind. So everyone is calling for CEJ's head and that's understandable. BUT, he leaves at the end of the season and what do you have? A bunch of players that we all defended last year because they were learning a new scheme, that now know CEJ's scheme, are left without a coach who they've been with for basically 3 years. You bring in a new coordinator and now they all have to learn a brand new scheme, the 2015 class that was recruited specifically for the 4-2-5 defense are now on campus and have no idea where they'll be playing, and now the whole 2015 season we'll once again be defending the defense again because they're learning a new scheme. I don't really know what the answer for this is, because I'm on the fence with firing CEJ and not. I also can't help but wonder if there's some underground stuff going on between the defensive staff and the defensive players, just seems like there's a lot of animosity between the two. I know CWM is NOT the answer to our defensive struggles, Kirby Smart will never leave Bama knowing he's the heir to the throne, and Chavis ain't leaving LSU. If Ellis gets the boot, go ahead and give Cheese the boot too. Bring in a young charismatic guy who is on the sideline and coaches the boys.

Smart isn't leaving Bama for a lateral move, especially for a school that interviewed him for the head coaching job. He's not the heir apparent at UAT either. He'll need a year at a small school before he's handed the reigns anywhere big.

Cha is won't be st LSU next year because Les Miles is going to Michigan. Unless Chavis follows him or the new boss at LSU keeps him, he'll need a job.

Muschamp? If Jay Jacobs keeps him away we have bigger issues than a bad defense. He will also need a lifeline if he wants to stay in coaching.

Chizik? You must like pouring gas on a dumpster fire. He's going to be great DC again somewhere, but not AU.

Muschamp will have plenty of options to be a DC. I don't think JJ would object to him. It was booms choice to leave. I don't see Les going to Michigan.

I'm glad u brought this up^^ because a lot of his defenders were saying so miss was terrible when he got there, lol. Well looks like to me record wise they were doing just fine before he got there, now they are terrible post cej.

Gosh, you guys always have to have a sacrificial lamb, don't you? I don't know why you can't see that Ellis is working with what he has and the injuries have hit the defense hard for 2 years now. If you don't have a pass rush, because you don't have pass rushers, you have to adjust the best you can and it leaves areas more vulnerable.

I like Ellis Johnson, and the halftime adjustments he makes usually do the trick. Not going to read any more bashing comments, makes me sick.

If Miles leaves LSU, Chavis won't have a hard time finding a job. He's one of the best DC's in the country.

Gosh, you guys always have to have a sacrificial lamb, don't you? I don't know why you can't see that Ellis is working with what he has and the injuries have hit the defense hard for 2 years now. If you don't have a pass rush, because you don't have pass rushers, you have to adjust the best you can and it leaves areas more vulnerable.

I like Ellis Johnson, and the halftime adjustments he makes usually do the trick. Not going to read any more bashing comments, makes me sick.

Need more proof? When players that had a winning season before go to the ad about said person is not giving them a chance to win, then there is a problem. Now they are paying him not to coach them anymore, lol.

Gosh, you guys always have to have a sacrificial lamb don't you? I don't know why you can't see that Ellis is working with what he has and the injuries have hit the defense hard for 2 years now. If you don't have a pass rush, because you don't have pass rushers, you have to adjust the best you can and it leaves areas more vulnerable.

He makes good halftime adjustments. That's great except for the fact that by halftime the other team has 3 or 4 touchdowns.

Gosh, you guys always have to have a sacrificial lamb don't you? I don't know why you can't see that Ellis is working with what he has and the injuries have hit the defense hard for 2 years now. If you don't have a pass rush, because you don't have pass rushers, you have to adjust the best you can and it leaves areas more vulnerable.

He makes good halftime adjustments. That's great except for the fact that by halftime the other team has 3 or 4 touchdowns.

Yep

Not only is there no improvement, but his D keeps getting worse. There is no excuse for that. Also, it is extremely undisciplined. After failing to cover a receiver we see a defended, out of frustration, hit the receiver in the back after the play is over, costing Auburn another 15 yards. This is inexcusable.

Defensive regression over the past 4 games is disappointing, particularly since things looked much better over the first 5 games. However, IMO, calling for CEJ's job is unwarranted.

As a DC, CEJ came here with a good resume. Some posters refer to really bad single games, but find me any DC that doesn't have some of those . Take a look at the broader context...most recently at USCe, his defenses were in the Top 15 Nationally 3 of his 4 years.

It's a tough year all over for defenses/coaches with pretty good reps, not just CEJ. Offenses are more dynamic and explosive throughout the nation. Just looking at some programs/people mentioned in the thread as standards for us to emulate:

Mich St scores 37 and loses as Ohio St and their freshman QB hang 49 on them

Utah scores 27 and loses as Oregon puts up 51

Ariz St loses to UCLA giving up 62 and has wins where they give up 31 and 34

Kansas St gets swamped 41-20 by TCU and gave up 28 each to Iowa St and UTEP in wins

Tubbs' Cincy team has given up 41, 50 and 55 in losses and 34 to Toledo in a win

Florida's Fightin' Muschamps gave up 30 once and 42 twice in 3 losses

I'm not saying anything bad about these guys, just opining that AU isn't alone in defensive challenges.

Auburn is currently #54 in Total Defense and #47 in Points Allowed. Not great, but not rock bottom either...and we're not even 2 seasons into implementing a new system. I agree we must improve on D. We've been inconsistent, with a mixture of great and awful performances on defense...often in the same game. My concern is that the D is trending the wrong way based on the last 4 games, but trends can be reversed. I believe CEJ should have the opportunity and my support while he, and the other coaches and players, work their hardest to beat UGA and Bama.

War Eagle!

There would not be a need for 30 pages of anguish if this were just an anomaly from one bad game. This is the same defensive play we have watched since 2009. In 2014, with exception to Arkansas and LSU, Auburn's defense has surrendered 30+ points per game. Of course hindsight is 20/20, but if Piggie or Corndog had anyone who resembled a QB, then there's nothing that leads me to believe this defense holds either under 30.

During the past four games, this defense is giving up more than 170 yards/gm. Last Saturday, an Air Raid team nearly rushed for 200 yards against this defense. The same Air Raid team that ranks near the bottom of the conference in rushing yardage per game, and overall in the bottom half of FBS in rushing yardage per game.

Yes, it's only year two with Ellis Johnson, but many expected much better considering the heights reached last season, and all the juniors and seniors that have either started or been major contributors on defense.

Make not mistake, the failure to execute fundamentally on defense is inexcusable, especially for upperclassmen. There's no need to rehash what's already been thoroughly outlined here and in other threads about that aspect of play.

I'm not jumping aboard the firing squad yet, but gradually losing faith on how Johnson runs his variation of the 4-2-5.

In my opinion our defense is not as much of a liability as the majority contends it is. As potent as our offense is the defense doesn’t have to be bamresque.

Auburn has two losses this year. In those two losses Auburn’s offense turned the ball over 7 times. Very few defenses in today’s world would be able to overcome that.

And throw in a blocked FG return for a td.

7 turnovers is 7 possessions we don’t have a scoring opportunity. Now some offenses may not have scored anyway on those 7 drives. But I would guess with Auburn’s offense that is at least 3 touchdowns and a field goal that didn’t happen. In addition the other guys are provided better opportunities to score.

Sure there are times they look hapless. But at other points in our games they've played good enough to win every one.

Archived