Ted Roof a dark horse candidate

DyeHardAllTheWay

Whether roof was held back or not he's a terrible selection for numerous reasons. This would be one of the most dissapointing hires in a long time if we settled for roof

Please elaborate. Not challenging you, I just honestly don't know those reasons.

1)There are so many better options out there

2)Try telling recruits "Well last time I was at Auburn it didn't go so well but that wasn't my fault it will work out this time I promise!"

->On that same note TR isn't quite the level of recruiter I would like to have

3)Ted Roof's style of defense is very passive and frustrating to watch

He wouldn't be the worst option, but I hope he is option Z on Auburn's list

I can see your point on 1 and 2, but #3 is incorrect in terms of being passive. At AU it generally was, but everywhere else he's been known for being aggressive. His defense at PSU were better than AUs immediately after getting there and that was with a team full of walk ons. Say what you want, but TR is not as bad as he appeared at AU. His stops before and certainly after have proved that IMO.

I see your point. It's baffing the hindrance that Chizik really must have been

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether roof was held back or not he's a terrible selection for numerous reasons. This would be one of the most dissapointing hires in a long time if we settled for roof

Please elaborate. Not challenging you, I just honestly don't know those reasons.

1)There are so many better options out there

2)Try telling recruits "Well last time I was at Auburn it didn't go so well but that wasn't my fault it will work out this time I promise!"

->On that same note TR isn't quite the level of recruiter I would like to have

3)Ted Roof's style of defense is very passive and frustrating to watch

He wouldn't be the worst option, but I hope he is option Z on Auburn's list

I can see your point on 1 and 2, but #3 is incorrect in terms of being passive. At AU it generally was, but everywhere else he's been known for being aggressive. His defense at PSU were better than AUs immediately after getting there and that was with a team full of walk ons. Say what you want, but TR is not as bad as he appeared at AU. His stops before and certainly after have proved that IMO.

I see your point. It's baffing the hindrance that Chizik really must have been

Chizik wants to run that Tampa 2 defense and I guess he likes to have control over everything. He slowed down the offense in 2011 which is what caused Gus to leave. It turned out to be a blessing in the end, thought it didn't seem like it at the time. Chiz was just not a good manager which is what his job was supposed to be. Well no need in rehashing all that now.

That won't happen... Gus seemed reluctant to clean house when he got to AU. But Roof will just be a DC similar to Johnson.

Anyone thought about Ed Orgeron? He is a great recruiter and has SEC experience. Can't really remember his D at Ole Miss but I know his players love playing for him. And he won at USC last year as the interim head coach once Kiffin was out.

Now Ed Orgeron would be an interesting dark horse candidate.

That won't happen... Gus seemed reluctant to clean house when he got to AU. But Roof will just be a DC similar to Johnson.

Anyone thought about Ed Orgeron? He is a great recruiter and has SEC experience. Can't really remember his D at Ole Miss but I know his players love playing for him. And he won at USC last year as the interim head coach once Kiffin was out.

Now Ed Orgeron would be an interesting dark horse candidate.

Never been a DC. Leaves whispers of recruiting "irregularities" every place he's been. No thanks.

Not to mention, there was the account by a Tennessee football player when he and Kiffin left for USC. Kiffen is telling the team about taking the USC job. One of the JUCO early enrollees' phone vibrates in the meeting. It's Orgeron. He wants to see if the player has signed up for his classes yet. When informed he hasn't, he starts the recruiting pitch trying to get him to not enroll at UT and come with them to USC and to convince a few of the other early enrollees to do the same. Player is disgusted and turns his phone on speaker. Players nearby here Coach O doing this pitch. Several get up and walk out on Kiffin at that moment.

I think he's a dirtbag. Do. Not. Want.

I probably could have jumped on a Orgeron bandwagon a few years ago when he was rolling and had all the hype and whatnot, now- no thanks. We can do better.

I thought a "dark horse" candidate is somebody not on the radar that can actually get the job done. Amiright?

I wouldn't hate that hire. His defenses have been well above average in every situation he's been in other than his stint with Chiz. is that a coinkydink? I think not.

So were the defenses of every DC we have had since Muschamp.

I wouldn't hate that hire. His defenses have been well above average in every situation he's been in other than his stint with Chiz. is that a coinkydink? I think not.

We'll just have to disagree. I wouldn't say Auburn's defenses were even close to average over the last 4 to 6 years. In fact, I'd say finishing at or near the bottom of the SEC is not average and that's where we've consistently been for a while.

We can do a lot better then Ted Roof.

I think so too but he has been pretty effective everywhere he's been except for Auburn. I would think that, if they can't reach a deal with Boom, they should go after Randy Shannon.

I think so too but he has been pretty effective everywhere he's been except for Auburn. I would think that, if they can't reach a deal with Boom, they should go after Randy Shannon.

I suspect with Boom, if its not one thing holding a deal up its going to be 2 things. He's a good DC but he's also an extraordinary prima donna. I'd be very pleased with Shannon and to send Boom on his way.

I suspect with Boom, if its not one thing holding a deal up its going to be 2 things. He's a good DC but he's also an extraordinary prima donna. I'd be very pleased with Shannon and to send Boom on his way.

...which completely contradicts everything Florida people say about him. You got any backup for that assertion?

...which completely contradicts everything Florida people say about him. You got any backup for that assertion?

Really don't need UF fan assist. if the story is true that he left Auburn in '07 because he didn't get almost 50 tickets to the Bowl game when all the other coaches got less than 20, well, I rest my case. Feel free to have your own opinion, I have mine.

Really don't need UF fan assist. if the story is true that he left Auburn in '07 because he didn't get almost 50 tickets to the Bowl game when all the other coaches got less than 20, well, I rest my case. Feel free to have your own opinion, I have mine.

So *if* a hypothetical thing you heard wherever is true (which was not a qualifier you threw out before), then he's an "extraordinary prima donna." Not to mention it was never said that he left because of an issue over tickets, just that he had a somewhat heated disagreement with Tim Jackson, everyone's favorite ticket manager, over some bowl game tickets. Amazing the confidence anonymous message board posters speak with about people they don't know.

And stop throwing out this misguided "opinion" blanket you use to cover any harebrained theory you want to express. It doesn't give you a free pass to make s*** up.

Not to mention, you don't just quit a job and move your family 2 states away over tickets.

Exactly. There was a lot that went into his decision to leave for Texas. Bowl ticket disagreements wasn't anything near the reason.

He was 35 on top of the world and first time at a major program god forbid he gets a little upset about something and it get all blown out of proportion

We'll just have to disagree. I wouldn't say Auburn's defenses were even close to average over the last 4 to 6 years. In fact, I'd say finishing at or near the bottom of the SEC is not average and that's where we've consistently been for a while.

You misunderstood. What I was saying that every other DC, including Roof, we have had was successful before and after Auburn but not at Auburn. I don't get it.

It's easy to forget with their recent malaise, but Texas was at their peak during the Mack Brown years from 2002-2009. They won 10-13 games a year every year during that stretch. When Muschamp went there, they were two years removed from a BCS title and Chizik had just parlayed the DC job into a HC gig. For all Auburn's success in the mid 00's, they kept falling short (aside from 2004) of winning the division.

You didn't need some flimsy reason like Tim Jackson being a ticket-hoarding douchebag to leave for Texas in 2007.

It's easy to forget with their recent malaise, but Texas was at their peak during the Mack Brown years from 2002-2009. They won 10-13 games a year every year during that stretch. When Muschamp went there, they were two years removed from a BCS title and Chizik had just parlayed the DC job into a HC gig. For all Auburn's success in the mid 00's, they kept falling short (aside from 2004) of winning the division.

You didn't need some flimsy reason like Tim Jackson being a ticket-hoarding douchebag to leave for Texas in 2007.

JMO...but you might want to watch the personal attacks....don't need that to defend Muschamp's decision to leave.

I agree with Titan.....as far as Roof, stay away, we need to rejuvenate that staff, Coach Joe Whitt Jr., has learned alot and developed a secondary at NFL level

Guest jojo1515

JMO...but you might want to watch the personal attacks....don't need that to defend Muschamp's decision to leave.

I'm never usually the first to defend TT, but I don't see any personal attack anywhere in that post. Pretty sure he was saying WM didn't need a flimsy reason to leave for Texas

Archived