Ted Roof a dark horse candidate

DyeHardAllTheWay

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy said Ted Roof is HIS dark horse candidate.....not Auburn's. Nothing has led anyone to believe that Gus would want to bring back Roof except this guy saying he thinks it would be a good idea.

Good grief, I could go and make a video saying Bill Belichick is a "dark horse" candidate and it would have as much validity as this.

dc2fd6da2c741a3b2f6ae5fcf700e06fafe43267ea271579118ef4292ffb25c6.jpg

As was noted above, under no circumstances do I want someone who is going to coach from the press box again.

Coaching from the box has absolutely nothing to do with ability.

Whether roof was held back or not he's a terrible selection for numerous reasons. This would be one of the most dissapointing hires in a long time if we settled for roof

Please elaborate. Not challenging you, I just honestly don't know those reasons.

1)There are so many better options out there

2)Try telling recruits "Well last time I was at Auburn it didn't go so well but that wasn't my fault it will work out this time I promise!"

->On that same note TR isn't quite the level of recruiter I would like to have

3)Ted Roof's style of defense is very passive and frustrating to watch

He wouldn't be the worst option, but I hope he is option Z on Auburn's list

Yea I'm not sure I would feel good about that.

Funny enough, it wouldn't bother me in the least. Roof has had good defenses before AU, and at Penn State and now again at GT, he's had some pretty decent defenses again. That said, I don't believe Roof's hat is in the ring for DC at AU. Could happen given that he and Malzahn know each other and know what it was like working on Chizik's staff, but I'd be surprised.

As for all the "No! Not Ted Roof!" stuff, it was Roof who coordinated the defense that shut bammer down in the second half of the 2010 Iron Bowl and it was Roof who coordinate the defense in the national championship against the high flying Oregon Ducks. I wouldn't discount Roof near so much as some AU folks seem to. And I'll give him this: Roof had the good sense to get out of Auburn following the 2011 season, same as Malzahn. (I think both of them sort of saw what was coming at AU in 2012. Maybe not as bad as it was, but I think they knew it wasn't going to be good and neither wanted to be a part of it.)

Whether roof was held back or not he's a terrible selection for numerous reasons. This would be one of the most dissapointing hires in a long time if we settled for roof

Please elaborate. Not challenging you, I just honestly don't know those reasons.

2)Try telling recruits "Well last time I was at Auburn it didn't go so well but that wasn't my fault it will work out this time I promise!"

That's not right

I can see your point on 1 and 2, but #3 is incorrect in terms of being passive. At AU it generally was, but everywhere else he's been known for being aggressive. His defense at PSU were better than AUs immediately after getting there and that was with a team full of walk ons. Say what you want, but TR is not as bad as he appeared at AU. His stops before and certainly after have proved that IMO.

As was noted above, under no circumstances do I want someone who is going to coach from the press box again.

This is literally a non-factor in terms of criteria for hiring a coordinator.

Yes, Roof shut down Bama in the second half of the 2010 Iron Bowl. But we still required the biggest comeback in Iron Bowl history to get back in the game due to all the points he conceded in the first half. Not exactly a stat to hang one's hat on.

We had the 60th ranked defense in 2010, btw. By far the worst defense to win a championship in recent history.

Roof is a darkhorse candidate for DC to the same degree than I'm a darkhorse candidate....which is to say "not at all."

Eases my brain. If they announced that hire I'd be a bit upset.

Who knows, maybe Gus and Roof commiserated together when on the staff together about Chiziks interference and Gus knows what Roof can produce if he runs his own show. For one thing, Gus would know for sure the character, temperament and abilities first hand on Roof where he has not worked with Muschamp, Shannon or others being mentioned. If Roof uses a 4-2-5, then our guys know the basics of the scheme and maybe Roof can coach them up on the mistakes to make the necessary improvements.

I am not saying I am in favor of Roof, but I could see the possibilities. What I do know, is I don't know as much as Gus so i will trust him to make the best choice given all circumstances he has to consider.

Gus needs a decent defense to compliment his offense. He isn't going to put his own career on the line and roll the dice giving Ted Roof a 2nd chance at AU.

That won't happen... Gus seemed reluctant to clean house when he got to AU. But Roof will just be a DC similar to Johnson.

Anyone thought about Ed Orgeron? He is a great recruiter and has SEC experience. Can't really remember his D at Ole Miss but I know his players love playing for him. And he won at USC last year as the interim head coach once Kiffin was out.

Gus needs a decent defense to compliment his offense. He isn't going to put his own career on the line and roll the dice giving Ted Roof a 2nd chance at AU.

Not like Roof needs a second chance anywhere...he's doing fine where he is...at his alma mater.

Can't see any benefit to him or AU for him to come back.

That won't happen... Gus seemed reluctant to clean house when he got to AU. But Roof will just be a DC similar to Johnson.

Anyone thought about Ed Orgeron? He is a great recruiter and has SEC experience. Can't really remember his D at Ole Miss but I know his players love playing for him. And he won at USC last year as the interim head coach once Kiffin was out.

The "Cookie Monster" is an interesting option. At the end of his run as interim coach, I felt he was a bit unprofessional with the way he handled the situation. He was very public about wanting to be head coach after USC had already decided against it. It rubbed me the wrong way.

This guy said Ted Roof is HIS dark horse candidate.....not Auburn's. Nothing has led anyone to believe that Gus would want to bring back Roof except this guy saying he thinks it would be a good idea.

Good grief, I could go and make a video saying Bill Belichick is a "dark horse" candidate and it would have as much validity as this.

Again with the reality check. Well done!

Who knows, maybe Gus and Roof commiserated together when on the staff together about Chiziks interference and Gus knows what Roof can produce if he runs his own show. For one thing, Gus would know for sure the character, temperament and abilities first hand on Roof where he has not worked with Muschamp, Shannon or others being mentioned. If Roof uses a 4-2-5, then our guys know the basics of the scheme and maybe Roof can coach them up on the mistakes to make the necessary improvements.

I am not saying I am in favor of Roof, but I could see the possibilities. What I do know, is I don't know as much as Gus so i will trust him to make the best choice given all circumstances he has to consider.

Even Stevie Wonder can see there's no way in hell it's happening.

Well, you know what they say about blind squirrels . . . or is it, sometimes you feel like one and sometimes you don't?!

Archived