Bear's Syndrome: A Must Read!

Aubie7

Titan:

I think this really gives backup to your posts on living in the past! This is so funny because it is so true!

November 20, 2004

Bear with me, the Iron Bowl is here

As kickoff approaches for the Iron Bowl today, it’s important to take time out to remember those less fortunate  those who battle daily with the silent killer known as Bear’s Syndrome.

Volunteers across the South and throughout the country continue to devote time and energy to fight this debilitating illness. People can face their fears, face the truth and begin a life not mired in the distant past.

I’m unfamiliar with Bear’s Syndrome. What causes it? What are its effects?

Most sufferers of Bear’s Syndrome developed the disorder as a result of residency in the state of Alabama in the 1960s and 1970s. The illness exhibits itself through dementia and an individual's overall inability to grasp reality.

Sufferers are essentially frozen in time, trapped in an era 25 years past, when mesh caps weren’t worn ironically and Birmingham’s Legion Field was, amazingly, considered a neutral site by everyone, save a minority faction of the Heart of Dixie.

How do I determine whether I am, or someone I love is, afflicted with Bear’s Syndrome?

Do you feel faint or suffer shortness of breath when the name Albert Means is mentioned?

Do you believe the introduction of scholarship limitations was a Communist plot?

Do you believe the number 12 (or even 21) represents any of the numbers 6 through 9?

Are you prone to bouts of rage when you see Phillip Fulmer or eat pumpkin-based food products?

Do you believe this is the year 1979?

Do you insist to friends and family that Dennis Franchione is dead or retired rather than on the sidelines at another institution of higher learning?

Do you no longer enjoy watching exotic dancers and, instead, find your fists clinched or your stomach knotted when in the vicinity of a strip club?

Do you believe the words “Vanderbilt†and “rival†as well as “tradition†and “victories†are synonymous?

Do you believe your allegiance, if only partial, to a particular football team makes you a better person than someone else?

If you answered “yes†to any of these questions, you could have Bear’s Syndrome. A medical professional, or most people outside the state of Alabama with a basic knowledge of 21st century college football, can provide counsel.

Is anyone susceptible to Bear’s Syndrome?

Yes. But there are high-risk groups: (1) Anyone who resided in Alabama in the 1960s or 1970s for at least two or three football seasons; (2) anyone who resided in Georgia in the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s who owns anything adorned with a red Green Bay Packers logo; (3) any previous or current resident of Tennessee in whom Johnny Majors inadvertently caused feelings of inferiority; and (4) Keith Jackson.

Why the houndstooth pattern for the Bear’s Syndrome ribbon? Why not red, pink or yellow?

Little is really known about the intial carrier, or "Patient Zero," because media reports of the time not only shielded him but also perpetuated his inexplicable godlike status. Researchers do know he spent time in Kentucky and Texas before settling in Alabama, where the disorder first arose. But they have yet to determine whether his penchant for Jack Daniels played a role in the disease becoming contagious. However, video footage and photographs do confirm that Patient Zero habitually wore a hat with a houndstooth fabric pattern.

What can I do to help?

Tens of thousands could be spared through education, prevention and “tough love.†You can make a difference. And all it takes is a willingness to meet the illness head on, one at a time.

If you see anyone, anywhere, anytime wearing a shirt that reads "Got Twelve?", be willing to stop them, hug them and answer, "No, I don't. But you don't, either. Will you allow me to help?"

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you see anyone, anywhere, anytime wearing a shirt that reads "Got Twelve?", be willing to stop them, hug them and answer, "No, I don't. But you don't, either. Will you allow me to help?"

132215[/snapback]

But don't hug too tight, you might get chewing tobacco on your shirt.

Titan:

I think this really gives backup to your posts on living in the past! This is so funny because it is so true!

November 20, 2004

Bear with me, the Iron Bowl is here

As kickoff approaches for the Iron Bowl today, it’s important to take time out to remember those less fortunate — those who battle daily with the silent killer known as Bear’s Syndrome.

Volunteers across the South and throughout the country continue to devote time and energy to fight this debilitating illness. People can face their fears, face the truth and begin a life not mired in the distant past.

I’m unfamiliar with Bear’s Syndrome. What causes it? What are its effects?

Most sufferers of Bear’s Syndrome developed the disorder as a result of residency in the state of Alabama in the 1960s and 1970s. The illness exhibits itself through dementia and an individual's overall inability to grasp reality.

Sufferers are essentially frozen in time, trapped in an era 25 years past, when mesh caps weren’t worn ironically and Birmingham’s Legion Field was, amazingly, considered a neutral site by everyone, save a minority faction of the Heart of Dixie.

How do I determine whether I am, or someone I love is, afflicted with Bear’s Syndrome?

Do you feel faint or suffer shortness of breath when the name Albert Means is mentioned?

Do you believe the introduction of scholarship limitations was a Communist plot?

Do you believe the number 12 (or even 21) represents any of the numbers 6 through 9?

Are you prone to bouts of rage when you see Phillip Fulmer or eat pumpkin-based food products?

Do you believe this is the year 1979?

Do you insist to friends and family that Dennis Franchione is dead or retired rather than on the sidelines at another institution of higher learning?

Do you no longer enjoy watching exotic dancers and, instead, find your fists clinched or your stomach knotted when in the vicinity of a strip club?

Do you believe the words “Vanderbilt” and “rival” as well as “tradition” and “victories” are synonymous?

Do you believe your allegiance, if only partial, to a particular football team makes you a better person than someone else?

If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you could have Bear’s Syndrome. A medical professional, or most people outside the state of Alabama with a basic knowledge of 21st century college football, can provide counsel.

Is anyone susceptible to Bear’s Syndrome?

Yes. But there are high-risk groups: (1) Anyone who resided in Alabama in the 1960s or 1970s for at least two or three football seasons; (2) anyone who resided in Georgia in the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s who owns anything adorned with a red Green Bay Packers logo; (3) any previous or current resident of Tennessee in whom Johnny Majors inadvertently caused feelings of inferiority; and (4) Keith Jackson.

Why the houndstooth pattern for the Bear’s Syndrome ribbon? Why not red, pink or yellow?

Little is really known about the intial carrier, or "Patient Zero," because media reports of the time not only shielded him but also perpetuated his inexplicable godlike status. Researchers do know he spent time in Kentucky and Texas before settling in Alabama, where the disorder first arose. But they have yet to determine whether his penchant for Jack Daniels played a role in the disease becoming contagious.  However, video footage and photographs do confirm that Patient Zero habitually wore a hat with a houndstooth fabric pattern.

What can I do to help?

Tens of thousands could be spared through education, prevention and “tough love.” You can make a difference. And all it takes is a willingness to meet the illness head on, one at a time.

132215[/snapback]

"Got 12? No, I don't but you don't either." :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Destined for the Classics Forum. Thanks, Aubie7. :thumbsup:

I think there are tons of fans who have "Bear's syndrome"..........on both sides. There are the bama fans who can't quit talking about how great the Bear was and how bama was unstoppable then, and there are AU fans that can't quit talking about bama fans who can't quit talking about the bear.

I think there are tons of fans who have "Bear's syndrome"..........on both sides.  There are the bama fans who can't quit talking about how great the Bear was and how bama was unstoppable then, and there are AU fans that can't quit talking about bama fans who can't quit talking about the bear.

132221[/snapback]

Except we dont go around wearing it on our tshirts!

I think there are tons of fans who have "Bear's syndrome"..........on both sides.  There are the bama fans who can't quit talking about how great the Bear was and how bama was unstoppable then, and there are AU fans that can't quit talking about bama fans who can't quit talking about the bear.

132221[/snapback]

Good satire only works if there is an element of truth to it. Cfb fans across the SEC can see the humor in this piece. If you really believe Bear's syndrome applies to AU people ( :lol: ) then why don't you write your own satirical piece about it? I'm sure there are a number of people that would get the humor. :au: WDE 12-0

132221[/snapback]

132223[/snapback]

That doesn't stop you guys from talking about him........a lot. Here's proof.

17 pages of threads that has something to do with Bear Bryant. Guess how many of them were started by bama fans.

Yea, but you're talking about Bama fans that can't quit talking about the Bear and Auburn fans that can't quit talking about Bama fans that can't quit talking about the Bear. I think. So what does that make you? :D:D

Yea, but you're talking about Bama fans that can't quit talking about the Bear and Auburn fans that can't quit talking about Bama fans that can't quit talking about the Bear.  I think.  So what does that make you? :D  :D

132229[/snapback]

A bama fan that just pulled up 17 pages of threads on an AU board about the Bear to prove his point??

p.s. you got me esquire, by the way. :moon::moon:

Guest Tigrinum Major

132221[/snapback]

132223[/snapback]

17 pages of threads that has something to do with Bear Bryant. Guess how many of them were started by bama fans.

132226[/snapback]

TF, I respect your opinion and think that you are a good, though misguided, person. However, you have beat this horse enough. You are too young to understand what we are talking about. Ask yourself these questions...

1) Have I ever been to Randolph County and had a conversation with the first person I saw at the local gas station sporting an Alabama hat?

2) Have I listened to Doug Layton on the radio lately?

3) Have I ever really had a conversation with a real redneck dyed in the houndstooth looking through crimson glasses Bama fan? I am not talking about someone you met in Birmingham or Tuscaloosa at a game. I am talking one of Blount County's finest, a sherriff's deputy who couldn't find Tuscaloosa on a map because he couldn't spell it?

4) Have I looked around Tuscaloosa lately and seen all the crap that still bears PB's name (including the brand new high school in town), such as The Houndstooth, The PBB Museum, Bryant Hall, etc., ad naseum?

Until you can have answer these questions as yes and tell me that some/most/a maojority of Bama fans aren't hung up on the Bar, lay off the Auburn fans making fun of those Bama fans that are. The stereotype is there. Whether you fit it or not, well, that is up for debate.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Yea, but you're talking about Bama fans that can't quit talking about the Bear and Auburn fans that can't quit talking about Bama fans that can't quit talking about the Bear.  I think.  So what does that make you? :D  :D

132229[/snapback]

A bama fan that just pulled up 17 pages of threads on an AU board about the Bear to prove his point??

p.s. you got me esquire, by the way. :moon::moon:

132232[/snapback]

I'm sorry, I just saw the 17 in bold large font and I thought a Bama fan was now claiming 17 MNCs. :poke:

132221[/snapback]

132223[/snapback]

132226[/snapback]

TF, I respect your opinion and think that you are a good, though misguided, person. However, you have beat this horse enough. You are too young to understand what we are talking about. Ask yourself these questions...

1) Have I ever been to Randolph County and had a conversation with the first person I saw at the local gas station sporting an Alabama hat?

2) Have I listened to Doug Layton on the radio lately?

3) Have I ever really had a conversation with a real redneck dyed in the houndstooth looking through crimson glasses Bama fan? I am not talking about someone you met in Birmingham or Tuscaloosa at a game. I am talking one of Blount County's finest, a sherriff's deputy who couldn't find Tuscaloosa on a map because he couldn't spell it?

4) Have I looked around Tuscaloosa lately and seen all the crap that still bears PB's name (including the brand new high school in town), such as The Houndstooth, The PBB Museum, Bryant Hall, etc., ad naseum?

Until you can have answer these questions as yes and tell me that some/most/a maojority of Bama fans aren't hung up on the Bar, lay off the Auburn fans making fun of those Bama fans that are. The stereotype is there. Whether you fit it or not, well, that is up for debate.

132234[/snapback]

I have seen these bama fans you guys hammer. I've talked to them, and I know they are idiots. I've made fun of the "Got 12" shirt. I've been pm'ed on a bama board by more than one person telling me that I'm an AU lover because I spend a lot of time here, and I don't slam AU. You are right, the stereotype is there.

Just use the search feature and see how many times the bear gets mentioned. There's a poster here whose handle is "Bearsdead". This is Aubie7's second post at the top of the board that has something to do with the Bear. The stereotype I pointed out about AU fans is there too, but you guys will not see it.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I have seen these bama fans you guys hammer.  I've talked to them, and I know they are idiots.  I've made fun of the "Got 12" shirt.  I've been pm'ed on a bama board by more than one person telling me that I'm an AU lover because I spend a lot of time here, and I don't slam AU.  You are right, the stereotype is there. 

Just use the search feature and see how many times the bear gets mentioned.  There's a poster here whose handle is "Bearsdead".  This is Aubie7's second post at the top of the board that has something to do with the Bear.  The stereotype I pointed out about AU fans is there too, but you guys will not see it.

132238[/snapback]

We make fun of Bama fans continually bringing up the Bar because it's funny. It gets you irritated. We will continue. And it is the idiots we make fun of. And Auburn has their share of idiot fans (listened to Finebaum lately? All of those guys are real winners on both sides.) So, stop getting your crimson shorts in a wad when we make fun of the stereotype...of course, feel free to comment on it, it adds more fuel to the fire...

By the way, Bear is dead, so that guy's name is technically accurate. Now, if you wanted to make a name with something like "Barfieldsnowahighschooladministrator", feel free!!!

:poke:

Yeah I think its funny how AU fans want to label us as "obsessed" yet they dont make ANY efforts to STOP talking about coach bryant.

And I also think its funny that because we name stuff after him in ttown Aubie7 thinks that is obsessive. ESPN just ranked him the GREATEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH EVER. Yet you dont want us to EVER EVER EVER EVER have any rememberance of him...or you will label us as obsessed.

You dont think there is a bunch of stuff in NC that has Coach K's or Dean Smith's name on it?

HOLY CRAP...the coach of the year award has coach bryant's name on it...I guess the entire college football world is obsessed with him!

A man who is considered the greatest CF coach ever is reveered in the town where he had most of his success....oh no!

Guest Tigrinum Major
A man who is considered the greatest CF coach ever is reveered in the town where he had most of his success....oh no!

132241[/snapback]

Ok, I will give you that, but how do you explain the OBSESSION that some of your more educationally challenged fans have when it comes to hiring a new coach..."We gotta get one of Bear's boys. We need to keep it in the Bryant family." Hell, y'all tried to turn Stallings into Bear and I think HE bought into it.

You have every right to be proud of him. He was successful. His teams won a ton of games. But some of your fans have turned him into something bigger than the university itself.

We love Shug. He was our best coach for a long time. But he wasn't, when he was there or since, bigger than the school itself. He brought us one MNC and he had some great teams. He has some things named for him, but he isn't put on a pedastal like Bryant. He won fewer games and championships, but, like Bryant, he was still just a football coach.

I guess that football is all y'all have to hang your hat on and that is being taken away from you now. So sad... :poke:

Okay, I have a little theory that explains it. At least for me anyway. Over the years, I've seen a couple of polls concerning the percentage of Alabama to AU fans and they show a far greater number of Bama fans in this state. I know, I know....No $h*# Sherlock. But why is that? The schools are and always have been relatively the same as far as enrollment and I assume they're both pumping out relatively the same number of graduates into society.

I think it comes from the very man we are discussing, Bear Bryant. It is undeniable the 25 year run of dominance he had and it was during a time when the head coach of a major university was just as revered and recognizable as the governor himself. The old saying that everybody loves a winner holds true in this instance as well. Many people who had no allegiance or ties to a college more or less adopted Alabama as the team they pulled for, much like our love of a particular pro team even though we don't live in that city. Alabama was dominating all those years and they were the university that carried the state's name. And Bear Bryant was the man at the helm of it all.

I dare say that the many of the Alabama fans that "can't let go of the Bear" are those that never had any ties to the university but grew up as fans of Alabama solely because of what Bear Bryant accomplished. Call it a bandwagon if you will but it was a pretty large bandwagon and there were a lot of years to get on it. As a consequence, there are many of those folks that bring up the glory years in most conversations, something that gets under the skin of Auburn fans that grew up in that era. Okay, that's my psychology lesson for today. Class dismissed.

Actually its not all we have to hang our hat on. I respect your opinion, but its easier to look down on how we "act" when you dont have a coach in this position. If CTT goes on to win 6 MNCs and a billion sec titles...then lets see how you guys revere him. To me its kind of like the instant superiority complex you guys got this year...the same one yall rag us for having for so long...and then you justify it by saying you can do it...because we did it.

I see the poking fun stick so I know you dont mean what you said...but we have plenty to be proud of.

Not far removed from a Gymnastics NC

1 year removed from a baseball SEC title

Went to elite 8 last year in basketball

Won SEC title in Basketball 3 years ago

Been to the tourney ..what 3 years straight?

Not far removed from SEC title in softball and a CWS appearance

And we just happened to be ranked ahead of AU academically this year...

Things are looking up! :)

Guest Tigrinum Major

132250[/snapback]

You forgot to include "for the first time EVER." on this sentence. Or was that was the dots meant?

Oh man, thats good stuff. :icon_lol:

132250[/snapback]

You forgot to include "for the first time EVER." on this sentence. Or was that was the dots meant?

132251[/snapback]

Because its not the first time ever.

Guest Tigrinum Major

132250[/snapback]

132251[/snapback]

Because its not the first time ever.

132256[/snapback]

Are we talking "U.S News & World Report" rankings? Then it is the first time ever. Or are we talking about some Howard Scripps poll from the 1920's? Please clarify and back up your statements.

great post 7. very true, very true.

It's sad the bammers don't know the difference between tradition and history. If they did, threads like this wouldn't be neccessary every few days.

great post 7. very true, very true.

It's sad the bammers don't know the difference between tradition and history. If they did, threads like this wouldn't be neccessary every few days.

132260[/snapback]

So that is why you guys CONSTANTLY bring up the issue...its a public service thing! cool...now i know.

I have a theory of my own!

These posts are made just to get a reaction out of BG. :moon:

It seems to be working, guys! He's been awfully testy as of late.

Good Work! B)

Archived