Bear's Syndrome: A Must Read!

Aubie7

Here's proof.

17 pages of threads that has something to do with Bear Bryant.  Guess how many of them were started by bama fans.

132226[/snapback]

Wow that's right in there with a bama fan who had made over 1300 posts..................on an Auburn board :poke:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the state's infatuation with Alabama football began before Bryant. During the depression years, more or less, Alabama helped fend off the Yankee-based paranoia when Bama would win in the Rose Bowl and other national match-ups. It was like the hero theme that the "Seabiscuit" movie folks tried to portray--here was a hero for the common man, who took their minds off the dreary life and gave the citizens--blue collar and all--something to cheer up about.

Auburn, meanwhile, was struggling. Not really giving football the emphasis it would eventually come to command. If there had been no break in the series (1908-1947) the series record would be pretty lop-sided in Bama's favor.

But little by little, Auburn began to re-emphasize football in a major way. Getting the series restarted. Getting Georgia to come to Auburn. Getting Georgia Tech to come to Auburn. Getting Tennessee to come to Auburn. And, yes, getting Alabama to come to Auburn. Chip by chip, brick by brick, Auburn has established itself and pulled up with, and very often ahead, of many.

After Auburn won the MNC in 1957, with a 40-0 walloping of Bama along the way, the Tuscaloosa folks were frantic. They got Bryant to come over and there is no doubt as to what the result was.

Today, it's a different world. Auburn has proven that it can be competitive with anyone. The Bama folk don't want to admit it, so they resort to either falling back on glorious times past or else speaking in optimistic terms about where they are heading. Each comment, each fragment of news, each commitment is touted as "proof" that things are on the way to restoring them to their "rightful place". I don't know who determines what their rightful place is, but believe me, it ain't ordained.

Maybe Shula can do it, but so far I don't see it. Beginning with his first public appearance, he didn't look like he was ready. I have to admit that I actually felt for the guy. He MAY have out-recruited Auburn a bit last year. (I say Auburn and not Tuberville, because Tuberville was swimming upstream with a cast-iron anchor around his neck, thanks to our prez, AD and SACS. We will see how things turn out this year.)

Shula also seems to have surrounded himself with a staff that provides him with comfort, not the best performance. He chose people who were around when he was a player at Tuscaloosa, not necessarily a group who could deliver big-time. (Yeah, I know the defense did well. But who had the best defense in the Iron Bowl this year? Believe me, it wasn't Kines.) Hard fact: Bama lost 5 games this year, using players that Shula didn't recruit. While I don't expect it, they could wind up a 0.500 team this season.

I suspect that Bama may not have bottomed out. We shall see. They will become competitive eventually. They are, after all, a football factory. But their "rightful place" will have to be redefined.

The Bama people cannot be changed by banter, razzing or argument. They can only be changed by a steady stream of RESULTS. So far, a number of schools are delivering those results. Auburn has managed to hold the series even over the last TWENTY SIX years, depite suffering more from probation than UA. We can hope and work such that the drip, drip, erosive drip continues long enough for a little humility to sink in. But it will take a long time: arrogance causes a certain blindness.

I think there are tons of fans who have "Bear's syndrome"..........on both sides.  There are the bama fans who can't quit talking about how great the Bear was and how bama was unstoppable then, and there are AU fans that can't quit talking about bama fans who can't quit talking about the bear.

132221[/snapback]

Except we dont go around wearing it on our tshirts!

132223[/snapback]

That doesn't stop you guys from talking about him........a lot. Here's proof.

17 pages of threads that has something to do with Bear Bryant. Guess how many of them were started by bama fans.

132226[/snapback]

You have got to understand something: Anytime we get bored or want to harass you guys, all we have to do is say something about Bryant cheating, or anything negative about him. Then we can just sit back and watch you guys explode! It is a lot of fun! :big::au:

I think there are tons of fans who have "Bear's syndrome"..........on both sides.  There are the bama fans who can't quit talking about how great the Bear was and how bama was unstoppable then, and there are AU fans that can't quit talking about bama fans who can't quit talking about the bear.

132221[/snapback]

Except we dont go around wearing it on our tshirts!

132223[/snapback]

That doesn't stop you guys from talking about him........a lot. Here's proof.

17 pages of threads that has something to do with Bear Bryant. Guess how many of them were started by bama fans.

132226[/snapback]

TF, I respect your opinion and think that you are a good, though misguided, person. However, you have beat this horse enough. You are too young to understand what we are talking about. Ask yourself these questions...

1) Have I ever been to Randolph County and had a conversation with the first person I saw at the local gas station sporting an Alabama hat?

2) Have I listened to Doug Layton on the radio lately?

3) Have I ever really had a conversation with a real redneck dyed in the houndstooth looking through crimson glasses Bama fan? I am not talking about someone you met in Birmingham or Tuscaloosa at a game. I am talking one of Blount County's finest, a sherriff's deputy who couldn't find Tuscaloosa on a map because he couldn't spell it?

4) Have I looked around Tuscaloosa lately and seen all the crap that still bears PB's name (including the brand new high school in town), such as The Houndstooth, The PBB Museum, Bryant Hall, etc., ad naseum?

Until you can have answer these questions as yes and tell me that some/most/a maojority of Bama fans aren't hung up on the Bar, lay off the Auburn fans making fun of those Bama fans that are. The stereotype is there. Whether you fit it or not, well, that is up for debate.

132234[/snapback]

I have seen these bama fans you guys hammer. I've talked to them, and I know they are idiots. I've made fun of the "Got 12" shirt. I've been pm'ed on a bama board by more than one person telling me that I'm an AU lover because I spend a lot of time here, and I don't slam AU. You are right, the stereotype is there.

Just use the search feature and see how many times the bear gets mentioned. There's a poster here whose handle is "Bearsdead". This is Aubie7's second post at the top of the board that has something to do with the Bear. The stereotype I pointed out about AU fans is there too, but you guys will not see it.

132238[/snapback]

Post it, and they will come.

Yeah I think its funny how AU fans want to label us as "obsessed" yet they dont make ANY efforts to STOP talking about coach bryant.

And I also think its funny that because we name stuff after him in ttown Aubie7 thinks that is obsessive. ESPN just ranked him the GREATEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH EVER. Yet you dont want us to EVER EVER EVER EVER have any rememberance of him...or you will label us as obsessed.

You dont think there is a bunch of stuff in NC that has Coach K's or Dean Smith's name on it?

HOLY CRAP...the coach of the year award has coach bryant's name on it...I guess the entire college football world is obsessed with him!

A man who is considered the greatest CF coach ever is reveered in the town where he had most of his success....oh no!

132241[/snapback]

Wow, I guess the old saying that "cheaters never win" isn't true! Just look at all that Bryant accomplished! :roflol:

Actually its not all we have to hang our hat on. I respect your opinion, but its easier to look down on how we "act" when you dont have a coach in this position. If CTT goes on to win 6 MNCs and a billion sec titles...then lets see how you guys revere him. To me its kind of like the instant superiority complex you guys got this year...the same one yall rag us for having for so long...and then you justify it by saying you can do it...because we did it.

I see the poking fun stick so I know you dont mean what you said...but we have plenty to be proud of.

Not far removed from a Gymnastics NC

1 year removed from a baseball SEC title

Went to elite 8 last year in basketball

Won SEC title in Basketball 3 years ago

Been to the tourney ..what 3 years straight?

Not far removed from SEC title in softball and a CWS appearance

And we just happened to be ranked ahead of AU academically this year...

Things are looking up! :)

132250[/snapback]

Yes, it is all you have to hang your hat on. No one, outside those directly involved, give a rat's @$$ about those other sports you just mentioned. The "average" UAT fan does not follow those sports. Don't believe me? Just stop at that gas station, that was mentioned above, and start talking about gymnastics. Those guys will have no idea about UAT's team. They will, though, probably tell you that Bryant built the Gymnastics team into a contender! :roflol:

132250[/snapback]

You forgot to include "for the first time EVER." on this sentence. Or was that was the dots meant?

132251[/snapback]

Are you sure about this ranking? Was Sarigan involved in this? Don't worry, it won't last. I hear the NCAA is investigating UAT about how their professors give grades. They will be put on probation, lose 15 professorships, over the next 2 years, and be banned from any type of academic bowl competions for 2 years.

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

Actually, the state's infatuation with Alabama football began before Bryant.  During the depression years, more or less, Alabama helped fend off the Yankee-based paranoia when Bama would win in the Rose Bowl and other national match-ups.  It was like the hero theme that the "Seabiscuit" movie folks tried to portray--here was a hero for the common man, who took their minds off the dreary life and gave the citizens--blue collar and all--something to cheer up about.

Auburn, meanwhile, was struggling.  Not really giving football the emphasis it would eventually come to command.  If there had been no break in the series (1908-1947) the series record would be pretty lop-sided in Bama's favor.

But little by little, Auburn began to re-emphasize football in a major way.  Getting the series restarted.  Getting Georgia to come to Auburn.  Getting Georgia Tech to come to Auburn.  Getting Tennessee to come to Auburn.  And, yes, getting Alabama to come to Auburn.  Chip by chip, brick by brick, Auburn has established itself and pulled up with, and very often ahead, of many.

After Auburn won the MNC in 1957, with a 40-0 walloping of Bama along the way, the Tuscaloosa folks were frantic.  They got Bryant to come over and there is no doubt as to what the result was.

Today, it's a different world.  Auburn has proven that it can be competitive with anyone.  The Bama folk don't want to admit it, so they resort to either falling back on glorious times past or else speaking in optimistic terms about where they are heading.  Each comment, each fragment of news, each commitment is touted as "proof" that things are on the way to restoring them to their "rightful place".  I don't know who determines what their rightful place is, but believe me, it ain't ordained.

Maybe Shula can do it, but so far I don't see it.  Beginning with his first public appearance, he didn't look like he was ready.  I have to admit that I actually felt for the guy.  He MAY have out-recruited Auburn a bit last year.  (I say Auburn and not Tuberville, because Tuberville was swimming upstream with a cast-iron anchor around his neck, thanks to our prez, AD and SACS.  We will see how things turn out this year.)

Shula also seems to have surrounded himself with a staff that provides him with comfort, not the best performance.  He chose people who were around when he was a player at Tuscaloosa, not necessarily a group who could deliver big-time.  (Yeah, I know the defense did well.  But who had the best defense in the Iron Bowl this year?  Believe me, it wasn't Kines.) Hard fact: Bama lost 5 games this year, using players that Shula didn't recruit.  While I don't expect it, they could wind up a 0.500 team this season.

I suspect that Bama may not have bottomed out.  We shall see. They will become competitive eventually.  They are, after all, a football factory.  But their "rightful place" will have to be redefined.

The Bama people cannot be changed by banter, razzing or argument.  They can only be changed by a steady stream of RESULTS.  So far, a number of schools are delivering those results.  Auburn has managed to hold the series even over the last TWENTY SIX years, depite suffering more from probation than UA.  We can hope and work such that the drip, drip, erosive drip continues long enough for a little humility to sink in.  But it will take a long time: arrogance causes a certain blindness.

132302[/snapback]

Are you a bammer? <_< You give them way too much credit. In the years that Auburn and UAT did not play, Auburn fielded some strong teams. I seriously doubt that the series would have been slanted strongly to the UAT side.

I have seen these bama fans you guys hammer.  I've talked to them, and I know they are idiots.  I've made fun of the "Got 12" shirt.  I've been pm'ed on a bama board by more than one person telling me that I'm an AU lover because I spend a lot of time here, and I don't slam AU.  You are right, the stereotype is there. 

Just use the search feature and see how many times the bear gets mentioned.  There's a poster here whose handle is "Bearsdead".   This is Aubie7's second post at the top of the board that has something to do with the Bear.  The stereotype I pointed out about AU fans is there too, but you guys will not see it.

132238[/snapback]

By the way, Bear is dead, so that guy's name is technically accurate. Now, if you wanted to make a name with something like "Barfieldsnowahighschooladministrator", feel free!!!

:poke:

132240[/snapback]

So you're telling me that if someone registers with the handle "Fyffesdead" you guys won't have a sh*t fit? Because technically, it would be accurate.

Wow that's right in there with a bama fan who had made over 1300 posts..................on an Auburn board

Well, there ya go. I'll admit that I'm obsessed with AUnation.net as soon as some of yours admit that they can't let go of Coach Bryant. From the looks of things, neither of us can get enough. :D

Are you a bammer?

First you make a post dedicated to Coach Bryant, and then you call out one of your own when their opinion differs from you. Are you sure YOU aren't a "bammer"?? You should join Tidefans.com, you guys are a lot alike.

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

Yes indeed. The uat "meltdown" is well underway. :big:

Guest Tigrinum Major
So you're telling me that if someone registers with the handle "Fyffesdead" you guys won't have a sh*t fit?  Because technically, it would be accurate.

Call me crazy, but I kind of doubt seriously that that kind of name would fly on an Auburn board. It might on a Bama board, but I just think you might get a bigger negative reaction to it on here, like maybe banned for it.

Sometimes place and time has something to do with the appropriateness of the action...

I have seen these bama fans you guys hammer.  I've talked to them, and I know they are idiots.  I've made fun of the "Got 12" shirt.  I've been pm'ed on a bama board by more than one person telling me that I'm an AU lover because I spend a lot of time here, and I don't slam AU.  You are right, the stereotype is there. 

Just use the search feature and see how many times the bear gets mentioned.  There's a poster here whose handle is "Bearsdead".   This is Aubie7's second post at the top of the board that has something to do with the Bear.  The stereotype I pointed out about AU fans is there too, but you guys will not see it.

132238[/snapback]

By the way, Bear is dead, so that guy's name is technically accurate. Now, if you wanted to make a name with something like "Barfieldsnowahighschooladministrator", feel free!!!

:poke:

132240[/snapback]

So you're telling me that if someone registers with the handle "Fyffesdead" you guys won't have a sh*t fit? Because technically, it would be accurate.

Wow that's right in there with a bama fan who had made over 1300 posts..................on an Auburn board

Well, there ya go. I'll admit that I'm obsessed with AUnation.net as soon as some of yours admit that they can't let go of Coach Bryant. From the looks of things, neither of us can get enough. :D

Are you a bammer?

First you make a post dedicated to Coach Bryant, and then you call out one of your own when their opinion differs from you. Are you sure YOU aren't a "bammer"?? You should join Tidefans.com, you guys are a lot alike.

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

132336[/snapback]

Sometimes I wonder if you have any common sense!? Your glasses are such a dark pink that you can't see anything clearly, can you? :( All I said was that the series would not (which is MY opinion) be slanted to UAT. The crack about him being a bummer was in jest. Of course, not many UAT fans know about satire of this type becasue you live that way each day. That is one reason we laugh at you so much!

PS. Don't forget to put the hounds-tooth hat, made of Christmas lights, up on your trailer this year! You know the neighbors always love it! :roflol::roflol::roflol:

Wow, I guess the old saying that "cheaters never win" isn't true! Just look at all that Bryant accomplished! :roflol:

132308[/snapback]

Auburn= 2nd most penalized team in NCAA.........1st=SMU

This is the first year AU went undefeated and not on probation!

Slightly off topic but can any of you historians come up with the last time that one of the teams (AU/UAT) won twice as many games as the other team for two consecutive years. I'm sure it was probably in the Barfield era sometime, but I'm too lazy to do the research.

Actually its not all we have to hang our hat on. I respect your opinion, but its easier to look down on how we "act" when you dont have a coach in this position. If CTT goes on to win 6 MNCs and a billion sec titles...then lets see how you guys revere him. To me its kind of like the instant superiority complex you guys got this year...the same one yall rag us for having for so long...and then you justify it by saying you can do it...because we did it.

I see the poking fun stick so I know you dont mean what you said...but we have plenty to be proud of.

132250[/snapback]

Yes, it is all you have to hang your hat on. No one, outside those directly involved, give a rat's @$$ about those other sports you just mentioned. The "average" UAT fan does not follow those sports. Don't believe me? Just stop at that gas station, that was mentioned above, and start talking about gymnastics. Those guys will have no idea about UAT's team. They will, though, probably tell you that Bryant built the Gymnastics team into a contender! :roflol:

132309[/snapback]

So you're telling me this is the first year since 87 that AU fans have had ANYTHING to hang their hat on? Yeah you went undefeated in 93, but it didnt count because you got caught cheating. (using your logic on that one)

Help me out, because Im just trying to get where you are coming from...

The post I responded to said Football was all we had to hang our hat on. This, to me, implies that all the other things are bad in the world of alabama. (meaning things like gymnastics, baseball, basketball...etc) Now you are saying that the ONLY thing that matters is football. And since its been 16 years since AU's last championship of any kind (save one appearance in atlanta) I guess its been pretty dismal on the plains.

But hey Aubie7, thats cool...if I only have to put up with AU fans being this arrogant once every 16 years, I can handle it.

132250[/snapback]

132309[/snapback]

So you're telling me this is the first year since 87 that AU fans have had ANYTHING to hang their hat on? Yeah you went undefeated in 93, but it didnt count because you got caught cheating. (using your logic on that one)

Help me out, because Im just trying to get where you are coming from...

The post I responded to said Football was all we had to hang our hat on. This, to me, implies that all the other things are bad in the world of alabama. (meaning things like gymnastics, baseball, basketball...etc) Now you are saying that the ONLY thing that matters is football. And since its been 16 years since AU's last championship of any kind (save one appearance in atlanta) I guess its been pretty dismal on the plains.

But hey Aubie7, thats cool...if I only have to put up with AU fans being this arrogant once every 16 years, I can handle it.

132367[/snapback]

Why must you always interject into intelligent conversatins?These are things that you are not qualified to speak on? Please take time to go back, to the begining, and read our WHOLE conversation. It is not an ugly one, just two people having fun. You were not asked to join in, mainly becasue you would have nothing that anyone would want to hear. It doesn't matter what is said on this board, you try and take it on some kind of weird spin cycle. Are you related to John Kerry? :homer:

I don't recall talking about '87, but I will go back and look. But, as long as you want the spin cycle on. spin on this:

21-13, 28-23, 17-7! Go Minnesota!

PS. Hey BG are you going to your team's bowl game? What bowl is it?

Aubie7 why must you respond to a valid argument with nonfactual trash talk that has no bearing on the conversation?

Yes I'm going to the bowl game. It happens to be the same bowl your team went to last year...the year before you guys had an undefeated year. Next year is already lookin good for bama.

Guest Tigrinum Major
It happens to be the same bowl your team went to last year...the year before you guys had an undefeated year. Next year is already lookin good for bama.

132409[/snapback]

Kind of like that undefeated season that was supposed to occur when y'all went on probation like we did in '93? Oh, yeah, that didn't happen...

It happens to be the same bowl your team went to last year...the year before you guys had an undefeated year. Next year is already lookin good for bama.

132409[/snapback]

Kind of like that undefeated season that was supposed to occur when y'all went on probation like we did in '93? Oh, yeah, that didn't happen...

132411[/snapback]

What are you talking about?......2000?

Aubie7 why must you respond to a valid argument with nonfactual trash talk that has no bearing on the conversation?

Yes I'm going to the bowl game. It happens to be the same bowl your team went to last year...the year before you guys had an undefeated year. Next year is already lookin good for bama.

132409[/snapback]

YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENT! Dude, get a grip! Your comments have made NO sense what so ever, as usual. You have come up with some back@$$ numbnut argument, that isn't there. Give it up. you lose, just like your team.

The only reason I asked which bowl was this:

IT DOESN"T MATTER WHICH BOWL UAT IS GOING TO, YOU LOST, AGAIN, TO THE SEC CHAMPION AUBURN TIGERS!!!!! :au::cheer::au:

I am sure next year is looking good. Just like this year did, and the year before. :roflol:

132409[/snapback]

132411[/snapback]

Interesting choice of seasons considering the last undefeated team we had won the national title and the one you have will not.

IT DOESN"T MATTER WHICH BOWL UAT IS GOING TO, YOU LOST, AGAIN, TO THE SEC CHAMPION AUBURN TIGERS!!!!!

Like I said, it doesnt sting so bad when it is once every 16 years.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Like I said, it doesnt sting so bad when it is once every 16 years.

132474[/snapback]

How about when you get beat by a cow college three years in a row? How does that sting?

Hang on, here's a little salt...21-13. Oh, I forgot, since y'all were within a TD and 2 pt conversion (altough you never had the ball when it was this close in the 4th), it's a victory for Bama. If only...

Auburn= 2nd most penalized team in NCAA.........1st=SMU

This is the first year AU went undefeated and not on probation!

132356[/snapback]

Re NCAA penalties: Interesting topic. Check out which school is currently Leading the Nation Proudly Since 1992

Incorrect about AU's first undefeated season without on probation. Just admit it, you heard this from someone else and you decided to repeat it without bothering to check the facts. With one more win over Va Tech inthe Sugar Bowl, AU will have recorded 12 undefeated seasons in their glorious football history. uat's present total stands at 11.

Old post -- long but well worth reading if you seek the truth.

uat's newest and strongest tradishun......JEALOUSY. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Poor souls.....It must really be tough to try and prop up the failures of a snot nosed puppy in a Man's world. B)

:poke::poke::poke:

Archived