It's 'kind of like Christmas' for Auburn's early enrollees

augolf1716

Nice write up on the early enrollee's

By Charles Goldberg

AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. Chandler Cox and six other of Auburn's newest football players reported for class Wednesday with a smile on their faces.

They're getting a jump on the others in Auburn's 2015 signing class as high school or junior college players who finished up in their school work in December, allowing them to enroll for this spring semester and to be available for spring practice.

"I think it's real important because we're getting a head start on everybody else," said Cox, who figures to be an H-back with the Tigers. "By the time the other guys get here, we'll be ahead and know the playbook pretty well."

Or, as offensive lineman Tyler Carr said, "It's been kind of like Christmas. It kind of sped by, but the month before we enrolled it drug out."

Auburn's other early arrivals are running back Jovon Robinson, quarterback Tyler Queen, quarterback Jason Smith, offensive lineman Bailey Sharp and defensive tackle Maurice Swain.

Some are high schools guys. Some, such as Swain, are junior college transfers who are getting ahead of the game. Some, such as Robinson, has been at Auburn before, and he participated in bowl practice.

"We'll know what to expect, especially the JUCO guys," Swain said. "They're expecting us to step in right now. I think it's a big deal."

Cox has come to Auburn to block, to run, to catch some passes. He's come to Auburn to be a guy like former Auburn H-back/fullback Jay Prosch, a player who wasn't afraid to block.

"Definitely. Jay was a perfect example at that position and they think I can do it. I'm excited about it," said the 6-foot-2, 225-pounder from Apopka, Fla., who had almost 3,000 yards in his high school career, but is already talking blocking.

"In high school, I played all over the place. Here, I'll be a H-back and fullback and they'll be moving me around a little bit," Cox said.

Very nice writeup. Looking forward to seeing all these guys contributing in one form or another next season, especially Cox.

amen there....coaches tried everyone at FB/H back without much to show for it.

Most of those guys are gone now so looks like the gate is wide open for Cox....just hoping he is up to it....a big jump for him....blocking the big DEs all around the SEC. Another 20 pounds of muscle won't hurt him at all.

Very nice writeup. Looking forward to seeing all these guys contributing in one form or another next season, especially Cox.

Most of those guys are gone now so looks like the gate is wide open for Cox....just hoping he is up to it....a big jump for him....blocking the big DEs all around the SEC. Another 20 pounds of muscle won't hurt him at all.

Yes he better hit the buffet line and the weight room very hard if he wants to be another Prosch.

Yes he better hit the buffet line and the weight room very hard if he wants to be another Prosch.

Prosch was a beast..dude had arms the size of most peoples leg. But hey it's a good thing thats where this guy has his sights set. Sounds like he has the unselfish personality to go out there and block more than take hand offs. You can't coach that.

Jes

Didn't the guy who was in line to take the Prosch role last year get hurt? Is he coming back?

Yes, I believe it is Gage Batten. Hurt his knee and is a prototypical FB. Cox will add an offensive element to this o that we didnt even have with Prosch. If he can block 80% of what Prosch did, we will see vast improvements in the running game.

Jes

Didn't the guy who was in line to take the Prosch role last year get hurt? Is he coming back?

Yes, I believe it is Gage Batten. Hurt his knee and is a prototypical FB. Cox will add an offensive element to this o that we didnt even have with Prosch. If he can block 80% of what Prosch did, we will see vast improvements in the running game.

He's more athletic though. I can see us throwing to him more that Jay. Or lining him up in wildcat sometimes

Lets not forget Pettway in the H-Back role. I heard some good things about him during bowl practice sessions. But, I do like CC and in particular, his attitude. If these guys can come through H-Back seems to be well stocked.

Wish we more early enrollees. Looking at our commitments so far, we must not be recruiting a lot of junior college players who could step up right away when called on.

Wish we more early enrollees. Looking at our commitments so far, we must not be recruiting a lot of junior college players who could step up right away when called on.

That's a good thing. You want to keep a steady supply of talent on hand ready to step up. Get high school players who you can keep for at least 3 years If you rely on JC too much it hurts your program.

Archived