Why can't players shoot?

juscAUse

Per ESPN stats, we're ranked lower in assists per game (289th) than FG% per game (282nd).

Not trying to say anything too profound here, but perhaps our shooting woes aren't quite shooting woes at all. Consider that Auburn is perhaps an average shooting team, but we do not take good looks at the basket.

Assisted field goals (both 2 and 3pt shots) are usually more opened and higher percentage shots, as they come through well played offense and smart decisions on the break.If we up our assists (play better offense), our shots will tend follow suit and go in more often.

A low field goal % would be more indicative of poor shooting if most of our baskets were assisted and we still maintained a low FG% percentage. In other words, this would indicate we largely get good shots, but miss a high percentage. Whereas the facts are the opposite: we take, and subsequently miss, bad shots.

Magic became a 3 point shooter by working his butt off after practice. It is in his book. Thomas said in his book that he became a good shooter after he got to the NBA by shooting 100 jump shots a day. Just quoting them. And attempting to have a discussion about a topic. It's all about arguing and name calling on here now. Kind of boring, actually.

First read through the post again you're the one who became somewhat aggressive in the conversation. Two you shouldn't post an opinion if you don't want anybody to disagree with them. Third I'm sure magic didn't wait until the nba to practice shooting the ball....but yes extra practice usually leads to improvement. I don't think anybody disputed that. Fourth why don't you go look up Magic's 3 point shooting percentage from the 3 point line...and that is my entire point he's still one of the greatest basketball players ever even though he wasn't the greatest shooter, he affected the game in so many other ways....

Magic became a 3 point shooter by working his butt off after practice. It is in his book. Thomas said in his book that he became a good shooter after he got to the NBA by shooting 100 jump shots a day. Just quoting them. And attempting to have a discussion about a topic. It's all about arguing and name calling on here now. Kind of boring, actually.

First read through the post again you're the one who became somewhat aggressive in the conversation. Two you shouldn't post an opinion if you don't want anybody to disagree with them. Third I'm sure magic didn't wait until the nba to practice shooting the ball....but yes extra practice usually leads to improvement. I don't think anybody disputed that. Fourth why don't you go look up Magic's 3 point shooting percentage from the 3 point line...and that is my entire point he's still one of the greatest basketball players ever even though he wasn't the greatest shooter, he affected the game in so many other ways....

I did re- read my post. I didn't read it as aggressive. I am too old to be aggressive. But if it came off that way, I apologize. A post or two ago, an AU man made a point about assists. It made me go hmmmmm.... So I'm looking it up. I know google. I did google, and read the books. Whatever man. If you think we shoot lights out, good for you. No offense meant.WDE.

Never said we shot lights out, I said there are alot more pressing problems than shooting and that there are two sides to a coin as far as why guys can't shoot anymore...I also believe there's alot more variables involved with our shooting percentage besides the simple that guy can't shoot or kids can't shoot anymore opinion.

Then you offered up a nba legend that really wasn't a good shooter, I tried to show you that maybe you're looking at the success and winning and not the actual shooting.

Then you and 64 said something like haven't seen a good shooter since Wesley person and we have had some, not superstars or best players on the team but we had some.

Actually one I mentioned Scotty P was the exact type of player AU64 mentioned that Vandy usually have one or two of. I think if those guys played here they wouldn't be as successful right now because as the gentleman that posted the assist numbers we don't have guys to distribute the ball. A spot up shooter that can't create space won't be able to utilize his shooting ability's full potential if he's not set up properly. Also if we don't have a post player or actually ANY player to draw a double team that hurts a bit as well.

Then I was a bit confused because you asked why couldn't kids shoot anymore but then you said magic and Isaiah learned to shoot in the nba? I would think if your theory was correct then I'd think maybe they work on their weaknesses more when they become professionals.

But WDE. I don't think we shoot well, I think our perimeter guys have to create too much off the dribble. I think Harrell and Mason are pretty good shooters. I believe you put Harrell on a team where he's the second or third option and he gets open looks his 3 point percentage would increase a good bit. A good example to look at is Kentucky and how they play different once Ullis enters the game at point. A COMPLETELY different team.

WDE

FWIW, I was reading the thread and thought it was interesting and then the other guy seemed to get angry. There was nothing aggressive about your replies. I love this forum because it is a source for news of the tigers but an argument rather than a discussion always seems to be a post away. It is tiresome and always derails an interesting thread.

Quote or reference a point in this thread that I became angry? After reading through this thread again I do apologize juscAUse you didn't get aggressive I misread a post. Also I will admit if you go before players that played before the Dr J era my knowledge is limited and I admit I don't know if those guys shot better or worse. I do know the game was played differently then though. So once again I apologize for that insinuation it's not an accurate assumption.

I do know I didn't get angry so as far as that other guy....well you know. I have offered as much if not more insight on all variables that may or may not effect shooting now. Usually when a thread is really derailed it's by the guy who first makes that claim IMO. He's the only person with a post that didn't have anything to say in regards to the topic.

Once again my bad

Archived