***New Auburn Oaks Thread***

RunInRed

Unfortunately, the only thing similar between these trees and the old ones is they have oak in their name....don't even look remotely similar...there are live oaks all over the place...why did we choose these? Am I the only one disappointed in the drastic difference? I'm sure someone somewhere knows how to move a live oak...sorry to rain on anyone's parade here....but live oaks are very unique whereas these look like any random tree. Poor decision IYAM

They are going to plant offsprings of the original trees in a walkway to Samford Hall. Chin up!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, the only thing similar between these trees and the old ones is they have oak in their name....don't even look remotely similar...there are live oaks all over the place...why did we choose these? Am I the only one disappointed in the drastic difference? I'm sure someone somewhere knows how to move a live oak...sorry to rain on anyone's parade here....but live oaks are very unique whereas these look like any random tree. Poor decision IYAM

These trees are perfect. They will spread out as they mature. You didn't expect exact replicas of the old ones did you. The only way to get that would have been to move 100 year old trees. These trees will have a long life and will be appreciated by Auburn Family for years to come. Welcome Home New Auburn Oaks!!

These trees are perfect. They will spread out as they mature. You didn't expect exact replicas of the old ones did you. The only way to get that would have been to move 100 year old trees. These trees will have a long life and will be appreciated by Auburn Family for years to come. Welcome Home New Auburn Oaks!!

These trees are supposedly picked because they don't have the low hanging sprawling limbs like the old ones because they don't want people climbing the trees or for them to overhang the road anymore...doesn't sound like the old ones at all to me...guess I'll have to wait 30 years to find out either way :)

On the flip side....they are calling for 30 of the original trees decendants to be planted from Toomers to Samford Hall....I suppose when those are all planted and grown up that these two trees being different probably won't even be noticeable. In fact, with all the new trees planted it will likely look amazing....although I still wish these 2 were more like the originals..can't have everything :)

Hey, RIR - if I were to steal one of these pics and tweet it, who should I credit? Or is there a link you'd prefer I tweet out?

Really great work you're doing today. Thanks!!

How will the Auburn people guard these Oaks from being killed by H D or another Bammer slame ball.

Lots of webcams. There no is way to stop a determined nut.

Loved the time lapse. It looks like a bunch of minions running around. lol I am sure these trees will have thicker foliage in the spring and will spread out with all the room they have. They are not the same, but they aren't bad. Hopefully, they will thrive and keep the tradition going for my grandkids and their grandkids.

Someone said it earlier... and I'll say it again, GOOD triumphs over Evil! What the idiot bammer, didn't know was that the old oaks were getting really bad and would've needed replacing soon anyway. The new oaks look great. Not disappointed at all! War Eagle!

Awesome video & pics! 2 trees? I had heard something about there being a row of several trees planted somewhere..

Several 15ft trees grown from acorns from the original oaks.

30 trees in all...supposed to be planted along the walkway from Toomers to Samford Hall...now that is going to be beautiful!

Awesome video & pics! 2 trees? I had heard something about there being a row of several trees planted somewhere..

Several 15ft trees grown from acorns from the original oaks.

30 trees in all...supposed to be planted along the walkway from Toomers to Samford Hall...now that is going to be beautiful!

Ohhh nice. thank you both for letting me know, that is amazing!

Archived