***New Auburn Oaks Thread***

RunInRed

Talked to the guys this AM ...

• Magnolia still has green cambium on the branches (a plus), but is just not pushing the buds.
  • The back-up at Facilities is leafing out well. These are not clones so leafing out at various times is common due to genetic variability.
  • The arborist who worked with the nursery and the University will be in town this week to review. Stay tuned ...

Stealthy

CCo3x4YUMAAOa6i.png

The cambium being green is a very good sign. May just be a case of this particular tree taking a little longer to recover from the transplant shock/root trimming, etc.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought they had a back up on hand just in case? can anyone confirm this?

I also recall hearing that, but never heard anything about what happened to the 3rd tree. Did they plant it somewhere else?

There is one planted in Auburn in case of situations similar to this.

This happens sometimes. If it doesn't make it, then thus fall when they go dormant they could remove the one and replace them it

• 2 weeks later...

Well, things were looking good up to today.

There is high concern that the Magnolia oak has had a serious setback since Friday.

Not looking good and no real natural reason since all three were dug from the same nursery.

On the bright side if any is the replacement is looking great at facilities. Time is the issue now. Be quick or wait until dormancy which is probably not an option.

There is high concern that the Magnolia oak has had a serious setback since Friday.

Not looking good and no real natural reason since all three were dug from the same nursery.

On the bright side if any is the replacement is looking great at facilities. Time is the issue now. Be quick or wait until dormancy which is probably not an option.

Possibility of replacing the Magnolia Oak very soon?

I'm checking . . .

I'm checking . . .

Thanks for posting. As of last week things looked ok with the tree but I can confirm that the replacement at facilities might have to used. The tree does look really good.

@AU_Facilities: .@AUFAMILY We monitor the Mag Ave Oak daily. Growth is slow, but we are hopeful. No plans to replace the tree at this time.

Patience is a virtue but it's not always easy. Life finds a way. I'm hoping that this tree starts putting out massive quantities of green growth as the weather warms, the days get longer and it gets past the shock of transplanting.

CD2fA1NWEAA_7P0.jpg

Don't worry about the bare Auburn Oak, yet, horticulturist says

While Auburn University officially celebrated the Auburn Oaks at their new home at Toomer's Corner on Saturday, a visible difference in the foliage and general appearance between the two live oaks had many in the crowd worried about the Magnolia Avenue tree.

Though the tree planted along Magnolia Avenue may not look to be as in good of health as the oak near College Street, Auburn University Professor of Horticulture Gary Keever said this isn't a cause of concern just yet. The tree is simply showing more signs of transplant shock, which refers to the stress-related conditions that can result from moving trees, than its sibling.

The 35-foot-tall live oaks were initially dug up and pruned at a nursery in South Carolina in December so they could be placed in burlap-wrapped baskets surrounded by 8 inches of soil in order to prepare for the moving process. During this process, nearly 90 percent of the trees' roots are left in the ground, which can be very stressful for the oaks.

While the College Street tree recovered quickly from the process and already had put on 12 inches of root growth by the time it was planted at Toomer's Corner in February, the Magnolia Avenue tree showed a slower recovery from the transplant process in the two months.

"The College Street tree had roots all the way out of the ball," said Keever. "We didn't see that kind of root growth at the tree along Magnolia Avenue. Even though both trees lost a lot of their roots when they were dug, the College Street tree just isn't showing the same stress as the Magnolia Avenue tree is. At the time, it wasn't anything to be concerned about."

Now that it's late into April, the difference between the state of the two trees is more obvious to fans since the College Street tree has already developed green leaves while the Magnolia Avenue tree remains mostly bare. However, Keever said there are signs under the surface that the tree is improving.

"The College Street tree leafed out quickly," said Keever. "It looks very good. The Magnolia Avenue tree has buds that are swelling. There are other parts of the canopy where the buds have no enlarged yet. There is still some of last year's foliage on the tree, which is green. That's a good sign. The tissue that I sampled indicates that it's still alive."

Keever said the lack of leaves on the Magnolia Avenue oak doesn't mean that the tree is dying. It just means the tree is on a different timeline because of how its roots handled the pruning process, and there's no real way of knowing exactly when the tree will leaf out.

"It really depends on how quickly the tree can regenerate new roots," said Keever. "The trees are going to grow out at their own schedule as they regenerate roots. It could be two weeks, four weeks or it could be longer."

For now, the university will be keeping a close eye on the tree and doing everything possible to ensure it heals properly from the moving process.

"It's related to the loss of the root system," said Keever. "It's just one of the symptoms that we expected, and it's not a reason to be overly concerned

at this point. So yes, the tree is experiencing some stress, but we're doing doing everything we can to alleviate it."

http://www.al.com/news/montgomery/index.ssf/2015/04/auburn_oaks.html

"If" they had to replace the tree it wouldn't happen until late fall. Still time.

"If" they had to replace the tree it wouldn't happen until late fall. Still time.

Agreed. When plants 'flush' (top growth), it's normally at the expense of the root system development plus depleting energy reserves. The back-up tree is as leafed out as the College tree. Moving in this state for a first time (just dug) is questionable. Moving the tree a second time now would add undue stresses.

Hopefully the Magnolia tree catches up, but it was noticeably off from the prior week this past Monday. TLC all summer for all the trees.

• 2 weeks later...

5/13/15 Update ...

"We just haven't seen bud break," Thoms said. "When I say bud break, (I mean) the actual leaves coming out on the Magnolia tree. Honestly, I would have expected to see that by the middle of April, towards the end of April sometime. But it's not unusual for live oaks to delay and not come out for a while."

"The buds continued to swell, looking good, and still looks good in the sense that it hasn't changed, it hasn't gone downhill. But we haven't seen any progress in the last going on almost two weeks now."

"This tree very likely lacks the root system to provide enough water to sustain bud break and new leaf growth."

Thoms said he briefly broached that subject last week with project head Ben Burmester, a campus planner at the university. "He said, 'Hey, should we think about the Facilities tree right now,' and I said, 'No, let's keep working with this.'" Thoms said. "We've got one in place that shows signs of being fine, other than it hasn't leafed out. If we can get it to leaf out, I think we're better off.

"Our discussion was we'll look about another month or so, so that would put us towards the first of June where we would probably be needing to make a decision — not that we would act right away, but we'd need to make a decision as to what we're going to do as far as whether to pull the plug on the existing tree if it doesn't show any signs of moving along, or give it another month."

Keever said he thinks the College Street oak would be fine to roll in the fall of 2016, but that "there's no way" the Magnolia Avenue oak will be ready by then, even if it breaks bud now.

– Tim Thoms, owner of Thoms Trees and Plants of Atlanta and the subcontractor hired to locate and install the oaks

http://www.auburnvil...e1a9d3fd26.html

• 3 weeks later...
He said the inclination is to keep that tree at its current location and only use it in case of something catastrophic happening to the current oaks, like a lightening strike.
Or another updyke attack. :angry:

Where is the tree killer living today?

Hopefully under a bridge.

In the desert......

Archived