Dontavious Russell and Andrew Williams

ClaytonAU

Just saw her news interview and I'm wondering how did she know they were football players...unless they were wearing their jerseys. These two players are not exactly well known and recognized players. If they did do what she stated then I hope they are punished by the coaches but from her interview it seems like there was a little over reaction on her part and maybe when she got snappy the players didn't handle the situation correctly afterwards. Now she's in fear b/c of being called a B? C'mon. I think there is a bit of exaggeration on her part but hopefully more information that are actual facts come out.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw her news interview and I'm wondering how did she know they were football players...unless they were wearing their jerseys. These two players are not exactly well known and recognized players. If they did do what she stated then I hope they are punished by the coaches but from her interview it seems like there was a little over reaction on her part and maybe when she got snappy the players didn't handle the situation correctly afterwards. Now she's in fear b/c of being called a B? C'mon. I think there is a bit of exaggeration on her part but hopefully more information that are actual facts come out.

They had on their football sweats with their number on them.

Friend of mine sent me a picture of crystal stoddard's Facebook. In the picture was a post of her's dated April 19, 2014. It said, "check your facts before you jump down someones throat and remember to not bite the hand that feeds you!!"

I had to see if this was real so I looked and it indeed is. I also saw she has deleted everything regarding this situation. I think we can all say the case is now closed and all parties can move on with lessons learned and nothing need more be done.

I blame the dog. If it hadn't looked so doggone cute and lovable none of this would have happened.

:-)

Fair point, and frankly a part of this story that has been underscuitenized. I for one, believe that the service dog industry should limit itself to using only the most physically repulsive breeds as to minimize any temptation or confusion with regard to the dogs' role in society.

Hah. Ugly dogs are even more attractive to dog lovers.

The girl is reported as having been sexually assaulted. It obviously took a toll on her. Perhaps the players had characteristics of her assailants and the B word was prominently used during the assault. There is your trigger that brings on the fear.

Triggers can be very simple. I had a couple neighbors once, one served in Vietnam and the other in Korea. Guy from Korea had a Korean wife. Apparently the smells of the Korean food being cooked outdoors was close enough to Vietnamese that it would set off the Vietnam vet into full flashbacks.

They had on their football sweats with their number on them.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

The girl is reported as having been sexually assaulted. It obviously took a toll on her. Perhaps the players had characteristics of her assailants and the B word was prominently used during the assault. There is your trigger that brings on the fear.

Triggers can be very simple. I had a couple neighbors once, one served in Vietnam and the other in Korea. Guy from Korea had a Korean wife. Apparently the smells of the Korean food being cooked outdoors was close enough to Vietnamese that it would set off the Vietnam vet into full flashbacks.

I can certainly understand all of that and by no means trying to minimize what she has gone through. It just all seems to have been taken to an extreme level. I can believe they called her a B. As some stated earlier in this post I don't think either parties involved is without blame in the situation. All this media attention is not called for IMO. Let the players apologize and serve whatever punishment Gus sees fit and move on.

I can certainly understand all of that and by no means trying to minimize what she has gone through. It just all seems to have been taken to an extreme level. I can believe they called her a B. As some stated earlier in this post I don't think either parties involved is without blame in the situation. All this media attention is not called for IMO. Let the players apologize and serve whatever punishment Gus sees fit and move on.

She should have taken the issue to Office of Accessibility and let them handle the entire manner. I completely agree with that.

The woman is a veteran with PTSD who never saw active service. The world is coming apart at the seams.

The woman is a veteran with PTSD who never saw active service. The world is coming apart at the seams.

You do know that PTSD can stem from any number of things--not just from being in the service and seeing combat--right?

Her PTSD comes from being sexually assaulted.

You do know that PTSD can stem from any number of things--not just from being in the service and seeing combat--right?

It doesn't actually. Per her own account, it comes from repeated "sexual harassment" stemming from bullying she received while in service due to marrying a Muslim. Still a bad deal, but sexual harassment and sexual assault are pretty different things on the extremity scale.

It doesn't actually. Per her own account, it comes from repeated "sexual harassment" stemming from bullying she received while in service due to marrying a Muslim. Still a bad deal, but sexual harassment and sexual assault are pretty different things on the extremity scale.

I've seen reports of both harassment and assault. Regardless, my point was that you don't have to see combat to develop PTSD.

I've seen reports of both harassment and assault. Regardless, my point was that you don't have to see combat to develop PTSD.

I understand your point, SMB. The argument is this- when the sister throws around the word veteran to defend her sister, she's implying active duty bravery and valor, which is what most people think of when veteran is used. In this case it's being used to mislead.

I understand your point, SMB. The argument is this- when the sister throws around the word veteran to defend her sister, she's implying active duty bravery and valor, which is what most people think of when veteran is used. In this case it's being used to mislead.

i don't know the technical definition of " veteran" but it seems to be misleading to me too. the way it is being used..

My post wasn't really referring this woman in particular, just PTSD in general.

I also don't agree with how the word "veteran" is being thrown around to infer that she was out on the battlefield risking her life for the country. It's careless and misleading like the poster said above.

http://www.nevertoyieldfoundation.com/2015/dog-days-the-nuclear-option/

Veteran accuses two Auburn football players of harassment.

Gus Malzahn apologizes to female veteran after alleged verbal harassment from Auburn players

Those were the headlines at the forefront of al.com on Wednesday and on the front page of YahooSports.com on Thursday.

Two Auburn players harassed a veteran and her dog. That’s all most people who’ve heard about the story will ever know. Two Auburn players verbally assaulted an Amerian hero and her loyal canine companion.

No matter what really transpired, that’s the brush with which the two Auburn players (and by association the entire Auburn football program) will be painted.

Agree.

If your agenda is to have your grievance heard by the University there is a way to do that. If however, your agenda is to exploit this by turning it into a national event, then you and your agents will immediately go on twitter, contact the media and make sure your narrative is the one getting all the publicity. I have heard a lot about PTSD in this, also implications in the media that she was a combat veteran and on and on. But with little effort the truth can be found.

In her specific case, she received a 30% disability for an "adjustment disorder w/ mixed anxiety and depression." She received a 40% disability for other physical disorders that included cysts, lumbar strain, scoliosis and bilateral plantar fasciitis, some of which were obviously pre-enlistment (scoliosis). The complete breakdown of her disability is a follows:

"DOD: 10% Pilonidal cyst w/ painful scarring

VA: 10% Pilonidal cyst w/ painful scarring

10% Bilateral Plantar Fasciitis

10% Lumbar strain and scoliosis

30% Adjustment disorder w/ mixed anxiety and depression"

The source of this info ? Her own words: http://www.pebforum....timeline.16675/

She is a veteran. All her duty stations were stateside. She is not a combat veteran. She applied for disability for several reasons. She did this while still in tech school. I think it is important to deal with facts in this case, instead of a narrative.

As is the case with the poster above, #1AUFAN, I am also a Vietnam veteran.

And the problem with this is that doing that is acceptable in 99.9% of the cases in our society. We make the same assumptions about a guy wearing a uniform, and they are treated as one, even if the only thing he has done is sit in Nebraska pushing papers and never stepped foot outside of that office.

I have a cousin that is a Marine officer, she is in charge of repair and maintenance crews. Has been to Iraq/Afghanistan three times. By some peoples definitions in here she doesn't deserve to be called a veteran cause she has not been placed in a combat zone and spent her time in the rear.

So if a person suffers sexual assault that results in trauma on the job by her fellow soldiers then that doesn't count. (I'm betting that is what happened).

So does that mean if a person is doing a training exercise from a helicopter, falls and breaks their back and leaves the military, that they don't count. Just a physically inapt idiot that was unable to perform a task properly despite being instructed on how to do so.

Then lets be truthful. If she was hit by a drunk driver lets say then noone would be attacking her status as a veteran. The stories would read disabled veteran injured by drunk driver and everyone here would be bashing the driver of the car. Or if she was robbed at gun point or plenty of other scenarios.

I will agree her sister tossed it around, but again right now in our society that is accepted and ok and is abused. Except for in this one instance because it is going against something people strongly care for and believe in.

Any person who serves as a member of the military, in any capacity, and is not dishonably discharged, is by definition a veteran. Look it up. She is a veteran.

Some people do not know that it is wrong to try to interact with a service animal. Most people who use a service animal know how to politely ask others who are trying to interact with the animal to stop.

There is no excuse for any male to call a woman a b*tch in public, even if she gets angry and flips out. And as representatives of the university and role models for campus men, that doubly applies to male athletes. They should never be derogatory to anyone in public. Period.

That said, CGM should IMO enroll the two players in a sensitivity course and do some community service for disabled veterans. They should not be dismissed from the team. They need to learn how to behave like a gentleman, even when (and especially when) the pressure is on. It's called growing up. (Some people never get there, but that's one of the things college athletics should instill. It is part of becoming an Auburn man.)

Paaaawwwwl is actually a pretty smart cookie. He doesn't want to be in the middle of this taking her side if this comes back to bite her publicly. Taking the side against a "disabled vet" is social suicide - no matter how wrong they may be. I am willing to bet this is why AU has made no other comments. Bet they wish Gus had not apologized. Looking back, that was a mistake. It has been used as AU having admitted guilt.

Any person who serves as a member of the military, in any capacity, and is not dishonably discharged, is by definition a veteran. Look it up. She is a veteran.

Some people do not know that it is wrong to try to interact with a service animal. Most people who use a service animal know how to politely ask others who are trying to interact with the animal to stop.

There is no excuse for any male to call a woman a b*tch in public, even if she gets angry and flips out. And as representatives of the university and role models for campus men, that doubly applies to male athletes. They should never be derogatory to anyone in public. Period.

That said, CGM should IMO enroll the two players in a sensitivity course and do some community service for disabled veterans. They should not be dismissed from the team. They need to learn how to behave like a gentleman, even when (and especially when) the pressure is on. It's called growing up. (Some people never get there, but that's one of the things college athletics should instill. It is part of becoming an Auburn man.)

i respectfully disagree. I agree they should not call a woman a b.... I would excuse this without punishment. if they felt unjustly attacked they responded like most human beings would. An apology should suffice. After the exaggerations of harassment and bullying they deserve the apology.

http://www.nevertoyi...nuclear-option/

Veteran accuses two Auburn football players of harassment.

Gus Malzahn apologizes to female veteran after alleged verbal harassment from Auburn players

Those were the headlines at the forefront of al.com on Wednesday and on the front page of YahooSports.com on Thursday.

Two Auburn players harassed a veteran and her dog. That’s all most people who’ve heard about the story will ever know. Two Auburn players verbally assaulted an Amerian hero and her loyal canine companion.

No matter what really transpired, that’s the brush with which the two Auburn players (and by association the entire Auburn football program) will be painted.

Im sure when the smoke clears all of these organizations will issue some sort of very public retraction or apology to both the players and the university. After all, that is what responsible, ethical journalists would do. Im just glad that the media will surely learn a lesson from all this and stop rushing to print sensational, misleading swill without waiting for any facts to come out

Archived