Dontavious Russell and Andrew Williams

ClaytonAU

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But now go read the crap on yahoo sports. She is a "disabled veteran" and was "verbally assaulted". Now they are trying to make it sound like they turned over some guys wheelchair who got his legs blown off in the war. Good lord.

The media got it wrong from the start. That is there mode of operations over the last two decades.

Well that happens when you run with only one side of a story instead of waiting to get the full picture. We had her sister blasting out to any and everyone a highly slanted version of events, demanding that it get spread far and wide and the stations and papers just bit on it.

So Gus is out apologizing for no reason ...just to make himself and AU look good? That's good to know. I was afraid there was something to this.

The media isn't telling the entire truth about Gus and an apology. It's a misunderstanding that will involve an apology but everyone will have to adapt some thick skin until that time comes. Just be patient with this.

About 6 months ago, I was in Asheville at a Super Walmart shopping with my wife. I cannot drive in that I am disabled....yes I am a disabled person that suffers from a host of bad health issues. Back to my story. There was a man who was probably in his early 30s that had a beautiful Australian Shepard that served as his service dog. I love dogs and animals in general, and have never had a bad encounter with any animal. I went to let the dog sniff at my left hand that was in the correct position to show the dog that I was friendly. The man who owned the dog abruptly told me NOT TOUCH HIS DOG!

This totally caught me off guard. I immediately apologized to the owner who seemed like he was going to jump me any second. I slowly backed away and told him that I was sorry and only wanted to be friendly with his dog. He glared at me as I slowly walked off.

I could see how the 2 football players felt with the dog owner freaking out as she did. I want the truth as all of you who love Auburn. Who knows...maybe she is related to Updyke....just kidding of course. I am a former veteran and know a lot about PTSD and know that some folks use this to get the disability status. When folks do this to get disability status, it angers me as well as other folks who have a legitimate disability. I am in no way saying she is not disabled, and hope she can get her life back to normal as possible.

This is a pretty good example of what happened Tuesday. Educating the public will be a step forward in helping others understand the relationship between the dog and its handler.

Wonder if this is a sign of a resolution, but i just went to yahoo and there were 110 articles highlighted and not a single one was related to this story. Perhaps they've been forced to take it down? one can only hope...

Often it is hard for me to watch the news without getting thoroughly ticked off. The first thing out of most news reporter is negative to the core. I am glad Brian Williams is no longer on nightly news. I am sure he is a good man, but it seems like he tries his dead level best to make the news as negative as possible.

I would love it if the national news came on one evening, and the news caster would have a big smile on his face, and say; "My good folks, there is absolutely nothing negative tonight to report to you. It has been a good day, and I have enjoyed it very much. God Bless to all and tune in tomorrow."

Wonder if this is a sign of a resolution, but i just went to yahoo and there were 110 articles highlighted and not a single one was related to this story. Perhaps they've been forced to take it down? one can only hope...

Let's hope. The espn comments are Rediculous. We always get hammered

People need to stop being sensitive. They did a stupid thing and the girl overeacted due to her condition. Any other day it may have went different. Everyone has apologized. What the hell else do they want?? I have tried to pet service dogs before. The lady told me to atop. I didn't know it was a service dog. They probibly didn't know either..

People need to stop being sensitive. They did a stupid thing and the girl overeacted due to her condition. Any other day it may have went different. Everyone has apologized. What the hell else do they want?? I have tried to pet service dogs before. The lady told me to atop. I didn't know it was a service dog. They probibly didn't know either..

So you haven't actually read this thread :/

The really sad thing is that the girl and the players are all getting attacked because of this situation, when the real villains in the story are the sister, the dog meme Facebook page owner, and the sports media.

It became obvious there were agendas in play when the aforementioned list began dragging AU and Gus into their comments, as if they were the root cause of what happened.

Honestly, I'd love to see Auburn make an example of the people who are blowing this out of proportion, so that maybe people will think twice, in the future, about misusing the internet.

As an Auburn student, this wouldn't surprise me. We may not have all the details, but I've seen many a football player with a "larger-than-life" attitude on campus. It gets old very fast.

As an Auburn student, this wouldn't surprise me. We may not have all the details, but I've seen many a football player with a "larger-than-life" attitude on campus. It gets old very fast.

I was on campus from 2009-2013. I saw the 2010 season, and the 2012 season as a student. I never once saw on campus, a football player use his position to put down or look down at or mistreat anyone, regardless of status. Yes, I did see them gloat and enjoy the admiration they get, and yes some of it was obnoxious, but I reiterate that I never once observed a football player using his status to put down others.

It didn't happen that way in this instance. We've all seen larger than life people out there and not all of them play sports.

Honestly, I'd love to see Auburn make an example of the people who are blowing this out of proportion, so that maybe people will think twice, in the future, about misusing the internet.

What can Auburn do? Nothing! We went through this with the Cam Newton liars. There is no recourse in cases such as this. I have forgotten the legal references since then but there is simply nothing that can be done within the law.

Read a bit of the thread before posting. It's been made clear by someone in the know (autigeremt) that this is not the case.

I blame the dog. If it hadn't looked so doggone cute and lovable none of this would have happened.

:-)

Fair point, and frankly a part of this story that has been underscuitenized. I for one, believe that the service dog industry should limit itself to using only the most physically repulsive breeds as to minimize any temptation or confusion with regard to the dogs' role in society.

What can Auburn do? Nothing! We went through this with the Cam Newton liars. There is no recourse in cases such as this. I have forgotten the legal references since then but there is simply nothing that can be done within the law.

This is actually quite a bit different than the Cam situation. With Cam there was a cobination of speculation and twisting facts. In this case there have been several cases of slander. Part of that comes from the media, when they say the players were harassing the girl. That would be the hardest to get a ruling on,depending on the judge, but the the publications are knowingly sensationalizing, since it goes beyond the actual words of the accuser, and there is precident for them being taken to task for such things when it causes harm to someone's reputation.

The more easily dealt with situation is the sister and the dog meme blog person who drug the Auburn football program and Gus's name into it. They knows Auburn and Gus had nothing to do with it, but still cose to vilify them. That is classic slander, especially considering that, in the eyes of the law, writing something on the internet is the same as publishing it in a newspaper.

I'm sure they won't go after either of them, but I wish they would, because I'm sick of people thinking freedom of speech means that you can lie to your hearts content, no matter who it hurts, if it will further your agenda.

Boy, isn't that the truth! Anyone can say whatever they want about you and apparently, the means the press as well! As the wife of a former public servant, I've dealt with this up close and personal. Unfortunately, if you are a public figure, there's not a lot you can legally do about people lying. I don't know if Gus would be considered as a public figure or not. But the sister surely slandered his character.

Boy, isn't that the truth! Anyone can say whatever they want about you and apparently, the means the press as well! As the wife of a former public servant, I've dealt with this up close and personal. Unfortunately, if you are a public figure, there's not a lot you can legally do about people lying. I don't know if Gus would be considered as a public figure or not. But the sister surely slandered his character.

There are actually quite a few examples of public figures who have won lawsuits by proving that someone published a known untruth that defamed them. The key is to prove that they knew it wasn't true. Most reporters hide behind "sources" to claim ignorance.

I blame the dog. If it hadn't looked so doggone cute and lovable none of this would have happened.

:-)

Fair point, and frankly a part of this story that has been underscuitenized. I for one, believe that the service dog industry should limit itself to using only the most physically repulsive breeds as to minimize any temptation or confusion with regard to the dogs' role in society.

but with so few dogs in the Uga line people would end up under served

Archived