Dontavious Russell and Andrew Williams

ClaytonAU

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see those that rushed to spread questionable information rushing back to admit they said things not true and say they are sorry.

Based on previous bouts with the media, this should come as a surprise to no one.

There's a lot of dishonesty with the reporting of this case.

There's a lot of dishonesty with the reporting of this case.

As is the case with anything that ever happens in AU...and as often is the case it involves an updyke (the sister). She could easily be sued for slander as she knew she was lying and did so with the intention to harm.

Any person who serves as a member of the military, in any capacity, and is not dishonably discharged, is by definition a veteran. Look it up. She is a veteran.

Some people do not know that it is wrong to try to interact with a service animal. Most people who use a service animal know how to politely ask others who are trying to interact with the animal to stop.

There is no excuse for any male to call a woman a b*tch in public, even if she gets angry and flips out. And as representatives of the university and role models for campus men, that doubly applies to male athletes. They should never be derogatory to anyone in public. Period.

That said, CGM should IMO enroll the two players in a sensitivity course and do some community service for disabled veterans. They should not be dismissed from the team. They need to learn how to behave like a gentleman, even when (and especially when) the pressure is on. It's called growing up. (Some people never get there, but that's one of the things college athletics should instill. It is part of becoming an Auburn man.)

They didn't call her a bitch, and these two have conducted themselves very well considering what they have been accused of. Only one side of this case has been heard because quite frankly, no one will listen to the players after allegations like this. Way to many people want to crucify them without allowing them due process. We have eyewitness accounts of the incident but the university is trying to be as respectful to the student veteran and allow a resolution that is acceptable for all involved. One of the players said nothing to her at all. This is a full blown misunderstanding that has a lot of people siding with her no matter what.

Found this interesting: http://www.pebforum....ust-mebd.15170/

posted in 2012, I saw another veteran point out one of her statements that was troubling: "Anyways my questions are has anyone ever heard of this problem before? Know anything about a possible DOD rating for this? I have about 6 other problems listed for the VA rating and I have a pretty good idea on what I will get for them."

She didn't make it out of tech school, never deployed, never served out her contract, and is now drawing 70% pay as "disabled"

Coming from a Veteran: "She's apparently on disability for cysts, plantar fasciitis and adjustment disorder.

"And apparently her "harassment" in the military was not rape. It was because she "married a Turkish Muslim."

He also states, and he's not the first one I've heard state this, is that through her post history on those forums (she was in the Air Force under 2 years) "it is evident that she had only one agenda, and that was to get the highest disability rating she could get for the rest of her life." It would make sense, with the way her sister has been fueling it etc, that this happens and she gets bumped to 100% disability pay. I mean the sister is asking for shoutouts from celebrities, toby keith, etc. I think its obvious why this isn't being run any more than it was because too many witnesses have refuted the story when questioned, and as autigeremt said the University is trying to be respectful about the entire thing and have an acceptable resolution.

I've more or less kept up with this, but I am a little confused. Did the original account about the players cursing, then threatening her come directly from the "vet" or her sister? And was her sister even there?

But now go read the crap on yahoo sports. She is a "disabled veteran" and was "verbally assaulted". Now they are trying to make it sound like they turned over some guys wheelchair who got his legs blown off in the war. Good lord.

The media got it wrong from the start. That is there mode of operations over the last two decades.

Well that happens when you run with only one side of a story instead of waiting to get the full picture. We had her sister blasting out to any and everyone a highly slanted version of events, demanding that it get spread far and wide and the stations and papers just bit on it.

So Gus is out apologizing for no reason ...just to make himself and AU look good? That's good to know. I was afraid there was something to this.

The media isn't telling the entire truth about Gus and an apology. It's a misunderstanding that will involve an apology but everyone will have to adapt some thick skin until that time comes. Just be patient with this.

Any time table as to when "that time comes"?

wde

I've more or less kept up with this, but I am a little confused. Did the original account about the players cursing, then threatening her come directly from the "vet" or her sister? And was her sister even there?

Came from her and her sister and no, her sister wasn't there. They are both liable for slander as they both intentionally spread lies should AU pursue....which I doubt they will

Came from her and her sister and no, her sister wasn't there. They are both liable for slander as they both intentionally spread lies should AU pursue....which I doubt they will

I wish they would pursue, but you're right, they won't. Because they carry certain "titles" they'll get a pass even for doing something wrong because society is so over sensitive these days.

I think the blowback from trying to sue a student for slander or libel over THIS would be far worse than the allegations already presented.

May be right...but you wouldn't sue the student...you would be suing the updyke sister

I think the blowback from trying to sue a student for slander or libel over THIS would be far worse than the allegations already presented.

May be right...but you wouldn't sue the student...you would be suing the updyke sister

True. I still think pursuing legal action over something as small as this would be a waste of time and resources.

True. I still think pursuing legal action over something as small as this would be a waste of time and resources.

Correct. As well as a PR risk. (You just can't control how the media will handle anything)

But, I wouldn't be above issuing a detailed press release detailing the real facts. But that will not likely happen either, if this continues to burn out.

No matter what happens from here on out, barring the woman and her sister going to the top of a mountain and yelling their lungs out that they lied, Auburn has lost. There is nothing we can do other than hope that there is no permanent damage from this incident. Legal action will just be us bullying her even more into silence, making public statements will just be us covering up and hiding the truth to save our athletes who we care about more than a poor disabled veteran. All we can do is keep our mouths shut, and not make anything worse.

No matter what happens from here on out, barring the woman and her sister going to the top of a mountain and yelling their lungs out that they lied, Auburn has lost. There is nothing we can do other than hope that there is no permanent damage from this incident. Legal action will just be us bullying her even more into silence, making public statements will just be us covering up and hiding the truth to save our athletes who we axee about more than a poor disabled veteran. All we can do is keep our mouths shut, and not make anything worse.

It's sad but you are dead on here. Bad Pub will continue until something happens at on of our rivals UAT, UGA, UF, LSU, or someone else that takes attention away from us for a while.

No matter what happens from here on out, barring the woman and her sister going to the top of a mountain and yelling their lungs out that they lied, Auburn has lost. There is nothing we can do other than hope that there is no permanent damage from this incident. Legal action will just be us bullying her even more into silence, making public statements will just be us covering up and hiding the truth to save our athletes who we care about more than a poor disabled veteran. All we can do is keep our mouths shut, and not make anything worse.

Yes. It's kinda like the old attorney question "have you stopped beating your wife?" There is no good answer. Maybe that is why Gus and the players just apologized and shut up. This whole thing just pisses me off to no end but I guess putting out the other side of the story would just allow the sensationalizing sister and so called "journalists" another round of stirring the pot in the press. There is an old saying that the more you stir sh** the worse it smells. I just hate if those guys did no more than what the other witness said and the woman and her sister are lying that they can't come out and defend themselves.

Yes. It's kinda like the old attorney question "have you stopped beating your wife?" There is no good answer. Maybe that is why Gus and the players just apologized and shut up. This whole thing just pisses me off to no end but I guess putting out the other side of the story would just allow the sensationalizing sister and so called "journalists" another round of stirring the pot in the press. There is an old saying that the more you stir sh** the worse it smells. I just hate if those guys did no more than what the other witness said and the woman and her sister are lying that they can't come out and defend themselves.

This is what ticks me off too, DR and AW being ridiculed, and not being able to say a word in defense about it.

If your agenda is to have your grievance heard by the University there is a way to do that. If however, your agenda is to exploit this by turning it into a national event then you and your agents will immediately go on twitter, contact the media and make sure your narrative is the one getting all the publicity. I have heard a lot about PTSD, implications in the media that she was a combat veteran and on and on. But with little effort the truth can be found.

In her specific case, she received a 30% disability for an "adjustment disorder w/ mixed anxiety and depression." She received a 40% disability for other disorders that included cysts, lumbar strain, scoliosis and bilateral plantar fasciitis. The complete breakdown of her disability is a follows:

"DOD: 10% Pilonidal cyst w/ painful scarring

VA: 10% Pilonidal cyst w/ painful scarring

10% Bilateral Plantar Fasciitis

10% Lumbar strain and scoliosis

30% Adjustment disorder w/ mixed anxiety and depression"

The source of this info ? Her own words: http://www.pebforum....timeline.16675/

She is a veteran. All her duty stations were stateside. She is not a combat veteran. She applied for disability for several reasons. She did this while still in tech school. I think it is important to deal with facts in this case, instead of a narrative.

As is the case with the poster above, #1AUFAN, I am also a Vietnam veteran.

Just read the same thing on ESPN.com. I'd hate to think we are dealing with a professional victim. That would suck.

"Cooper Byrd" wrote on the ESPN site that the 30% anxiety she was claiming was that she was married to a Turkish Muslim. I'm not quite sure I understand that. My assumption is that "marrying a Turkish Muslim would cause anxiety to an enlisted person because it is a minority culture and radical Islamists are the enemy in the global war on terror." ...? I just viewed Atilla Ozyurt's profile on Facebook. Two things became apparent to me: 1) that he looks like a chill guy from Alabama who couldn't possibly cause anxiety to his spouse, or to the guy behind him in line at Starbucks. and 2) I think this ordeal is much less of an issue to him than it is to us.

More importantly I am concerned about the whole service dog thing.

It has recently been explained to me that there is currently a lot of abuse of service animal rules/laws. Whether it's someone who doesn't need one but gets one or someone who doesn't actually have a trained service dog, but has bought bogus credentials...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/fake-service-dog-certificates_n_3709720.html

http://www.petsadviser.com/service-animal/service-dog-fraud/

I have a golden retriever from a service dog breeder. I know that breeder is upset; and I understand the whole legitimate service dog community is up in arms about the issue.

About a month ago, I sat on a cross country flight next to a veteran who had PTSD from firefights in both Iraq and Afghanistan, but would not admit it. That guy needed a companion animal. Not as much as a blind person, but I wouldn't deny him the benefit.

But everything in moderation. We start giving people service dogs for anxiety not related to combat, we are on a slippery slope.

Our lawmakers are going to need to take a long hard look at the VA/ADA laws currently on the books. If Ashley Ozyurt can claim 70% military disability before finishing tech school, there appears to be a loophole that someone could drive a truck through. Perhaps a more reliable physical evaluation for enlistees... I dunno.

Be advised that more stories could be coming out soon. Know that the players involved did nothing malicious or had any ill intent. In fact D. Russell said nothing at all.

Be advised that more stories could be coming out soon. Know that the players involved did noting malicious or had any ill intent. In fact D. Russell said nothing at all.

OK, when will AU clear this up in the media that demonstrates that our players did nothing wrong and this was a money grabbing ploy by the victim?

wde

Archived