Dontavious Russell and Andrew Williams

ClaytonAU

Be advised that more stories could be coming out soon. Know that the players involved did noting malicious or had any ill intent. In fact D. Russell said nothing at all.

what do you mean by more stories? Are the stories going to malicious in nature towards or about our players and program, or are they going to exonerate them?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be advised that more stories could be coming out soon. Know that the players involved did noting malicious or had any ill intent. In fact D. Russell said nothing at all.

what do you mean by more stories? Are the stories going to malicious in nature towards or about our players and program, or are they going to exonerate them?

I'm curious too. There can't be any more to this particular story that hasn't been mentioned, right?

I know you can't say much, but that's awful cryptic.

If your agenda is to have your grievance heard by the University there is a way to do that. If however, your agenda is to exploit this by turning it into a national event then you and your agents will immediately go on twitter, contact the media and make sure your narrative is the one getting all the publicity. I have heard a lot about PTSD, implications in the media that she was a combat veteran and on and on. But with little effort the truth can be found.

In her specific case, she received a 30% disability for an "adjustment disorder w/ mixed anxiety and depression." She received a 40% disability for other disorders that included cysts, lumbar strain, scoliosis and bilateral plantar fasciitis. The complete breakdown of her disability is a follows:

"DOD: 10% Pilonidal cyst w/ painful scarring

VA: 10% Pilonidal cyst w/ painful scarring

10% Bilateral Plantar Fasciitis

10% Lumbar strain and scoliosis

30% Adjustment disorder w/ mixed anxiety and depression"

The source of this info ? Her own words: http://www.pebforum....timeline.16675/

She is a veteran. All her duty stations were stateside. She is not a combat veteran. She applied for disability for several reasons. She did this while still in tech school. I think it is important to deal with facts in this case, instead of a narrative.

As is the case with the poster above, #1AUFAN, I am also a Vietnam veteran.

Just read the same thing on ESPN.com. I'd hate to think we are dealing with a professional victim. That would suck.

"Cooper Byrd" wrote on the ESPN site that the 30% anxiety she was claiming was that she was married to a Turkish Muslim. I'm not quite sure I understand that. My assumption is that "marrying a Turkish Muslim would cause anxiety to an enlisted person because it is a minority culture and radical Islamists are the enemy in the global war on terror." ...? I just viewed Atilla Ozyurt's profile on Facebook. Two things became apparent to me: 1) that he looks like a chill guy from Alabama who couldn't possibly cause anxiety to his spouse, or to the guy behind him in line at Starbucks. and 2) I think this ordeal is much less of an issue to him than it is to us.

More importantly I am concerned about the whole service dog thing.

It has recently been explained to me that there is currently a lot of abuse of service animal rules/laws. Whether it's someone who doesn't need one but gets one or someone who doesn't actually have a trained service dog, but has bought bogus credentials...

http://www.huffingto..._n_3709720.html

http://www.petsadvis...vice-dog-fraud/

I have a golden retriever from a service dog breeder. I know that breeder is upset; and I understand the whole legitimate service dog community is up in arms about the issue.

About a month ago, I sat on a cross country flight next to a veteran who had PTSD from firefights in both Iraq and Afghanistan, but would not admit it. That guy needed a companion animal. Not as much as a blind person, but I wouldn't deny him the benefit.

But everything in moderation. We start giving people service dogs for anxiety not related to combat, we are on a slippery slope.

Our lawmakers are going to need to take a long hard look at the VA/ADA laws currently on the books. If Ashley Ozyurt can claim 70% military disability before finishing tech school, there appears to be a loophole that someone could drive a truck through. Perhaps a more reliable physical evaluation for enlistees... I dunno.

About the service dog bit. Do remember she is with the Office of Accessibility at Auburn. They handle all accommodations, they will have professional documentation that they have verified for her to use the dog on campus and in the classrooms.

Dogs have been used in this capacity since the 40's.

Are you saying that only individuals in this country that have seen combat should be allowed to have such a dog and noone else? Regardless of prescription by a professional therapist?

Forgive me for being cryptic but I'm in a pickle because of my direct involvement with the case. "If" this isn't settled within the next 24-36 hours expect statements one way or the other. I can't speak to the intent of the accuser because I've only met her once in person and I'm not sure what the angle is on her side. For ours we are trying to be respectful to all three students involved while at the same time doing everything we can to gather information in case it goes beyond a joint resolution.

Sorry guys. About all I can say right now. It's not as easy as it seems but if a few outside influences hadn't mixed into this we'd be talking about something else today. WDE

I've more or less kept up with this, but I am a little confused. Did the original account about the players cursing, then threatening her come directly from the "vet" or her sister? And was her sister even there?

The sister claimed the account was in Ashley's own words, but she was the one who posted it and publicized it. I would be willing to bet it was her idea for Ashley to write the account, and wouldn't be surprised if she helped embellish it.

It's this simple. You cannot take a dog out in public and not expect people to want to pet it. Most people like dogs, and especially on a college campus....you will have interest in your animal. I have a golden retriever and my dog gets lots of love whenever I take him out with me anywhere. I am fully aware that people will want to pet him. It happens every single time we go out and he enjoys all the attention.

By not having her dog wear the service dog vest...she was setting herself and the dog up for what she claims was unwanted attention. Isn't that why the vests have the warning on them....to let the public know? So....why was there no vest on her dog?

It's totally and completely out of line for her to get mad when it was her fault for not putting the service dog vest on her dog. This girl is no novice. She had to know what would happen.

It's this simple. You cannot take a dog out in public and not expect people to want to pet it. Most people like dogs, and especially on a college campus....you will have interest in your animal. I have a golden retriever and my dog gets lots of love whenever I take him out with me anywhere. I am fully aware that people will want to pet him. It happens every single time we go out and he enjoys all the attention.

By not having her dog wear the service dog vest...she was setting herself and the dog up for what she claims was unwanted attention. Isn't that why the vests have the warning on them....to let the public know? So....why was there no vest on her dog?

It's totally and completely out of line for her to get mad when it was her fault for not putting the service dog vest on her dog. This girl is no novice. She had to know what would happen.

This^^

The whole deal with the vest gets me too. I posted much earlier in this thread about a friend of mine who had a service dog because she had seizures. She told me that the dogs are trained to work in their vests so that they associate the vest with being on the job. Not having the vest on the dog tells the dog it doesn't have to be working right now, it can just be a dog. So if she was upset that they were bothering her unvested dog because it was "on the job" then that is wholly inaccurate.

Forgive me for being cryptic but I'm in a pickle because of my direct involvement with the case. "If" this isn't settled within the next 24-36 hours expect statements one way or the other. I can't speak to the intent of the accuser because I've only met her once in person and I'm not sure what the angle is on her side. For ours we are trying to be respectful to all three students involved while at the same time doing everything we can to gather information in case it goes beyond a joint resolution.

Sorry guys. About all I can say right now. It's not as easy as it seems but if a few outside influences hadn't mixed into this we'd be talking about something else today. WDE

First, thanks for your info. By saying joint resolution I sure hope that Auburn isn't conceding any kind of punitive award to the girl. From all accounts besides hers, she was at the very least equally in the wrong here and last I heard, it wasn't against the law to call ANYONE a bitch. (School code and decorum may say differently). If her side is trying to parlay this incident into a payout, I'd tell them to go kick rocks and put a huge spotlight on her, her actions, and "disabilities", but that's just me.

Also, has there been a call to the student body for witnesses to come forward and give their account?

FYI, according to the girl the dog was wearing the service vest that said "Do not pet." The players (and at least a couple of other groups of students) didn't notice it and pet or attempted to pet the dog.

You don't have to be a vet with PTSD to benefit from a service dog. "Seeing eye dogs" have been around since at least the 1940's, maybe much before that. I have a 14 year-old grand daughter with anxiety issues. Her 5 pound Chihuahua is a service dog. It senses and warns when one of her panic attacks is coming on and she also derives comfort from it during an attack. Unlike our above "victim", my grand daughter is always glad to answer questions about it and is glad when people want to pet the little critter.

If your agenda is to have your grievance heard by the University there is a way to do that. If however, your agenda is to exploit this by turning it into a national event then you and your agents will immediately go on twitter, contact the media and make sure your narrative is the one getting all the publicity. I have heard a lot about PTSD, implications in the media that she was a combat veteran and on and on. But with little effort the truth can be found.

In her specific case, she received a 30% disability for an "adjustment disorder w/ mixed anxiety and depression." She received a 40% disability for other disorders that included cysts, lumbar strain, scoliosis and bilateral plantar fasciitis. The complete breakdown of her disability is a follows:

"DOD: 10% Pilonidal cyst w/ painful scarring

VA: 10% Pilonidal cyst w/ painful scarring

10% Bilateral Plantar Fasciitis

10% Lumbar strain and scoliosis

30% Adjustment disorder w/ mixed anxiety and depression"

The source of this info ? Her own words: http://www.pebforum....timeline.16675/

She is a veteran. All her duty stations were stateside. She is not a combat veteran. She applied for disability for several reasons. She did this while still in tech school. I think it is important to deal with facts in this case, instead of a narrative.

As is the case with the poster above, #1AUFAN, I am also a Vietnam veteran.

Just read the same thing on ESPN.com. I'd hate to think we are dealing with a professional victim. That would suck.

"Cooper Byrd" wrote on the ESPN site that the 30% anxiety she was claiming was that she was married to a Turkish Muslim. I'm not quite sure I understand that. My assumption is that "marrying a Turkish Muslim would cause anxiety to an enlisted person because it is a minority culture and radical Islamists are the enemy in the global war on terror." ...? I just viewed Atilla Ozyurt's profile on Facebook. Two things became apparent to me: 1) that he looks like a chill guy from Alabama who couldn't possibly cause anxiety to his spouse, or to the guy behind him in line at Starbucks. and 2) I think this ordeal is much less of an issue to him than it is to us.

More importantly I am concerned about the whole service dog thing.

It has recently been explained to me that there is currently a lot of abuse of service animal rules/laws. Whether it's someone who doesn't need one but gets one or someone who doesn't actually have a trained service dog, but has bought bogus credentials...

http://www.huffingto..._n_3709720.html

http://www.petsadvis...vice-dog-fraud/

I have a golden retriever from a service dog breeder. I know that breeder is upset; and I understand the whole legitimate service dog community is up in arms about the issue.

About a month ago, I sat on a cross country flight next to a veteran who had PTSD from firefights in both Iraq and Afghanistan, but would not admit it. That guy needed a companion animal. Not as much as a blind person, but I wouldn't deny him the benefit.

But everything in moderation. We start giving people service dogs for anxiety not related to combat, we are on a slippery slope.

Our lawmakers are going to need to take a long hard look at the VA/ADA laws currently on the books. If Ashley Ozyurt can claim 70% military disability before finishing tech school, there appears to be a loophole that someone could drive a truck through. Perhaps a more reliable physical evaluation for enlistees... I dunno.

About the service dog bit. Do remember she is with the Office of Accessibility at Auburn. They handle all accommodations, they will have professional documentation that they have verified for her to use the dog on campus and in the classrooms.

Dogs have been used in this capacity since the 40's.

Are you saying that only individuals in this country that have seen combat should be allowed to have such a dog and noone else? Regardless of prescription by a professional therapist?

Oh. I know there are service dogs that help with anxieties not related to getting shot at in a war. It's also possible a member of the armed forces has such anxiety and needs that accommodation. But, I have a hard time when she gets painted with the same broad DAV brush as the guy who lost a limb, or who is haunted by memories.

I do find it difficult to accept that someone who never truly went to work while enlisted has a 70% disability, and that part of the benefit includes a dog.

@Homersapien, It was a comment on the article at espn.com.

First, thanks for your info. By saying joint resolution I sure hope that Auburn isn't conceding any kind of punitive award to the girl. From all accounts besides hers, she was at the very least equally in the wrong here and last I heard, it wasn't against the law to call ANYONE a bitch. (School code and decorum may say differently). If her side is trying to parlay this incident into a payout, I'd tell them to go kick rocks and put a huge spotlight on her, her actions, and "disabilities", but that's just me.

Also, has there been a call to the student body for witnesses to come forward and give their account?

So far we have the account of the student who posted on reddit and a couple of others who saw parts of what happened. A call out could take place by counsel if she doesn't accept a resolution (not punitive in nature) tomorrow. She only wanted to talk with the player(s) involved last week so we hope we get that chance and can move on from there.

FYI, according to the girl the dog was wearing the service vest that said "Do not pet." The players (and at least a couple of other groups of students) didn't notice it and pet or attempted to pet the dog.

I thought I read where witnesses said there was no vest???

The vests I have seen are very,very noticeable. They cover a pretty good area of the dog's body and the letters are big and bright. That's the whole point in having the dog wear one. It's not something you just don't see. So I'm not sure about that...

People almost always respect the service dogs wearing a vest unless it's a child. I have seen children try to pet one and have to be told why they can't. It makes no sense to me that all those people would deliberately ignore a service dog vest.

Now they are claiming on the K9 Facebook page that a meeting was scheduled and their "warrior" showed up but the two players didn't. Of couse that contains a nice picture of "the warrior" and her dog along with pictures of the two players followied by a whole bunch of comments claiming the players are cowards, should be kicked off the team and have their scholarships taken away, etc., etc., etc.

Now they are claiming on the K9 Facebook page that a meeting was scheduled and their "warrior" showed up but the two players didn't. Of couse that contains a nice picture of "the warrior" and her dog along with pictures of the two players followied by a whole bunch of comments claiming the players are cowards, should be kicked off the team and have their scholarships taken away, etc., etc., etc.

I find that hard to believe given that on the news broadcast she went on said the players had offered to meet and apologize personally to her, but she said "I'm just not comfortable with that yet". So which is it? Ridiculous.

What has our society become when legal counsel has to get involved when someone pets or tries to pet someone's dog and they may have also called the pet's owner a perjorative?

What has our society become when legal counsel has to get involved when someone pets or tries to pet someone's dog and they may have also called the pet's owner a perjorative?

It's the "pander to an alleged victim" culture that has become popular in some circles. That and lawyers always cruising around looking to make a living off of non-events.

Looks like there is a parallel story in Jacksonville. This organization is working very hard to get a test case. I hope it doesn't land on AU.

http://www.firstcoas...-ptsd/23747271/

Looked at their website: http://www.k9sforwar...war.../program/ They acquire rescue dogs and pair them with a veteran. The veteran travels to Ponte Vedra, FL, where their 3 week stay is complementary. Hmm.

At first glance, I'd really prefer the organization spent more funds on developing a relationship with certified breeders of service labs/retrievers/GSDs, rather than a free 3 week stay for the vets. Dogs sourced from these breeders will have the appropriate training and temperament, etc.

Ashley's photo is on K9s for Warriors Facebook page. Her dog appears to be a collie mix. When yo go with a dog like that, you have no idea what is in it. Sweet looking dog, though.

I bet Dontravious and Andrew thought they were going to pet the nice lady's sweet looking dog and maybe get a phone number. Walked into a spring loaded trap. I hope this doesn't drag the program through the mud.

It's interesting that the reaction from her camp seemed to be to spew information to anyone and everyone that was willing to listen yet here is a quote from Duval in the link above. Make your mind up.

Shari Duval, founder of K9s for Warriors, works day in and day out with veterans with PTSD. She explains that to put someone with PTSD into a sudden spotlight "brings more humiliation" to them and causes extreme stress.

The vests I have seen are very,very noticeable. They cover a pretty good area of the dog's body and the letters are big and bright. That's the whole point in having the dog wear one. It's not something you just don't see. So I'm not sure about that...

People almost always respect the service dogs wearing a vest unless it's a child. I have seen children try to pet one and have to be told why they can't. It makes no sense to me that all those people would deliberately ignore a service dog vest.

If you are walking from behind at 10ft to the rear of the person with the dog and make a gesture to the dog you have no idea what the vest says. From behind it looks like a harness. Even so, the players didn't know what a service dog is for. They were used to the typical police dog or see and eye dog. For them they were unsure and before they knew it she reacted. Total misunderstanding.

If you are walking from behind at 10ft to the rear of the person with the dog and make a gesture to the dog you have no idea what the vest says. From behind it looks like a harness. Even so, the players didn't know what a service dog is for. They were used to the typical police dog or see and eye dog. For them they were unsure and before they knew it she reacted. Total misunderstanding.

which is why the words ; "bullying "and "harassment" should have never been used.

Archived