Redevelopment of Toomers Corner (City of Auburn)

autigeremt

looks like the paw print is pointing towards toomers....I thought it always pointed towards campus...

Nope it pointed towards Toomer's. I would post a picture, but I'm not that smart.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like the paw print is pointing towards toomers....I thought it always pointed towards campus...

Nope it pointed towards Toomer's. I would post a picture, but I'm not that smart.

308I_Toomerspaw.jpg

DSCN0877.jpg

Paving has started on Magnolia ... more street lining on College, traffic signal work and more brick pavers today ... getting there.

Capture.jpg

Paving has started on Magnolia ... more street lining on College, traffic signal work and more brick pavers today ... getting there.

Capture.jpg

Looking good, it also looks like no curb will be in place.. Is that accurate?

They will use bollards on the corners to protect pedestrians.

They will use bollards on the corners to protect pedestrians.

Thank you kind sir.

I noticed the grass is filed in partially in Samford park. Any news on when that will finish? And what exactly did they do there?

Phase II of the Samford Park renovation. Widening and re routing of the sidewalks in preparation for the planting of descendent oaks of the original trees this December. At some point future generations of the Auburn Family will look through a tunnel of oaks and see Samford Hall.

Here is the way I remember it being painted...sorry for any confusion.. this was in 1989

Screen-Shot-2015-03-12-at-12.20.36-PM.png

another shot in color

Toomers-Tiger-Paw-1989.jpg

pointed towards campus.. Just wondering when it changed? The second pix is from the 1990 Glom

Yes. From the Toomer's webcam page:

The Corner Construction will renovate the Toomer's Corner intersection, raising it to match the elevation of the sidewalks for downtown events.

I also recall reading somewhere (can't find it right now) that there will still be a slight curb in front of Toomer's Drugs, but all others the sidewalks and street level will be the same to enhance ADA compliance.

How are the new Oaks doing? I sure hope they make it through.

Yeah if someone could take a pic if in Auburn it would be appreciated.

CLu7i1yW8AAuWGu.jpg

When they started this whole thing, I couldn't envision the end result being anything like old Toomers- I was right.

It's better. So open and well planned. Bravo to those guys with vision.

CLu7i1yW8AAuWGu.jpg

The guys in the fluorescent lime green shirts need to get their asses to work. Just standing around talking gossip.

Haha well spotted sir!

Is there a estimated completion date for Toomers corner?

From the Toomer's webcam page:

Construction should be completed by August 16th

Looks like it's the orange shirt day to stand around and gossip. Tiger paw taking shape.

gallery_33175_34_703140.png

From the Toomer's webcam page:

Construction should be completed by August 16th

Looks like it's the orange shirt day to stand around and gossip. Tiger paw taking shape.

gallery_33175_34_703140.png

Yes, lol. They turned the far corner over to the yellow crew yesterday. They started at 2:00 PM and got a lot done by lunch time today as shown in your pic. Also, a 2nd orange crew is working the corner by Toomer's Drugs and moving right along.

Meanwhile, the snails in our original orange crew are doing a lot of "consulting" with each other each time before they make their next move. They are finally starting on the tiger paws. Meanwhile, the big bosses have been out there a lot the last 3 days, pushing the oranges.

checked the webcam a few minutes ago and now there are .... zero ... neon shirts in the picture ...

I scrolled the cam back to the time of your post. It was lunchtime in the central time zone. ;D

Archived