Redevelopment of Toomers Corner (City of Auburn)

autigeremt

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11820629_101759576845612_1577600482_n.jpg

that circle is where I thought an AU should have been

That would have looked cool, but likely would have been defaced on a regular basis by some bammer or dawg fan. Sad but true.

So if they deface the new Tiger Paw which I think is part of a US Highway.....US29 ...I guess that's still the route. So defacing the paw would be a Federal Crime....go to jail and no parole?

Taking my kids to Auburn for the first time this Fall. These changes are beautiful IMO, I'll get a kick out of boring them with stories about the way it looked back in '81. I'm guessing that ritualistic-looking circle would have been a hang out for Brother Eddie & Sister Cindy.

Anybody with the right contact(s) to get the camera lens cleaned on the webcam. Seems all the dirt and dust from sawing the bricks has stuck to the lens. Makes it look like the center of the intersection has little dirt clods all over it. Did not realize it was the camera until a green shirt walked past and a dirt clod went to his shirt.

That was fast, I decided to call myself and the Lady with the City said she would pass it on to IT department. By 10am when I checked again it had been done.

Before ...

CMD0XRoUAAAShao.jpg

via @AU_Facilities

After ...

CMD0XM0VEAA1gzV.jpg

via @AU_Facilities

On a rendering that they had right by Toomer's corner there were trees planted behind the benches. Is this still the plan?

I believe so, this stretch from the corner to Samford is supposed to be lined with oaks.

image.jpg

Finished product looks really good! Should save a ton of continual maintenance not having to repaint that thing so many times per year.

Almost finished now and it looks very nice. Hopefully they will power wash all the bricks when they are finished and then it will really pop.

That, or even a couple heavy rains will help. Does anyone know if there is a master plan to continue the freshly paved roads down each way of College and Magnolia? Aesthetically, everything looks better because of the freshly paved roads. I would hope they would continue that down the stretch of that intersection.

Almost finished now and it looks very nice. Hopefully they will power wash all the bricks when they are finished and then it will really pop.

That, or even a couple heavy rains will help. Does anyone know if there is a master plan to continue the freshly paved roads down each way of College and Magnolia? Aesthetically, everything looks better because of the freshly paved roads. I would hope they would continue that down the stretch of that intersection.

Power washing would knock out the sand/sealer they spent most of yesterday brushing between the pavers. They wet it down when they were done, and that will help lock everything in place. A good rain and a little weathering and it will look great.

I remember brother Eddie and sister Cindy! Not sure they could find as many people to harass as they could on the concourse. They were really creepy! I dared not make eye contact!

Any one still think they won't finish on time? ;)

Haha, they had no choice right ? But at the time it was easy to see that the Orange #1 team (the snails) couldn't come close to getting the job done. As expected Big Bossman had to bring in the army, Orange #2 and the Yellows, to get the corners done and make the deadline. Smart move since even though Orange #1 has been working late into the night, they just DID finish the center section and crosswalks.

;)

Any one still think they won't finish on time? ;)

Haha, they had no choice right ? But the point at the time was that the Orange #1 team was working on it by themselves (the snails) and it was easy to see those guys couldn't come close to getting the job done. But as expected Big Bossman had to bring in the army, Orange #2 and the Yellows, to get the corners done and make the deadline. Smart move because even though Orange #1 has been working late into the night, they just DID finish the center section and crosswalks.

;)

Well the flourescent green team sucks

Any one still think they won't finish on time? ;)/>

Haha, they had no choice right ? But the point at the time was that the Orange #1 team was working on it by themselves (the snails) and it was easy to see those guys couldn't come close to getting the job done. But as expected Big Bossman had to bring in the army, Orange #2 and the Yellows, to get the corners done and make the deadline. Smart move because even though Orange #1 has been working late into the night, they just DID finish the center section and crosswalks.

;)/>

Those dang greenies. Just took a look at the cam and Toomer's Corner REALLY looks nice.

Any one still think they won't finish on time? ;)/>

;)/>

Those dang greenies. Just took a look at the cam and Toomer's Corner REALLY looks nice.

Don't you mean The Goonies?

The entrance design is great....love the brick walkway toward Samford...and the new intersection. I've been on a few college campuses and I've gotta say that AU is one of the most impressive looking school anywhere...especially among public universities. Any young person considering AU, whether as an athlete or just a student, has to be impressed with the campus and the student oriented features.

Again...congrats to everyone involved with this project....and much as I hate to say it, could be that without Updyke's travesty, we might not have done that work as I can't imagine anyone making a decision to build that beautiful entry as long as the original oaks were in place.

Archived