Redevelopment of Toomers Corner (City of Auburn)

autigeremt

Are the lights able to change colors? I agree in the orange and blue during Auburn gamedays and events, but i am also fine with using colorful lights when not directly dealing with an Auburn University event.

The lights do change color.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pizza company replacing the vault will make a killing.

During the season, you bet. But after December it's gonna be just another pizza joint among the 107 in Auburn.

#RIP Bank Vault

During the season, you bet. But after December it's gonna be just another pizza joint among the 107 in Auburn.

#RIP Bank Vault

108 if you include the one they are putting in Zazzou's.

Do i understand that there are no curbs on the corners.....if so, guess the lights are used to delineate the edge of the road....

Do i understand that there are no curbs on the corners.....if so, guess the lights are used to delineate the edge of the road....

I think they are intended to take the classiest street corner in all the land and turn it into a tacky Broadway style street. Completely disgusting to ruin such a beautiful scene. Who wants to go to Toomers psychadelic rave club? I sure don't.. Brings a whole new meaning to "rolling" Toomers corner..

I think they are intended to take the classiest street corner in all the land and turn it into a tacky Broadway style street. Completely disgusting to ruin such a beautiful scene. Who wants to go to Toomers psychadelic rave club? I sure don't.. Brings a whole new meaning to "rolling" Toomers corner..

Next thing you know there will be orange jerseys with orange face masks..........

Next thing you know there will be orange jerseys with orange face masks..........

NEVER !!! that's definitely going to far.

As for the disco corner....can't disagree with some of the negative comments but I figure that's because of my age. I'm hoping that younger people that are likely to gather there will be pleased with the "look".

When they make all the lights the same color, it's not AS repulsive.

If it were me, I'd just go with white lights for the vast majority of the year. Then orange/blue on game days, perhaps some holiday-specific lighting (red on valentine's day, green on st. patrick's day, etc.).

It has the potential to be very tacky, as many of you have noted.

When they make all the lights the same color, it's not AS repulsive.

If it were me, I'd just go with white lights for the vast majority of the year. Then orange/blue on game days, perhaps some holiday-specific lighting (red on valentine's day, green on st. patrick's day, etc.).

It has the potential to be very tacky, as many of you have noted.

This. It feels like the city was trying to make downtown something hip and cool for all the chill'uns at the University, but they did so at the cost of the nice small town charm of downtown. Like you said, if they keep them at a simple white light, I think they will be alright, and I can see them being a nice effect on the corners and on the benches. But right now they have them constantly cycling through the rainbow and it simply looks cheap. I'm pretty sure my brother used the same LED kit to backlight the beer bottles he has on the top of his cabinets.

#RIP Bank Vault

108 if you include the one they are putting in Zazzou's.

I thought that was going to be a bar.

Your opinion. I think it looks awesome and just about all other students think so too. All of you are out of your minds if you think simple lights take away from a "small town" feel. Please save it, that's ridiculous. It's a COLLEGE town.

Your opinion. I think it looks awesome and just about all other students think so too. All of you are out of your minds if you think simple lights take away from a "small town" feel. Please save it, that's ridiculous. It's a COLLEGE town.

I like everything except the colors they chose for the LEDs, which kinda ruin it for me.

I think what you are seeing is testing of the lights and all the various options, the same as is being done with Aubietron. I did notice that the curb light by Toomer's was stuck on red which is why they test. Last night when I tuned in they had the lights all white which looked very nice. I bet that will be the standard option and the others used for things like block parties, holidays, Friday or Saturday nights and other special events.

I like the lighting...and I am not a youngun....I think that the lights can add to the ambiance if done correctly. I don't think it diminishes from AU or the City in taking the charm away. If you want that old time feeling of a small town...you can drive in any direction from Auburn and get it...the downtowns may be shuttered but you will find it...also how many small towns have more than one bar in them? This is a college town and the lighting adds some charm if staged correctly...

It is a college town that depends on huge amounts of money from people no longer in college. The sentiment of most (not all but most) of those a few years removed from college and older think it is tacky. Tacky definitely takes away from the small town classy vibe and I think it's ridiculous and that you are out of your mind if you think that turning Toomers corner into something that looks like it belongs on bourbon street is the best option. We'll just have to agree to disagree and I really hope they keep it simple with soft orange or white lights which would vastly reduce that tacky element of revolving colors.

In time we will get accustomed to it. Heck if we are willing to let a giant led score board light up the night light out of the stadium with most every color in the spectrum, we might be able to get by with the few leds at Toomers corner.

Archived