Redevelopment of Toomers Corner (City of Auburn)

autigeremt

Hey guys,

I know it is mostly all fun and all to talk bad about the guys laying the pavers but it is hard work to do what they are doing. When you talk about them moving slow please take into consideration that 1). if you never have done this type of work, you have no clue at how hard it is, especially, in the Alabama heat. 2). Before the pavers can be placed, there is a lot of prep work that must be done. So just because you sit in a little cubicle watching the "webcam" and you do not agree with the progress being made, remember this does not mean that there is not work being done. 3). There are issues that arise when working on a job site that has multiple crews. For instance, on a job site like this, you are having to work around other crews and also wait on other crews to complete there work first. So things can be put on hold for a bit.

These guys have been working very long hours to complete a job that you all will be able to enjoy for years to come. This is something that you will be able to show off to all your family and friends and something to be proud about. So please respect these guys and show alittle appreciation for what they are doing.

Thanks and War Eagle!!

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys,

I know it is mostly all fun and all to talk bad about the guys laying the pavers but it is hard work to do what they are doing. When you talk about them moving slow please take into consideration that 1). if you never have done this type of work, you have no clue at how hard it is, especially, in the Alabama heat. 2). Before the pavers can be placed, there is a lot of prep work that must be done. So just because you sit in a little cubicle watching the "webcam" and you do not agree with the progress being made, remember this does not mean that there is not work being done. 3). There are issues that arise when working on a job site that has multiple crews. For instance, on a job site like this, you are having to work around other crews and also wait on other crews to complete there work first. So things can be put on hold for a bit.

These guys have been working very long hours to complete a job that you all will be able to enjoy for years to come. This is something that you will be able to show off to all your family and friends and something to be proud about. So please respect these guys and show alittle appreciation for what they are doing.

Thanks and War Eagle!!

I know that it is tough work to get it done and to do it correctly. I think those guys did a splendid job. I think it looks really good and they did some great work...and if you are one of them...THANKS for the Great Work!

Hey guys,

Thanks and War Eagle!!

We appreciate the work alright as well as the conditions as many of us have worked in the field. But, we have been watching the project for a long time to form our opinions. The other 2 crews didn't have the same problem and they were working under the same conditions. The Orange #1 crew was the only one with the pace problems. They also would have numerous "consultations" with each other during their shift, something the other crews didn't need either.

Hey guys,

Thanks and War Eagle!!

We appreciate the work alright as well as the conditions as many of us have worked in the field. But, we have been watching the project for a long time to form our opinions. The other 2 crews didn't have the same problem and they were working under the same conditions. The Orange #1 crew was the only one with the pace problems. They also would have numerous "consultations" with each other during their shift, something the other crews didn't need either.

I understand that. I also want to point out that you said "watching". You do not know what they were discussing. Is it not ok to discuss the next plan of action or to direct workers on what needs to be completed next? As a healthcare provider, we "consult" with people throughout the day everyday. When did it become a bad thing to stop and talk to someone. They have done a great job and are on schedule to complete the job on time (actually before the deadline). And of course the other guys (orange #2) came in and helped tremendously. There was always plans for additional help to come in but you can't move a crew off a previous job until it is ok to do so. This is a huge job for 3-4 people to take on alone. Also with this heat, it would be appropriate to stop every 15 - 30 minutes or so to take a short break. You get extremely hot in a short amount of time.

I am not trying to start an argument, just trying to get people who sit behind a computer screen to understand the condition that these guys are working in.

Hey guys,

Thanks and War Eagle!!

I understand that. I also want to point out that you said "watching". You do not know what they were discussing. Is it not ok to discuss the next plan of action or to direct workers on what needs to be completed next? As a healthcare provider, we "consult" with people throughout the day everyday. When did it become a bad thing to stop and talk to someone. They have done a great job and are on schedule to complete the job on time (actually before the deadline). And of course the other guys (orange #2) came in and helped tremendously. There was always plans for additional help to come in but you can't move a crew off a previous job until it is ok to do so. This is a huge job for 3-4 people to take on alone. Also with this heat, it would be appropriate to stop every 15 - 30 minutes or so to take a short break. You get extremely hot in a short amount of time.

I am not trying to start an argument, just trying to get people who sit behind a computer screen to understand the condition that these guys are working in.

You are stretching this to the extreme to try to explain it away. Again, the other crews didn't have the same problems and they were working under identical conditions.

Ok, that is your opinion. If it started off slower than you would have liked, I apologize. What matters is that it is completed on time, that it is done correctly and looks good. Hope everyone enjoys it and I can't wait to see that area covered with Auburn fans and toilet paper.

I think you are stretching this to the extreme to try to explain it away. Again, the other crews didn't have the same problems and they were working under identical conditions.

WDE

Ok, that is your opinion. If it started off slower than you would have liked, I apologize. What matters is that it is completed on time, that it is done correctly and looks good. Hope everyone enjoys it and I can't wait to see that area covered with Auburn fans and toilet paper.

Yes, it was completed on time and looks spectacular. That is what matters, on this we agree.

WDE

Orange 1 - First String

Orange 2 - Backups, JuCo, assorted subs

Yellow - Folk's on the internet

1 has end in sight
    2 has fresh legs
    Yellow - talks crap and makes fun of dip-slaying Orange 1
      1 needed a hand
      2 worked well with 1
      Yellow - Gathers around the watering trough to talk more shite and does the group hung, after deciding kumbayah is indeed the best pump song ever. All the while rehashing yesterdays lunch option and arguing if duke is indeed spelled with a special k .... begin talk's about hiring orange 3 and agree tomorrows discussion is whether ice in the drinking water was the reason for cost over-runs
        1 agrees a cold beer is long over do
        2 start's looking for next job
        Yellow - wonders where everyone else went and spontaneously begin patting each other's backside - because they all agree they couldn't have got it done without each other

Moral of this story: getting No's 1 and 2 done on time, leads to some mighty stinky hands.

I think the intersection looks great, but I am curious in regard to the yellow street signals? In many new areas the outside cabinet for the street signal is painted to match the support structure so that it is more aesthetically pleasing. Do they not do that in Alabama?

Orange 1 - First String

Orange 2 - Backups, JuCo, assorted subs

Yellow - Folk's on the internet

1 has end in sight
    2 has fresh legs
    Yellow - talks crap and makes fun of dip-slaying Orange 1
      1 needed a hand
      2 worked well with 1
      Yellow - Gathers around the watering trough to talk more shite and does the group hung, after deciding kumbayah is indeed the best pump song ever. All the while rehashing yesterdays lunch option and arguing if duke is indeed spelled with a special k .... begin talk's about hiring orange 3 and agree tomorrows discussion is whether ice in the drinking water was the reason for cost over-runs
        1 agrees a cold beer is long over do
        2 start's looking for next job
        Yellow - wonders where everyone else went and spontaneously begin patting each other's backside - because they all agree they couldn't have got it done without each other

Moral of this story: getting No's 1 and 2 done on time, leads to some mighty stinky hands.

Actually, the Yellows were yet another crew that came in with Orange 2 to get the job finished on time. You also forgot the part about the 2 bosses and the company owner coming down there daily for 3 weeks prior to this, trying to push Orange 1 to pick up the pace and get the job done. He literally threw up his hands one day and brought in the other crews. At least it was a creative story.

It looks like when they get the lanes striped and the trees in place, they will just about have Toomer's Corner wrapped up. It's going to be spectacular.

54fe0d8161e77.image.jpg?resize=760%2C760

there is one orange dude working ... looks like he is mowing the lawn. going about as fast as i do ... which aint impressive.

(no, i dont need any explanations about what he is doing ... it just funny there is one dude working after the blistering activity this last week or so)

Need to wait 7 days for the asphalt to cure before placing pavement striping

If that's the rationale, why have they already painted the end lines, arrows, and parking spaces?

I haven't kept up day to day ... when did they do the paving?

CMTmmsrUYAAwaoy.jpg

CMTmmwDVEAAnjjx.jpg

CMTmmxiUAAILtD5.jpg

CMTmmy2UwAUCbVF.jpg

How is the tree looking in person. It is just a pic, but it looks dry and not that healthy in the pic. I am no tree expert. Sure hoping for good luck for this tree.

Archived