ESPN

Tigermike

Monday, December 27, 2004

Coach agrees to new deal worth $16M

ESPN.com news services

When Auburn collects its BCS check, Tommy Tuberville will also be rewarded -- with a $16 million contract.

The coach, whom school officials tried to replace in 2003, has agreed in principle to a new seven-year deal to coach the Tigers, as first reported by Gene Wojciechowski of ESPN The Magazine.

"We have almost finished a new contract, and I'm excited about that," Tuberville told The Associated Press on Monday. "I'm excited about the future."

Tuberville, this year's AP Coach of the Year, arrived in New Orleans on Monday, reiterating that he is not interested in the LSU coaching job.

"I told everybody last week: I'm going to be at Auburn next year," Tuberville told The Associated Press. "I'm excited about this past season. I'm excited about the Sugar Bowl, and I'm looking forward to many more years at Auburn."

Meanwhile, ESPN.com's Pat Forde reports that LSU has asked for and received permission to speak with Louisville coach Bobby Petrino regarding its coaching vacancy.

Tuberville led the third-ranked Tigers to a 12-0 regular season and their first Southeastern Conference championship in 15 years. They are playing Virginia Tech in the bowl on Jan. 3

The extension is a far cry from last season when it became public that Auburn officials, including the university president, had covertly courted Louisville coach Bobby Petrino to replace Tuberville.

LSU is seeking to replace Nick Saban, who announced Saturday he is leaving Baton Rouge to become head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

There were widespread rumors over the weekend that Tuberville was interested in the job despite having agreed in principle to a seven-year contract with Auburn that would pay him $16 million. The contract also reportedly would include a $7.5 million buyout.

Tuberville said he had not been in contact with LSU about the job and did not plan to be.

"We just now got our program going in full swing, and there's not a better place in the country to live and work and coach football," said Tuberville, who is 50-24 in six seasons at Auburn. "And I'm excited about being at Auburn long time."

Tuberville's current contract is five years at $1.5 million annually, and he is also in line for at least $300,000 in performance bonuses this year.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1953933

I must admit, I did enjoy seing the lsWHO folks longing for a REAL Coach and seeing the uaters praying that Tuberville would stop his ownership of this State. :D

I must admit, I did enjoy seing the lsWHO folks longing for a REAL Coach and seeing the uaters praying that Tuberville would stop his ownership of this State. :D

134178[/snapback]

Hahahaha....thanks I needed that this morning....

134178[/snapback]

134180[/snapback]

Care to explain where he's wrong? He's 4-2 overall against Bama and it took your last SEC championship team to pull off one of those wins. He's beaten you three in a row, four of the last five, gone 3-0 in your own stadium, just won an SEC championship and is currently coaching an undefeated team. In exactly what way does he not own the state right now, football-wise?

Yuk it up all you want. It won't have any effect until you figure out how to actually beat the guy you think is so terrible.

134178[/snapback]

134180[/snapback]

Care to explain where he's wrong? He's 4-2 overall against Bama and it took your last SEC championship team to pull off one of those wins. He's beaten you three in a row, four of the last five, gone 3-0 in your own stadium, just won an SEC championship and is currently coaching an undefeated team. In exactly what way does he not own the state right now, football-wise?

Yuk it up all you want. It won't have any effect until you figure out how to actually beat the guy you think is so terrible.

134184[/snapback]

can't argue his record against Bama, but I'd like to see any of you all post one shred of evidence that an LSU fan "longed" for him.....

134178[/snapback]

134180[/snapback]

134184[/snapback]

can't argue his record against Bama, but I'd like to see any of you all post one shred of evidence that an LSU fan "longed" for him.....

134186[/snapback]

Yesterday on the Finebaum show, there was a caller who identified himself as an LSU fan driving thru on his way to Atlanta. He said that yesterday morning in Baton Rogue one of the sports radio shows did an on air poll about who the fans wanted for their next coach. The LSU guy said that CTT had been leading by a wide margin when he left Baton Rogue.

Not scientific, but it seems there were/are some who would not mind at all if CTT were coming to town for a reason other than beating LSU. :big:

Oh, I don't think they did, but not because of coaching or recruiting abilities. They may talk a good game but the real reason many of them objected to it was because of their misplaced frustration at him beating them. He did it at a vastly inferior program like Ole Miss more times than they could stand and now he's doing it at Auburn as well. He's 4-2 against LSU, 3-2 against their savior, Nick Saban. And they can't stand it because they perceive themselves as so far above us.

They'll also talk some crap about cigars and such. But you know as well as I do, if he'd have left to go there, they'd have crowed all day long about how they stole our coach.

They'll also talk some crap about cigars and such.  But you know as well as I do, if he'd have left to go there, they'd have crowed all day long about how they stole our coach.

134193[/snapback]

And they would all have smoked cigars! :big:

Archived