Preseason Polls

RunInRed

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of those teams have a returning starting QB? I know UAt, AU, and FSU do not. Ohio State kind of does, didn't the QB who started the first game last year transfer?

How many of those teams have a returning starting QB? I know UAt, AU, and FSU do not. Ohio State kind of does, didn't the QB who started the first game last year transfer?

Ohio st has retained all 3 QBs so far....JT Barrett started the first game and is still there. Braxton Miller was/is thought to be a possibility to transfer but has not. Last I heard he visited bama several times but I don't think that is very credible.

JT prolly wont start. I think the plan is to give him more time to heal his ankle. starter will be Braxton or cardell. I think cardell gives them the best chance to win.

Keep in mind that 4 of the last 5 national championships have been won by first year starting QBs. QB play is incredibly important, but it seems like more of them are being better prepared in HS.

Good point. Even though he's a junior, this will be Jeremy's first year to start at QB for Auburn.

• 2 weeks later...
Associated Press prediction places Auburn in National Championship

Auburn is a trendy pick this preseason to possibly make a run to the national championship game for the second time in three years.

Ralph D. Russo, the Associated Press' national college football reporter, is the latest to jump on board with the Tigers in his early bowl projections. The veteran writer has Auburn in the College Football Playoff facing Notre Dame in a semifinal game at the Cotton Bowl.

Russo also has the Tigers knocking off the Irish to advance to the National Championship against Ohio State, the defending champs.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/06/associated_press_prediction_pl.html

Phil Steele puts us at No. 14 preaseson ...

Phil Steele ranks Auburn 14th in his preseason power rankings released this week in his preseason magazine. He projects Auburn to the Citrus Bowl to face Nebraska.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/06/associated_press_prediction_pl.html

Auburn is a trendy pick this preseason to possibly make a run to the national championship game for the second time in three years.

Ralph D. Russo, the Associated Press' national college football reporter, is the latest to jump on board with the Tigers in his early bowl projections. The veteran writer has Auburn in the College Football Playoff facing Notre Dame in a semifinal game at the Cotton Bowl.

Russo also has the Tigers knocking off the Irish to advance to the National Championship against Ohio State, the defending champs.

That and a dollar will get you a bad cup of coffee.

If i recall correctly Phil Steele has a pretty good track record of being accurate on his predictions -- is that right or am I off base here?

Pretty sure the media NEVER gets the SEC champ prediction correct or national champ though

Hopefully the team will be focused on winning the SEC Championship. Do that and the rest of this takes care of itself because they will be in the payoffs.

If i recall correctly Phil Steele has a pretty good track record of being accurate on his predictions -- is that right or am I off base here?

Pretty sure the media NEVER gets the SEC champ prediction correct or national champ though

If I recall correctly, Steele has an excellent record predicting what the preseason top 10 in the polls will look like.

His other predictions tend to be hit and miss.

I'm excited to see a credible source not jumping on the Auburn bandwagon for winning it all; regardless of what the potential of this team might be, we don't need those kinds of expectations going into a dangerous matchup with Louisville as the season opener.

Much as I believe in this team, losing a matchup like that, coupled with the LSU game early on, could destroy the momentum of the season, if the preseason rankings get too much play.

Time will tell how it all plays out, of course, but I prefer sitting somewhere in the bottom of the top ten at this point. And I like mid-teens better than top 2, as well...

I'm excited to see a credible source not jumping on the Auburn bandwagon for winning it all; regardless of what the potential of this team might be, we don't need those kinds of expectations going into a dangerous matchup with Louisville as the season opener.

Much as I believe in this team, losing a matchup like that, coupled with the LSU game early on, could destroy the momentum of the season, if the preseason rankings get too much play.

Time will tell how it all plays out, of course, but I prefer sitting somewhere in the bottom of the top ten at this point. And I like mid-teens better than top 2, as well...

As I've said before if you're an elite program you're going to get the respect in the rankings. We have to perform no matter what the circumstances are. I rather AU be considered a top 5 team year in and year out than to be considered 15+. I just don't get the "worried of falling flat because of high expectations" argument. If you want to always be the underdog then I guess that stance is fine, but it's not for me.

As I've said before if you're an elite program you're going to get the respect in the rankings. We have to perform no matter what the circumstances are. I rather AU be considered a top 5 team year in and year out than to be considered 15+. I just don't get the "worried of falling flat because of high expectations" argument. If you want to always be the underdog then I guess that stance is fine, but it's not for me.

I agree with parts of what you're both saying. I agree with Red that it's a real danger that high expectations can be more easily dashed. I also agree with you, Maverick, that we need to learn better how to handle high expectations, especially if we lose a game. The UGA game last year was a disgrace, for instance.

That and a dollar will get you a bad cup of coffee.

Aren't you the optimistic one. You make me all warm and fuzzy. Damn. Have some faith. War Eagle!

It isn't that I don't want to be ranked that way year in and year out, nor that I believe the team is unworthy of such. What I'm getting at is that at the end of last season, some were saying this one becomes a big year for Gus, because (according to this thought progression) another 8-9 win season puts him on the hot seat.

Now Auburn is toast of the town and the trendy pick to rise quickly, even win it all...and no actual games have been played in between those two extreme propositions. This sets things up so that anything less than contending for the national championship deep into the season, despite an entirely new offensive backfield and one of the most difficult early season schedules in the country, will likely be seen as a let down.

I guess I'm just leery of putting the cart in front of the horse, so to speak.

It isn't that I don't want to be ranked that way year in and year out, nor that I believe the team is unworthy of such. What I'm getting at is that at the end of last season, some were saying this one becomes a big year for Gus, because (according to this thought progression) another 8-9 win season puts him on the hot seat.

Now Auburn is toast of the town and the trendy pick to rise quickly, even win it all...and no actual games have been played in between those two extreme propositions. This sets things up so that anything less than contending for the national championship deep into the season, despite an entirely new offensive backfield and one of the most difficult early season schedules in the country, will likely be seen as a let down.

I guess I'm just leery of putting the cart in front of the horse, so to speak.

For what its worth, I feel the exact same way.

This makes even the most unheralded Sunshine pumper jump for joy!

Archived