Derrick Moncrief to Transfer

RunInRed

Coming out of high school he was a 2 star and the 133 rated safety. JUCO ratings aren't as telling. That said, I wish him well. He came to play safety and that's what he wants to do . He's not the best option here. Maybe at some acc school he will be.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the timing of this weird? I'm just surprised these didn't happen earlier, but maybe my memory is fuzzy on when it usually tends to happen. They've got all summer, I'm sure they'll be fine.

The timing is very normal, this happens every year at this time. Guys go through spring practice, don't move up the depth chart, think about it, finish the school term and transfer. Maybe the coaches have a heart-to-heart and explain there's not much playing time in their futures.

Unless he's graduated Moncrief will have to sit out a transfer year if he goes to another D-1 school. Really, with our situation in the D-backfield last season, if he couldn't make it big then I don't see how he would ever have helped us much.

Good luck wherever you end up, DM.

I think this all goes to our D recruiting the last few years. We have been somewhat stocked with players that don't quite measure up to traditional Auburn standards. CWM is opening the windows and airing the D out.

I think Coach Muschamp has given each of his Defensive guys an honest and frank evaluation of their ability and how they fit into his defensive scheme and what they need to do to improve. There will be some who do not accept CWM's evaluation. Moving on is the best solution in some cases. We need unity with everyone on the same page.

I agree with Mikey. If you can't move up the depth chart after all the injuries in the secondary I guess it's time for both sides call it a day and have the player move on.

Once again I think our starters must be pretty good. Doesn't matter about all the injuries if the two guys ahead of you aren't part of the injury or depth concern. Corners getting hurt and leaving has nothing to do with a safety

Once again I think our starters must be pretty good. Doesn't matter about all the injuries if the two guys ahead of you aren't part of the injury or depth concern. Corners getting hurt and leaving has nothing to do with a safety

Injuries/suspensions to Whithead, Holsey and Jones mattered a lot last year, to both corner and safety.

This sucks, really thought he could have shined and laid the wood in a Muschamp defense. Going to miss him next year.

If you can't earn the starting safety job over Whitehead and you can't solidify yourself in the job when Whitehead gets suspended, that tells you something. Then, when the coaches move you to the front 7 in the Spring to try and get you on the field in a position that matches your skill set, that tells you even more. Good luck to him.

If you can't earn the starting safety job over Whitehead and you can't solidify yourself in the job when Whitehead gets suspended, that tells you something. Then, when the coaches move you to the front 7 in the Spring to try and get you on the field in a position that matches your skill set, that tells you even more. Good luck to him.

Agreed^^ if u can't beat out whitehead at safety, well that should tell u that maybe safety wasn't for u. It wasn't as if whitehead was an all American safety. Good luck to him anyway, he may turn out to be great elsewhere

Injuries/suspensions to Whithead, Holsey and Jones mattered a lot last year, to both corner and safety.

A guy playing who wants to start isn't sitting back hoping a guy gets suspended or hurt. He looks at it like he's a starter or not especially if he has one more year to play

Agreed^^ if u can't beat out whitehead at safety, well that should tell u that maybe safety wasn't for u. It wasn't as if whitehead was an all American safety. Good luck to him anyway, he may turn out to be great elsewhere

That was last year. Also you guys may not have liked whitehead but his playing time was never in question. They weren't going to replace him with ANYBODY. Now if you want to say he couldn't beat out Ford who was new to the position that would make sense. Then at the same I'm sure you could pull out a list of players who played behind people that are good. Jones was behind mincy and Hosely at one point of time....

A guy playing who wants to start isn't sitting back hoping a guy gets suspended or hurt. He looks at it like he's a starter or not especially if he has one more year to play

True, but it sounds like his JUCO rating created expectations for him that he still hasn't come to grips with.

snapback.pngIronMan70, on Today, 01:06 PM, said:

snapback.pngwar eagle6, on Today, 03:04 PM, said:

snapback.pngcole256, on Today, 04:05 PM, said:

That was last year. Also you guys may not have liked whitehead but his playing time was never in question. They weren't going to replace him with ANYBODY. Now if you want to say he couldn't beat out Ford who was new to the position that would make sense. Then at the same I'm sure you could pull out a list of players who played behind people that are good. Jones was behind mincy and Hosely at one point of time....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yah that was last year, and the movement to LB was this year, at Spring practice. The comment about beating out Whitehead has nothing to do with me not liking him and everything to do with my own assessment that Whitehead wasn't nearly as athletically gifted as Ford, hence the easier target. Sure, Whitehead had more experience than Ford but Ford was the only real speed we had back there.

DM who was a Junior should have been able to match JW's experience, sooner rather than later, and move him out of the way, most especially when JW's other issues negated all his experience. But if you want to say that he couldn't beat out either Whitehead OR Ford, I am fine with that too. He should have been able to at least solidify himself at the position of safety, but that didn't happen either.

This one hurts. I can understand Turner & Melton. I never thought either one of them were SEC DB's. But I was really hoping that Moncrief would finally give us that big safety. Or at least give us a big nickel back to use during certain packages. He also has the body to be a great Special Team guy for us. I understand if he wants to get playing time, but I hate losing guys with this much potential.

True, but it sounds like his JUCO rating created expectations for him that he still hasn't come to grips with.

I think his expectations were to start. Then Ford who's as gifted athletically as anyone you'll see at safety was alot better than ANYBODY thought he'd be in one year. Once again cam left Florida because he know myer was in love with the thought of playing Brantley after Tebow. He left and then chose a school where he figured he'd start at. There isn't anything wrong with that.

I think his expectations were to start. Then Ford who's as gifted athletically as anyone you'll see at safety was alot better than ANYBODY thought he'd be in one year. Once again cam left Florida because he know myer was in love with the thought of playing Brantley after Tebow. He left and then chose a school where he figured he'd start at. There isn't anything wrong with that.

correct

I think Urban picking Brantley over Cam is the biggest gaffe in Florida history. They could've had a serious dynasty if Urban could've transitioned from that SEC CG loss and last Tebow year to developing Cam as a full time starter. They would've had like 5 or so years of a Heisman caliber QB starting

I think Urban picking Brantley over Cam is the biggest gaffe in Florida history. They could've had a serious dynasty if Urban could've transitioned from that SEC CG loss and last Tebow year to developing Cam as a full time starter. They would've had like 5 or so years of a Heisman caliber QB starting

none of that has anything to do with Moncrief transfering. seems you are battling some thread confusion.

This one hurts. I can understand Turner & Melton. I never thought either one of them were SEC DB's. But I was really hoping that Moncrief would finally give us that big safety. Or at least give us a big nickel back to use during certain packages. He also has the body to be a great Special Team guy for us. I understand if he wants to get playing time, but I hate losing guys with this much potential.

Yeah, but it really hurts only on the expectation level more so than the actual production level. He really hasn't factored in to much so far and how much a role he would play in the upcoming season was still very much in doubt. To me, he is on the list with many others over the years who came in with high expectations, both for himself and the fan base, who just didn't pan out for whatever reason.

I said it right the first time, anybody with eyes could see ford had more talent than whitehead when it was announced he was going to be a safety. Whitehead may have had expierience at the position, but just like j holland was at linebacker, anybody with any type of athleticism could have beat him out. Unfortantly, we didn't have anyone to do that then, but we do now with tray matthews. And boy am I glad to have him on the team, just wish he would have been with us from the start. And it was a good thing for whitehead he wasn't, because if he had, whitehead would have been on the pine.

Whitehead wasn't going to sit down it's a shame that you can't see that. He was as cemented in as anybody could be at their position. We had plenty of safeties with athleticism if nothing else they would have let Hosely play. And lol at anybody with eyes could see Ford had more talent at safety when he was moved to safety. Whitehead wasn't as bad as you want him to be

Archived