Derrick Moncrief to Transfer

RunInRed

Jermaine's problem was not and is not his athleticism. Go look at his combine numbers. They're all respectable, especially his vert and broad jumps. He's got plenty of explosiveness and athleticism. His issues were slow recognition (which is how a deep safety gets beaten for a 99 yard TD... he wasn't to slow of foot; he was too slow of mind on that play) and an unwillingness to attack ball carriers. He had the ability to tackle, but he wasn't always willing to stick his nose in the fray and take a guy on. Those two flaws plus the nonsense with Ellis hurt Whitehead. It was never a lack of athleticism. That's silly.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jermaine's problem was not and is not his athleticism. Go look at his combine numbers. They're all respectable, especially his vert and broad jumps. He's got plenty of explosiveness and athleticism. His issues were slow recognition (which is how a deep safety gets beaten for a 99 yard TD... he wasn't to slow of foot; he was too slow of mind on that play) and an unwillingness to attack ball carriers. He had the ability to tackle, but he wasn't always willing to stick his nose in the fray and take a guy on. Those two flaws plus the nonsense with Ellis hurt Whitehead. It was never a lack of athleticism. That's silly.

i didn't remember him attending the combine. But I agree his angle to the ball was not very instinctive.

i didn't remember him attending the combine. But I agree his angle to the ball was not very instinctive.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2015/02/23/jermaine-whitehead-among-top-five-safeties-several-nfl-combine-tests/23910217/

Is the timing of this weird? I'm just surprised these didn't happen earlier, but maybe my memory is fuzzy on when it usually tends to happen. They've got all summer, I'm sure they'll be fine.

The timing is very normal, this happens every year at this time. Guys go through spring practice, don't move up the depth chart, think about it, finish the school term and transfer. Maybe the coaches have a heart-to-heart and explain there's not much playing time in their futures.

Unless he's graduated Moncrief will have to sit out a transfer year if he goes to another D-1 school. Really, with our situation in the D-backfield last season, if he couldn't make it big then I don't see how he would ever have helped us much.

Good luck wherever you end up, DM.

Thanks, Mikey. That makes me feel better.

It's unfortunate that it didn't work out for DM at Auburn, and I, too, wish him good luck.

Muschamp does a good job of keeping just enough players to field a good D. Not often does he have depth on his D. Last time he was here he left Rhodes a depleted team, the year after Rhodes there was little left.

Most recent example... Florida's whole team.

Well, that's not good for our future...............

http://www.montgomer...tests/23910217/

:thumbsup:

snapback.pngmcgufcm, on Yesterday, 09:46 PM, said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recognition, the same athletic skill that allows a baseball player to hit MLB pitching or a QB to read coverage, actually ranks highest on the athleticism list. It makes everything else go.

Without it, a player can be a "decent" athlete by comparison, until he plays the game. With it, a player with lower measurables in other areas, can compensate by having the ability to anticipate. It is also key in playing the position of safety. When you have both (recognition and high measurables in other areas) you have a Rudy Ford and you have something.

For the record and not speaking for the other guy, my own comment was about JW not being as athletic as Ford, in the context of DM's ability and/or inability to supplant one of them.

Muschamp does a good job of keeping just enough players to field a good D. Not often does he have depth on his D. Last time he was here he left Rhodes a depleted team, the year after Rhodes there was little left.

Muschamp was only at Auburn for 2 seasons before and- like now- he was a coordinator, not the HC. He didn't have a ton of control over the guys who were left for Rhoades (some of the guys who he did help recruit won a national championship in 2010). Also, he sent 4 guys to the NFL in the first 4 rounds of the draft before Rhoades got there. Not exactly football factory numbers, but not shabby given the overall state of Auburn recruiting at that point. Don't forget, that's right about when duck hunting became a popular topic of discussion among Auburn fans.

Florida put more players in the NFL last year than all but 2 other college teams in the country. That will hurt your depth and so will a coaching change. On top of that, a new coach who comes in working the media to temper expectations will color the perception of the roster. There's a legit issue at *offensive* line, but they're not in as bad of a shape as McElwain would have you believe.

While Muschamp was at Florida, they finished 12th (his first season), 3rd, 4th and 8th in recruiting according to Rivals. Along with TRob, he absolutely saved Auburn's 2015 recruiting class. His defenses at Florida- despite having no help from the offense for the entirety of his tenure- finished in the top 10 every year.

I don't see our defense having depth issues because of Muschamp.

I think Urban picking Brantley over Cam is the biggest gaffe in Florida history. They could've had a serious dynasty if Urban could've transitioned from that SEC CG loss and last Tebow year to developing Cam as a full time starter. They would've had like 5 or so years of a Heisman caliber QB starting

none of that has anything to do with Moncrief transfering. seems you are battling some thread confusion.

You could just as easy not reply to me friend.

snapback.pngmcgufcm, on Yesterday, 09:46 PM, said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recognition, the same athletic skill that allows a baseball player to hit MLB pitching or a QB to read coverage, actually ranks highest on the athleticism list. It makes everything else go.

Without it, a player can be a "decent" athlete by comparison, until he plays the game. With it, a player with lower measurables in other areas, can compensate by having the ability to anticipate. It is also key in playing the position of safety. When you have both (recognition and high measurables in other areas) you have a Rudy Ford and you have something.

For the record and not speaking for the other guy, my own comment was about JW not being as athletic as Ford, in the context of DM's ability and/or inability to supplant one of them.

This^^

Whitehead wasn't going to sit down it's a shame that you can't see that. He was as cemented in as anybody could be at their position. We had plenty of safeties with athleticism if nothing else they would have let Hosely play. And lol at anybody with eyes could see Ford had more talent at safety when he was moved to safety. Whitehead wasn't as bad as you want him to be

I may have worded athleticism in the wrong way and that's my fault because you obviously have to be an athlete to play any sport. How's this; his athletic drive and reaction time is slower or average for the safety position. Tray Matthews is a serious upgrade to whitehead, just sit back and watch his play at safety this year and I will be reminding you of that as the season goes on. WDE

Muschamp was only at Auburn for 2 seasons before and- like now- he was a coordinator, not the HC. He didn't have a ton of control over the guys who were left for Rhoades (some of the guys who he did help recruit won a national championship in 2010). Also, he sent 4 guys to the NFL in the first 4 rounds of the draft before Rhoades got there. Not exactly football factory numbers, but not shabby given the overall state of Auburn recruiting at that point. Don't forget, that's right about when duck hunting became a popular topic of discussion among Auburn fans.

Florida put more players in the NFL last year than all but 2 other college teams in the country. That will hurt your depth and so will a coaching change. On top of that, a new coach who comes in working the media to temper expectations will color the perception of the roster. There's a legit issue at *offensive* line, but they're not in as bad of a shape as McElwain would have you believe.

While Muschamp was at Florida, they finished 12th (his first season), 3rd, 4th and 8th in recruiting according to Rivals. Along with TRob, he absolutely saved Auburn's 2015 recruiting class. His defenses at Florida- despite having no help from the offense for the entirety of his tenure- finished in the top 10 every year.

I don't see our defense having depth issues because of Muschamp.

Please stop giving actual facts and statistics. That makes your argument logical. This is the place where fog is undeniable proof the sky is falling.

Very interesting note on Moncrief's transfer: Malzahn has released him to any Big 10 school, except Michigan. Bruce Feldman surmised that the Michigan exception may be payback for the satellite campus mess.

Whitehead wasn't going to sit down it's a shame that you can't see that. He was as cemented in as anybody could be at their position. We had plenty of safeties with athleticism if nothing else they would have let Hosely play. And lol at anybody with eyes could see Ford had more talent at safety when he was moved to safety. Whitehead wasn't as bad as you want him to be

I may have worded athleticism in the wrong way and that's my fault because you obviously have to be an athlete to play any sport. How's this; his athletic drive and reaction time is slower or average for the safety position. Tray Matthews is a serious upgrade to whitehead, just sit back and watch his play at safety this year and I will be reminding you of that as the season goes on. WDE

Why would you remind me of anything? You don't have to talk to me at all about trey or any other safety. Point is last year DM was beat out by Rudy, whitehead wasn't even looked at to fight for a position. The other stuff you talking about I don't have interest in

Very interesting note on Moncrief's transfer: Malzahn has released him to any Big 10 school, except Michigan. Bruce Feldman surmised that the Michigan exception may be payback for the satellite campus mess.

I hope this provokes a home-and-home series against Michigan!

Why would you remind me of anything? You don't have to talk to me at all about trey or any other safety. Point is last year DM was beat out by Rudy, whitehead wasn't even looked at to fight for a position. The other stuff you talking about I don't have interest in

Lol, when I said tray would have replaced whitehead at safety if he was able to play when he came to AU, this was your comment: Whitehead wasn't going to sit down. That's what I was going to remind you of, but Nevermind. As I've said before tray Matthews is an upgrade to whitehead

If Matthews had been eligible, our starters pre-suspension would've been him and Jermaine.

If Matthews had been eligible, our starters pre-suspension would've been him and Jermaine.

True. Don't know how that's so confusing

Lol, when I said tray would have replaced whitehead at safety if he was able to play when he came to AU, this was your comment: Whitehead wasn't going to sit down. That's what I was going to remind you of, but Nevermind. As I've said before tray Matthews is an upgrade to whitehead

There are two safety spots. He wouldn't have it would be him taking Rudy's spot

There are two safety spots. He wouldn't have it would be him taking Rudy's spot

lol, ok

Archived