Derrick Moncrief to Transfer

RunInRed

"I just want to play safety. That's what I'm supposed to be playing," Moncrief said when contacted by AuburnSports.com on Friday. "I can play in the box, I've done that and showed that I can be a versatile guy, but I feel like my best opportunities are at safety."

"Auburn has been good to me. I'm not mad at them at all," Moncrief said. "Coach (Muschamp) is a great guy. I've never had anything bad to say about him or Auburn or my brothers who played with me. It's just about what I want to do -- and I want to play safety."

https://auburn.rival...asp?CID=1766655

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some guys can only see the vision they have for themselves. He feels he is a safety and it doesn't sound like he wants to play any other position.

If Derrick wants to pay safety and Auburn doesn't want him at safety, I don't blame him at all. I wish him all the best. I just hope he will be happy somewhere else and won't regret his decision later on. He's looking out for himself and that's okay. But I truly admire those players that are all about what's best for the team.

If he's talking about opportunities at the next level, he's right. His only shot is at Safety. In that sense, I get it. He's not going to make the next level playing LB. He doesn't have Will Herring's frame. From a selfish standpoint, that's what I thought he could be for this team: 2006 Will Herring. I'm not entirely convinced he's a next level Safety, but he's not a next level LB. If we were hellbent on playing him at SLB and inflexible about his role this year, I understand why he's going.

I wish him all the best. I hope he finds a spot and makes the leap that he believes he's capable of making.

He could have worked his way into rotation.

This phrase is probably the reason he left

Work? Hard work? Ew.

I imagine as a former #1 safety, you'd probably want to start

From what it sounds, he wasn't even working for the position of safety anymore

It's like telling a guy that wanted to be an actor his whole time to become a janitor

Some guys can only see the vision they have for themselves. He feels he is a safety and it doesn't sound like he wants to play any other position.

Exactly. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. I bet Cam heard negative comments like these when he stated he was a qb and not a tight end

Work? Hard work? Ew.

It's like telling a guy that wanted to be an actor his whole time to become a janitor

It's EXACTLY like that.

Good luck to the young man. If he wants to play safety and needs to go to another school to do so then I hope he has success.

I appreciate his contributions to our team last year.

Well, maybe more like telling a guy that wanted to be an actor that he's going to be a production assistant. Same business, different jobs.

Hope he finds success but just wondering....as bad as our defense has been while he's been here....and he can't make an impact at Safety....curious as to how he is going to make the NFL at that position.

Could be wrong and guess leaving and playing S at some other school is his best bet..... but.....he's gonna miss being part of a special team this season....JMO.

Work? Hard work? Ew.

I imagine as a former #1 safety, you'd probably want to start

From what it sounds, he wasn't even working for the position of safety anymore

I was just kidding around, but yeah that analogy seems pretty spot on.

Dude was extremely slow for a safety. Hopefully the next guy who he's "willing to let coach him" can find a way around his speed...or lack thereof.

Work? Hard work? Ew.

It's EXACTLY like that.

Lol

Hope he finds success but just wondering....as bad as our defense has been while he's been here....and he can't make an impact at Safety....curious as to how he is going to make the NFL at that position.

Could be wrong and guess leaving and playing S at some other school is his best bet..... but.....he's gonna miss being part of a special team this season....JMO.

I just think the guys ahead of him are just better

Janitor at the theater?

I was going to say something about that but it sounds about right to the op's other posts

Muschamp does a good job of keeping just enough players to field a good D. Not often does he have depth on his D. Last time he was here he left Rhodes a depleted team, the year after Rhodes there was little left.

Most recent example... Florida's whole team.

He certainly was not going to start over Ford and Matthews at the safety position but he could have been a backup. I think Will and TRob were trying to move him somewhere where he had more of a chance to get on the field. If he didn't like that I don't blame him for wanting to go somewhere else.

Well, maybe more like telling a guy that wanted to be an actor that he's going to be a production assistant. Same business, different jobs.

The analogy is from one supporting role to another one-- still acting.

I wish Derrick the very best. If he ends up playing for an ACC team, I hope don't play that team.

The analogy is from one supporting role to another one-- still acting.

Yup. From backup supporting actor in the role of policeman to the backup supporting role of a fireman. Apparently he really wanted the policeman role so bad he is quitting and looking for another set to work on in hopes of landing that lifelong policeman dream role.

exactly my thoughts.

Archived