Auburn picked to win SEC

RunInRed

HOOVER, Ala. -- The competiveness of the Southeastern Conference was showcased in the annual media voting at SEC Media Days, as for the first time in the 23-year history in the poll, media were divided on divisional champion and overall SEC Champion. By a narrow margin, the Auburn Tigers were picked by media in attendance to capture the 2015 SEC Championship. Auburn received 96 SEC Championship votes, while the Alabama Crimson Tide was close behind with 80. The Georgia Bulldogs were third with 28 votes.

Alabama, however, was picked to win the SEC Western Division with 1,405 total points, while Auburn was second with 1,362. Alabama received 92 first-place votes in the West, while Auburn collected 108. The Crimson Tide won the Western Division vote due to receiving just three votes for fourth place or lower in the Western Division, while Auburn received 26 such votes. Points were awarded on a 7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scale.

Georgia was selected to win the SEC Eastern Division with 1,498 points, including 166 first-place votes. Tennessee was second with 1,231 points and 36 votes to win the division, while Missouri was third with 1,196 total points. The two-time defending East representative in the SEC Championship game also received 20 votes to win a third consecutive division title.

Five times since 1992 the SEC Media Days predicted champion has proceeded to win the SEC Championship, including Alabama last season.

The preseason All-SEC Team will be announced on Friday.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

http://www.secsports.com/article/13265853/auburn-picked-win-sec

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be wrong but people are way too high Arkansas this year imo. Bert likes to talk but I don't think his team will back up his tough talk.

Do I understand this? ...AU to win the championship but bama to win the West....guess that's the stuff you get from SEC's "homer" media who are probably mostly voting for their own teams first and then give their rivals a low vote to pull them down.

A good thing the championship is won on the field and not in the media.

I think the team we will have this year will be great, but there sure is an awful lot of hype on this squad.

I may be wrong but people are way too high Arkansas this year imo. Bert likes to talk but I don't think his team will back up his tough talk.

The team sure did last year, they just didn't have enough players to keep doing it all season long. The SEC is a meat grinder and I'm seeing more sausage.... pork sausage.... well done.

The team sure did last year, they just didn't have enough players to keep doing it all season long. The SEC is a meat grinder and I'm seeing more sausage.... pork sausage.... well done.

I agree that they played really well at the end of last season but they lost so many big contributors on defense. Plus I may be biased since I can't stand Arkansas. I hope they go winless.

I think the team we will have this year will be great, but there sure is an awful lot of hype on this squad.

My thoughts as well. I think we'll be solid but I'm really not sure I understand why there's quite so much hype behind this team. I look at the other teams in our division and every single one of them could realistically beat us.

My thoughts as well. I think we'll be solid but I'm really not sure I understand why there's quite so much hype behind this team. I look at the other teams in our division and every single one of them could realistically beat us.

That could be...but just about every team has major deficiencies...mostly at the QB slot ...and it's figured that AU's schedule this year is a plus...

And the hype has translated into a big number of nominations for national performance awards... so folks, not just in the SEC, must think AU is pretty loaded this year.

That could be...but just about every team has major deficiencies...mostly at the QB slot ...and it's figured that AU's schedule this year is a plus...

And the hype has translated into a big number of nominations for national performance awards... so folks, not just in the SEC, must think AU is pretty loaded this year.

Our rivals are getting put on watch lists as well. I realize JJ has all the tools to be successful but we don't really know what we have at the qb position either.

Our rivals are getting put on watch lists as well. I realize JJ has all the tools to be successful but we don't really know what we have at the qb position either.

I would say at this point we have a pretty good idea of what our QB can do, and I think the press feels they do as well. That is why we were picked to win the SEC.

I think the 2 main ingrediants for the media support of Auburn over the other teams is JJ and Boom. They see that as 2 key improvements added to the talent that was already there.

I think the 2 main ingrediants for the media support of Auburn over the other teams is JJ and Boom. They see that as 2 key improvements added to the talent that was already there.

That's true but I believe out OL and RBs are held in very high regard too.

I would say at this point we have a pretty good idea of what our QB can do, and I think the press feels they do as well. That is why we were picked to win the SEC.

He has started in just a couple games.. And only 1 of those is against a decent opponent. How will he play in cunch time? When it's a pivitol drive in the 4th quarter. He has not really proven anything. I think he'll be great, but everyone is saying that we are a championship team. I'm not buying that yet until the season starts.

Well considering we MAY have the best QB, WR, one of the top 5 RBS in the SEC (we can always run the ball), a good OL with Kozan, Lawson coming back, TM at safety, Countess transferring in, a great freshman class, the top O and D coaches in football, and a difficult but good home schedule, I would pick us as well.

Why not us??

I agree with chimesAU, to me this is the first year that there isn't one team in the west that is not capable of beating each other; especially at their place….if we beat LSU, TAM, Ark at their place (division) and KY, and win every conference game at home we will truly deserve the title...

He has started in just a couple games.. And only 1 of those is against a decent opponent. How will he play in cunch time? When it's a pivitol drive in the 4th quarter. He has not really proven anything. I think he'll be great, but everyone is saying that we are a championship team. I'm not buying that yet until the season starts.

I'm with Logan. Couldn't have said it better myself.

My expectations are high but are tempered by past seasons when we were highly rated pre-season but faltered down the stretch under the weight of an SEC schedule.

Not worried about JJ in crunch time as I don't expect crunch time! The cardiac kids have given us some exciting games since 2010 and we needed some clutch wins. But I just got a feeling, we role this year. Not saying we beat everyone by 40 points as this is the SEC and SEC West, but I am no thinking we need a last scoring drive on offense or to stop one on defense. Instead we are in a situation where we have the lead and just need to control the ball.

So plenty of the media picked Auburn to finish 4th or lower in the west. That's absurd. I certainly don't think Auburn is a lock to win the west, or the SEC (no one is). But to think Auburn will finish in the lower half of the West is ridiculous. I can only guess that those are the bamzosuckbutts in the stte of Alabama.

Not worried about JJ in crunch time as I don't expect crunch time! The cardiac kids have given us some exciting games since 2010 and we needed some clutch wins. But I just got a feeling, we role this year. Not saying we beat everyone by 40 points as this is the SEC and SEC West, but I am no thinking we need a last scoring drive on offense or to stop one on defense. Instead we are in a situation where we have the lead and just need to control the ball.

Wouldn't that be great! 15-0 and every game a snoozer.

That's true but I believe our OL and RBs are held in very high regard too.

Yes they are but that was part of my "talent that was already there". Savvy media people know the kind of talent on this team, on both sides of the ball.

We are 8th in the 2015 ESPN FPI, just saying, If you use their metrics UGA wins the conference.

We are 8th in the 2015 ESPN FPI, just saying, If you use their metrics UGA wins the conference.

And since we were picked to win the west enjoy this gem

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ohio-state-buckeyes-auburn-tigers-sec-starting-talent-test-071615

And since we were picked to win the west enjoy this gem

http://www.foxsports...ent-test-071615

Having cut the cable, I don't usually go there. So it's good to know FOX Sports is no better than FOX News.

Archived