Wall Street Journal

BigWhiskey91

I don't think it's just going to go away that easily. This involves the NCAA, who will want t know if Auburn is funneling athletes into a degree program that is designed to maintain their eligibility. This involves not just football players, but also basketball, baseball, softball, etc.

And it will draw the attention of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), which accredits the university as an academic institution. You'll remember, they put Auburn in probation for trustee meddling in university academics. Now you've got the Athletic Department meddling in academic affairs.

Offering money to keep a department that the university faculty had *unanimously* voted to disband was a really stupid thing for the Athletic Department (i.e., JAY JACOBS) to do. Really stupid. Unbelievably stupid.

This ^

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than public opinion, I see nothing wrong with the athletic dept. offering money to help fund a certain major. There was no problem when Pat Dye gave all the A-day income to the library.

Huge difference between giving money to the library vs. to an academic program that serves a high percentage of athletes.

Other than public opinion, I see nothing wrong with the athletic dept. offering money to help fund a certain major. There was no problem when Pat Dye gave all the A-day income to the library.

Huge difference between giving money to the library vs. to an academic program that serves a high percentage of athletes.

Did anyone bother to read the letter from the Provost...or are some folks just so hung up on their view that they are not going to let facts sway them?

Did anyone bother to read the letter from the Provost...or are some folks just so hung up on their view that they are not going to let facts sway them?

I don't get your point. What facts are you talking about? My post above has nothing to do with what Auburn did or didn't do.

My concern is the offer by the AD to supplement the program's budget, which the provost's letter didn't address:

From the WSJ article:

In addition to meeting with the school’s provost to urge him to spare public administration, the documents show, top athletic officials also offered to use athletic department funds, if necessary, to help pay its professors and support staff. Gary Waters, Auburn’s senior associate athletic director for academic services, wrote in an email in January 2013 that athletics had made “similar investments in academic programs during the last few years,” although in those cases, he added, “it has not been publicized.”

From the AL.com article:

Auburn confirmed to the Journal that athletic department officials offered to subsidize the public administration program during a meeting with Boosinger, but the provost turned the offer down.

I would have hoped that our AD and his staff would be a little more savvy than to make such an offer.

Jay Jacobs' statement as reported today was embarrassing. Totally clueless unless it was a power play. He should be reprimanded.

Not sure why someone hasn't just given Jacobs a teleprompter that he can simply stand there and read prepared statements. Maybe following the reading (if needed) he can then have a spokesmen take and answer questions for him.

Archived