Driving while black

TitanTiger

I think the case that police have stressful jobs that can lead to mistakes is obvious. Just search [police psychological problems].

It's also true that the nature of the job - exerting authority with lethal capacity - attracts people with personality problems. Search [police personality traits].

These problems are often manifested in their personal lives, such as spousal abuse. Search [police spousal abuse].

Bottom line, a lot of attention needs to be paid to hiring the sort of people who are psychologically adjusted to handle the job. And the ones who make good LEO's need to be compensated appropriately. Given the nature of the job (civil employees) this is often a challenge.

But the job is what it is. Stress or job demands should never be used as an excuse for inappropriate use of force. And we as a society have the responsibility to ensure that it isn't.

This sometimes requires us to distinguish an "honest" mistake from an action that is pathologically and/or criminal in nature. Some of these incidents that are getting filmed clearly qualify as the latter. Making a "big deal" out of it is not "hating cops". Just the opposite. And it's our duty as citizens to make it a big deal.

Well stated Homes. :thumbsup:

Indeed AUFAN. What would you conclude from Homer's statements?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the case that police have stressful jobs that can lead to mistakes is obvious. Just search [police psychological problems].

It's also true that the nature of the job - exerting authority with lethal capacity - attracts people with personality problems. Search [police personality traits].

These problems are often manifested in their personal lives, such as spousal abuse. Search [police spousal abuse].

Bottom line, a lot of attention needs to be paid to hiring the sort of people who are psychologically adjusted to handle the job. And the ones who make good LEO's need to be compensated appropriately. Given the nature of the job (civil employees) this is often a challenge.

But the job is what it is. Stress or job demands should never be used as an excuse for inappropriate use of force. And we as a society have the responsibility to ensure that it isn't.

This sometimes requires us to distinguish an "honest" mistake from an action that is pathologically and/or criminal in nature. Some of these incidents that are getting filmed clearly qualify as the latter. Making a "big deal" out of it is not "hating cops". Just the opposite. And it's our duty as citizens to make it a big deal.

I could write a book........but briefly screening, adequate counseling, training and something I've been a proponent of for quite some time, body cams.

I could write a book........but briefly screening, adequate counseling, training and something I've been a proponent of for quite some time, body cams.

By all means, write the book. I think it stands within reason that no one in this forum is in that much of a hurry.

Knowing that the next argument will be that theses two examples don't equate, I suppose I will state what you already know.

Just as I can't tell a minority that their plight isn't a big deal, (because I'm not one), a person that isn't a cop doesn't have any business telling a cop how to do his job.

I thought you guys had degrees. That wasn't that hard to unpack.

Man you are really digging yourself into a logical pit.

You don't have to be a criminal or crazy to to recognize criminal or insane behavior.

Timely, but still late, arrival Homer.

Jeez, I've got a life. :gofig:

You lie, like a cheap Persian rug.

Damn. Can't pull one over you. :no:

Must have been my post count, huh?

By all means, write the book. I think it stands within reason that no one in this forum is in that much of a hurry.

If I write the book they had better not be in a hurry. ;D

I will add that Homer's last statement "This sometimes requires us to distinguish an "honest" mistake from an action that is pathologically and/or criminal in nature. Some of these incidents that are getting filmed clearly qualify as the latter. Making a "big deal" out of it is not "hating cops". Just the opposite. And it's our duty as citizens to make it a big deal." is where those among us mistake accountability with hating cops or trying to tell cops how to do their job. Listen, I very much appreciate LEO's. Doesn't mean I don't hold them accountable. Having stated that, I think making a big deal out of issues that aren't necessarily black and white cause concern and problems. For example this particular OP. I have absolutely no problem with a cop pulling over a suspicious vehicle. Happened to me a couple months ago in Mobile. I did not film the encounter, didn't post it on YouTube, etc. Coincidentally, the officer gave me a bogus excuse for pulling me over too. What did I do? Nothing. I dealt with it by simply understanding the guy was doing his job.

I think his post is a reflection of having lived the life of an officer of the law. Do the job for awhile and come back to us in a couple of years.....

You could also imagine walking in the shoes of a minority.....especially in this area

Living as a minority is no different than living as anyone else. It's all perception.

No disrespect but that's the dumbest thing you've ever said to me

I don't know, so this is purely hypothetical but maybe the person posted it because they have been repeatedly targeted or something like that. I know I'm at my nerves end because of the culmination of my experiences throughout life.

I will add that Homer's last statement "This sometimes requires us to distinguish an "honest" mistake from an action that is pathologically and/or criminal in nature. Some of these incidents that are getting filmed clearly qualify as the latter. Making a "big deal" out of it is not "hating cops". Just the opposite. And it's our duty as citizens to make it a big deal." is where those among us mistake accountability with hating cops or trying to tell cops how to do their job. Listen, I very much appreciate LEO's. Doesn't mean I don't hold them accountable. Having stated that, I think making a big deal out of issues that aren't necessarily black and white cause concern and problems. For example this particular OP. I have absolutely no problem with a cop pulling over a suspicious vehicle. Happened to me a couple months ago in Mobile. I did not film the encounter, didn't post it on YouTube, etc. Coincidentally, the officer gave me a bogus excuse for pulling me over too. What did I do? Nothing. I dealt with it by simply understanding the guy was doing his job.

This

I think his post is a reflection of having lived the life of an officer of the law. Do the job for awhile and come back to us in a couple of years.....

You could also imagine walking in the shoes of a minority.....especially in this area

Living as a minority is no different than living as anyone else. It's all perception.

It's not dumb, it was stated to make a valid point, which flew a mile above everyone's head.

It's not dumb, it was stated to make a valid point, which flew a mile above everyone's head.

If it "flew above everyone's head" perhaps the problem is with the statement. Apparently, it didn't reflect what you intended.

If it "flew above everyone's head" perhaps the problem is with the statement. Apparently, it didn't reflect what you intended.

If you had been following the narrative, it would have been easy to pick up on.

If you had been following the narrative, it would have been easy to pick up on.

Right. Which is why nobody did. :-\

Laziness. On your part.

Well, apparently, on everyone's part. :-\

But you're right. I am not going to make an effort to understand someone's cryptic writing. It's the writer's responsibility to make their point clear, especially if requested to do so. Lazy indeed. :no:

Let one cop go wrong and the whole world will go crazy and all but condemn all cops. Let a cop get killed and its a giant shrug and yawn.

Perhaps it is important to know that the "good guys" really are "good guys".

Maybe I shouldn't write a book. Only one consenting view on the preface? Did not meet the agenda? Stry? Anyone? :dunno:

Maybe I shouldn't write a book. Only one consenting view on the preface? Did not meet the agenda? Stry? Anyone? :dunno:

Yais?

Yais?

:no:

Yais?

What are you asking me? You have paid attention enough to know I have no issue with engaging in discussion.

Yais?

What are you asking me? You have paid attention enough to know I have no issue with engaging in discussion.

What would you conclude from my post?

Yais?

What would you conclude from my post?

That we agree in the first half and disagree in the second.

Archived