Driving while black

TitanTiger

I will add that Homer's last statement "This sometimes requires us to distinguish an "honest" mistake from an action that is pathologically and/or criminal in nature. Some of these incidents that are getting filmed clearly qualify as the latter. Making a "big deal" out of it is not "hating cops". Just the opposite. And it's our duty as citizens to make it a big deal." is where those among us mistake accountability with hating cops or trying to tell cops how to do their job. Listen, I very much appreciate LEO's. Doesn't mean I don't hold them accountable. Having stated that, I think making a big deal out of issues that aren't necessarily black and white cause concern and problems. For example this particular OP. I have absolutely no problem with a cop pulling over a suspicious vehicle. Happened to me a couple months ago in Mobile. I did not film the encounter, didn't post it on YouTube, etc. Coincidentally, the officer gave me a bogus excuse for pulling me over too. What did I do? Nothing. I dealt with it by simply understanding the guy was doing his job.

Maybe I shouldn't write a book. Only one consenting view on the preface? Did not meet the agenda? Stry? Anyone? :dunno:

Yais?

:no:

What are you asking me? You have paid attention enough to know I have no issue with engaging in discussion.

What would you conclude from my post?

That we agree in the first half and disagree in the second.

Please expound on the second.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will add that Homer's last statement "This sometimes requires us to distinguish an "honest" mistake from an action that is pathologically and/or criminal in nature. Some of these incidents that are getting filmed clearly qualify as the latter. Making a "big deal" out of it is not "hating cops". Just the opposite. And it's our duty as citizens to make it a big deal." is where those among us mistake accountability with hating cops or trying to tell cops how to do their job. Listen, I very much appreciate LEO's. Doesn't mean I don't hold them accountable. Having stated that, I think making a big deal out of issues that aren't necessarily black and white cause concern and problems. For example this particular OP. I have absolutely no problem with a cop pulling over a suspicious vehicle. Happened to me a couple months ago in Mobile. I did not film the encounter, didn't post it on YouTube, etc. Coincidentally, the officer gave me a bogus excuse for pulling me over too. What did I do? Nothing. I dealt with it by simply understanding the guy was doing his job.

Maybe I shouldn't write a book. Only one consenting view on the preface? Did not meet the agenda? Stry? Anyone? :dunno:

Yais?

What are you asking me? You have paid attention enough to know I have no issue with engaging in discussion.

I do not agree with pulling people over for "suspicion" or the frequent law enforcement tactic of tailgating until you break some random traffic law, like not signaling a turn within 100 feet, just so they can engage their fishing expedition. This is supposed to be "the land of the free", not the land of security, or the land of law enforcement. Perhaps I took that line of the Star-Spangled Banner too seriously. This country was founded on the premise of armed resistance in the face of unjust law enforcement; it was absolutely not founded on the premise of roadblocks, obey the law or else, or "suspicion". I've been pulled over as "suspicious" too, and one of them led to me spending a week in jail for doing something that was completely legal. I am far from alone even in my local area. Do I oppose law enforcement in general? No, I do not. I recognize the current ubiquity of law enforcement as the end result of our failed War on Drugs; they are people doing the job they have been directed to do.

Strychine, you da real MVP.

I was a touring musician surrounded by drug addicts and hounded incessantly by the police in multiple states. If I'm the MVP, we've got serious problems.

Yais?

I do not agree with pulling people over for "suspicion" or the frequent law enforcement tactic of tailgating until you break some random traffic law, like not signaling a turn within 100 feet, just so they can engage their fishing expedition. This is supposed to be "the land of the free", not the land of security, or the land of law enforcement. Perhaps I took that line of the Star-Spangled Banner too seriously. This country was founded on the premise of armed resistance in the face of unjust law enforcement; it was absolutely not founded on the premise of roadblocks, obey the law or else, or "suspicion". I've been pulled over as "suspicious" too, and one of them led to me spending a week in jail for doing something that was completely legal. I am far from alone even in my local area. Do I oppose law enforcement in general? No, I do not. I recognize the current ubiquity of law enforcement as the end result of our failed War on Drugs; they are people doing the job they have been directed to do.

Yep, you were right. We disagree on the second. But I am going to work hard to bring you around. ;)

Maybe I shouldn't write a book. Only one consenting view on the preface? Did not meet the agenda? Stry? Anyone? :dunno:/>

Yais?

:no:/>

how were you held a week for nothing

Since I tend to have firearms in my vehicle, including some "odd" ones, I generally find it good policy to answer honestly when an officer asks if I have any weapons in the vehicle. In this case, I answered that I had a pistol in the locked glove compartment and a pocket knife in the center console. Both were completely legal with or without a Georgia Weapons License (which I did not have at the time). The arresting officer was apparently unaware of the law and charged me with carrying a concealed weapon. During booking at the decrepit county jail, I was informed that I could not post bond and must go before a judge. It was a holiday weekend, and the judge was on vacation. This was a Friday evening. The nearest court appearance was Tuesday of the next week. Fortunately, the Sheriff returned from his own vacation the following Thursday and caught the commotion my parents were making on my behalf. Upon reviewing the charge, he noticed his deputy's ignorance, dropped it, and I was released. No apology for the error or the time lost due to it, just "here's your gun back".

EDIT to trim quotes and add: I forgot to mention that the front bumper of my GTO was also damaged when they towed it. My insurance had to fix that one, they would not.

Since I tend to have firearms in my vehicle, including some "odd" ones, I generally find it good policy to answer honestly when an officer asks if I have any weapons in the vehicle. In this case, I answered that I had a pistol in the locked glove compartment and a pocket knife in the center console. Both were completely legal with or without a Georgia Weapons License (which I did not have at the time). The arresting officer was apparently unaware of the law and charged me with carrying a concealed weapon. During booking at the decrepit county jail, I was informed that I could not post bond and must go before a judge. It was a holiday weekend, and the judge was on vacation. This was a Friday evening. The nearest court appearance was Tuesday of the next week. Fortunately, the Sheriff returned from his own vacation the following Thursday and caught the commotion my parents were making on my behalf. Upon reviewing the charge, he noticed his deputy's ignorance, dropped it, and I was released. No apology for the error or the time lost due to it, just "here's your gun back".

EDIT to trim quotes and add: I forgot to mention that the front bumper of my GTO was also damaged when they towed it. My insurance had to fix that one, they would not.

I get this is off topic... but wth is an "odd" firearm? I'm thinking muzzle loaded muskets... but I'm not sure. or maybe a gag pistol that's barrel points back at the shooter.

Automatic weapons, short-barreled rifles. In that context, "odd" means not commonly seen. Many people, sometimes including cops, are not aware that one can legally own automatic weapons.

I get this is off topic... but wth is an "odd" firearm? I'm thinking muzzle loaded muskets... but I'm not sure. or maybe a gag pistol that's barrel points back at the shooter.

Automatic weapons, short-barreled rifles. In that context, "odd" means not commonly seen. Many people, sometimes including cops, are not aware that one can legally own automatic weapons.

Aren't they insanely expensive? I looked into buying an M16A2 before, not civilian model but the same as used by the US Army. It is legal, but I couldn't find a way to pay less than 12-14k.

Aren't they insanely expensive? I looked into buying an M16A2 before, not civilian model but the same as used by the US Army. It is legal, but I couldn't find a way to pay less than 12-14k.

Indeed, as the supply is limited to automatic weapons registered prior to May 1986. Dealers can own automatic weapons manufactured after that, but they can only sell them to other dealers or manufacturers.

that s*** happens. It shouldn't but does. My mother is the jail administrator in our county. I never heard of anyone locked up that long here but my wife knows a guy who moved to Birmingham. He got stopped for some traffic bs. Ran his license and found a warrant for failure to show for a traffic ticket here. They transported him locked him up. Then upon farther investigation (the next morning) they realized it was a mistake in the court system somehow that he did pay the fine . it had been 2 or 3 years and thought he paid it but didn't remember for sure. He spent nearly 24 hours in custody and had to find himself a way back home 100 or so miles. Mom is also responsible for getting inmates from jail to court and back pretty much five days a week. Sometimes judges offices, clerks or court processors get crossed up and release the wrong inmates too. These things don't happen very often here but sucks dirt when you are the one it happens to i guess.

that s*** happens. It shouldn't but does. My mother is the jail administrator in our county. I never heard of anyone locked up that long here but my wife knows a guy who moved to Birmingham. He got stopped for some traffic bs. Ran his license and found a warrant for failure to show for a traffic ticket here. They transported him locked him up. Then upon farther investigation (the next morning) they realized it was a mistake in the court system somehow that he did pay the fine . it had been 2 or 3 years and thought he paid it but didn't remember for sure. He spent nearly 24 hours in custody and had to find himself a way back home 100 or so miles. Mom is also responsible for getting inmates from jail to court and back pretty much five days a week. Sometimes judges offices, clerks or court processors get crossed up and release the wrong inmates too. These things don't happen very often here but sucks dirt when you are the one it happens to i guess.

That was the most infuriating part of it: the casual attitude of "s*** happens" from the Sheriff, jail officers, and deputies in simply dismissing it like it was no big deal. It was a big deal.

I was locked in a small cell for 23 hours of every day for a week. I was fed rubbish food. The shower and toilet were filthy. The rubbish food made the regular use of that filthy toilet a necessity. There was a TV tuned to TBS in the hall that provided something other than silence, but the only way it could be seen was to press your face to the bars of the small opening in the door. I got one phone call during booking, and was unable to receive visits. I had no idea what was going on relative to my situation. People that have been convicted of crimes including murder are not even subjected to those conditions in prison, unless they do something to get themselves put in solitary confinement. Here I was, innocent and completely cooperative.

It is a soul-crushing experience when you know the only reason you are in such a predicament is that a law enforcement officer was ignorant of the law, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it except hope that a judge realizes that whenever you get to see one. Since I only received one phone call, I had no idea if I still had a job whenever this situation was sorted out, or even if it would be sorted out. Fortunately, my parents explained the situation to my employer.

It changed my perspective permanently, and in a very negative way in the short term. For at least a few months after that, if anyone had tried to pull me over, I would have ran. I would have fought anyone that attempted to arrest me and return me to that place. Regardless of whether they are right or wrong, I can certainly understand where some people are coming from when they run from the cops or resist arrest. For the months that it took me to get over it, I would have been one of them.

That was the most infuriating part of it: the casual attitude of "s*** happens" from the Sheriff, jail officers, and deputies in simply dismissing it like it was no big deal. It was a big deal.

I was locked in a small cell for 23 hours of every day for a week. I was fed rubbish food. The shower and toilet were filthy. The rubbish food made the regular use of that filthy toilet a necessity. There was a TV tuned to TBS in the hall that provided something other than silence, but the only way it could be seen was to press your face to the bars of the small opening in the door. I got one phone call during booking, and was unable to receive visits. I had no idea what was going on relative to my situation. People that have been convicted of crimes including murder are not even subjected to those conditions in prison, unless they do something to get themselves put in solitary confinement. Here I was, innocent and completely cooperative.

It is a soul-crushing experience when you know the only reason you are in such a predicament is that a law enforcement officer was ignorant of the law, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it except hope that a judge realizes that whenever you get to see one. Since I only received one phone call, I had no idea if I still had a job whenever this situation was sorted out, or even if it would be sorted out. Fortunately, my parents explained the situation to my employer.

It changed my perspective permanently, and in a very negative way in the short term. For at least a few months after that, if anyone had tried to pull me over, I would have ran. I would have fought anyone that attempted to arrest me and return me to that place. Regardless of whether they are right or wrong, I can certainly understand where some people are coming from when they run from the cops or resist arrest. For the months that it took me to get over it, I would have been one of them.

And if killed some on this board would shrug and say stuff happens. You don't know why a person may get nervous with policemen at times and then they use that nervousness as a reason to say you're suspicious....

I had a situation similar to the one alexava described when I was coming home from Auburn driving through Alexander City. Locked up that day and was one of the scariest experiences I've had. I was in holding with dudes that started fighting they were arrested for all type of things.

never heard of anyone being held for a week on a charge like that. No excuse for it. Someone should be fired.

I think the case that police have stressful jobs that can lead to mistakes is obvious. Just search [police psychological problems].

It's also true that the nature of the job - exerting authority with lethal capacity - attracts people with personality problems. Search [police personality traits].

These problems are often manifested in their personal lives, such as spousal abuse. Search [police spousal abuse].

Bottom line, a lot of attention needs to be paid to hiring the sort of people who are psychologically adjusted to handle the job. And the ones who make good LEO's need to be compensated appropriately. Given the nature of the job (civil employees) this is often a challenge.

But the job is what it is. Stress or job demands should never be used as an excuse for inappropriate use of force. And we as a society have the responsibility to ensure that it isn't.

This sometimes requires us to distinguish an "honest" mistake from an action that is pathological and/or criminal in nature. Some of these incidents that are getting filmed clearly qualify as the latter. Making a "big deal" out of it is not "hating cops". Just the opposite. And it's our duty as citizens to make it a big deal.

That is bull****. I had no pychological "problems" and most LEO DON'T, if they did/do they generally get weeded out through hiring process, I don't have personality problem, most DON'T have personality "problems", and I don't think MOST beat their spouse.

The job might attract a type of personality, but to classify those things as "problems" is just trying to stoke the fires and make things out like there is some MASS problem in LE. It's absurd to jump off that ledge.

There IS a higher level of divorce and suicide among LEO, as is PTSD, which is the most likely cause of the behaviors. It is commonly held that an LEO will develop their cynicism tendencies within a year of coming on the job. Basically, when you are dealing with the worst of the worst, scum of humanity, death, seeing the way people treat each other you get that way. No way you understand it. But to try to lump all together as "problems" is asinine.

I'm not saying that there aren't some like that, but you make it sound like their is some mass epidemic of psychos with personality disorders who beat their spouse all the time. Some, very few, might be criminal, but it is not the "problem" that some on here make it out to be.

IF you think that it is that big a deal, then you should be all falling over yourself regarding crimes against children, black on black crime, Hispanic on Hispanic crime, etc. which have higher rates of occurrence. I know, I know, LEO should held higher standard, while I don't completely disagree, it seems that most are ignoring the bigger issues to zero in on their or others agendas focusing on a "problem" that happens so rarely you likely have better odds of winning the lottery.

As I've said, if LEO commits a crime or makes a mistake they SHOULD be held accountable.

1787, what happened there to your family was very wrong. Not all systems are like that, but that crap does happen just like in business world unfortunately. I'm sorry that happened to your family.

I think the case that police have stressful jobs that can lead to mistakes is obvious. Just search [police psychological problems].

It's also true that the nature of the job - exerting authority with lethal capacity - attracts people with personality problems. Search [police personality traits].

These problems are often manifested in their personal lives, such as spousal abuse. Search [police spousal abuse].

Bottom line, a lot of attention needs to be paid to hiring the sort of people who are psychologically adjusted to handle the job. And the ones who make good LEO's need to be compensated appropriately. Given the nature of the job (civil employees) this is often a challenge.

But the job is what it is. Stress or job demands should never be used as an excuse for inappropriate use of force. And we as a society have the responsibility to ensure that it isn't.

This sometimes requires us to distinguish an "honest" mistake from an action that is pathological and/or criminal in nature. Some of these incidents that are getting filmed clearly qualify as the latter. Making a "big deal" out of it is not "hating cops". Just the opposite. And it's our duty as citizens to make it a big deal.

That is bull****. I had no pychological "problems" and most LEO DON'T, if they did/do they generally get weeded out through hiring process, I don't have personality problem, most DON'T have personality "problems", and I don't think MOST beat their spouse.

The job might attract a type of personality, but to classify those things as "problems" is just trying to stoke the fires and make things out like there is some MASS problem in LE. It's absurd to jump off that ledge.

There IS a higher level of divorce and suicide among LEO, as is PTSD, which is the most likely cause of the behaviors. It is commonly held that an LEO will develop their cynicism tendencies within a year of coming on the job. Basically, when you are dealing with the worst of the worst, scum of humanity, death, seeing the way people treat each other you get that way. No way you understand it. But to try to lump all together as "problems" is asinine.

I'm not saying that there aren't some like that, but you make it sound like their is some mass epidemic of psychos with personality disorders who beat their spouse all the time. Some, very few, might be criminal, but it is not the "problem" that some on here make it out to be.

IF you think that it is that big a deal, then you should be all falling over yourself regarding crimes against children, black on black crime, Hispanic on Hispanic crime, etc. which have higher rates of occurrence. I know, I know, LEO should held higher standard, while I don't completely disagree, it seems that most are ignoring the bigger issues to zero in on their or others agendas focusing on a "problem" that happens so rarely you likely have better odds of winning the lottery.

As I've said, if LEO commits a crime or makes a mistake they SHOULD be held accountable.

1787, what happened there to your family was very wrong. Not all systems are like that, but that crap does happen just like in business world unfortunately. I'm sorry that happened to your family.

Well, you seem to be getting rather angry for no reason whatsoever...... Your personal case alone proves nothing one way or the other.

Regardless, your argument is not with me, it's with the folks that have published research in the field.

Archived