Gov. Bentley's wife files for divorce

RunInRed

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, the mental picture of that hotty going down on Bentley just ruined my brain. :puke:

No kidding!! She is way too young and hot for that old fart.

Okay, the mental picture of that hotty going down on Bentley just ruined my brain. :puke:

Yeah, I could have gone all day (or really, my entire lifetime!) without the image of a Simpsons' Montgomery Burns look-alike or the creepy old man from Poltergeist II having sex. :no:

• 6 months later...
Alabama needs a governor, but right now it doesn't have one.

Sure, Robert Bentley holds the office and on Wednesday he said he had not even considered resigning, no matter the scandal that has caught his administration by the ankle like a bear trap.

However, that's not the same as Alabama having someone who can wield that office like a baseball bat against the ribs of the Alabama Legislature. That's what Alabama needs right now.

Instead it has a governor who can't hold a press conference without being asked why he would talk on a tape about fondling his senior political adviser's breasts.

It has a governor whose best political defense in a sex scandal is that he liked to talk dirty but that was it.

It has a governor who is being accused of trying to sabotage political corruption investigations, including the prosecution of Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard.

It has a governor who will be called on soon, if not by the time you read this, to resign.

It has a governor who, in a very Bill Clinton fashion, had to stand in front of a gaggle of reporters in the Alabama capitol basement and argue that he'd never had a physical relationship with Rebekah Caldwell Mason.

When the governor says "I have never done anything illegal," what everyone hears is "You can't prove I broke the law."

On Wednesday, while reporters rushed from one press conference about the Bentley affair scandal to another, the Alabama Legislature was tidying up the State House so they could get home from spring break.

But before they left, they made sure they could do what damage they could to Alabama. The Alabama Senate voted to concur with an atrocious austerity budget that leaves a $85 million hole in Medicaid, in addition to other departments being cut.

Medicaid officials have said that the state's contribution is already so low that the Legislature's budget jeopardizes the program.

Medicaid, no matter if anyone likes it, is the backbone of health care in Alabama, providing coverage for more than 1 million people, more than half of them children. That program pays for more than half of live births in Alabama.

That's what's on the line, and in another world, Alabama has a governor to stand up to them.

Bentley has promised to veto that budget unless lawmakers close that gap.

On Wednesday, though, they all but thumbed their noses at the governor as they loaded up in their cars for a week at the beach.

Already in Alabama, that office holds a meager modicum of power. The Legislature can override the governor's veto with a simple majority, and they will if he sends this budget back to them. Bentley has promised that, if they do override the budget veto, he will call them back for a special session, maybe multiple special sessions, until they do right by Medicaid.

That, however, takes political capital.

Meanwhile, the governor's political adviser Mason lashed out at the state's former top cop, whose termination she orchestrated, all but calling him a sexist pig.

"There is no way that man would have said what he did today about another man," Mason said in a press release. "He only said what he said about my professional abilities because I am a Woman. His comments were clear, demonstrated gender bias."

Let that sink in for a second.

Her boss talks dirty to her behind closed doors?

That's somehow appropriate, and even the governor today said she never asked him to stop.

But a law enforcement officer she got fired accuses her of obstructing justice?

That's what passes for sexism?

Don't play that card. Not now. It's too late in the game for that. Go wash your hands, Lady Macbeth.

Ultimately, though, it might not matter whether the governor had sexual relations with that woman.

Because now he's politically impotent.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/03/alabama_needed_a_governor_toda.html

New Governor getting ready..........

http://yellowhammernews.com/politics-2/lt-governors-office-has-been-preparing-for-possible-bentley-resignation-for-months/

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — Alabama Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey and a close circle of advisers are mapping out a transition plan in case Gov. Robert Bentley is compelled to resign from office, according to multiple Yellowhammer sources. The planning began in earnest last summer in the wake of Dianne Bentley, the governor’s wife of 50 years, filing for divorce.

After several months of relative quiet, the Lt. Governor’s office is back in preparation mode after audio surfaced of Governor Bentley having a romantic conversation with his senior advisor, Rebekah Mason.

Yellowhammer was given exclusive access to the content of audio recordings captured by Mrs. Bentley in which Governor Bentley makes sexual advances on and recalls sexual encounters with Rebekah Mason, his former communications director turn senior advisor. Mrs. Mason’s husband, Jon, also serves in the Bentley administration as Director of Serve Alabama, the Governor’s Office of Faith-Based and Volunteer Service.

One of the recordings was captured while the Bentleys were visiting their beach house.

Mrs. Bentley, who had suspected the affair, went for a walk on the beach, but left her cell phone behind recording the audio of what took place in her absence.

During that time period, Governor Bentley can be heard making a phone call to “Rebekah” that includes sexual references to their time together.

“You know what, when I stand behind you, and I put my arms around you and I put my hands on your breasts, and I put my head (inaudible), and pull you real close, hey, I love that, too — putting my hands under your shirt,” Governor Bentley can be heard saying.

“I love you. I love to talk to you,” he continues. “Baby, let me tell you what we’re going to have to start doing, we’re going to have to start locking the door. If we are going to do what we did the other day, we are going to have to start locking the door.”

Numerous sources told Yellowhammer last year that there was a widespread belief that the Bentley-Mason affair could go public and lead to the Governor having to step down.

“No one really knows what’s going on across the street (in the Capitol), but it would be dereliction of duty if the Lt. Governor’s office wasn’t making sure they are prepared,” one longtime Montgomery politico told Yellowhammer at the time. “The conversations I have been privy to have centered on filling out a staff and cabinet — continuity of government stuff. I’d assume some of the agency heads would stay in place, but other slots may need to be filled quickly.”

One state legislator with knowledge of the Lt. Governor’s operation said her current chief of staff Steve Pelham would likely continue in the same role in her administration.

“She’s leaning heavily on Steve right now,” the legislator said. “He’s quarterbacking a lot of the preparation. It’s being done quietly, but it’s definitely happening.”

Pelham has been a staple in Alabama politics for decades. His experience includes stints working for McCain-Palin 2008, Bush-Cheney 2004 and the National Advance Team for former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich. He also managed each of Congressman Terry Everett’s campaigns between 1992 and 2000 and was his congressional office’s state director. Pelham has been in his current role with Lt. Gov. Ivey since she took office in 2011.

Another individual who insiders say would play a central role in Ivey’s administration is Will Sellers, an attorney with powerhouse law firm Balch and Bingham. Sellers is a partner in the firm’s Montgomery office and has been involved in politics for years advising state and local officeholders on campaign finance issues.

“He’s always been close to (Lt. Gov. Ivey),” explained a longtime state lobbyist. “He administered the oath of office when she was sworn in. A lot of people down here believe he’d be running the show as an external adviser or on loan from Balch.”

Man, married 50 years and can't make it another day. Wow.

What would 1 more day accomplish ?

I predict governor Dr. Bentley will be indicted within 30 days of Seigleman being pardoned.

why would anyone pardon the Don and what has Bentley done that makes you think he would be indicted? I am genuinely curious. I haven't heard of any misdeeds on his part.

You should visit al.com and listen to Spencer Collier's 30 minute pressed. I am not for or against a Siegleman pardon but have a hunch he will get one.

I predict governor Dr. Bentley will be indicted within 30 days of Seigleman being pardoned.

why would anyone pardon the Don and what has Bentley done that makes you think he would be indicted? I am genuinely curious. I haven't heard of any misdeeds on his part.

Supposedly trying coerces someone to lie to the Alabama attorney general. Serious stuff.

I believe him when he says, he did not break the law, he did not have a physical affair. He is a family values conservative.

"if you are not a Christian, you are not my brother "

You should visit al.com and listen to Spencer Collier's 30 minute pressed. I am not for or against a Siegleman pardon but have a hunch he will get one.

Thanks. I'll check it out. As for the Don, it's no problem to me if he is pardoned. I don't look for it. We'll see how it shakes out.

Archived