Gov. Bentley's wife files for divorce

RunInRed

I believe him when he says, he did not break the law, he did not have a physical affair. He is a family values conservative.

"if you are not a Christian, you are not my brother "

Do you disagree with the statement?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think two different things are being talked about here. When a Christian uses the term "brother", they are usually using it in the biblical sense of the word and it's meant to connote a fellow believer in Christ. That is how the Scriptures use that term. But in America there is a "brotherhood of mankind" usage that is frequently used and makes Bentley's statement sound like he doesn't consider a non-Christian his "brother" in that sense. I don't think that's how he intended it. In Christian usage, the term for someone who isn't a fellow believer but that belongs to that "brotherhood of mankind" would be "neighbor." Jesus is asked "who is my neighbor" and Jesus tells a parable (the Good Samaritan) to make the point that essentially "everyone is your neighbor."

I could be wrong and giving Bentley too much benefit of the doubt, but I think this is more a confusion of how terms are used in a Christian vs American secular context than what it sounds like at first read.

I believe him when he says, he did not break the law, he did not have a physical affair. He is a family values conservative.

"if you are not a Christian, you are not my brother "

Do you disagree with the statement?

yes

Between this and the fact our teachers are screwing their students at such an alarming rate, we don't look too good. Comical.

I listened to Bentley's press conference on the radio. As I listened to it and heard him try to explain what he did without admitting to much detail, I thought who recommended that he do this press conference? That was mistake. If he did more than lust after the woman, it's a bigger mistake.

At the very least Bentley may have committed sexual harassment. Other members of his staff can complain that Bentley favored Mason for sexual reasons.

The victim does not have to be the person harassed, but can be anyone affected by the offensive conduct.

Bill-Clinton-Robert-Bentley.jpg

The AEA did a great job helping him get elected. Glad to see them circling the drain.

Yep. They were so hellbent on sinking Bradley Byrne, they basically handed the election to Bentley on a silver platter.

I think it is very possible that there was no sex. She is still married. She may have been teasing and leading him on for power and money. Her husband may be aware. Just speculation of course.. He doesn't sound very charming in that recording but does sound like a pathetic kid madly in love. I don't see how a man in that mindset can be an effective leader. This was not just a piece on the side, it was deeper. Sounds like his kids may hate him too.

I think two different things are being talked about here. When a Christian uses the term "brother", they are usually using it in the biblical sense of the word and it's meant to connote a fellow believer in Christ. That is how the Scriptures use that term. But in America there is a "brotherhood of mankind" usage that is frequently used and makes Bentley's statement sound like he doesn't consider a non-Christian his "brother" in that sense. I don't think that's how he intended it. In Christian usage, the term for someone who isn't a fellow believer but that belongs to that "brotherhood of mankind" would be "neighbor." Jesus is asked "who is my neighbor" and Jesus tells a parable (the Good Samaritan) to make the point that essentially "everyone is your neighbor."

I could be wrong and giving Bentley too much benefit of the doubt, but I think this is more a confusion of how terms are used in a Christian vs American secular context than what it sounds like at first read.

I agree with you 100%. I don't see how Bentley saying someone is not his brother is in any way negative, as long as that person is not his brother. There is plenty to bash Bentley about, I just don't think this comment is one of them.

Wow........just listened to the recording....

A. EWWWWWWWWWWW.............

B. He is sophomoric as can be, sounds like a 12 year old boy trying to romance someone...

C. Supposedly, 3 people knew of these tapes. The ALEA chief he fired and Bentley's ex-wife included...

D. If it was her, she torched his rear end.

• 2 weeks later...

You knew it was coming ...

the media could make him just quit. He is going to blow a fuse on them eventually. He apparently can't just stop talking to them and he can't really go Nick Saban and shame them either.

ALEA confirms state aircraft was used to bring Gov. Bentley his wallet

http://m.wsfa.com/wsfa/db_344805/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=3JWFau8v

i can't say I have a problem with this, hell I would do it too if in that position. Although I keep a George Castanza wallet ( I get made fun of,yes) and I NEVER forget it.

I wonder if he writes his own material or if someone else writes for him. :lmao:

He delivers it well enough that he has to be heavily involved in the writing.

I wonder if he writes his own material or if someone else writes for him. :lmao:

He delivers it well enough that he has to be heavily involved in the writing.

I really miss Jon Stewart, but it's nice to see the Daily Show diaspora picking up the slack.

Those of you that have not watched Samantha Bee's show are really missing out. I would argue that she should have gotten the opportunity to host the Daily Show before Trevor Noah.

Why does it not surprise me that both of the central characters in this little story apparently have primary residences in Tuscaloosa?

Archived