Mississippi State Game Report Card

StatTiger

I swear I think malzahns decision to start White is an attempt to kick start Johnson. I don't think he's dedicated to White for the long term at all. I think he's afraid if he turns him loose he might succeed never get his savant back in the game.

Do you have other strange thoughts? ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. This conservative approach made the quarterback change pointless for the most part. Jeremy Johnson was already completing 84% of his passes without an interception within 10-yards of the line of scrimmage. Not to take away from a gutty performance by Sean White, but Johnson could have produced the same results.

I disagree. Sean White showed some leadership and was willing to do the little things like: blocking on running plays and showing some unexpected athleticism while running the ball; Jeremy Johnson has not shown these traits this season. In addition, White seemed to be a (vocal and by example) leader. So yes if the only benchmark that you would like to point to is pass completion % <10yds, then JJ would be the same as SW. However in all other aspects of the QB performance (tangible and intangible) SW was superior to JJ. Sean White may not be Jay Cutler but he has tremendous upside and could help this team be successful. Now the question(s) regarding Gus and his playcalling.

I can't get behind this post. You have fallen victim to what we refer to in my field as halo error. You are analyzing parts of johnson's performance based on an overall impression.

Johnson has shown a lot of leadership. He was shown making adjustments with receivers on the sidelines. Even after getting benched, he was showing leadership. He went over to white last night after his interception, patted him on the back, and then started pointing to places on the field like he was giving guidance. As for blocking downfield, I saw Johnson doing that several times as well. He even made several nice throws in the first three games.

Give credit where it was due. Johnson did many things well. He was benched for two reasons: 1. He made several bad decisions, including forcing passes, that really hurt us in games. 2. He started losing confidence in himself. Leadership and effort were not problems. Decision and confidence were his problems.

Oregon and Auburn....two schools on the same track.

Read this piece from the Oregonian and you could just exchange the words Oregon and Ducks for Auburn and Tigers and you would think they were writing about Auburn.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/09/5_things_learned_about_oregon.html#incart_big-photo

The story of misplaced confidence.

Oregon and Auburn were almost the same program since the 2010 NC except they weren't at any point after not a top 10 caliber team

I swear I think malzahns decision to start White is an attempt to kick start Johnson. I don't think he's dedicated to White for the long term at all. I think he's afraid if he turns him loose he might succeed never get his savant back in the game.

That would be the equivalent of picking Jeremy over your job and this entire program

Gotta disagree about JJ. I don't think he could have made even the short passes SW was making

Both are completing 77 percent of their passes within 10-yards of the line of scrimmage. JJ averages 6.9 yards per attempt and SW 5.9 yards. JJ had 0 picks and 2 TD's from 48 attempts and SW already has 1 pick and 0 TD's from 22 attempts.

Stat- I love statistics and all, however they aren't all equal. SW threw a int in the end zone. The field is significantly shorter here so a 10yd pass from the 10 yd line is not the same as a 10 yd pass from midfield. From a pure #'s standpoint 10yds is 10yds, but from a decision making standpoint they are completely different. How many int's has JJ thrown within the redzone? I can't recall any. Due to this, I actually don't agree with you. I think SW managed the offense significantly better than JJ. The midrange post to Duke that was dropped was right on the money without hesitation. Also, White checked down on a minimum of 4 plays to hit underneath receivers (mostly RB's) bc it appeared nothing was open downfield. We've watched JJ for 3 games and again, I am having difficulty thinking of 4 examples where he actually went thru progressions.

We all love your assessment around here, but give us your opinion (not based on statistics which can be skewed such as the above examples). Who do you feel gives us a better chance to win?

You feel better because White's interception occurred in the redzone? I don't see how that is better.

Problem I had with that int. is play selection. We had MSU on their heels with the run and had two plays to get three yards. Should have rammed it down their throats while we had the chance. Problem is Gus plays for field goal. He looks at it like we have to call a play to get at least 3 yards. If not we kick. If we don't get touchdowns then the defense has won and we have lost our momentum.

I'm with these other guys. I sincerely hope this wasn't Gus's plan. It could easily backfire. Being benched is a sign that the coaches have lost faith in the person. If part of Jeremy's problem is confidence, it probably took a bigger hit when he was benched.

Also where has D. Williams been? I don't seem to see him on the field so much as him not being thrown to.

I love Duke, but he was half-assing almost every route and every blocking assignment. His body language was poor any time he was not given the ball. As a fan I was pretty disappointed to see that, but I also have to wonder if there is more to it than him just being a diva/baby

Got to realize the difference in the teams. We have a rfresh, first time starter and they have a 4th yr senior. I think his plan was conservative on purpose especially after the 1st int and it should have been and we still could have won if not for a high snap.

Typically you would expect that to be game 1 with a first yr young QB working on his growing pains and the coaches seeing what he can do. Hopefully by game 4, the QB is ready to make plays. We have just happened to start 4 games into the season.

Normally I would agree but....

The best possession of the night was the OPENING drive, where Auburn called 7 run plays and 6 passes. The drive netted over 70-yards and 5 first downs. What a great start but a blunder in the RZ from the pick. What happens next? On the next 5 possessions, 33 runs and only 6 passes.

Gus got scarred. And when the Head Coach is the lead play-caller on offense and he gets scarred, that ain't good.

Compared to the JXST and LSU game, I think it was a HUGE improvement. TOP, Run game, turnovers, 3rd down def and team's fight. I think we undervalue the fact that SW had one OOPS play. JJ had five against LSU... You assume the QB can get the snap and throw the ball forward, but after JJ, I was impressed SW could do those things... My only question is why didn't Gus just eat up the safeties being so far back? Are the WR blocking so bad we couldn't just screen them closer? IMO

I'm with these other guys. I sincerely hope this wasn't Gus's plan. It could easily backfire. Being benched is a sign that the coaches have lost faith in the person. If part of Jeremy's problem is confidence, it probably took a bigger hit when he was benched.

He had zero confidence through three games. So they tried something/someone else.

Archived