Jack Crowe: We aren't equipped to handle certain players

sogaaufan

I think Winston Grooms' "Forest Gump" was dead on accurate when it comes to bammer.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that's the case we should do the same, it would still be trouble sometimes I suppose. Also everybody right now is so sensitive with this make believe our school is so much better than others, but getting in trouble doesn't equate to bad attitudes. Getting in trouble doesn't equate to harming a team. Also a player getting in trouble doesn't make a school better or worse than others

Wow.

Just a reminder.

Auburn is a center of higher education where students are extended the privilege of playing football up to the point that their education is free. Sorry, I'd rather be a perennial 7-5 team than a center for this type of player. Just my opinion - but how Gus has handled this is just as embarrassing as Jimbo's handling of Winston. If you do not think that this type of player has an effect on the team you are sadly mistaken. Payton Barber has busted his ass, spent a year as tackling fodder at practice, waited for his turn, done everything that was asked of him and earned his spot (which is obvious to everyone except our coach). Players who do this become disillusioned by players like Williams who are not allowed to practice and then 3 weeks later are miraculously back on the 1st string. What a joke.

That's fine, and I think you're mistaken. There isn't a team that some players don't get in trouble sometimes. You say you'd rather be 7-5 but you'd be on here complaining about that. Nobody even knows the details of everything to talk about "this type of player" as in life some will be successful and some won't. If you change on person's life isn't it worth it? Or no because you don't want to read about a guy getting in trouble....it's a guy on campus right now part of a frat that fights every other night but when the time comes they'll take the beer out of his hand clean him up, put a tie on him and I guess he'll be the perfect student? It's a big college everybody that goes to Auburn aren't people who haven't ever did anything wrong. He messed up, he's off the team. There's a guy who messed up and life is now better thanks to an opportunity, that's what being an institute of higher learning should be about.

Williams was not a beer in the hand situation. Reese Dismukes incident was and it was handled correctly. My response did not imply that we should expect no incidents that are typical to any college student coming of age. I had them myself. The truth is that Williams was given opportunities to continue that a 2nd sting average player would not be given. Same for his recruitment. I am not an in the know guy but I have family contacts in Louisiana that were very familiar with this situation and any decent vetting process would have made it clear that this was a damn risky move to bring this kid on. Neither Auburn University or Auburn football is nor a boys club/rehab facility for troubled youth.

If that's the case we should do the same, it would still be trouble sometimes I suppose. Also everybody right now is so sensitive with this make believe our school is so much better than others, but getting in trouble doesn't equate to bad attitudes. Getting in trouble doesn't equate to harming a team. Also a player getting in trouble doesn't make a school better or worse than others

Wow.

Just a reminder.

Auburn is a center of higher education where students are extended the privilege of playing football up to the point that their education is free. Sorry, I'd rather be a perennial 7-5 team than a center for this type of player. Just my opinion - but how Gus has handled this is just as embarrassing as Jimbo's handling of Winston. If you do not think that this type of player has an effect on the team you are sadly mistaken. Payton Barber has busted his ass, spent a year as tackling fodder at practice, waited for his turn, done everything that was asked of him and earned his spot (which is obvious to everyone except our coach). Players who do this become disillusioned by players like Williams who are not allowed to practice and then 3 weeks later are miraculously back on the 1st string. What a joke.

peyton barber started the last 3 or 4 games, is leading the team in both yards and carries. He also plays a different position than Duke. I have seen more analogies that don't even run parallel to the point attempting to be made this week than I ever have.

I think maybe you missed my point. I used Peyton Barber as an example because from all appearances he is exactly what you want as an Auburn student and football player. I have no idea how Barber feels but when you are part of any team, classroom or business group and you bust your ass, do everything right and someone who does not is graded by a different standard and reaps the same reward it will cause discontent with other members of the group. If you have a job and bust it all year and a slacker gets the same bonus you do it won't rub you the wrong way?

Again, I have no idea how Barber feels and I am not implying how he feels. Also according to coaches great new "all positions open plan" he has not earned a starting position and that earns Gus another - what a joke.

These players all know the score. There are players who will get a longer leash because of their ability. If Duke had been productive on the football field his off field antics would be a nuisance and nothing more. Its nothing that hasn't been going on since these guys were in pee wee leagues. They've all seen it and I'll bet quite a number of them were given the star player treatment at some point along the line.

CGM did the right thing with DUKE. I do not want other adults to have follow certain players around to keep them out of trouble. We are all responsible for our own actions.

Wow.

Just a reminder.

That's fine, and I think you're mistaken. There isn't a team that some players don't get in trouble sometimes. You say you'd rather be 7-5 but you'd be on here complaining about that. Nobody even knows the details of everything to talk about "this type of player" as in life some will be successful and some won't. If you change on person's life isn't it worth it? Or no because you don't want to read about a guy getting in trouble....it's a guy on campus right now part of a frat that fights every other night but when the time comes they'll take the beer out of his hand clean him up, put a tie on him and I guess he'll be the perfect student? It's a big college everybody that goes to Auburn aren't people who haven't ever did anything wrong. He messed up, he's off the team. There's a guy who messed up and life is now better thanks to an opportunity, that's what being an institute of higher learning should be about.

Actually the brother we had that got in a fight all the time we let him go on his own and get his ass kicked over and over and he changed. Having his back on every fight, holding his hand, and telling him it was OK, making excuses for him, only encouraged and supported his actions.

Many of these kids have had their hands held the entire time based off their athletic ability. Starting in like JR High the rules are looser, they bend easier, there are more acceptable excuses, and they have smoke blown up their asses about how great they are 24/7. This crap goes on with athletes from Jr High all the way up to the pro's.

Part of being a higher institute of learning includes evolving, growing, becoming an adult, being accountable, and taking responsibility. If you need a 24/7 handler to protect yourself from yourself then you don't belong at Auburn be it as an athlete, a Greek, a GDI, an employee, or even the squirrels that run around the concourse.

People make mistakes yes and you should learn from those. But if you are a 22 year old that needs someone to babysit you 24/7 then there is a major problem.

CGM did the right thing with DUKE. I do not want other adults to have follow certain players around to keep them out of trouble. We are all responsible for our own actions.

Gus was about 10 months too late on Duke.

wde

FSU did a good job of "handling" Jameis Winston? LSU did a good job of "handling" Honey Badger? We have grad assistants and others holding players hands and always have. I was asked to "help shadow" a player in the Dye era when Crow actually knew what was going on in the program. Easy to get them to exams on time and even call for dept help if they're getting drunk, harder to stop anger management issues (dress code? sunglasses? Really?)

I heard stories of certain players and their " antics " in 80's which could be painted all manner of ways, had they happened in the twitter era. Surprising that kids still aren't as conscious as they ought to be , but humans are still gonna human, I suppose.

Since when did sunglasses in a bar signify " trouble " ?

If that incident manning had at UT happened now he would've easily been kicked out of school and maybe even arrested. And everybody would've known about it.

Social media is a gift and a curse for athletes now

Wow.

Just a reminder.

Actually the brother we had that got in a fight all the time we let him go on his own and get his ass kicked over and over and he changed. Having his back on every fight, holding his hand, and telling him it was OK, making excuses for him, only encouraged and supported his actions.

Many of these kids have had their hands held the entire time based off their athletic ability. Starting in like JR High the rules are looser, they bend easier, there are more acceptable excuses, and they have smoke blown up their asses about how great they are 24/7. This crap goes on with athletes from Jr High all the way up to the pro's.

Part of being a higher institute of learning includes evolving, growing, becoming an adult, being accountable, and taking responsibility. If you need a 24/7 handler to protect yourself from yourself then you don't belong at Auburn be it as an athlete, a Greek, a GDI, an employee, or even the squirrels that run around the concourse.

People make mistakes yes and you should learn from those. But if you are a 22 year old that needs someone to babysit you 24/7 then there is a major problem.

yep

Gus was about 10 months too late on Duke.

wde

yep

None of you attended Auburn when I did then or didn't have interactions with the athletes. They fought all the time, wasn't a big deal

None of you attended Auburn when I did then or didn't have interactions with the athletes. They fought all the time, wasn't a big deal

Could be but this is a different era.....and schools are a bit more sensitive to that kind of thing....figuring from experience perhaps that fist fights are just one step away from someone reaching into their glove box and getting a gun.

AU has had enough of these "escalated" situations that apparently started as "words" and ended up with guys laying dead on the ground.

Sorry.....but guess I'm joining the "zero tolerance" faction now.

I can dig it and like I said he was on the zero policy thing then that's the consequences, but the turn your nose up, he should've been kicked off the team for fighting group tickles me. He's going to end up dead and in jail and all of that...fights used to happen at the ACT everyday. Always heard about frats fighting all the time.

I thought that the new dorms that were built recently that were close to being a suite in a "W" Hotel, housed the athletes on different floors? I remember when all of the football team lived in one dorm that was guarded like Fort Levin Worth in Kansas.

The players need a GPS attached to their big toe so that the coaches could know where they were at all times.

Athletes should be treated slightly different than the average student. Not saying that a crime gets a pass, but you cant say that a student goes through the same daily routine as players. And to say that they shouldnt be hand held and treated different, yet people line up for hours just to get an autograph or forma line to see them get on a bus. The fans are as much too blame as anyone for the way players are treated and how they feel.

I attended AU from 1981-1986 and tutored the football and basketball team. When were you at AU?

04-06. Good friend played for Auburn so I interacted with a good bit of the team (playing video games and stuff) I saw fights for reasons as little as video games, watching cartoons. I saw frats fight at house parties and intramural b ball and football games. I saw two random dudes have to get broken up fighting in the weight room. I remember thinking how do you even get into an argument in the weight room.

It wasn't me it was a football player and some other guy I didn't know. The football player (I'm not going to mention) walked in from class and said put the tv on Dragon ball z. The random guy made a joke about him watching cartoons and after that stuff happened. Really wasn't a fight in the sense the random guy didn't offer up too much resistance

No it wasn't steroids it was a bad day compounded with a guy talking out of the way and being disrespectful to somebody he didn't really know

Athletes should be treated slightly different than the average student. Not saying that a crime gets a pass, but you cant say that a student goes through the same daily routine as players. And to say that they shouldnt be hand held and treated different, yet people line up for hours just to get an autograph or forma line to see them get on a bus. The fans are as much too blame as anyone for the way players are treated and how they feel.

I played college athletics. No they shouldn't have to be hand held. Daily routine difference was this... some people got out of class and they went and worked out, went and played intramural, went to work to help pay their tuition and costs. I did the same thing... it was just called practice.

I agree with the fan stuff. They are major culprits in this.

Fights on a football team has happen since the beginning of football. I saw Tom Banks coldcock Miles Jones, 3rd string RB, at a Thursday practice and on Saturday night after the game all of us was partying at the old Heart Of Auburn with about 10 recruits. One of the recruits was Bo Matthews and Bobby Davis from Huntsville. Google both.. Bo ended up at Colorado and Bobby Auburn.

A side story about Bo and Bobby on a recruiting trip to bammer town. Bear was so drunk he could not remember their first name when they were called in to visit him 15 minutes after the game. True story saw it first hand

04-06. Good friend played for Auburn so I interacted with a good bit of the team (playing video games and stuff) I saw fights for reasons as little as video games, watching cartoons. I saw frats fight at house parties and intramural b ball and football games. I saw two random dudes have to get broken up fighting in the weight room. I remember thinking how do you even get into an argument in the weight room.

Broscience answers that!

Archived