Mich St vs Michigan

jared52

Crap I turn it to Uf game and missed it holy crap.....................................

Ditto....when MSU missed that 4th down pass with just over a minute, I figured UM would just take knees until it was over....a few minutes I learned the awful truth. And worse still the kid who scored the winning TD was injured in the celebration and taken to the hospital.

Sounds like Harbaugh might have done a Les Miles on clock management calling time outs when he had the ball.

I don't think clock management by Harbaugh was a problem. I think h e managed it well to get down to 10 seconds and call timeout to then punt it. Just mishandled by the kicker and he should have just fallen on it. Would have given MSU the ball on about the 40 with 6-7 seconds for them to score. Too far for FG (probably) and MSU did not have any time outs. Would have to win it on a hail mary.

I had Michigan in my picks, but since Sparty helped us in 2013, I don't mind them winning this one and against OSU later this year.

Another option would be for the QB to take the 4th down snap and run around the backfield for 10 seconds. Another option would be for him to run as long as he could and head for his own end zone for a safety. Give up the two points and kick the ball deep on the free kick.

They were only up two. Safety was a bad option. Still, you're right about scrambling around.

Crap I turn it to Uf game and missed it holy crap.....................................

Ditto....when MSU missed that 4th down pass with just over a minute, I figured UM would just take knees until it was over....a few minutes I learned the awful truth. And worse still the kid who scored the winning TD was injured in the celebration and taken to the hospital.

Sounds like Harbaugh might have done a Les Miles on clock management calling time outs when he had the ball.

I don't think clock management by Harbaugh was a problem. I think h e managed it well to get down to 10 seconds and call timeout to then punt it. Just mishandled by the kicker and he should have just fallen on it. Would have given MSU the ball on about the 40 with 6-7 seconds for them to score. Too far for FG (probably) and MSU did not have any time outs. Would have to win it on a hail mary.

I had Michigan in my picks, but since Sparty helped us in 2013, I don't mind them winning this one and against OSU later this year.

Another option would be for the QB to take the 4th down snap and run around the backfield for 10 seconds. Another option would be for him to run as long as he could and head for his own end zone for a safety. Give up the two points and kick the ball deep on the free kick.

They were only up two. Safety was a bad option. Still, you're right about scrambling around.

Yeah, I thought it was 23-20. I edited my post. Thanks.

Can be hard to scramble that long with everyone coming at you and they were on the own 38. Any loss of yardage makes it an even easier FG.

Can be hard to scramble that long with everyone coming at you and they were on the own 38. Any loss of yardage makes it an even easier FG.

The snap was from the Michigan State 47. Could have just lined up in the gun, run around for a second or two and heaved a rainbow toward a back corner of the end zone, or simply try for the yard with a dive. What I would have done.

The snap was from the Michigan State 47. Could have just lined up in the gun, run around for a second or two and heaved a rainbow toward a back corner of the end zone, or simply try for the yard with a dive. What I would have done.

Yep...the coach had time to consider that...but like Gus did on Thursday....he figured the punt was the safest decision....but as he (and others) learned, there are no sure things when you put the fate of a football game (and your career) in the hands of an excited or nervous 19 year old.

Yep...the coach had time to consider that...but like Gus did on Thursday....he figured the punt was the safest decision....but as he (and others) learned, there are no sure things when you put the fate of a football game (and your career) in the hands of an excited or nervous 19 year old.

And 99.9% of the time it is the safest decision. Michigan just happened to get bit by the one time it wasn't.

And 99.9% of the time it is the safest decision. Michigan just happened to get bit by the one time it wasn't.

In a situation where you knew they would be rushing all out for the punt and with the possibility of a bad/bobbled long snap? I disagree.

Even if you try the scramble and heave or the dive, how much yardage could you lose while giving them the ball back?

In a situation where you knew they would be rushing all out for the punt and with the possibility of a bad/bobbled long snap? I disagree.

Even if you try the scramble and heave or the dive, how much yardage could you lose while giving them the ball back?

Hindsight and the results indicate that it wasn't the right decision. However, had the freak play not happened, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The freak play doesn't normally happen, and the most likely outcome is a successful punt. There is always the possibility of something bad happening in football, regardless of what you're doing. The bad/bobbled snap doesn't happen enough to be worth worrying about.

That's certainly not the first time the offense failed to make a first down to run out the clock in a one score game. I think you see almost every coach in the country punt the ball in that situation, and that's what I normally see them do. I would be willing to bet that you still see Harbaugh call for a punt the next time he's in that situation.

Hindsight and the results indicate that it wasn't the right decision. However, had the freak play not happened, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The freak play doesn't normally happen, and the most likely outcome is a successful punt. There is always the possibility of something bad happening in football, regardless of what you're doing. The bad/bobbled snap doesn't happen enough to be worth worrying about.

Huh? Long snaps in special teams situations are inherently more risky than snaps under center. Difficult to field snaps in such situations occur very regularly. When you know a big rush is coming and getting it off in a hurry is key, a slightly off the mark snap, like what happened yesterday, makes all the difference in the world. There's a reason teams don't victory formation 10 yards back.

Personal experience time. I kicked in high school. Punted a bit too. The only XP I ever missed was because of a snap in the dirt. Holder did his best but couldn't get it on the block. Snapper earned the football enema I gave him. :laugh:

That's certainly not the first time the offense failed to make a first down to run out the clock in a one score game. I think you see almost every coach in the country punt the ball in that situation, and that's what I normally see them do. I would be willing to bet that you still see Harbaugh call for a punt the next time he's in that situation.

How often does this kind of situation occur? I see it all the time when there's more time on the clock like AU last Thursday, but how often do you see it where the opposing team gets at most one more play? I've seen coaches call the scramble and heave with some regularity, too.

I wonder if they got in the punters head too much by telling him to just hurry and get it off no matter what. Maybe he was so focused on grabbing it and launcing it immediately it threw his routine off too much. Or maybe he just choked.

I wonder if they got in the punters head too much by telling him to just hurry and get it off no matter what. Maybe he was so focused on grabbing it and launcing it immediately it threw his routine off too much. Or maybe he just choked.

Definitely. He was a little further back than usual. Snap was a bit low. Panicked and tried to pick it up and get the kick away rather than fall on it.

My heart aches for the kid. Hear he's getting death threats.

I also feel very bad for the kid. I don't think that play will ever leave his mind. Can anyone imagine the what the consequences would be if that had happened to Bama in the Iron Bowl. I shudder at the thought.

I also feel very bad for the kid. I don't think that play will ever leave his mind. Can anyone imagine the what the consequences would be if that had happened to Bama in the Iron Bowl. I shudder at the thought.

Brick through a window at a minimum.

Well, the bama kicker did kick us a touchdown once.

Archived