How long will it take for Auburn to be decent again?

Dual-Threat Rigby

t's all we can hope for after last year and this year it's time to clean house IMO. We had better be setting our hopes a hell of a lot higher than 10 wins once every 4

So the consensus is that we should hope for 10 wins two years from now? So we're saying 2 years from now we should hope to be around 3rd in the west? If thayears or we won't deserve to do any better than that.

Give me a serious scenario of how we can do better. I don't see one.

Any coach worth the 4 mil a year we pay should have zero problems keeping AU above a level of 10 wins once every 4 years. Hell Tubberville had 2 10 win seasons in his last 5 years (and then got fired for one 5-7 year). If the problem

Isn't coaching then it's the entire athletic dept. o don't know where the problem lies, but I say again, if we accept 10 wins once every four years then we don't deserve to be any better than that. Do we? Should we just accept it? I for one won't be.

So your answer is a new coaching staff correct? And exactly who will we get to insure we are better next year?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Defense, defense, defense. I love Malzahn's offense and I think he has proven that he can field an offensively competitive team but how did we fall so far from the pack that not even Will Muschamp can make due with the defensive personnel that we have?

Can you imagine this D without the transfers plus Will and T-Rob's freshman?

Could the attendance start dropping off if these schizophrenic slides keep happening? I mean, the soccer moms that like to go for the fashion show and social aspect, will still attend, but will the true money supporters and true football fans start staying home?

Well the problem with even years is schedule, finishing on the road against Ga and Alabama.

We are staring 5 wins for this year in the face. I don't see improving 3 games over that for next year unless we see some real playmakers gamechangers join the team in the off season.

I can't think of a single player that starts for us would start for the other teams in this league that are contenders.

I would be willing to bet a thread like this existed during 2012 season and look what happened in 2013. So I never say never but realistically probably 2017 depending on whether there is a coaching change.

I would be willing to bet a thread like this existed during 2012 season and look what happened in 2013. So I never say never but realistically problem 2017 depending on whether there is a coaching change.

Probably so. And honestly, it could only take one player to cause a shift in this team. Look what Cam and Marshall did. Those teams without those specific players are 8 or 9 win teams.

t's all we can hope for after last year and this year it's time to clean house IMO. We had better be setting our hopes a hell of a lot higher than 10 wins once every 4

So the consensus is that we should hope for 10 wins two years from now? So we're saying 2 years from now we should hope to be around 3rd in the west? If thayears or we won't deserve to do any better than that.

Any coach worth the 4 mil a year we pay should have zero problems keeping AU above a level of 10 wins once every 4 years. Hell Tubberville had 2 10 win seasons in his last 5 years (and then got fired for one 5-7 year). If the problem

Isn't coaching then it's the entire athletic dept. o don't know where the problem lies, but I say again, if we accept 10 wins once every four years then we don't deserve to be any better than that. Do we? Should we just accept it? I for one won't be.

So your answer is a new coaching staff correct? And exactly who will we get to insure we are better next year?

No. My answer is that in two years if we are still hoping to get a 10 win season then we need a new staff. The staff we have now is owed WAAAYYYY too much money to be let go even if they end up at 4-8 so they will be here next year regardless. If we look this bad next year then a change should be made.

I would be willing to bet a thread like this existed during 2012 season and look what happened in 2013. So I never say never but realistically problem 2017 depending on whether there is a coaching change.

Probably so. And honestly, it could only take one player to cause a shift in this team. Look what Cam and Marshall did. Those teams without those specific players are 8 or 9 win teams.

Sometimes even with Marshall...

Define 'decent'.

not giving up almost 500 yards or 500 against every half decent offense you play

and not being 4-3

and not losing to 3-3 and 3-4 teams

A pretty general definition of DECENT I guess, would be not losing to Arkansas and Mississippi State, 6-1 is a lot better than decent mind you, but I feel that's decent

Historically, Auburn is a top ten team as far as winning goes I believe. That is pretty impressive when you consider the other side of the state. There isn't really an excuse for this school to be so schizophrenic.

Define 'decent'.

not giving up almost 500 yards or 500 against every half decent offense you play

and not being 4-3

A pretty general definition of DECENT I guess, would be not losing to Arkansas and Mississippi State, 6-1 is a lot better than decent mind you, but I feel that's decent

For the love of all thats good and holy not losing to msu and arky!

I would be willing to bet a thread like this existed during 2012 season and look what happened in 2013. So I never say never but realistically probably 2017 depending on whether there is a coaching change.

this defense has continued to deteriorate since then

you can't beat people with such a bad defense. the only actual problem in 2012 was the fact we couldn't score for hell and by mid season, almost no one actually cared to continue trying (which I am definitely surprised this hasn't happened yet)

Define 'decent'.

and not being 4-3

not sure what you're criticizing here, those are two pretty bad teams. Both combined do not have a good win at all. we should be able to out talent them for Christs sakes

Define 'decent'.

and not being 4-3

not sure what you're criticizing here, those are two pretty bad teams. Both combined do not have a good win at all. we should be able to out talent them for Christs sakes

I'm not criticizing anythi g, I am saying the same thing you just did, we shouldn't be losing to them.

Define 'decent'.

and not being 4-3

On paper, we do "out talent" those teams. We must be coaching them down.

Defensively? Several years. Generally speaking (of course there are exceptions) a 4/5 star DL or LB won't stand a chance against a 3 star OL who has waited his turn and is playing as a Jr. or Sr. Their technique will be better and they will just be stronger. We really need CWM to be around 3 yrs. so our players have continuity in coaching and scheme. Also, our DL technique is awful. I've said "titty bump" in the past to describe it.

Depends on how well our defense recruiting is going. We need bodies and plenty of them on defense.

Yes, but they have to develop physically before they can "really" contribute. Gonna take a few years of good recruiting and coaching. No shortcuts available for a good long term defense.

We still have a lot of football left in 2015. Today's loss was a heartbreaker no doubt. Saying this team is really bad is not the case. No one, including myself knows how the last 5 games will play out. I think a 3-2 or better record will be how this season plays out.

We will be OK and will win some big games the rest of 2015 and better in 2016. There is way too much negativity directed at this team. We could possibly be 6-1 with a few breaks here and there. Let the team play their game.

Apparently he would have us fire the coaching staff ("clean house")?

Got a bad feeling about recruiting the next 2 years. If something doesn't change pretty quick we could be seeing the beginning of a serious downward spiral.

We still have a lot of football left in 2015. Today's loss was a heartbreaker no doubt. Saying this team is really bad is not the case. No one, including myself knows how the last 5 games will play out. I think a 3-2 or better record will be how this season plays out.

We will be OK and will win some big games the rest of 2015 and better in 2016. There is way too much negativity directed at this team. We could possibly be 6-1 with a few breaks here and there. Let the team play their game.

Doc- we could be 6-1, but we could also be 1-6 with a few breaks that go the other way. Yes, there is a lot of football left to be played. I'm not trying to be negative and I rarely intend to be. I tend to be much more objective. Objectively, we're poor defensively. Stats tell the tale. I'm not questioning effort. Kids play hard, they want to win. No one enjoys losing. I sincerely hope we improve, but we have a long way to go to be "decent" and/or respected defensively.

Archived