Charles Kelly

RunInRed

Fact: Gus is not on the hot seat! Get over it, he's not, simple as that!

Fact: Jimbo is not stable at FSU as he wanted the LSU job but the Boosters wouldn't come up with the $50 million buyout for Les and Jimbo combined!

Fact: Gus didn't think TRob was ready, he knows more than us, believe it or not.

Fact: If we had a QB this season we are probably SEC champs are at least in there fighting for it! Gus has an SEC Championship and natty, then another SEC Championship, and played for the Natty!

QB situation didn't work out this year, will be better next year.

Relax people!

Sorry to disagree 24 but I can assure you Gus is on a very hot.

Just out of curiosity, how many games would you assume he needs to win in 2016 to keep his job? Seems like another 6 win season might allow him one more year. Anything less than that and he's gone. But, that is pure speculation, as I am in no way in the know.

It's just not total wins he has got have more wins in the SEC and start beating UGA and bammer would help. We are cellars dwellers in the SEC. If you look at our schedule next year you should be scared to death.

Some-how the "We are cellars dwellers in the SEC" just hasn't set-in to some of is. Reality stinks some times!

Good gracious folks, we were the SEC Champs just 2 years ago. Yes, we finished last in the SECW this season, but we were a QB away from going 6-2 and maybe 7-1 in the conference. We will be back!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently I am not the only one. And kudos to ET for his information that eventually proved to be true. Maybe. It ain't over yet...

Completely off topic but I keep reading your username as PolPot

You're not the only one.

Apparently I am not the only one. And kudos to ET for his information that eventually proved to be true. Maybe. It ain't over yet...

You're not the only one.

I keep thinking of weed.

So back to Kelly :)

Is he out for good, or playing us for more money and more guarantees?

it ain't over just yet but it's damn close

Thanks!

My mama cooks carrots and peas in the same pot

Just out of curiosity, how many games would you assume he needs to win in 2016 to keep his job? Seems like another 6 win season might allow him one more year. Anything less than that and he's gone. But, that is pure speculation, as I am in no way in the know.

I think a six-win season ends his tenure.

I think you're looking at a minimum of 8 wins, and at least one of those needs to be against UGA or Bama. Mine is likewise speculating, but I just don't see any scenario outside of some massive rash of injuries where we go 6-6 and he stays.

Man. That's a pretty warm seat indeed. Hopefully we don't have to find out the exact number it will take but we shall see.

That said, this year's team was a competent QB away from 8-4 or even 9-3.

I am not normally a sunshine pumper, but if you go back and look at the scores and the failed drives due to either a QB missing a wide open receivers or a Wide open receiver dropping the ball and give us 1/2 to 2/3 of those as should be the case with a competent QB and decent receivers and we have a good shot and 11-1.

I agree, ultimately the responsibility for that falls with the coaches and they just missed on JJ (not sure HOW they could simulate 85k people in practice where even people OUTSIDE the program say he performed very well). If there was a pattern there, I would be concerned, but otherwise these guys have a pretty good track record with QB's.

I am not going to put coaches on the "hot seat" because they missed with one player and that very well could be the difference in this season and otherwise that could be the nexus of all the hot seat BS.

I look at it this way, if we can go 6-6 with a QB that can't run or hit open receivers, and when he does the receivers drop the ball, and our best and only pass rusher is hurt most of the season, what will out record be once we get a decent QB, receivers that can catch, and a couple of more pass rushers (as seems to be happening in this recruiting class if all the "hotseaters don't scare the recruits away like some say they are DC's - If I were Kirby or Will or Nick I might even send common recruits to this site to gauge the future of their future coaches)

So basically once you pay a DC 1.6 million whoever follows will expect atleast that if they are a top DC.

That's partly it. You pay top dollar once, others are going to assume the same.

But the main problem is that we are not negotiating from a position of strength and stability. We've more or less let it be known that Gus's seat is warm and he could be gone if he underperforms next year. So any DC that is in demand and in a stable situation already is going to have higher demands from us than they would somewhere else without out issues. Those demands come in the form of more money than they'd take from other schools, and more guaranteed years.

Very unsanitary

I keep trying to stay positive about next season but between the DC leaving and hiring drama and some of golf's statements about the future and Gus's situation I am feeling like I will be commenting on a new head coach thread this time next season...its very depressing.

Very unsanitary

Good one!

Does anyone else think $1.3 million is completely insane for a coach who has been a coordinator all of 2 years and one of those years was not great? That is a LOT of money for what I see still as a gamble. It seems we could go after a solid DC that is not at a power 5 school and pay at least 1/2 that and the gamble would essentially be equivalent.

If we promote LT to defensive coordinator, that's gonna look really bad on AU. And I'm afraid AU will look really bad on the field. One of my bammer friends was actually hoping he would get removed from the Alabama staff and voila, he shows up at Auburn. He's done well recruiting but his on-field product has done absolutely nothing to warrant such a promotion. Granted, the crop of defensive coordinators is not too great this year, LT is a total desperation move. If this happens, and I hope I'm wrong, it probably starts the beginning of the end for this staff as well. Coaching turnover has got to be slowed down at AU before we turn into TN and it takes us a decade to get back to where we should be.

Where should we be though?

Because in the last decade AU is 2-8 vs UGA, 3-7 vs LSU, 4-6 vs Arky, 4-6 vs UAT.

So where the hell "should" we be in the next decade?

Ditto! The first time I saw it I had to do a double take and wonder why anyone would choose such a name as the Cambodian despot. But then, I looked again and noticed I had read it wrong!

I would agree with you if the search is conducted in the SEC, maybe the ACC but who would be the candidate ?

Kelly is in the ACC.

Our search should really consider pursuing a candidate outside the SEC, a REAL candidate. Not some unicorn like Shoop. The other night when looking at different DC coaches I was amazed at how many excellent resumes I found, of individuals who are being paid less than $300K, some significantly. And these were coaches who made wonderful turnarounds in their programs.

How much do you know about the system they run? Would we be starting over in terms of scheme, reads and strategy? What's their recruiting resume?

For you to say "That's just the way it is." is not accurate. If you limit your focus, then yes, which appears to be the wash, rinse, repeat process our hiring practice has become which brings AU to these hiring dilemmas with people like Muschamp and apparently now CK. These incidents actually cause harm to AU's image. We are actually bidding against ourselves for talent. The Muschamp hire really hurt us in that regard and if the $950K for CK is true it REALLY hurt us.

No, it really isn't. For any proven candidate out there in a stable situation, we will end up paying more than market value and/or guaranteeing more years compared to other schools on our level. If the candidate is worth $400k, expect us to pay $550k. If he's worth $750k, expect us to have to fork out $900k-$1M. With probably a three year guarantee. And it's because we have created a perception out there that Gus's job is shaky and he could be gone after next season if we don't win 8 games or so and beat one of our two biggest rivals.

The one last comment I'd make about the $750K figure (or whatever it is) is that if that's what it takes to keep CK at FSU then that is all he is worth. CK and FSU set the price. CK is not worth the $950K because CK himself didn't think it was worth such. The intangibles to keep CK at FSU apparently are worth FAR more than just a $200K difference and I don't think an offer by AU north of $1 million would make a difference. Again, this is about family and career first, not salary. Also, his resume' doesn't reflect such DC-candidate qualities that we ascribe him with such an offer. Maybe in a couple of seasons it will. This comes back to the CRAZY money we are throwing into the air. Whoever is creating the candidate list and the budget for the hire is lazy or not doing a very good job. They also need to keep this hiring info from leaking. Compromises our future hires.

What I'm trying to tell you is that "worth" is relative to who's hiring you. There's what you're worth to your current employer, there's what you're worth on average in your industry or career field if you decided to shop around, and then there is the specific "worth" you have to the place trying to lure you over. And that fluctuates depending on circumstances. Right now, Auburn's circumstances are that a candidate's "worth" will be above the average he'd get elsewhere because of the stability perception. FSU would be able to pay him less to stay that we would to pull him away. A more stable situation like Georgia also would not have to pay him as much as we would. That's just the way it is, like it or not.

So are we getting Pruitt now?

(Do we need to start the Pruitt thread now)

He looks like he's going to bammer.

FSU is in the ACC ? When did that happen ? I'm stunned. Does the NCAA know this ? My point implies that CK is no longer a candidate, unless you have news to tell. But thanks for being snippy as usual.

Gus' job is shaky not because of any perception caused by the fan base. His job situation is shaky because he's being paid top dollar to perform. He's not performing. Since 2013 the win/loss record has gone downhill because of the decisions Gus has made. His performance doesn't warrant much more tolerance. I like him but, business is business these days. I hate that is what college football has become but it's the reality. I really hope he turns it around.

At present, CK's salary is worth $583K. I could see AU paying him $750K to $850K TOPS. His resume' isn't worth more. One report is that we have already offered him $1.3 million/yr for 3 years. http://www.sun-senti...51211-post.html

If you think CK is worth $1.3 million then that's what should be discussed. I don't think he's worth anything close that or the $950K.

AU seems to not have the intangibles CK wants and not even $1.3 million makes up for it if that number is true. This is CRAZY STOOPID money. This is a wake up call for AU because we have people in charge who think they're spending Monopoly money if he is actually hired for that amount of money.

Does anyone else think $1.3 million is completely insane for a coach who has been a coordinator all of 2 years and one of those years was not great? That is a LOT of money for what I see still as a gamble. It seems we could go after a solid DC that is not at a power 5 school and pay at least 1/2 that and the gamble would essentially be equivalent.

yes.

yes.

What I also think has been abysmal is paying $600K to a graduate assistant with one year's OC experience at Arky State to become OC at AU. AU deserves better, far better.

yes.

What I also think has been abysmal is paying $600K to a graduate assistant with one year's OC experience at Arky State to become OC at AU. AU deserves better, far better.

True that about Lashlee which is why I hope he moves on this year, I just don't think what he brings to the table is congruent with what he is being paid....but good grief, $1.3 million for CK cannot be real. I'm not saying CK could not be a great DC....but that is literally up there with Muschamp type money and he is KNOWN to be a top 5 DC.

Florida is paying Geoff Collins in the $600k ballpark and he is a KNOWN commodity. If you are going to pay someone $1.3....go after someone like him.

yes.

Absolutely

yes.

he was paid less, i think 400k in 2013. Actually after 2 years Samford and Arkansas st. He got raised after 2013 when we were the first SEC team in history to lead the nation in rushing.

I'm shocked we have kept Craig as long as we have. He has far more experience than Lashlee and he is getting paid less. I would be pissed.

There was mutual interest; there was a meeting; there was an offer, the offer was rejected; there was a very nice second offer; the offer was considered and all but signed; there was reconsideration on the coach's part, but not rejection... next move...

I don't think I put this out there earlier but here is a quote from my cousin (actually my cousin's wife) about CK. The conversation was between her and CK's father-in-law with whom she is close friends (and very close friends with CK's wife's family too):

"Talked to his father in law today and he's not going for any amount of money. Too unstable there right now and Jimbo has been good to him plus his daughter is a sr in HS."

No link. lol

Wow. Not even officially over and you're throwing the "I told you so" card? Just lost some respect.

Your reaction as a "I told you so" is funny. Not my intention at all but your reaction corresponds with how you flamed my comment earlier. And actually, if you can keep a secret, it was the cousin of an electrician who is neighbors with the fireman that is friends with the mayor who knew the garbageman who sorted through CK's father-in-law's trash that found a telephone number that linked CK's lack of interest back to the "I want to stay at FSU" hotline #. He got a busy signal the first time but eventually got a ring tone.

lol, just messin' with you Foundation. But, I do still hold respect for you in spite of the lack of a mutual concern.

I still hope we haul in CK but not at $950K. Not worth it.

WDE !!!

Haha. Now that's funny. I take it back.....even though it was an I told you so :cool:

Good gracious folks, we were the SEC Champs just 2 years ago. Yes, we finished last in the SECW this season, but we were a QB away from going 6-2 and maybe 7-1 in the conference. We will be back!

I wish we were just a QB away, but we finished the regular season with the #96 ranked Offense and the #90 ranked Defense. The playcalling and game preparation was abysmal, the roster management and in-game adjustments were horrible, player development is subpar and we've been out manned in several games. And all really started about 13 months ago, not just this season when we didn't have a solid QB. Somebody at the top ain't getting it done.

Archived