Charles Kelly

RunInRed

FSU is in the ACC ? When did that happen ? I'm stunned. Does the NCAA know this ? My point implies that CK is no longer a candidate, unless you have news to tell. But thanks for being snippy as usual.

I can only go off of what you post. CK hasn't turned the job down. Discussions are still ongoing.

Gus' job is shaky not because of any perception caused by the fan base. His job situation is shaky because he's being paid top dollar to perform. Since 2013 the win/loss record reflects as his performance and it's going downhill because of the decisions he has made. His performance doesn't warrant much more tolerance. I like him but, business is business these days. I really hope he turns it around.

No, it is partly because we have created a perception (that is likely now just a reality) that we have no patience for down years or rebuilds. When you fire one coach two years after going 14-0 and winning the natty, then you have people seriously discussing doing it again 2 years after the subsequent guy won the SEC and took you to the national title game - like it or not - you've created a perception that Auburn fans and the administration are impatient, fickle and unrealistic.

At present, CK's salary is worth $583K. I could see AU paying him $750K to $850K TOPS. His resume' isn't worth more. One report is that we have already offered him $1.3 million/yr for 3 years. http://www.sun-senti...51211-post.html

If you think CK is worth $1.3 million then that's what should be discussed. I don't think he's worth anything close that or the $950K.

You're still operating under the assumption (delusion?) that Auburn is the same negotiating position as other schools in the market. We aren't. Thus, we don't get to pay the average market rate for his resume if we want him.

AU seems to not have the intangibles CK wants and not even $1.3 million makes up for it if that number is true. This is CRAZY STOOPID money. This is a wake up call for AU because we have people in charge who think they're spending Monopoly money if he is actually hired for that amount of money.

AU doesn't have the security he wants. And until we can create a different perception, that's going to be the case with anyone we approach.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the nutbar fan base. Anyone seriously thinking that a coaching change might be a good thing doesn't understand how damaging such changes are. I think the collective "we" in the fan base have done AU as much damage and any group with all the "hotseat" nonsense.

I'm sorry for expecting to win 9-10 games on a consistent basis and actually hiring head coaches who know what the hell they're doing but we have bigger problems than just coaching at Auburn. There's been an elephant in the room that hasn't been addressed with the coaching changes that have taken place the past few years.

I blame the segment of the fanbase that embraces whatever is offered up and acts like we should just accept how things are and not try to make the right decisions to start with instead of always chasing our own tail by not trying to go out of our comfort zone with how things are done.

Eh, there's no type of salary cap and it's not my money lol so get the best guy that we can get in here possible regardless of money. We have been paying coaches not to coach at AU for the last decade whats adding one more to the list? If Gus is saying 1.3M is too much but he's jobless after next year in part due to the defense he'll be thinking how dumb he was not to just get the best guy.

Fact: Gus is not on the hot seat! Get over it, he's not, simple as that!

Fact: Jimbo is not stable at FSU as he wanted the LSU job but the Boosters wouldn't come up with the $50 million buyout for Les and Jimbo combined!

Fact: Gus didn't think TRob was ready, he knows more than us, believe it or not.

Fact: If we had a QB this season we are probably SEC champs are at least in there fighting for it! Gus has an SEC Championship and natty, then another SEC Championship, and played for the Natty!

QB situation didn't work out this year, will be better next year.

Relax people!

Lol. Are any of these actual facts?

FSU is in the ACC ? When did that happen ? I'm stunned. Does the NCAA know this ? My point implies that CK is no longer a candidate, unless you have news to tell. But thanks for being snippy as usual.

I can only go off of what you post. CK hasn't turned the job down. Discussions are still ongoing.

Gus' job is shaky not because of any perception caused by the fan base. His job situation is shaky because he's being paid top dollar to perform. Since 2013 the win/loss record reflects as his performance and it's going downhill because of the decisions he has made. His performance doesn't warrant much more tolerance. I like him but, business is business these days. I really hope he turns it around.

No, it is partly because we have created a perception (that is likely now just a reality) that we have no patience for down years or rebuilds. When you fire one coach two years after going 14-0 and winning the natty, then you have people seriously discussing doing it again 2 years after the subsequent guy won the SEC and took you to the national title game - like it or not - you've created a perception that Auburn fans and the administration are impatient, fickle and unrealistic.

At present, CK's salary is worth $583K. I could see AU paying him $750K to $850K TOPS. His resume' isn't worth more. One report is that we have already offered him $1.3 million/yr for 3 years. http://www.sun-senti...51211-post.html

If you think CK is worth $1.3 million then that's what should be discussed. I don't think he's worth anything close that or the $950K.

You're still operating under the assumption (delusion?) that Auburn is the same negotiating position as other schools in the market. We aren't. Thus, we don't get to pay the average market rate for his resume if we want him.

AU seems to not have the intangibles CK wants and not even $1.3 million makes up for it if that number is true. This is CRAZY STOOPID money. This is a wake up call for AU because we have people in charge who think they're spending Monopoly money if he is actually hired for that amount of money.

AU doesn't have the security he wants. And until we can create a different perception, that's going to be the case with anyone we approach.

No, you're under the delusion that we must have CK. We don't have to have him and it isn't because of the $$$$ which you keep saying. As I quoted earlier, "Talked to his father in law today and he's not going [to AU] for any amount of money. Too unstable there right now and Jimbo has been good to him plus his daughter is a sr in HS." MONEY IS NOT THE OBJECT but you and AU keep wanting to shovel more of it CK's way. Like I said previously, family and career come before the money and CK apparently all he wants/needs at FSU.

AU still has a great negotiating position, just not with CK or others in the SEC and probably the ACC. AU has an historic tradition of producing excellent programs, football being preeminent, and paying well those who improve its status. Thinking otherwise sells AU short. The person with the gold rules, even in football.

Now if you can come up with a Jedi mind trick and will CK to AU then I'm all for it.

WDE !!!

Fact: Gus is not on the hot seat! Get over it, he's not, simple as that!

Fact: Jimbo is not stable at FSU as he wanted the LSU job but the Boosters wouldn't come up with the $50 million buyout for Les and Jimbo combined!

Fact: Gus didn't think TRob was ready, he knows more than us, believe it or not.

Fact: If we had a QB this season we are probably SEC champs are at least in there fighting for it! Gus has an SEC Championship and natty, then another SEC Championship, and played for the Natty!

QB situation didn't work out this year, will be better next year.

Relax people!

Lol. Are any of these actual facts?

Jimbo is completely secure at FSU. If he leaves it will be on HIS terms, not FSU forcing him out. There's a HUGE difference.

I would prefer that we take any offer, if we have offered, off of the table and go get someone that wants to be in Auburn. I respect Charles's decision. We shouldn't have to overpay anyone. He is definitely not in the same ballpark with Muschamp and he shouldn't be paid as such.

Does anyone else think $1.3 million is completely insane for a coach who has been a coordinator all of 2 years and one of those years was not great? That is a LOT of money for what I see still as a gamble. It seems we could go after a solid DC that is not at a power 5 school and pay at least 1/2 that and the gamble would essentially be equivalent.

Yes, but just take a look at who is doleing out the cash. It's not his money, and besides, in JJ's mind CCK is a Auburn man, he played for CPD,and if Auburn does get rid of CGM next year then JJ can just promote CK to HC and reverse the numbers on his contract to 3.1 mil to start out with. After all folks, he is a Auburn man and played for coach Dye!SMH. Try to think of it in a way that JJ could possiabily be thinking. Who knows?

I would prefer that we take any offer, if we have offered, off of the table and go get someone that wants to be in Auburn. I respect Charles's decision. We shouldn't have to overpay anyone. He is definitely not in the same ballpark with Muschamp and he shouldn't be paid as such.

That's just the problem...show me a list of who actually wants to be in Auburn as DC.

No, you're under the delusion that we must have CK.

Nope. This has nothing to do with CK in particular. This negotiating position we are in is the same no matter who we talk to, unless we pluck someone from a virtual unknown. If we're dealing with major conference, proven coordinators in stable situations, we will pay a premium compared to others for the same guy to overcome the perception of instability.

As I quoted earlier, "Talked to his father in law today and he's not going [to AU] for any amount of money. Too unstable there right now and Jimbo has been good to him plus his daughter is a sr in HS." MONEY IS NOT THE OBJECT but you and AU keep wanting to shovel more of it CK's way. Like I said previously, family and career come before the money and CK apparently all he wants/needs at FSU.

And that my prove to be true in the end. But they are still talking and we are still working on things that would overcome his concerns. Money is only one component of creating a more secure/stable situation for any candidate.

AU still has a great negotiating position, just not with CK or others in the SEC and probably the ACC. AU has an historic tradition of producing excellent programs, football being preeminent, and paying well those who improve its status. Thinking otherwise sells AU short. The person with the gold rules, even in football.

As I said, if we're looking for a proven coordinator with results at a Power 5 level, we are not in a good negotiating position compared to other schools. Georgia, Alabama, even South Carolina right now don't have this problem.

Now if you can come up with a Jedi mind trick and will CK to AU then I'm all for it.

No mind trick needed. He's still talking to us, still considering it. If we can assuage his concerns, we'll get him. If we can't, we won't.

If you don't want to overpay anyone, you're going to have to go find the up and comer guy at a lower level school trying to break into the big leagues. If you're only going to be satisfied with a guy with a proven track record of success at the higher level college programs, get ready to either pay more, guarantee more years on the deal, or both. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

At some point how embarrassing does this have to be for Gus? I mean, basically CK is telling him "look Gus I like you and I love Auburn but I think you will be fired after next year".

If you don't want to overpay anyone, you're going to have to go find the up and comer guy at a lower level school trying to break into the big leagues. If you're only going to be satisfied with a guy with a proven track record of success at the higher level college programs, get ready to either pay more, guarantee more years on the deal, or both. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

I don't disagree. I'm talking about this situation. If we are going to almost double his salary and he still can't make up his mind, then we should move on. In my opinion "Charles Kelly" doesn't have a good enough track record to warrant Muschamp money. I'm all for having to pay for a good candidate, but it shouldn't approach us having to bribe them with cash.

At some point how embarrassing does this have to be for Gus? I mean, basically CK is telling him "look Gus I like you and I love Auburn but I think you will be fired after next year".

I've been critical of how info has leaked and pointed the finger at our ADept. Could be, may not be. Could be FSU. But this situation we're facing in the media is why any negotiations have to be kept confidential, at the expense of keeping one's job. Hurts us in future negotiations. The Sentinel article really puts AU negotiating in a bad light.

If we promote LT to defensive coordinator, that's gonna look really bad on AU. And I'm afraid AU will look really bad on the field. One of my bammer friends was actually hoping he would get removed from the Alabama staff and voila, he shows up at Auburn. He's done well recruiting but his on-field product has done absolutely nothing to warrant such a promotion. Granted, the crop of defensive coordinators is not too great this year, LT is a total desperation move. If this happens, and I hope I'm wrong, it probably starts the beginning of the end for this staff as well. Coaching turnover has got to be slowed down at AU before we turn into TN and it takes us a decade to get back to where we should be.

His on-field product has actually been rather good. Frost and Cass had by far the best years of their careers. Tre Williams developed to the point that he became a starter and put a senior on the bench.

As to what bammers think about the situation, I recommend that you pay them no attention. Their comments are always self-serving and more often than not wrong.

There are a whole lot of days I wish there was no such thing as a message board. It is nice to be able to keep up with things but all of this negativity sure does get old sometimes. In the very near future, Auburn will have a great defensive coordinator signed and ready to go. Count on it. Gus is not going anywhere next year and Auburn will have a very good team despite a very challenging schedule. Count on it. Sometimes we just need to have a little faith that things will work out for the best. I believe it will.

In my best Spurrier voice ... "It's embarrassing, just embarrassing. And we have nobody fooled. It's just embarrassing!"

If we promote LT to defensive coordinator, that's gonna look really bad on AU. And I'm afraid AU will look really bad on the field. One of my bammer friends was actually hoping he would get removed from the Alabama staff and voila, he shows up at Auburn. He's done well recruiting but his on-field product has done absolutely nothing to warrant such a promotion. Granted, the crop of defensive coordinators is not too great this year, LT is a total desperation move. If this happens, and I hope I'm wrong, it probably starts the beginning of the end for this staff as well. Coaching turnover has got to be slowed down at AU before we turn into TN and it takes us a decade to get back to where we should be.

Where should we be though?

Because in the last decade AU is 2-8 vs UGA, 3-7 vs LSU, 4-6 vs Arky, 4-6 vs UAT.

So where the hell "should" we be in the next decade?

Read that how you will, but AU is one of the 15 winningest programs of all time. That's where we should be. There is no reason for the records that you listed. That's pathetic. 2010 and 2013 are where we should be. Contending for something and at the very least, being competitive in EVERY game is where we should be. All of the coaching turnover, imo, has made that nearly impossible.

I don't disagree. I'm talking about this situation. If we are going to almost double his salary and he still can't make up his mind, then we should move on. In my opinion "Charles Kelly" doesn't have a good enough track record to warrant Muschamp money. I'm all for having to pay for a good candidate, but it shouldn't approach us having to bribe them with cash.

Well despite the disagreements with Elephant Tipper, we do agree that money is not the primary hold up at this point. I don't know what percentages to apply to the other possible factors, but they'd include things like: Loyalty to Jimbo for giving him the opportunity, daughter is a senior in high school there, stable situation at FSU with great talent coming in, and so on. I have no idea if there are any issues related to how many guys he wants to bring on staff (meaning we may have to get rid of someone). But whatever the things are, and whatever order of priority they are in, I don't think at this point money is one of them.

Archived