Charles Kelly

RunInRed

Now, please stop the "I guess we have to settle for Lance" talk and let the next hand be dealt.

I don't think Lance is "settling", any more than FSU "settled" for Kelly after Pruitt left.

This is also a good point.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two years of work? How about two years of pay? How about the prospect of getting picked up by someone else? Did anyone else notice all of CWMs' UF assistants were snapped up in weeks after CWM was fired? How many of them are double dipping?

The truth is there is more money to be made by going to a program where you might lose your job due to a head coaching change, and if you are halfway competent, there are always openings. Even Lefty found a job fairly quick.

Most contract have a contingency that buyouts are offset by the salary from any new position, so there isn't a lot of "double dipping" going on.

I would prefer that we take any offer, if we have offered, off of the table and go get someone that wants to be in Auburn. I respect Charles's decision. We shouldn't have to overpay anyone. He is definitely not in the same ballpark with Muschamp and he shouldn't be paid as such.

If you don't want to overpay anyone, you're going to have to go find the up and comer guy at a lower level school trying to break into the big leagues. If you're only going to be satisfied with a guy with a proven track record of success at the higher level college programs, get ready to either pay more, guarantee more years on the deal, or both. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

I thought the Ga Southern DC was a possibility. This is at a lower level school and he has had a lot of success. They went overtime vs UGA this year.

Gus has to get this hire right. I don't want him to rush it, and get it wrong like last year. I guess some of us want the hire now just so we can have something new to talk about. patience grasshoppers...patience

Now, please stop the "I guess we have to settle for Lance" talk and let the next hand be dealt.

I don't think Lance is "settling", any more than FSU "settled" for Kelly after Pruitt left.

Whether he is or not wasn't the point I was making... The issue is we strike out once and people are claiming utter failure and the need for a bailout. For all I know, Lance has always been on Gus's list... or maybe he's not at all. Only time will tell. What is annoying is the "whoa is me" contingent of the Auburn faithful who see potential failure around every corner.

I would prefer that we take any offer, if we have offered, off of the table and go get someone that wants to be in Auburn. I respect Charles's decision. We shouldn't have to overpay anyone. He is definitely not in the same ballpark with Muschamp and he shouldn't be paid as such.

If you don't want to overpay anyone, you're going to have to go find the up and comer guy at a lower level school trying to break into the big leagues. If you're only going to be satisfied with a guy with a proven track record of success at the higher level college programs, get ready to either pay more, guarantee more years on the deal, or both. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

I thought the Ga Southern DC was a possibility. I is at a lower level school and he has had a lot of success. They went overtime vs UGA this year.

Georgia had a horrible offense. They're even worse than us and Florida.

Someone please explain to me how, when we didn't land one DC candidate, the cupboard is suddenly bare and we have failed? Raise your hand if you know who is on Gus's target list and if any of those coaches, other than Kelly, have said "no".

I doubt Lance is on anyone else's radar for DC, unless Kirby takes him, and that might only be out of convenience.

The people saying Gus isn't on the hot seat must not have been alive the past 17 games or so.

If Gus isn't on the hot seat, I don't know what the hot seat is. This defensive coordinator situation could be one of his last moves if it doesn't work out. We HAVE to at least get someone better than Lance Thompson.

There are Hot Seats because of X's and O's or W's and L's and Hot Seats because of Dollar$ and Cent$.

Cole Cubelic just tweeted that the Kelly is staying put and used us as leverage. https://twitter.com/...397656085176320

Yeah, it seemed very illogical to come here but I really thought money could work in this scenario.

Next season is gonna be rough I see.

Yea, because there are no other possibly good DC candidates who would like to coach for a team that has gone to the National Championship Game 2 of the last 6 years. Might as well just disband the football team. We've got that huge scoreboard now, so we can just convert Jordan Hare to a concert venue.

Cole Cubelic just tweeted that the Kelly is staying put and used us as leverage. https://twitter.com/...397656085176320

Yeah, it seemed very illogical to come here but I really thought money could work in this scenario.

Yea, because there are no other possibly good DC candidates who would like to coach for a team that has gone to the National Championship Game 2 of the last 6 years. Might as well just disband the football team. We've got that huge scoreboard now, so we can just convert Jordan Hare to a concert venue.

Great. Offer one of those then. :)

I'm sure Gus is working on exactly that...

I'm sure Gus is working on exactly that...

One can hope. I'll send that guy a Christmas card. :)

I thought the Ga Southern DC was a possibility. I is at a lower level school and he has had a lot of success. They went overtime vs UGA this year.

I remember someone mentioning him but I have no idea what scheme he runs or if he's on Gus's list.

I also agree that Lance could end up being a really good hire. It's just been a while since he's been a DC and I think it was reasonable to investigate other options like Kelly first.

Not a simple cure-all

Would still require a proper search

Can't offer just anyone

I remember someone mentioning him but I have no idea what scheme he runs

Going strictly by a GSU depth chart, I would guess a 4-3.

Not a simple cure-all

Would still require a proper search

Can't offer just anyone

Understood, that's why I don't want to punt and offer Lance before we have exhausted all other possibilities.

Ohio State and the turds both have their new DC. Come on Gus/Jay!

I wonder why they filled theirs quicker? Hmmmmmmmm?

Pruitt worked there before was a natural fit....not sure about the OSU guy....

He wasn't their 1st choice from many reports.

Did their fanbase crumble when they found out they had to hire the 2nd man up?

So they already have their second or third choice and we.. oh never mind.

LOL. If LT is the "2nd man up" then we haven't done our job looking hard enough.

No, they kind of have faith in the HC. I think ours may be lacking.

Archived