Charles Kelly

RunInRed

So Trob is off the table? Even if we offered a million?

Trob would not leave USCe, where he is guaranteed at least 2-3 years, to come this way. Plus, He has Will there as a support system.

So to sum it up we are screwed... Next how bout Paul Rhodes, he's good not sure of his ability to recruit the area strong. Doubt he'd get it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trob would not leave USCe, where he is guaranteed at least 2-3 years, to come this way. Plus, He has Will there as a support system.

So to sum it up we are screwed... Next how bout Paul Rhodes, he's good not sure of his ability to recruit the area strong. Doubt he'd get it.

Rhoads runs a traditional 4-3 with a completely different scheme and strategy. We'd be starting these guys over from square one.

Rhoads runs a traditional 4-3 with a completely different scheme and strategy. We'd be starting these guys over from square one.

So Lance Thompson?

wde

So Lance Thompson?

wde

Total guess, but I think it's looking that way. I don't see how we pull Bob Shoop away from Penn State. He already makes $1M per year and I think he wants to be a head coach sooner rather than later.

Similiar styles are Will, Pruitt, Kelly, Trob, and Lance Thompson as far as names we've heard. We can't be stuck with LT. Someone else out there we have a legit shot to get?

Similiar styles are Will, Pruitt, Kelly, Trob, and Lance Thompson as far as names we've heard. We can't be stuck with LT. Someone else out there we have a legit shot to get?

Don't really know. Bob Shoop's name has come up but he seems like he'd be tough to pull.

So Lance Thompson?

wde

Total guess, but I think it's looking that way. I don't see how we pull Bob Shoop away from Penn State. He already makes $1M per year and I think he wants to be a head coach sooner rather than later.

Got it. Not asking for inside info, just your opinion. Thanks. We are a mess, but unless Gus can pull a flying monkey out of his butt who is a established DC then I think Thompson may be the best choice out of a bad situation. Hopefully, if LT is the guy he can make changes as he sees fit in terms of assistants.

wde

I am sorry why is LT not a candidate anyone finds viable?

Fact: Gus is not on the hot seat! Get over it, he's not, simple as that!

Fact: Jimbo is not stable at FSU as he wanted the LSU job but the Boosters wouldn't come up with the $50 million buyout for Les and Jimbo combined!

Fact: Gus didn't think TRob was ready, he knows more than us, believe it or not.

Fact: If we had a QB this season we are probably SEC champs are at least in there fighting for it! Gus has an SEC Championship and natty, then another SEC Championship, and played for the Natty!

QB situation didn't work out this year, will be better next year.

Relax people!

Lol. Are any of these actual facts?

Jimbo is completely secure at FSU. If he leaves it will be on HIS terms, not FSU forcing him out. There's a HUGE difference.

Agree, my point is/was Jimbo wanted (or was seriously interested in) the LSU job. It was the LSU money folks that said No, not Jimbo.

You have said what I have been thinking. However, I am not so sure that LSU was in the picture as much as we have been led to believe. Everything thing else is in 100% agreement. Next year, Miles will have a 10-2 record with one of those losses coming from us. The other will be Florida. Miles will be at LSU for the next 3-5 years before he retires. Jimbo's next job will be at the University of Texas or maybe TAMU. TAMU and Texas have far more $$$ than LSU could ever dream of.

He is the most viable left right now it appears. IMO, TRob (even without ever being a DC before) would have been a better choice, but since we have appeared to not have been able to hire an established DC, then LT is the most logical.

wde

Great question. Until a couple of years ago, Kelly was just an LB coach like CLT.

Of course if Smart pulls CLT away from us to be his DC, everyone who has pooh-poohed CLT will be melting down.

Cole Cubelic just tweeted that the Kelly is staying put and used us as leverage. https://twitter.com/...397656085176320

Cole doesn't know that. He's just speculating (using us as leverage). Most people that know Kelly say he wouldn't do that. If he's turned us down, it wasn't to play for a raise. He genuinely considered it and FSU is doing what they have to do in a situation like this.

Great question. Until a couple of years ago, Kelly was just an LB coach like CLT.

Of course if Smart pulls CLT away from us to be his DC, everyone who has pooh-poohed CLT will be melting down.

FWIW, I am not pooh-poohing LT. I think he is the best we can do right now. If Smart offers him, then he will be gone and rightfully so since he will have at least 2 years of work.

wde

Cole Cubelic just tweeted that the Kelly is staying put and used us as leverage. https://twitter.com/...397656085176320

Cole doesn't know that. He's just speculating (using us as leverage). Most people that know Kelly say he wouldn't do that. If he's turned us down, it wasn't to play for a raise. He genuinely considered it and FSU is doing what they have to do in a situation like this.

If this is true then Kelly is a fool. If you make $500K, and another school offers you a big raise to move, you take that offer letter back to your employer and point out to them the market has defined your value higher than the current employer does, and the current employer needs to address that.

True. Cole, JGT, PM, JLee, BM know very little. There are posters on this site and others that know more than them.

wde

Someone please explain to me how, when we didn't land one DC candidate, the cupboard is suddenly bare and we have failed? Raise your hand if you know who is on Gus's target list and if any of those coaches, other than Kelly, have said "no".

Now, please stop the "I guess we have to settle for Lance" talk and let the next hand be dealt.

If this is true then Kelly is a fool. If you make $500K, and another school offers you a big raise to move, you take that offer letter back to your employer and point out to them the market has defined your value higher than the current employer does, and the current employer needs to address that.

What I'm saying is, he wasn't playing a game to get a raise. He was/is genuinely interested in coming to Auburn. He has stayed in communication with Jimbo/FSU about this the whole time. As a result, they are ponying up the bucks to keep him. But he didn't set out to use Auburn for a raise.

True. Cole, JGT, PM, JLee, BM know very little. There are posters on this site and others that know more than them.

wde

I wouldn't put Jay and PM in that category. JLee and BMatt are focused on recruiting, not inner workings at the school or AD. Cole is just a radio/TV dude.

@TitanTiger I was not trying to imply that he was doing it deceitfully, but he did use our offer to get a raise. The situation seems to be more stable and they are willing to match it. I am in no way calling him a lair, but he just used good business tactics.

FWIW, I am not pooh-poohing LT. I think he is the best we can do right now. If Smart offers him, then he will be gone and rightfully so since he will have at least 2 years of work.

wde

Two years of work? How about two years of pay? How about the prospect of getting picked up by someone else? Did anyone else notice all of CWMs' UF assistants were snapped up in weeks after CWM was fired? How many of them are double dipping?

The truth is there is more money to be made by going to a program where you might lose your job due to a head coaching change, and if you are halfway competent, there are always openings. Even Lefty found a job fairly quick.

Now, please stop the "I guess we have to settle for Lance" talk and let the next hand be dealt.

I don't think Lance is "settling", any more than FSU "settled" for Kelly after Pruitt left.

Archived