Cam Newton, MVP?

RunInRed

From a national perspective, it seems there has always been somewhat of a "negative" vibe towards him. For the past few years all you heard was Andrew Luck will be the greatest ever and how he was head and shoulders above Cam (even in college). I believe we are seeing the true value of each. While Luck is good, he is not on the same level as Cam.

From a national perspective, it seems there has always been somewhat of a "negative" vibe towards him. For the past few years all you heard was Andrew Luck will be the greatest ever and how he was head and shoulders above Cam (even in college). I believe we are seeing the true value of each. While Luck is good, he is not on the same level as Cam.

Well Luck has the skills to be a great qb. He has some work to do to take the next step. As for the attitude towards Cam, consider this. We've seen multiple people come into the NFL with great athletic ability but never developed to a top qb who can operate from the pocket. They relied on their ability to run too much. The question was whether or not Cam would do what it took to be a pocket oriented qb or just rely on his athletic ability. He has done that so attitudes are changing. I believe that crash last year played a bit of a role.

Well Luck has the skills to be a great qb. He has some work to do to take the next step. As for the attitude towards Cam, consider this. We've seen multiple people come into the NFL with great athletic ability but never developed to a top qb who can operate from the pocket. They relied on their ability to run too much. The question was whether or not Cam would do what it took to be a pocket oriented qb or just rely on his athletic ability. He has done that so attitudes are changing. I believe that crash last year played a bit of a role.

Back to my comment...if he could not run....the Panthers would be 5-9

The whole NFL = no fun league, still has some of the football snobs trying to put Cam in a nice tidy box whereas some see him as a unique football player - which we auburn fans know him to be.

I'm not sure I'll go so far as to say he is redefining the position but he sure is doing it differently than everyone else. And the most mind boggling thing to the "no funs" is he is doing it with a smile on his face, with fun and class. All the things auburn folks saw from Cam in 2010.

Back to my comment...if he could not run....the Panthers would be 5-9

Sure but his passing ability has made tremendous strides. That is the difference between this Cam and previous versions. It's what has him in line to possibly be the MVP. Even as recently as last year, he hadn't progressed enough to have a game like he had against the giants. As time rolls on that running ability will decline in effectiveness much quicker than throwing the ball. I don't care how big you are, you keep taking those hits game after game over multiple seasons, it's going to take a toll physically. I realize how his line hasn't been good enough to protect him like they'd like.

He won't do it and I hope he doesn't get famous over it. He doesn't deserve it. I can tell from this guys Twitter that he is a real tool.

Jim Rome Monday morning sports commentator types are always full of hot air. And they get paid to be full of hot air. I'm surprised Cowherd admitted he was wrong about Saban.

• 2 weeks later...

Cam's numbers today.

21/26 296 yards 2 TDs and 0 picks.

6 rushes for 10 yards and 2 TDs.

Cam's numbers today.

I didn't get to watch it today but I kept up with the stats on my phone. I'm surprised the offense was able to move the ball like it did.

Cam's numbers today.

I didn't get to watch it today but I kept up with the stats on my phone. I'm surprised the offense was able to move the ball like it did.

Looked good today. CAP scored his first TD.

Some talking heads are trying to promote Russel Wilson as a contender, I hope its too little too late or just presenting an option to consider.

Some talking heads are trying to promote Russel Wilson as a contender, I hope its too little too late or just presenting an option to consider.

Meh. After Brady and Palmer both bombed week 17 there really isn't a better option. I wouldn't be shocked if it's unanimous.

It won't be unanimous. Brady will get a few votes.

I don't see how. Pats have lost two games in a row. Not to mention the performance Cam had yesterday with a couple rookies, and an undrafted free agent at WR.

It won't be unanimous. Brady will get a few votes.

I don't see how. Pats have lost two games in a row. Not to mention the performance Cam had yesterday with a couple rookies, and an undrafted free agent at WR.

As far as I know there has only been one unanimous MVP. That was Brady back in 2011. Some people just like to be contrary. It's like the people who won't vote for anyone to be in the HOF the first time they are eligible.

• 1 month later...

Haven't announced on the awards show yet, but we all knew it was a foregone conclusion.

Archived