Jordan-Hare Stadium Renovation

logan adams

Just an FYI- the BOT meetings begin today and continue through tomorrow. The stadium doesn't appear as a specific action item for the Property and Facilities Committee, items 1-8 in the executive summary(PDF pages 4,5,6). It could be addressed under item #9 Status Updates (PDF page 6) for previously approved projects, ie. the previously approved contract on the stadium design. Of course they could change the agenda anytime they want based on the workshop meeting that starts today at 1:30pm.

The PDF further shows:

page 35- over $10,634,651 is approved and underway for storm drain and sewer repairs for Jordan Hare stadium.

page 42- the J-H sewer repairs are in the construction phase.

page 42- the J-H improvements are in the design phase. Next step would be the static design approval.

https://www.auburn.e...rials160408.pdf

Hmmmm. It doesn't look like Jay Jacobs and the Architect are slated to go before the BOT with their new plans, the results of the feasibility study, or the plan to finance this huge (+$150mm) project. Surely something of this magnitude would require it's own lengthy segment on the agenda?

Didn't the cost get a major reduction?

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Planning is done. It's all about raising money now ... and there's a lot of it that needs to be raised before Auburn can take on what would become the largest capital project the University has ever undertaken - $185MM. As I've been told, if the Auburn people 'want it' they are going to have to vote with their pocket books. Realistically, I don't see shovels in the ground until after the 2017 season.

Why wouldn't the Auburn people want it? are they happy being left behind as other schools in the SEC (like bammer) are adding more seats or giving their stadiums a face lifts to make the stadiums look a lot better.

Planning is done. It's all about raising money now ... and there's a lot of it that needs to be raised before Auburn can take on what would become the largest capital project the University has ever undertaken - $185MM. As I've been told, if the Auburn people 'want it' they are going to have to vote with their pocket books. Realistically, I don't see shovels in the ground until after the 2017 season.

That is a self imposed obstacle, of course, because they are well aware that most projects this size are funded with bond issues, not cash. This could either be an excuse, or, there is likely a realistic concern that adding this project to the total of the bonds issued on capital projects already underway, would have a negative effect on AU's bond rating. Either way it's another delay. It is what it is and in the meantime.....

That is a self imposed obstacle, of course, because they are well aware that most projects this size are funded with bond issues, not cash. This could either be an excuse, or, there is likely a realistic concern that adding this project to the total of the bonds issued on capital projects already underway, would have a negative effect on AU's bond rating. Either way it's another delay. It is what it is and in the meantime.....

I have no clue on bond issues or stuff like that but future projects may have to have significant capitol raised before the BOT would even vote on the project.

I have no clue on bond issues or stuff like that but future projects may have to have significant capitol raised before the BOT would even vote on the project.

It's an enigma if you will. A secret code is required to solve the mystery.

In this case, the proforma isn't the issue. It's the upfront cash to get the project going. "Wanting it" and being willing to open your checkbook are two different things. Auburn's out there shaking the cup right now trying to get the funds ...

In this case, the proforma isn't the issue. It's the upfront cash to get the project going. "Wanting it" and being willing to open your checkbook are two different things. Auburn's out there shaking the cup right now trying to get the funds ...

That's really good to know. How much upfront money do they feel they need to raise to get the project going ?

Here's a good start. Yes, i know it's not all going to the stadium but a good example is here below.

Auburn kicks off $1 billion campaign, announces largest gift ever to university

Published: 04/18/2015

By: Mike Clardy

AUBURN UNIVERSITY – With the public kickoff of an ambitious $1 billion comprehensive campaign Saturday – including the announcement of the largest single gift in school history—Auburn University is delivering a renewed commitment to its students and faculty, a continued promise to the state of Alabama and a shared responsibility to the world.

Auburn also announced it has raised more than $775 million to date in support of the "Because This is Auburn" campaign, the largest in Auburn's history and one of the largest fundraising campaigns to date in the state.

"Today, we show the world why we believe in Auburn University," said Auburn President Jay Gogue. "This effort is unprecedented in Auburn's 160-year history. This campaign will add new chapters to Auburn's story and will make Auburn stronger for all the generations that follow."

Before Saturday's kickoff celebration at the A-Day football game, John and Rosemary Brown, both 1957 Auburn graduates, committed to Auburn $57 million, the largest gift in school history. The gift will fund two major new facilities: a new performing arts center and a student achievement center in the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering.

http://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_articles/2015/04/auburn-kicks-off-1-billion-campaign,-announces-largest-gift-ever-to-university.htm

Here's a good start. Yes, i know it's not all going to the stadium but a good example is here below.

Auburn kicks off $1 billion campaign, announces largest gift ever to university

Published: 04/18/2015

By: Mike Clardy

AUBURN UNIVERSITY – With the public kickoff of an ambitious $1 billion comprehensive campaign Saturday – including the announcement of the largest single gift in school history—Auburn University is delivering a renewed commitment to its students and faculty, a continued promise to the state of Alabama and a shared responsibility to the world.

Auburn also announced it has raised more than $775 million to date in support of the "Because This is Auburn" campaign, the largest in Auburn's history and one of the largest fundraising campaigns to date in the state.

"Today, we show the world why we believe in Auburn University," said Auburn President Jay Gogue. "This effort is unprecedented in Auburn's 160-year history. This campaign will add new chapters to Auburn's story and will make Auburn stronger for all the generations that follow."

Before Saturday's kickoff celebration at the A-Day football game, John and Rosemary Brown, both 1957 Auburn graduates, committed to Auburn $57 million, the largest gift in school history. The gift will fund two major new facilities: a new performing arts center and a student achievement center in the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering.

http://ocm.auburn.ed...-university.htm

excellent. Good for them. Great news for the university.

That's really good to know. How much upfront money do they feel they need to raise to get the project going ?

$50-$60 million from what I'm hearing ...

Haven't they been shaking the cup for a while though? Seriously, Jay has made it appear (at least publicly) for years now that this thing was pretty much a done deal and they'd start slinging brick 'n mortar at the end of the 2016 season.

Now it appears that the plan and design phase is completed, the proforma is set with revenue/expense projections in place. The amount of money already spent in the design phase + the firm they paid to do the feasibility study is a sizable chunk of $$ I'm sure.

So they've decided that the project is feasible and they start shaking the cup really hard to get it filled so that "maybe" they can collect enough to commence construction?

Why do other SEC programs seem to have the capability of getting this type of renovation/upgrade to come to fruition so much faster than AU?

$50-$60 million from what I'm hearing ...

Ah ok, thanks. That's certainly doable.

Haven't they been shaking the cup for a while though? Seriously, Jay has made it appear (at least publicly) for years now that this thing was pretty much a done deal and they'd start slinging brick 'n mortar at the end of the 2016 season.

Now it appears that the plan and design phase is completed, the proforma is set with revenue/expense projections in place. The amount of money already spent in the design phase + the firm they paid to do the feasibility study is a sizable chunk of $$ I'm sure.

So they've decided that the project is feasible and they start shaking the cup really hard to get it filled so that "maybe" they can collect enough to commence construction?

Why do other SEC programs seem to have the capability of getting this type of renovation/upgrade to come to fruition so much faster than AU?

It's quite embarrassing actually. The video board was honestly just an on-the-whim project. We found out about it and it was like the next day it was being built. While I love the video board and sound system, everything that is in the renderings for this next update was way more necessary than the board.

It's quite embarrassing actually. The video board was honestly just an on-the-whim project. We found out about it and it was like the next day it was being built. While I love the video board and sound system, everything that is in the renderings for this next update was way more necessary than the board.

Embarrassing indeed. Especially when we see multiple programs in our conference moving forward with their projects, i.e. Arkansas, OleMiss, MSU, LSU renovated two years ago. I saw an article this week where Tennessee already has plans in the works for another renovation, adding more amenities, new suites, etc. I thought UT was broke?

The added revenue from the SEC Network should help programs fund these projects, right? And as long as the SEC continues to compete and win national championships, that network revenue will increase, adding more to the coffers. Before anyone rebuts the network revenue, I know AU had to spend money to accommodate the SECN - but so did every other SEC program. They ALL had to add broadcasting infrastructure and media/wireless capabilities along with staffing to support the network at its inception. So AU is no different in that line of expense. The revenue with be pouring in now so why can't it be used in part to help fund the JHS project?

Embarrassing indeed. Especially when we see multiple programs in our conference moving forward with their projects, i.e. Arkansas, OleMiss, MSU, LSU renovated two years ago. I saw an article this week where Tennessee already has plans in the works for another renovation, adding more amenities, new suites, etc. I thought UT was broke?

The added revenue from the SEC Network should help programs fund these projects, right? And as long as the SEC continues to compete and win national championships, that network revenue will increase, adding more to the coffers. Before anyone rebuts the network revenue, I know AU had to spend money to accommodate the SECN - but so did every other SEC program. They ALL had to add broadcasting infrastructure and media/wireless capabilities along with staffing to support the network at its inception. So AU is no different in that line of expense. The revenue with be pouring in now so why can't it be used in part to help fund the JHS project?

JMO but I expect that the SEC income is considered as being "earned" by all AU sports and likely there is a sharing formula.....and considering the complaints I read about baseball and some other sport's facilities, seems reasonable that the money should be used to help upgrade those facilities too.

Haven't seem too much indication that throwing money at a football stadium has done much for attendance (except enlargements) and only a few folks really believe that we need more seating in Auburn.

Guess if someone wanted to make comparisons about investments in football facilities it would be good to take a 10 year picture and see what UT, OM and others have done compared to AU. Seems we have been big spending pretty serious money on our football program year after year....but often in less visible places like practice, academics, residences, etc.

We could have found a better use of that money then installing a new scoreboard. That must have been Jacobs baby because every he talked to the media, a lot of time he'd be talking about that board and not about the upcoming 2015 football season.

We could have found a better use of that money then installing a new scoreboard. That must have been Jacobs baby because every he talked to the media, a lot of time he'd be talking about that board and not about the upcoming 2015 football season.

Jay is really good at distraction. The 2014 season ended poorly with us losing 4 of our last 5 games including the bowl loss to a Barry Alvarez coached Wisky team....and Jay turns our heads and gets us all pumped about the biggest scoreboard in existence. The 2015 season was poor by AU standards and Jay distracts us with talks of the massive JHS renovation project and attempts to get us fired up about the construction commencing after the 2016 season ends..........then the feasibility study proceeds and now we hear crickets on the status of the project.

^Really, I don't remember anyone being mad at the 2014 finish (I was). If we want a change, we may have to stop going to games. Unpopular opinion, maybe, but it's likely the only thing we can do.

Just a question for those complaining about us keeping up with other SEC schools and the need to raise more money for stadium upgrades, etc,..........how much have you donated to support the athletic budget?

$775 million has already been raised.

None of that is earmarked for the stadium; primarily educational.

Not all earmarked per say; plus I am just using it as an example of how much can be raised so quickly. I mean one billion in a couple years...Wow!

With the right leadership, it can and needs to get done!!

Jay is really good at distraction. The 2014 season ended poorly with us losing 4 of our last 5 games including the bowl loss to a Barry Alvarez coached Wisky team....and Jay turns our heads and gets us all pumped about the biggest scoreboard in existence. The 2015 season was poor by AU standards and Jay distracts us with talks of the massive JHS renovation project and attempts to get us fired up about the construction commencing after the 2016 season ends..........then the feasibility study proceeds and now we hear crickets on the status of the project.

Well, they are having trouble getting cash up front needed to secure the project.

Question, is it these renovations that you think are so important or stadium upgrades in general and you don't care what form they take?

Archived