2016 Tx Tech GT QB Davis Webb (Flip to Cal 5/18/16)

JMassie11

Question:

If SW, who came in a much more accomplished and polished QB, struggled as a RFr, what makes people think WB will be ready to surpass the other QBs as a RFr?

Because there are people who still think we need a dual-threat, and now that John hasn't come in rocked everyone's world, they've moved to the next best dual-threat candidate.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this what AU has become in the last five years in basketball and football. Scrambling around looking for Jucos ,grad transfers and unhappy guys looking to transfer ?

In basketball... yes... we need depth and talent until Pearl can get a mature squad.

In football, we don't look for them, they look for us. We have proven to be a great place for transfers to showcase and make it to the next level. With Cam being... well... Cam, and both Nicks coming out of JuCo, succeeding mightily at AU, and ending up in the NFL, anyone looking to transfer, especially to the SEC, is going to give us a look. If they are great players, we're certainly not going to say "sorry, not interested".

We reached out to Webb twice FTR.

How many teams have offered Webb???

Colorado is the only known offer. AU likely won't officially offer until they know they got him.

Is it due to his disinterest in other teams or do other teams feel he isn't worthy of an offer?

I have no clue. I'm not on any of their coaching staffs.

Question:

If SW, who came in a much more accomplished and polished QB, struggled as a RFr, what makes people think WB will be ready to surpass the other QBs as a RFr?

Because WB hasn't played for Auburn, therefore he can't suck and has to be the answer.

Yellow font.

But once he does he will suck cuz he's coming to AU from HS. Yellow also.

My answer would be that SW is now a RSS and he and the other two didn't show much improvement in the A-Day game. I'm not sure SW come in anymore ready than anyone else. Maybe I am remembering wrong but didn't SW really make a name for himself in he elite 8 games? I guess I am more hoping for something better than anything else. Because if we don't get anything better we will more than likely be looking for a new coach.

My answer would be that SW is now a RSS and he and the other two didn't show much improvement in the A-Day game. I'm not sure SW come in anymore ready than anyone else. Maybe I am remembering wrong but didn't SW really make a name for himself in he elite 8 games? I guess I am more hoping for something better than anything else. Because if we don't get anything better we will more than likely be looking for a new coach.

I disagree that they didn't show much improvement. Both he and Jeremy showed more touch on their passes than they had previously shown. Other than that... it's A-Day. I can't remember the last time one of our QBs had a great A-Day.

Yes, Sean won the Elite 11.

How many teams have offered Webb???

Colorado is the only known offer. AU likely won't officially offer until they know they got him.

Is it due to his disinterest in other teams or do other teams feel he isn't worthy of an offer?

I have no clue. I'm not on any of their coaching staffs.

My point is, I'm sure there are more teams out there who need a QB. Webb should be getting more offers one would think.

What was Cam's A-day stats---like 3of 8 or something??? Why are people looking at A-Day as any indication of our qb play this fall. The coaches see them in "closed" practices every day and know who the best one is for AU this fall!! Everyone needs to slow down on the A-Day meltdowns, imho !!

My point is, I'm sure there are more teams out there who need a QB. Webb should be getting more offers one would think.

Not really. "Offers" on these types of situations don't go out til a team feels they have the guy or have a very good shot of landing him. Don't want to piss off current QBs if you don't have to.

What was Cam's A-day stats---like 3of 8 or something??? Why are people looking at A-Day as any indication of our qb play this fall. The coaches see them in "closed" practices every day and know who the best one is for AU this fall!! Everyone needs to slow down on the A-Day meltdowns, imho !!

After Cam Newton's A-day performance, many felt he still had a huge upside. The talent was there, his head was calm and teachable. After, Cam Newton's first 2 to 4 ball games he still had a huge upside, and he continued to get better each week! Obviously, you can feel free to disagree, but many feel our current top three quarterbacks, have for the most part, already reached full potential. Again, wether you agree or not is another story, but many don't feel our current three QB's full potential, is good enough to win and win consistently in the SEC.

Get the topic on Webb or we are locking it guys. There is too much in here to pull out into a general QB discussion thread, which there are a few of on the football forum as is. Take the non Webb stuff over there please.

Not really. "Offers" on these types of situations don't go out til a team feels they have the guy or have a very good shot of landing him. Don't want to piss off current QBs if you don't have to.

I understand what your saying, but teams would still at least feel him out right? I mean if your current QB's aren't cutting it, it's a coaches job to win games... A visit would piss them off also right? Just as much as the actual offer.

I understand what your saying, but teams would still at least feel him out right? I mean if your current QB's aren't cutting it, it's a coaches job to win games... A visit would piss them off also right? Just as much as the actual offer.

Not sure a visit would piss them off. Also we don't know that other teams did or did not reach out to him. A lot of that stuff is done privately. Also he could have said schools A, B, & C are the only 1s I will talk to.

If you really think that we'd go out and get Webb after the spring and sw still starts that's a great indication you have an unhealthy crush on the kid....If you have worked out any kinda logic to convince yourself that sw is better than Webb you're probably sw dad or something....only logical thing you could maybe say is sw knows the playbook better. But hey if you convinced yourself that he's fast and agile enough to be a run threat for defenses and he can make every NFL throw on the field and he can throw 75 yards, etc....then I imagine that some could.

IDK if this Webb stuff is true but if they get him here he's playing and they are disappointed with every qb that we have that's NOT hurt. If we would've went after that qb that went to Virginia tech instead of jf3 Gus would've named him the starting qb last week

If you really think that we'd go out and get Webb after the spring and sw still starts that's a great indication you have an unhealthy crush on the kid....If you have worked out any kinda logic to convince yourself that sw is better than Webb you're probably sw dad or something....only logical thing you could maybe say is sw knows the playbook better. But hey if you convinced yourself that he's fast and agile enough to be a run threat for defenses and he can make every NFL throw on the field and he can throw 75 yards, etc....then I imagine that some could.

IDK if this Webb stuff is true but if they get him here he's playing and they are disappointed with every qb that we have that's NOT hurt. If we would've went after that qb that went to Virginia tech instead of jf3 Gus would've named him the starting qb last week

I think Webb and White give us a one-two setup at QB that doesn't require changing the offense. Which one starts is not the point.

Some just grasp at anything that will support their firmly convictions....see that stuff here all the time

The thing is, Cole- and this is exactly what I said when we initially courted this guy- we need two good QBs, which we aren't even close to having in my opinion. A lot of people around here- even smart people- were saying that 5 was enough, and paying absolutely no attention whatsoever to the quality of those 5 guys: a guy still in high school, a redshirt freshman coming off surgery who wasn't even able to practice last year, a total and complete project who wasn't even listed as a quarterback by the recruiting services, the worst quarterback in recent SEC history through 3 games, and a sophomore with extremely limited experience. Anyway, I disagree that Gus pursuing the guy means 100% that he doesn't like Sean.

Now, if we actually get the guy, then it does sound like maybe we made him a promise. And, pure conjecture, I'm getting the feeling that Gus isn't happy with Sean on a personal level. But, in theory, I disagree that Gus looking for another quarterback means we don't have a single guy who is talented enough to start.

As for thinking Sean might actually be a good quarterback, no, that's not having a crush on him or being a family member. From what I saw of his film before he came to Auburn, he looked like a special kid to me. I said so before the 2015 season started. I said that he might genuinely push JJ in spring ball last year, even though I- like everybody else- assumed that JJ would be a pretty good quarterback. Sean doesn't throw it 75 yards, but he throws a hell of a football, good enough to run any offense in the SEC. He's not going to succeed with a lot of called runs, but he absolutely is mobile in the pocket. He's not fast, but he's very quick and can move around very well laterally while keeping his eyes downfield. This is why- along with, yes, his measurables- I've said that he reminds me a bit of a poor man's Drew Brees, which I know you disagree with. I don't "want" him to be good any more than I want all Auburn quarterbacks to be good. I don't love him, and certainly not because he's white, because "he's well spoken", because "he's got heart", because "he comes from a good family" or any of that other crap that people say about kids like Sean. (You didn't assign those sentiments to anybody, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.)

For the record, I'm high on Webb and am glad we're giving it a shot. I do think he could be the closest thing to what we hoped Jeremy would be. But, like Sean, I'm making my assessment based off the only meaningful information I have at my disposal, which is his film. I don't care what his stats are, I don't care why he didn't finish his career as a starter at Texas Tech and I don't care why he's looking for another team. When I watch him play football, I see him do things that I think are good, and I don't see him do many things that I think are bad. That's all.

I am constantly perplexed why we can't discuss the obvious attributes/shortcomings and actual game play of AU qb's here, without being accused of being a fanboy or a hater....Some are like that, no question, but certainty of opinion, in no way, reflects its accuracy. Human nature, it's going to happen, scroll past it and move on.

Many factors contributed to last year's offensive play and sadly QB play was among them. Both had moments, neither had a great year.

IF this happens, there must be a reason for it and I'd rather have a stop gap measure, than no measure at all..

The goal is to win. No win is certain, I refer you to Jax State game, some actions supply a better chance at winning than others.

I think Webb and White give us a one-two setup at QB that doesn't require changing the offense. Which one starts is not the point.

I wonder why anyone wouldn't want Sean White and Webb as our QB's? There has to be a reason but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Archived