2016 Tx Tech GT QB Davis Webb (Flip to Cal 5/18/16)

JMassie11

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, E has already said it, but in case you skimmed over it, please continue this via PMs. No need to continue the back and forth pubically.

Is there any type of cutoff date for transfers to commit?

Pretty sure that they have to enroll before the first day of class.

Nope. They have until 1 week after the first day of class in a semester to enroll & be in classes.

Any word on when he may visit?

Same answer as when you asked 2 days ago.If anything changes it will be posted.

Gee thanks

Don't hold your breath, 24. This is the kind of thing that happens behind closed doors until it's a done deal. There's a good chance it will be national news before it leaks to anyone here. Auburn doesn't want to needlessly upset it's QBs and Webb doesn't want to risk his guaranteed spot until he's locked another one.

So true, just thought the so-called insiders may know more than I on the situation. ��

You asked 2 days ago and got a reply on it. There was no point asking again so soon.

I thought my question was one of the reasons this board exists. It was about Webb, in the Webb thread, about a possible visit by Webb. Have you read some of the non-Webb nonsense in this thread? Thanks for pointing out how soon I should ask. I will make a note of it, for the future.

It's like you read someone's post, ignore what they're saying, recreate your own version of what they said, and then argue with it.

This has been pointed out several times. Hopefully this one will be the message that finally gets through.

^This^

Guys, E has already said it, but in case you skimmed over it, please continue this via PMs. No need to continue the back and forth pubically.

I'm done. I was just minding my business

Now that we're back to OP here's the latest from the Denver Post

http://www.denverpos...-await-decision

Not long ago, Davis Webb was sure he would finish his college football career at Colorado.

He still might, but he's no longer convinced Boulder will be his home this fall.

A former Texas Tech quarterback, Webb has announced he will graduate from Tech next month and transfer to a new school for his final season. In January, he gave a verbal commitment to CU and continued into March to express his allegiance to the Buffs.

Webb spent last weekend visiting the California campus in Berkeley, though, and there are reports that he will visit Auburn in the future.

Webb declined an interview request, but via text message to Buffzone.com, he did confirm that he's exploring his options.

"Just trying to gather as much information to make the best choice for myself," said Webb, who has spent time with CU head coach Mike MacIntyre this week.

The 6-foot-5, 225-pound Webb can play immediately this fall as a graduate transfer, and with just one season to play, he's looking for his best chance to start.

Webb started 14 games early in his career at Tech. Overall, he played in 23 games for the Red Raiders, throwing for 5,557 yards, 46 touchdowns and 22 interceptions. He was named the MVP of the 2013 Holiday Bowl.

Last season, Webb lost his starting job to sophomore star Patrick Mahomes. A dual-threat athlete, Mahomes threw for 4,653 yards and 36 touchdowns last season while also rushing for 456 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Mahomes is considered by many to be one of the top 10 quarterbacks in the country this coming season, and with him locked in as the starter — barring injury — Webb faced the prospect of being a backup for his final season at Tech.

When Webb committed in January, Colorado seemed like a great option.

CU's new co-offensive coordinator and receivers coach is Darrin Chiaverini, a former CU player who spent the past two seasons as an assistant at Texas Tech. With Chiaverini, the Buffs are implementing a lot of the offensive concepts that Webb ran at Tech.

While the Buffs return three-year starter Sefo Liufau (7,397 yards, 49 touchdowns in his career), his status for 2016 is in doubt because of a Lisfranc injury to his left foot. It knocked him out of the last 2½ games of last season and he didn't take part in spring ball.

If Liufau is out, Webb would be almost a lock to start at CU.

While Webb hasn't given a reason for looking at other options, it's possible that Liufau's health is playing a role in his decision. While CU and Liufau continue to say they don't know if he can play this year, Liufau appears to be on the fast track to recovery. He has been aggressive in his rehab and has been jogging a bit lately.

"I feel great right now," Liufau said last Saturday.

If Liufau, who is a leader in the locker room, is ready to go, Webb could find himself in a tough battle for the starting job in Boulder.

The battle may not be so difficult at Cal, which is trying to replace Jared Goff, who may wind up as the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft later this month. None of the handful of candidates at Cal have emerged as a front-runner this spring, so Webb could step in immediately and start.

Cal head coach Sonny Dykes would love to have Webb, who spent three years in Texas Tech's air-raid passing offense. Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury learned that offense from his playing days at Texas Tech under coach Mike Leach.

Dykes also runs the air raid, having worked for Leach for seven seasons at Tech, including each of Kingsbury's final three years as a player. Cal's new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach is Jake Spavital, who worked for one season — in 2009 — with Kingsbury at Houston. Spavital and Kingsbury are reportedly close friends.

Auburn doesn't have the coaching connections to Tech that Cal and CU have, but the Tigers have a need for a quality starting quarterback. They brought in junior college transfer John Franklin III to compete with Jeremy Johnson and Sean White, who split starts last season. According to reports out of Auburn, none of the three stood out during spring.

Webb has time to make a decision. He will not officially join his new team until enrolling for summer classes.

Now that we're back to OP here's the latest from the Denver Post

http://www.denverpos...-await-decision

Not long ago, Davis Webb was sure he would finish his college football career at Colorado.

He still might, but he's no longer convinced Boulder will be his home this fall.

A former Texas Tech quarterback, Webb has announced he will graduate from Tech next month and transfer to a new school for his final season. In January, he gave a verbal commitment to CU and continued into March to express his allegiance to the Buffs.

Webb spent last weekend visiting the California campus in Berkeley, though, and there are reports that he will visit Auburn in the future.

Webb declined an interview request, but via text message to Buffzone.com, he did confirm that he's exploring his options.

"Just trying to gather as much information to make the best choice for myself," said Webb, who has spent time with CU head coach Mike MacIntyre this week.

The 6-foot-5, 225-pound Webb can play immediately this fall as a graduate transfer, and with just one season to play, he's looking for his best chance to start.

Webb started 14 games early in his career at Tech. Overall, he played in 23 games for the Red Raiders, throwing for 5,557 yards, 46 touchdowns and 22 interceptions. He was named the MVP of the 2013 Holiday Bowl.

Last season, Webb lost his starting job to sophomore star Patrick Mahomes. A dual-threat athlete, Mahomes threw for 4,653 yards and 36 touchdowns last season while also rushing for 456 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Mahomes is considered by many to be one of the top 10 quarterbacks in the country this coming season, and with him locked in as the starter — barring injury — Webb faced the prospect of being a backup for his final season at Tech.

When Webb committed in January, Colorado seemed like a great option.

CU's new co-offensive coordinator and receivers coach is Darrin Chiaverini, a former CU player who spent the past two seasons as an assistant at Texas Tech. With Chiaverini, the Buffs are implementing a lot of the offensive concepts that Webb ran at Tech.

While the Buffs return three-year starter Sefo Liufau (7,397 yards, 49 touchdowns in his career), his status for 2016 is in doubt because of a Lisfranc injury to his left foot. It knocked him out of the last 2½ games of last season and he didn't take part in spring ball.

If Liufau is out, Webb would be almost a lock to start at CU.

While Webb hasn't given a reason for looking at other options, it's possible that Liufau's health is playing a role in his decision. While CU and Liufau continue to say they don't know if he can play this year, Liufau appears to be on the fast track to recovery. He has been aggressive in his rehab and has been jogging a bit lately.

"I feel great right now," Liufau said last Saturday.

If Liufau, who is a leader in the locker room, is ready to go, Webb could find himself in a tough battle for the starting job in Boulder.

The battle may not be so difficult at Cal, which is trying to replace Jared Goff, who may wind up as the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft later this month. None of the handful of candidates at Cal have emerged as a front-runner this spring, so Webb could step in immediately and start.

Cal head coach Sonny Dykes would love to have Webb, who spent three years in Texas Tech's air-raid passing offense. Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury learned that offense from his playing days at Texas Tech under coach Mike Leach.

Dykes also runs the air raid, having worked for Leach for seven seasons at Tech, including each of Kingsbury's final three years as a player. Cal's new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach is Jake Spavital, who worked for one season — in 2009 — with Kingsbury at Houston. Spavital and Kingsbury are reportedly close friends.

Auburn doesn't have the coaching connections to Tech that Cal and CU have, but the Tigers have a need for a quality starting quarterback. They brought in junior college transfer John Franklin III to compete with Jeremy Johnson and Sean White, who split starts last season. According to reports out of Auburn, none of the three stood out during spring.

Webb has time to make a decision. He will not officially join his new team until enrolling for summer classes.

Thanks for the update.

If we get him, great, if not I still have faith in our coaches and team. But good lord, I wish we could get all this straightened out.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he'll sign with us.

Don't know why but I agree with you. Just a feeling based on no facts.

I agree and think we will be better for it.

Per Phillip Marshall, today, we have not offered Webb and probably won't. Of all of the coaching tea leaves that people have been trying to read, I would say that this is pretty clinching proof that Gus is focused on moving back into the world of dual-threat QBs and has faith that Tyler and Jeremy can back-up Sean if we need to go play-action this year.

Ummmm it will take more than Philip Marshall for me to believe all of that, and the fact that they are now moving to try to get Jenkins makes me think the opposite of that actually

Ummmm it will take more than Philip Marshall for me to believe all of that, and the fact that they are now moving to try to get Jenkins makes me think the opposite of that actually

Agree

Agree

IF it is true that Gus is moving to try to get Jenkins while not offering Webb then that would mean Gus is acknowledging that he is a DT QB coach only and a DT QB coach that must rely on a transfer DT QB to be successful (and striking out with JF3). IF Gus is still pursuing Webb and Jenkins after signing JF3 then that indicates that Gus is really using the shotgun approach to try to find a ready-to-play QB after failing to develop JJ and SW.

wde

In no way is Gus not pursuing Webb an aknowledgment towards the necessity of a dtQB. That is such a huge leap.

In no way is Gus not pursuing Webb an aknowledgment towards the necessity of a dtQB. That is such a huge leap.

The search for lemmings is, apparently, seductive.

We don't need no stinkin' lemmings! We already have plenty leaping lemmings on this board.

CGM will never admit that he is a 100% DT QB coach. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we are even recruiting a pro-style QB. Not to say we won't recruit one at some point though.

We were recruiting 2 pro style guys pretty heavy this class. We did have like 4 DT guys really high though. But it wasn't solely DT guys.

Bentley & Hockman.

Narcisse, Pond and Barrett are three I can think of that are DT.

We will just have to agree to disagree at this point. How many non-DT HS QBs are we seriously recruiting currently? Oops, Scottsboro answered this question above. Thanks to him.

wde

That pot and kettle are pretty seductive as well.

wde

Archived