2016 Tx Tech GT QB Davis Webb (Flip to Cal 5/18/16)

JMassie11

Per CGC's book, that is a fact.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The similarities are many between this Webb saga and suggestions on this board when Russell Wilson considered visiting AU late Spring of the Khiel Frazier/Barrett Trotter/Clint Moseley era. The feeling by many (some still here) was that the staff would mess up the "good chemistry" between that QB batch and even considering Wilson would be flat being disloyal to that group. Whether we were ever in the running or not for Wilson, your QBs are either getting the job done or not. And it's hard to hide your QB in the SEC.

I pretty much know this as a fact but AU would have had Wilson if AU would have committed to Wilson being named the starter the day Wilson walked on campus. Gus was all for this but Chiz shot this down. Being named and being the guy on opening day is two different things. Chiz wanted to put his mark on the O and wanted the QB position to be open. Wisconsin told Wilson he'd be the QB from day one. Boom Wilson goes to Wisconsin. This was told to me directly from someone on AU's staff. Not DC. FWIW.

Gus told Marshall he'd be the man day one at AU. Marshall flips to AU.

Another Chiz (Jacobs) mistake.

Jacobs had nothing to do with it. He is not involved w/ the players coaches do or don't take.

My comment referred to Jacobs hiring Chiz.

The similarities are many between this Webb saga and suggestions on this board when Russell Wilson considered visiting AU late Spring of the Khiel Frazier/Barrett Trotter/Clint Moseley era. The feeling by many (some still here) was that the staff would mess up the "good chemistry" between that QB batch and even considering Wilson would be flat being disloyal to that group. Whether we were ever in the running or not for Wilson, your QBs are either getting the job done or not. And it's hard to hide your QB in the SEC.

I pretty much know this as a fact but AU would have had Wilson if AU would have committed to Wilson being named the starter the day Wilson walked on campus. Gus was all for this but Chiz shot this down. Being named and being the guy on opening day is two different things. Chiz wanted to put his mark on the O and wanted the QB position to be open. Wisconsin told Wilson he'd be the QB from day one. Boom Wilson goes to Wisconsin. This was told to me directly from someone on AU's staff. Not DC. FWIW.

Jacobs had nothing to do with it. He is not involved w/ the players coaches do or don't take.

His point was Jacobs hired Chiz. Cause effect relationship

And the president hired Jacobs. The BOT hired the president. Hell, blame all of them. :Sing:

But, yea... I truly believe that if all of the other P5 QBs would 100% buy into what they are being coached to do, and then bust their butts trying to be the best they could be, they would all be good.

That's a very bold statement, but I respect the heck out of you and will challenge it no further.

Appreciated and likewise.

Man...our fan base is headed......

FfEL31Q.gif

And the president hired Jacobs. The BOT hired the president. Hell, blame all of them. :Sing:

So Bo Jackson and Pat Sullivan are responsible for JF3 not hitting the receiver in stride for the TD.

The only reason WIlson chose WIsc over us was that Wisc had veteran and ALL-Big Ten OL coming back to support him. We had issues at OL going into that year. Wilson made the right choice..

Wrong. As WDE already said & has been posted many times from numerous connected people since RW chose Wisky, he chose Wisky because they guaranteed him QB1 while Chiz wouldn't even though Gus badly wanted him to.

got it. I agree...wasnt it Chizik too that had to be begged by Malzahn and others to really look at Cam and press to get him to AU?

I believe Coach Luper was at Blinn looking at a WR.

So Bo Jackson and Pat Sullivan are responsible for JF3 not hitting the receiver in stride for the TD.

And Mac Crawford too.

I would not be at all surprised if Chris Todd has given Davis Webb a call to share his experiences and what Auburn's all about. Todd's pretty close to the program right now and he, too, played quarterback at Texas Tech.

I would not be at all surprised if Chris Todd has given Davis Webb a call to share his experiences and what Auburn's all about. Todd's pretty close to the program right now and he, too, played quarterback at Texas Tech.

Not sure, but I think that would be an NCAA violation. Now, if Webb called him, I think that would be considered ok.

Not sure, but I think that would be an NCAA violation. Now, if Webb called him, I think that would be considered ok.

Todd is not employed by AU, shouldn't matter

He might be a booster though, which would be a violation I believe.

Cant be no different than Brad Lester doing the good work with Derrick Brown.

Does matter. Alumni nor boosters can't contact recruits, which is what DW is right now, unless they have an already established relationship with said recruit.

Cant be no different than Brad Lester doing the good work with Derrick Brown.

They already had a prior relationship through BL's coaching firm.

How many teams have offered Webb???

Colorado is the only known offer. AU likely won't officially offer until they know they got him.

I haven't read much of this thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed, but if AU offers Webb is that an indication they are giving him the starting job? I know they wouldn't say that, but E, realistically, would that be the case?

I haven't read much of this thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed, but if AU offers Webb is that an indication they are giving him the starting job? I know they wouldn't say that, but E, realistically, would that be the case?

I think it's more an indication that AU is confident that they land him. At this point, I don't think Gus can afford to promise the job to anyone, much less a grad transfer who hasn't been a part of the team.

I think it's more an indication that AU is confident that they land him. At this point, I don't think Gus can afford to promise the job to anyone, much less a grad transfer who hasn't been a part of the team.

Gus told Marshall that he'd be the guy from day one so Gus has done this but in this case I just don't know. I just don't like the idea of slow playing a guy then all of a sudden offer him this summer. Sink or swim with SW & JF3.

Educated guess? Sean White will be the QB next year and if he gets hurt or has a bad day, Webb can come in and we won't have to re-do the game plan. Of course Webb will be given "an opportunity" to win the job but I think our need for him is to be White's backup. Put JF3 in for White and the gameplan has to change. Put Webb in and the change of plans won't be necessary.

Educated guess? Sean White will be the QB next year and if he gets hurt or has a bad day, Webb can come in and we won't have to re-do the game plan. Of course Webb will be given "an opportunity" to win the job but I think our need for him is to be White's backup. Put JF3 in for White and the gameplan has to change. Put Webb in and the change of plans won't be necessary.

My take would be that Gus is looking for someone that can be better (if even by a little) than what we currently have. I also believe that if Webb comes it is because he knows he only has to be a little better to be the starter. Just like the rest of them Webb will be given every opportunity to start. To me it shows Gus is looking for someone that can get us to 10/11 wins, that the others cannot get us there.

Archived