2016 Tx Tech GT QB Davis Webb (Flip to Cal 5/18/16)

JMassie11

If you really think that we'd go out and get Webb after the spring and sw still starts that's a great indication you have an unhealthy crush on the kid....If you have worked out any kinda logic to convince yourself that sw is better than Webb you're probably sw dad or something....only logical thing you could maybe say is sw knows the playbook better. But hey if you convinced yourself that he's fast and agile enough to be a run threat for defenses and he can make every NFL throw on the field and he can throw 75 yards, etc....then I imagine that some could.

IDK if this Webb stuff is true but if they get him here he's playing and they are disappointed with every qb that we have that's NOT hurt. If we would've went after that qb that went to Virginia tech instead of jf3 Gus would've named him the starting qb last week

The thing is, Cole- and this is exactly what I said when we initially courted this guy- we need two good QBs, which we aren't even close to having in my opinion. A lot of people around here- even smart people- were saying that 5 was enough, and paying absolutely no attention whatsoever to the quality of those 5 guys: a guy still in high school, a redshirt freshman coming off surgery who wasn't even able to practice last year, a total and complete project who wasn't even listed as a quarterback by the recruiting services, the worst quarterback in recent SEC history through 3 games, and a sophomore with extremely limited experience. Anyway, I disagree that Gus pursuing the guy means 100% that he doesn't like Sean.

Now, if we actually get the guy, then it does sound like maybe we made him a promise. And, pure conjecture, I'm getting the feeling that Gus isn't happy with Sean on a personal level. But, in theory, I disagree that Gus looking for another quarterback means we don't have a single guy who is talented enough to start.

As for thinking Sean might actually be a good quarterback, no, that's not having a crush on him or being a family member. From what I saw of his film before he came to Auburn, he looked like a special kid to me. I said so before the 2015 season started. I said that he might genuinely push JJ in spring ball last year, even though I- like everybody else- assumed that JJ would be a pretty good quarterback. Sean doesn't throw it 75 yards, but he throws a hell of a football, good enough to run any offense in the SEC. He's not going to succeed with a lot of called runs, but he absolutely is mobile in the pocket. He's not fast, but he's very quick and can move around very well laterally while keeping his eyes downfield. This is why- along with, yes, his measurables- I've said that he reminds me a bit of a poor man's Drew Brees, which I know you disagree with. I don't "want" him to be good any more than I want all Auburn quarterbacks to be good. I don't love him, and certainly not because he's white, because "he's well spoken", because "he's got heart", because "he comes from a good family" or any of that other crap that people say about kids like Sean. (You didn't assign those sentiments to anybody, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.)

For the record, I'm high on Webb and am glad we're giving it a shot. I do think he could be the closest thing to what we hoped Jeremy would be. But, like Sean, I'm making my assessment based off the only meaningful information I have at my disposal, which is his film. I don't care what his stats are, I don't care why he didn't finish his career as a starter at Texas Tech and I don't care why he's looking for another team. When I watch him play football, I see him do things that I think are good, and I don't see him do many things that I think are bad. That's all.

Very well stated. Thanks!!

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you really think that we'd go out and get Webb after the spring and sw still starts that's a great indication you have an unhealthy crush on the kid....If you have worked out any kinda logic to convince yourself that sw is better than Webb you're probably sw dad or something....only logical thing you could maybe say is sw knows the playbook better. But hey if you convinced yourself that he's fast and agile enough to be a run threat for defenses and he can make every NFL throw on the field and he can throw 75 yards, etc....then I imagine that some could.

IDK if this Webb stuff is true but if they get him here he's playing and they are disappointed with every qb that we have that's NOT hurt. If we would've went after that qb that went to Virginia tech instead of jf3 Gus would've named him the starting qb last week

I think Webb and White give us a one-two setup at QB that doesn't require changing the offense. Which one starts is not the point.

I wonder why anyone wouldn't want Sean White and Webb as our QB's? There has to be a reason but I can't quite put my finger on it.

You're so incredibly daft.

The thing is, Cole- and this is exactly what I said when we initially courted this guy- we need two good QBs, which we aren't even close to having in my opinion. A lot of people around here- even smart people- were saying that 5 was enough, and paying absolutely no attention whatsoever to the quality of those 5 guys: a guy still in high school, a redshirt freshman coming off surgery who wasn't even able to practice last year, a total and complete project who wasn't even listed as a quarterback by the recruiting services, the worst quarterback in recent SEC history through 3 games, and a sophomore with extremely limited experience. Anyway, I disagree that Gus pursuing the guy means 100% that he doesn't like Sean.

Now, if we actually get the guy, then it does sound like maybe we made him a promise. And, pure conjecture, I'm getting the feeling that Gus isn't happy with Sean on a personal level. But, in theory, I disagree that Gus looking for another quarterback means we don't have a single guy who is talented enough to start.

As for thinking Sean might actually be a good quarterback, no, that's not having a crush on him or being a family member. From what I saw of his film before he came to Auburn, he looked like a special kid to me. I said so before the 2015 season started. I said that he might genuinely push JJ in spring ball last year, even though I- like everybody else- assumed that JJ would be a pretty good quarterback. Sean doesn't throw it 75 yards, but he throws a hell of a football, good enough to run any offense in the SEC. He's not going to succeed with a lot of called runs, but he absolutely is mobile in the pocket. He's not fast, but he's very quick and can move around very well laterally while keeping his eyes downfield. This is why- along with, yes, his measurables- I've said that he reminds me a bit of a poor man's Drew Brees, which I know you disagree with. I don't "want" him to be good any more than I want all Auburn quarterbacks to be good. I don't love him, and certainly not because he's white, because "he's well spoken", because "he's got heart", because "he comes from a good family" or any of that other crap that people say about kids like Sean. (You didn't assign those sentiments to anybody, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.)

For the record, I'm high on Webb and am glad we're giving it a shot. I do think he could be the closest thing to what we hoped Jeremy would be. But, like Sean, I'm making my assessment based off the only meaningful information I have at my disposal, which is his film. I don't care what his stats are, I don't care why he didn't finish his career as a starter at Texas Tech and I don't care why he's looking for another team. When I watch him play football, I see him do things that I think are good, and I don't see him do many things that I think are bad. That's all.

The difference in these posts (to me) is that Cole is trying to read why the coaches are doing this. McLoofus seems to be stating his reasons of why he himself thinks SW is adequate.

I wonder why anyone wouldn't want Sean White and Webb as our QB's? There has to be a reason but I can't quite put my finger on it.

*Heart* you, Clayton.

The difference in these posts (to me) is that Cole is trying to read why the coaches are doing this. McLoofus seems to be stating his reasons of why he himself thinks SW is adequate.

I actually also meant to agree with him about Jerod Evans. (I think that's who he was referring to at the end.)

And I was rejecting the notion that thinking White is adequate calls anybody's judgment or biases into question, or that we can concretely identify the coaches' intentions by observing their recruitment of additional quarterbacks. We get a lot closer to it if they actually sign Webb, though.

Hmm. Probably should've just gone with the TL;DR version in the first place. My bad, y'all.

*Heart* you, Clayton.

I just don't get why the issue gets danced around by this fool everytime Cole posts something. But I appreciate you Loof.

What was Cam's A-day stats---like 3of 8 or something??? Why are people looking at A-Day as any indication of our qb play this fall. The coaches see them in "closed" practices every day and know who the best one is for AU this fall!! Everyone needs to slow down on the A-Day meltdowns, imho !!

Some just grasp at anything that will support their firmly convictions....see that stuff here all the time

Or they bring up a valid point. Can you site an A-Day game where we witnessed stellar QB performance? I can't.

I am constantly perplexed why we can't discuss the obvious attributes/shortcomings and actual game play of AU qb's here, without being accused of being a fanboy or a hater....Some are like that, no question, but certainty of opinion, in no way, reflects its accuracy. Human nature, it's going to happen, scroll past it and move on.

Many factors contributed to last year's offensive play and sadly QB play was among them. Both had moments, neither had a great year.

The thing that is frustrating to me, and I assume others as well, are the people who hang on to the "poor QB play" mantra and refuse to consider the whys. I have zero problem with the statement that Jeremy has issues and they aren't easy to fix, but the people who continue to site "poor QB play" from Sean, and can't see that in the few games he was totally healthy, and even one where he was injured, he put up numbers that any team would be more than happy with, baffle me. Some site a lack of TD passes, but that's a function of the whole team, not him alone. He threw 1 INT in the end zone and several on target passes that were dropped. So, while he's not refined or ready to claim star status, he is a redshirt sophomore after all, I hope people can understand why many of us get frustrated by the "our QBs all suck" crowd when all of the evidence points to the fact that we have a quality QB on our roster who just needs to stay healthy.

Of course, by stating those facts, I'm a Sean fan boy (and probably a Franklin or Johnson hater... I can't keep up).

Many factors contributed to last year's offensive play and sadly QB play was among them. Both had moments, neither had a great year.

The thing that is frustrating to me, and I assume others as well, are the people who hang on to the "poor QB play" mantra and refuse to consider the whys.

Hi Preachers, my name's Choir...

I am constantly perplexed why we can't discuss the obvious attributes/shortcomings and actual game play of AU qb's here, without being accused of being a fanboy or a hater....Some are like that, no question, but certainty of opinion, in no way, reflects its accuracy. Human nature, it's going to happen, scroll past it and move on.

The thing that is frustrating to me, and I assume others as well, are the people who hang on to the "poor QB play" mantra and refuse to consider the whys. I have zero problem with the statement that Jeremy has issues and they aren't easy to fix, but the people who continue to site "poor QB play" from Sean, and can't see that in the few games he was totally healthy, and even one where he was injured, he put up numbers that any team would be more than happy with, baffle me. Some site a lack of TD passes, but that's a function of the whole team, not him alone. He threw 1 INT in the end zone and several on target passes that were dropped. So, while he's not refined or ready to claim star status, he is a redshirt sophomore after all, I hope people can understand why many of us get frustrated by the "our QBs all suck" crowd when all of the evidence points to the fact that we have a quality QB on our roster who just needs to stay healthy.

Of course, by stating those facts, I'm a Sean fan boy (and probably a Franklin or Johnson hater... I can't keep up).

I am certainly not wanting to open a can of worms by any mean. You and many others make very good well thought arguments about SW and what he can bring to the table. I happen to fall in the camp of AU needing a true DT QB to be a great team. That is only my opinion and actually my personal preference. I imagine it is your opinion that AU can be great with SW. Nothing wrong with that and doesn't make you a "fan boy" of one or hater of the other. Just difference of opinion. If SW starts I hope you are right and I am dead wrong.

The thing that is frustrating to me, and I assume others as well, are the people who hang on to the "poor QB play" mantra and refuse to consider the whys.

I agree, men....Some physical limitations were there at times.............some personnel issues around him at some positions didn't help either.....I don't think we've seen his ceiling.....We also don't know where that ceiling is....We have more back issues than Life Magazine......IF the coaching staff can pull it together, they deserve all the credit in the world...They own it, either way.

I agree, men....Some physical limitations were there at times.............some personnel issues around him at some positions didn't help either.....I don't think we've seen his ceiling.....We also don't know where that ceiling is....We have more back issues than Life Magazine......IF the coaching staff can pull it together, they deserve all the credit in the world...They own it, either way.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyup.

Just remember this about Sean WHite. He has only started 5 games, and was thrust into this after JJ's implosion after 3 games. That's a lot of pressure on an inexperienced QB.

I would like us to bring in Webb as the SR signal caller with a lot more experience and ability throwing the ball, and let White continue to learn.

Also, remember these stats from last year for Sean White...

+ first AU QB to throw for 250 or more yards in three consecutive games since Dameyune Craig in 1997

+ first AU freshman to ever accomplish the feat ... Auburn freshmen had thrown for at least 250 yards in a game only five

times in Auburn history prior to 2015 ...

+ Only the second freshman QB to throw for at least 250 yards in multiple games in Auburn history, joining Stan White

I think we know White's limitiations (small size, and limited deep ball accuracy and distance)

But we need a field general, and with Webb and/or White i think we can have that higher scoring offense

Just remember this about Sean WHite. He has only started 5 games, and was thrust into this after JJ's implosion after 3 games. That's a lot of pressure on an inexperienced QB.

I would like us to bring in Webb as the SR signal caller with a lot more experience and ability throwing the ball, and let White continue to learn.

+ first AU QB to throw for 250 or more yards in three consecutive games since Dameyune Craig in 1997

+ first AU freshman to ever accomplish the feat ... Auburn freshmen had thrown for at least 250 yards in a game only five

+ Only the second freshman QB to throw for at least 250 yards in multiple games in Auburn history, joining Stan White

I think we know White's limitiations (small size, and limited deep ball accuracy and distance)

But we need a field general, and with Webb and/or White i think we can have that higher scoring offense

You need to stop posting so much "Common Sense Information" with facts to back it up, or you will be disliked in-a-hurry by some on here. :dunno:

Kidding of course, great work!

You need to stop posting so much "Common Sense Information" with facts to back it up, or you will be disliked in-a-hurry by some on here. :dunno:

Kidding of course, great work!

:bow: thanks...I also know CS does not always equal wins..))

No offense, but I see why you are constantly getting in fights with people: it's like you can't make a post without taking a dig at someone who supports Sean and thinks he happens to be the best qb we have right now. You could have easily left out that entire first paragraph and made a perfectly accurate post, but you just had to needle the people on this board that you have to know by now are going to respond. Just me pointing out what I see, cause I gave no interest in fighting with you either.

And FTR I agree with your post.

*Heart* you, Clayton.

I just don't get why the issue gets danced around by this fool everytime Cole posts something. But I appreciate you Loof.

If you notice I've NEVER said I wouldn't want Webb as our qb....But he/she has to make things up to stalk my posts...But he/she thinks nobody notices

No offense, but I see why you are constantly getting in fights with people: it's like you can't make a post without taking a dig at someone who supports Sean and thinks he happens to be the best qb we have right now. You could have easily left out that entire first paragraph and made a perfectly accurate post, but you just had to needle the people on this board that you have to know by now are going to respond. Just me pointing out what I see, cause I gave no interest in fighting with you either.

And FTR I agree with your post.

I tell you what. You show a post where I myself have said sw isn't our best qb....I don't care if you don't like what I say, I may not like what you say one day but hey that would just be a disagreement. It's not that I'm saying sw isn't good and I have a problem with people that do. It's when people compare him to Marshall, cam, Todd, webb and so on and so forth. You could actually read my posts or you can scan them and post what you THINK I meant but yeah if something is said that I feel is outrageous I'll speak on it. Like everybody else on here.

And I don't fight with everybody, it's usually the same people so maybe it's more to it than just me....But I'm sure since I responded to this even though you wrote me I'm out of control or angry or something like that

But my response was to those couple of people that made fun or had something to say about my last post about sw when all I said is I think his deep ball is the weakest part of his game.....of course I'm sure you didn't see any of those posts but you felt the need to chastise me for whatever reason

We can agree to disagree on some things, I just want to make sure you know I'm not saying if you support or think sw can be good means you're not being realistic. I do think comparing him and saying things like he's the most accurate passer, or the smartest qb are ridiculous going from his short body of work.

Also when if I point out ONE freaking thing and I don't even say he's horrible but has to work on it but it has to be the biggest deal, to me you're a fan boy.

You saying he's quick....we just can't agree on that lol. I think someone said wouldn't have to change the offense with him. I don't think that's true.

Now as far as going after Webb right now it's just my opinion that if Gus does it he wants the guy to be a starter and if he does it after spring he decided he really needs the guy. That's all I was really saying. If anything my post was more of a shot towards jf3 than anybody

The thing that frustrates me is I can come with equal if not more logical reasons why not to just crown sw just yet but you would feel like your thoughts are superior or whatever. But the thing is every thread about him I'm in you're in just with the opposite view. So essentially you're doing the EXACT same thing I am only opposite but you feel like it's cool for you to state what you feel and wrong for me. I don't get that, even though clearly I take the least approved view but Damn

We definitely aren't running the 2013/14 offense with Sean White. No question about that.

I think I was responding a little bit to things you didn't actually say. That's on me.

You're probably right about Gus's intentions.

And you're right, Sean's not the most anything yet.

The thing that frustrates me is I can come with equal if not more logical reasons why not to just crown sw just yet but you would feel like your thoughts are superior our or whatever. But the thing is every thread about him I'm in you're in just with the opposite view. So essentially you're doing the EXACT same thing I am only opposite but you feel like it's cool for you to state what you feel and wrong for me. I don't get that, even though clearly I take the least approved view but Damn

I wasn't even talking to you or about you Cole. I don't know that I've ever ready you saying that all of our current QBs suck. Why do you feel the need to take offense at practically everything I say to anyone?

Well you didn't name any names and I actually thought about it but the last line led me to think you were talking about me (and I imagine many more) so if you weren't my bad. But your post is so ambiguous I don't think you can realistically say why am I taking offense....

And no I haven't ever said that all of our qb's suck. I don't believe sw suck and I haven't really seen jf3 or TQ play

I keep refreshing this, hoping to hear some relevant news about Webb coming to AU and all I keep seeing is the same people argue about SW. I wish we could just make an all things SW thread.

Archived