2016 Tx Tech GT QB Davis Webb (Flip to Cal 5/18/16)

JMassie11

I haven't read much of this thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed, but if AU offers Webb is that an indication they are giving him the starting job? I know they wouldn't say that, but E, realistically, would that be the case?

Educated guess? Sean White will be the QB next year and if he gets hurt or has a bad day, Webb can come in and we won't have to re-do the game plan. Of course Webb will be given "an opportunity" to win the job but I think our need for him is to be White's backup. Put JF3 in for White and the gameplan has to change. Put Webb in and the change of plans won't be necessary.

Another guess is Webb already has a guaranteed starting position for Colorado and he is looking at the next level (admittedly a long shot). Unless he is guaranteed the starting QB position (as Nick Marshall was) he sticks with the Colorado commit. If he is offered and is the starting QB, I can see SW as the backup and letting Sean get some PT during the season to prepare for 2017. And as Mike says, the gameplan does not need to be changed.

I'd prefer Gus coach up our present QBs for the up coming season, but it's his call.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read much of this thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed, but if AU offers Webb is that an indication they are giving him the starting job? I know they wouldn't say that, but E, realistically, would that be the case?

Educated guess? Sean White will be the QB next year and if he gets hurt or has a bad day, Webb can come in and we won't have to re-do the game plan. Of course Webb will be given "an opportunity" to win the job but I think our need for him is to be White's backup. Put JF3 in for White and the gameplan has to change. Put Webb in and the change of plans won't be necessary.

I doubt he would bring in Webb to be some backup to SW, who may be the best QB on the roster, but certainly isn't a world beater. If Webb comes it is because Gus thinks he is better than any of the guys we have now, and quite frankly that's probably the case. And based off his highlight, I think he's got a better arm and vision than SW.

I think you are dead on about having 2 reliable guys who can back each other up with no game plan change, but I don't think there's any question that Webb is more ready to start than Sean. Webb has the equivalent of two full seasons under his belt, while Sean has 7 games. Admittedly, Webb would have to learn our offense, but if we are focusing on drop-back style of QB play, I would think he could pick it up pretty quickly.

I do think that if we don't offer the start to Webb, he won't come. Kingsbury is touting him as a top 5 QB in the NFL draft. Someone who has that kind of potential isn't going to spend his senior year as a back-up.

What we need is a poll:

Will you feel more optimistic about our chances of success next season(win 9+ games) if we add another QB to the roster?

Too bad I'm on the phone and cannot do it myself.

Is this what AU has become in the last five years in basketball and football. Scrambling around looking for Jucos ,grad transfers and unhappy guys looking to transfer ?

Is this what AU has become in the last five years in basketball and football. Scrambling around looking for Jucos ,grad transfers and unhappy guys looking to transfer ?

In basketball... yes... we need depth and talent until Pearl can get a mature squad.

In football, we don't look for them, they look for us. We have proven to be a great place for transfers to showcase and make it to the next level. With Cam being... well... Cam, and both Nicks coming out of JuCo, succeeding mightily at AU, and ending up in the NFL, anyone looking to transfer, especially to the SEC, is going to give us a look. If they are great players, we're certainly not going to say "sorry, not interested".

I think we'd all prefer that Gus sticks with what he's got because it means what he already has is good enough. The fact that Gus is looking around still is alarming. Just my opinion, but I don't see how him looking to add another QB is good for us unless that QB is just flat better than the guys we have.

I think you are dead on about having 2 reliable guys who can back each other up with no game plan change, but I don't think there's any question that Webb is more ready to start than Sean. Webb has the equivalent of two full seasons under his belt, while Sean has 7 games. Admittedly, Webb would have to learn our offense, but if we are focusing on drop-back style of QB play, I would think he could pick it up pretty quickly.

I do think that if we don't offer the start to Webb, he won't come. Kingsbury is touting him as a top 5 QB in the NFL draft. Someone who has that kind of potential isn't going to spend his senior year as a back-up.

Good points all around, especially that it's worth courting another QB just for depth.

I've found it half sad and half hilarious that so many people are acting surprised and disappointed that 1) the guy with the worst 3-game start of any SEC QB in forever who got benched and then didn't play like anything resembling what was expected of him the entire season*, 2) the redshirt FR coming off surgery* and 3) the 3* project with poor technique* didn't annihilate our defense in spring ball. Even the one guy who nobody can say anything really bad about- other than he lacks prototypical size for the position, isn't a dual threat guy and got hurt last year- is still mighty green compared to what you'd want a starting QB to be.

*All of those things have been true for months. The "we don't need another quarterback" chatter around the time we first courted this guy was silly then and is proving to be whatever-the-opposite-of-prophetic-is now.

I think we'd all prefer that Gus sticks with what he's got because it means what he already has is good enough. The fact that Gus is looking around still is alarming. Just my opinion, but I don't see how him looking to add another QB is good for us unless that QB is just flat better than the guys we have.

Serviceable depth behind Sean would be good for us, but I don't think Gus is going after grad transfers while thinking they're not any better than the ones we already have either. I fully believe the GT is being brought in to start if we get one.

Obviously Gus read this board after the A Day game and realized he was in big trouble at the QB position. This explains the sudden and desperate moves right after A Day to get convicts and QBs with broken arms to transfer to AU.

This should go without saying, but I know this board...that was several layers of sarcastic!

How many teams have offered Webb???

Colorado is the only known offer. AU likely won't officially offer until they know they got him.

Is it due to his disinterest in other teams or do other teams feel he isn't worthy of an offer?

How many teams have offered Webb???

Colorado is the only known offer. AU likely won't officially offer until they know they got him.

Is it due to his disinterest in other teams or do other teams feel he isn't worthy of an offer?

I don't think its either really. I think teams know he is going to want to start, thats why hes transferring in the first place. A team isn't going to offer a guy with one year of eligibility unless their desperate and need an immediate fix. If you had a decent starter last year as a SO or JR, benching them for 1 year would regress development.

If this actually happens it means Gus doesn't like any of our QBs and hes banking on Woody next year. Thats my opinion anyways.

Unfortunately baseball not looking to good either.

I would rather just go with W.Barrett and let it fly. I know crazy.

Every report I've seen from people who saw Barrett play in high school say he'll need a year of redshirting followed by at least one on the bench before he's ready for college play.

Jeff Burger, Reggie Slack and D. Craig were all 4th year juniors before they became the starting QB. Jason Campbell started sooner by a year but he wasn't polished yet. Like it or not the development of a QB takes time. Lots of time. Gus hasn't had enough time with any QB for us to tell whether he can develop a QB or not.

If that turns out to be true, then Gatewood would be competing directly with Barrett for PT and Gatewood would not be a freshman either. Barrett hopefully can progress quickly.

Unfortunately baseball not looking to good either.

That is a bit the way of basebAll...but in basketball our last three coaches...including BP have followed this pattern.. I can't t see this leading to consistency anywhere.

FTR, I'm good with White.

But I doubt he'd set passing records at Tech any year.

Programs miss on qb's a lot.

Texas (for example) has struggled worse than us getting/developing the right qb.

This Webb kid is a weapon.

I hope it happens.

Texas (for example) has struggled worse than us getting/developing the right qb.

I hope it happens.

Interesting bullet point analysis.

I like it.

I hope it happens.

Me too...

I hope it happens.

that is great shady

with a little more effort

you could have haikus

I hope it happens.

that is great shady

with a little more effort

you could have haikus

Well done mustache!!! Well done.

I would like to get this guy in and let him QB this year with whoever backing him up and then turn it over to Woody Barrett in 2017. None of them impressed me last year or the A-day game.I know there is a lot of love for SW but I just don't see it and Gus needs to win this year..

Question:

If SW, who came in a much more accomplished and polished QB, struggled as a RFr, what makes people think WB will be ready to surpass the other QBs as a RFr?

Question:

If SW, who came in a much more accomplished and polished QB, struggled as a RFr, what makes people think WB will be ready to surpass the other QBs as a RFr?

The same thing that always makes fans think that the kid in high school is already better than the guy 3 years deep. Whatever that is, I'll never understand.

Question:

Because WB hasn't played for Auburn, therefore he can't suck and has to be the answer.

Yellow font.

Question:

If it takes a chicken and a half a day and a half to lay an egg and a half, how long does it take a wooden legged grasshopper to kick all of the seeds out of a dill pickle?.....The world may never know.......

Archived