2016 Tx Tech GT QB Davis Webb (Flip to Cal 5/18/16)

JMassie11

If Gus is really going after this guy...just think about it....the qb's aren't as good as many of you say and think if Gus is trying to get this guy playing for us

Exactly. Again it is an "if", but if Gus is going after him especially after spring, it sounds like AU opened the communication back up. I wonder if Webb even had an offer earlier in the year when he was originally looking for schools.

It was reported he didn't.

That's my understanding as well.

What a mess.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW I would be a bit surprised if Webb does not visit AU.

On the offer thing I don't think 1 will be reported til he is on campus. I also don't think 1 will be reported til the coaches feel they have a good shot of landing Webb.

I would rather just go with W.Barrett and let it fly. I know crazy.

Every report I've seen from people who saw Barrett play in high school say he'll need a year of redshirting followed by at least one on the bench before he's ready for college play.

Jeff Burger, Reggie Slack and D. Craig were all 4th year juniors before they became the starting QB. Jason Campbell started sooner by a year but he wasn't polished yet. Like it or not the development of a QB takes time. Lots of time. Gus hasn't had enough time with any QB for us to tell whether he can develop a QB or not.

It's amazing how when you look at all these schools that are able to start QBs after an RS year and they play great. Georgia's probably going to be starting a true frosh this year. Are we seriously stuck in this rut until 2019?!

Why has our QB recruiting been so bad?

This was addressed extensively yesterday. On paper QB recruiting has been fine. Other quality schools wanted these kids. The bigger question is development & it comes from 1 glaring fact. Gus & Rhett have not developed 1 solitary quality QB they signed out of HS as HC or assistants in their collegiate careers except for maybe Mitch Mustain if you want to call it that as much as Nutt & Gus disagrred on how to use MM & the O.

^He obviously isn't the answer this year, but we need WB to be at least serviceable after it. We need Savis or Eli this year...

^He obviously isn't the answer this year, but we need WB to be at least serviceable after it. We need Savis or Eli this year...

He only has this year......

On the offer thing I don't think 1 will be reported til he is on campus. I also don't think 1 will be reported til the coaches feel they have a good shot of landing Webb.

Cal could blow him away first just like us with Taylor.

True he visited and has not flipped yet to the Bears so that's a good sign. In fact, it was after his Cal visit he said he would visit AU.

This was addressed extensively yesterday. On paper QB recruiting has been fine. Other quality schools wanted these kids. The bigger question is development & it comes from 1 glaring fact. Gus & Rhett have not developed 1 solitary quality QB they signed out of HS as HC or assistants in their collegiate careers except for maybe Mitch Mustain if you want to call it that as much as Nutt & Gus disagrred on how to use MM & the O.

Last year's class was actually underwhelming to me because Gus knew what he had at the end of last season and now he has to call up Davis again. Unless he put his eggs into the JF3 basket and now he realizes JF3 isn't up to the task, I have to think he is crazy for just now reaching out to Davis with a committable offer. And nobody really sought JF3 that much to play QB. I personally wanted Jerod Evans.

Yes we got Barrett also. I'm just talking about the players that were sought to be a factor immediately

True he visited and has not flipped yet to the Bears so that's a good sign. In fact, it was after his Cal visit he said he would visit AU.

Oh well that's good. I didn't realize that he already took the visit.

If Gus is really going after this guy...just think about it....the qb's aren't as good as many of you say and think if Gus is trying to get this guy playing for us

Exactly. Again it is an "if", but if Gus is going after him especially after spring, it sounds like AU opened the communication back up. I wonder if Webb even had an offer earlier in the year when he was originally looking for schools.

So he didn't have an offer, now Gus may offer him after spring. Gus played four QB's in the A-day scrimmage... Is it just me, or is this not sounding too good for our current QB situation?

So he didn't have an offer, now Gus may offer him after spring. Gus played four QB's in the A-day scrimmage... Is it just me, or is this not sounding too good for our current QB situation?

Well, no one trusts JJ, Queen is hurt again, JF3 needs more work than hoped. That leaves us 1 QB who himself hasn't proven spectacular (but still may). I'd say that doesn't sound too good.

Where's Doc when you need him??? Need someone to positively spin this for us, and Doc is just the man!!!

I personally wanted Jerod Evans.

You and me both, brother. How he wasn't pursued defies explanation.

Still one of the biggest mysteries I can't understand

The similarities are many between this Webb saga and suggestions on this board when Russell Wilson considered visiting AU late Spring of the Khiel Frazier/Barrett Trotter/Clint Moseley era. The feeling by many (some still here) was that the staff would mess up the "good chemistry" between that QB batch and even considering Wilson would be flat being disloyal to that group. Whether we were ever in the running or not for Wilson, your QBs are either getting the job done or not. And it's hard to hide your QB in the SEC.

The similarities are many between this Webb saga and suggestions on this board when Russell Wilson considered visiting AU late Spring of the Khiel Frazier/Barrett Trotter/Clint Moseley era. The feeling by many (some still here) was that the staff would mess up the "good chemistry" between that QB batch and even considering Wilson would be flat being disloyal to that group. Whether we were ever in the running or not for Wilson, your QBs are either getting the job done or not. And it's hard to hide your QB in the SEC.

I wasn't around for the Russell Wilson transfer talk but it seems like most people around here are more than willing to find another QB at this point. There isn't much QB chemistry to mess up at this point. It's not like either QB has separated himself from the pack so the starting spot is still up for the taking.

Still one of the biggest mysteries I can't understand

Yep.

I pretty much know this as a fact but AU would have had Wilson if AU would have committed to Wilson being named the starter the day Wilson walked on campus. Gus was all for this but Chiz shot this down. Being named and being the guy on opening day is two different things. Chiz wanted to put his mark on the O and wanted the QB position to be open. Wisconsin told Wilson he'd be the QB from day one. Boom Wilson goes to Wisconsin. This was told to me directly from someone on AU's staff. Not DC. FWIW.

Gus told Marshall he'd be the man day one at AU. Marshall flips to AU.

Each of our QBs has a critical shortcoming or 2 that cannot be coached up at this point. That all goes back to talent identification and errors in recruiting. If you took their best strengths and compiled them together you'd have a decent QB. This is not new information, we've known this since the middle of last season. It's kind of baffling that we again pursued and signed a QB with an achilles heel (JF3).

Size is overstated and injuries are overinflated. I believe many have just attatched themselves to those talking points to justify their opinions. There are many QB s that have been and are still being very successful with the same size. Russle Wilson is 5'11" 205 and Drew Brees is 6' 210. Sean is 6' 200-205. Injuries? He hurt his foot, was rushed back way too soon which led to his knee. It's not like he has had multiple surgeries and is still recovering.

What is Sean White's "critical shortcoming"?

Size and injuries.

There is a long list of very successful college quarterbacks who had measurables similar to or smaller than White's. Johnny Manziel would be the most recent and most obvious one.

And, at this point, his injuries are in no way a "critical shortcoming". If he goes back out there and keeps racking them up, then yes, you can call him injury prone.

Archived